MYSTcommunity: Make Sure You Have Travel Insurance! - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Make Sure You Have Travel Insurance! Healthcare is free only to Canadians.

#1 User is offline   Erithan 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)
  • Group: Member

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:36 AM

This is a reminder to anyone who may have forgotten or was unaware that they should be getting some sort of travel medical insurance prior to travelling to Mysterium in Toronto from some other country.

Many healthcare costs are covered for Canadians by our government, but for a traveller without insurance, you would be looking at $1000's a day (you are not covered by our government obviously).

As a result, it is worth paying a couple bucks to get some sort of travel medical insurance. This is often available through institutions like your bank, your home or life insurer, credit card company, or independant companies.

This sort of insurange is generally universally recommened to people who travel, but for some reason people often come up with the idea that "Canadians get free healthcare therefore I will get free healthcare as a traveller in Canada", this is a false assumption.

And of course the rule of the umbrella applies here - if you bring it, you won't have to use it! :tongue:

See you soon! :)

#2 User is offline   MystRivenExile 

• Admiral of the White

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:57 PM

I'm assuming they take your company's health insurance if you have your card, right? I mean a big company like CIGNA...

Either way, I'd have to be dying in order for the HMO to finally agree to cover me.....

#3 User is offline   FahrmBoy 

• Group: Veteran Member

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:16 AM

Come on, Jerle's a retired nurse. We'll be safe.

Oh wait, she's not coming. No.... :tongue:

#4 User is offline   Erithan 

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:51 PM

MystRivenExile, on Jul 12 2004, 10:57 PM, said:

I'm assuming they take your company's health insurance if you have your card, right? I mean a big company like CIGNA...

Either way, I'd have to be dying in order for the HMO to finally agree to cover me.....

You need to call up your company and ask them if your insurance is accepted in Canada (or if there is some sort of travel medical insurance thingy in it all).

#5 User is offline   T'resah the Scrivener 

• shokhootahn (instructor)

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:45 PM

Erithan, this is such an incredibly good idea that I actually called my insurance company and checked. It is VERY SELDOM that a posting moves me to do something constructive, that doesn't cost money. Make note of this.

My semi-evil HMO told me how I would be covered, and this may apply to other Americans with group medical coverage as well. The service person I spoke to was quite helpful. So--this is what happens if there's a medical emergency:

You go to the hospital or doctor, receive treatment, and pay up front for the services. Most people pay by credit card, and the exchange rate is automatically calculated by the credit card company. If you pay cash Canadian, get a receipt. In all cases, get an itemized bill. Turn those over to your insurance company on your return, and you will be REIMBURSED less deductible and all that. Deductibles and percentages are the same as local service. The helpful service person told me to note what the exchange rate was (during the medical emergency) that day as well.

I asked about preferred providers. That is an issue with a lot of HMOs, and I told her I would have no idea who was preferred for my plan in Toronto. Service Person assured me that anyone licensed to perform medical services of the kind they insure is considered a preferred provider--as long as it is a covered service. So no problem, unless I want to see the local shaman for my demonic possession issues.

This coverage is worldwide, BTW. It was worth the call to find this out!

T'resah, who feels MUCH BETTER now :tongue:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users