MYSTcommunity: Guild Of Greeters Mysterium Presentation - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Guild Of Greeters Mysterium Presentation

#1 User is offline   MPaans 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:38 AM

Hi everyone!

For everyone who hasn't seen the awesome video presentation of the Guild Of Greeters yet, here are the links:

High Resolution (53MB)

Low Resolution (21MB)

Accompanying Literature (PDF)

Or go to the Guild Of Greeters Download Page for the same stuff. :)

#2 User is offline   Catherine 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Member

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:17 AM

Anything for us Macsters?

Since nothing opened but a blank page even though it said "done" I'm presuming it's for PC only, right? :)

#3 User is offline   Ti'ana Katarina 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:46 AM

They're .wmv files, which can be played on a Mac if you have Windows Media Player. :P

(Which I've been too lazy to redownload for a while now...should probably do that, no? :))

#4 User is offline   Catherine 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

Thanks TK.

You mean I have to download YET ANOTHER, ahem, sorry for yelling, media player! How many do I need? Can't we get some standardization going in this playing/streaming audio/video department?

Sorry for the rant ... and the derail.

We now return to the topic which is already in progress.

#5 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:44 PM

Wow. i don't regret having to downmload WiMP for that. That was powerful.

#6 User is offline   Kha'tie 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for posting this Mars (and GoG!!)

I was in the front row which I'm going to affectionately rename the splash zone... tears were pouring and with good reason. This was a powerful moment in the history of Mysteria...

:P :) :(

Thank you THANK YOU Greeters.

I love you all!!! :)

#7 User is offline   River 

• River

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:03 PM

I wail and I rant.

My selfish natures has felt cheated by being excluded from the realm of URU, as if the game were my right.

Now I have been given a gift by the Guild of Greeters which has humbled me and injected me with a greater loss. A loss for the adventure of life for those whom life has become all the more precious when you realize that it is so fleeting and fragile.

My heart is both heavy and ready to burst. I am sorry my words are so paltry.

Thank you for this gift and this message. Maybe the end has indeed, not been written.

River

#8 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:196082

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:31 PM

Catherine, on Jul 28 2004, 08:15 PM, said:

How many do I need? Can't we get some standardization going in this playing/streaming audio/video department?

It's been there for ten years and known as "MPEG". Problem is, some people appear to think that WMV is superior.

#9 User is offline   Maxsilver 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:41 AM

Problem is, some people appear to think that WMV is superior

Well, it is, assuming you get Microsoft to pay you enough. :)

And QuickTime Movies tend to compress a lot nicer than MPEG for there filesize.

#10 User is offline   Catherine 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:18 AM

Well, I bit the proverbial bullet and went and downloaded WMP for MacOSX. And I have to say Quicktime is still my fave. The movie seemed to take much longer to load and you can't watch what's there while the download progresses. But ... now my viewing horizons have expanded.

And I'm so happy that I got to see that film. It was wonderfully done! I often wondered how someone who had physical limitations would like playing URU and especially playing in Live. I wondered if it would be a joy to simulate running and jumping, interacting with people socially through avatars or if it would just remind them of what they couldn't do in RL, whatever that distinction means.

Now I know how 4 people feel and I can see through their stories that if I thought I was disappointed when Live was cancelled I can imagine how devastating it was to those who depended on D'ni for filling a part of their lives with the things they were missing and unable to do outside of this virtual world.

We all play these wonderful games for a wide variety of reasons. A lot of those reasons are kept private even among this community. Thank you for sharing your stories.

#11 User is offline   FahrmBoy 

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:28 PM

You said it, Catherine. :)

I had no idea what to expect from the GoG presentation, for I was completely oblivious to their activities and their work.

Their video, however dissillusioned me, and I have newfound respect for them and their dedication. I also see Uru and the community as a whole in a different light. That simple collection of images and stories was beyond powerful, and it really summed up what it means to be a have a community, to be mutual friends, and to be able to explore a beautiful world. It managed to draw a tear from my eye, and that is a rare occurance.

:P

#12 User is offline   Danny R 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 30 July 2004 - 07:17 AM

Having missed all of the interactive stages of Uru :P, I've also had to fight back my tears (well, I was in company while watching for the first time, so sue me :( ).

Then my "practical" brain cells kicked in, resurrecting some thoughts I've been having ever since I had read a post made by someone with a disability in one of the many threads following Uru Live's demise, a post that hinted at what we've witnessed now more clearly in this video.

I had always thought that marketing Uru Live as a mere game is vastly underestimating and underrating its true potential. As those who have experienced it know, and as we're reminded by this video, it goes way beyond.  Cyan's vision, as expressed by Rand in the 2001 "Evolving The Vision" part I movie, was to create something that would raise entertainment to a new level. You remember - "Entertainment changes, you don't come home from work thinking about what show you're going to watch, you think about where you want to travel next, what path you want to take and who you want to travel with."  Well - as we now see it can go even beyond that. (And we haven't even seen everything Cyan had envisioned!).

So - bear with me - here's this very basic, rough and totally undeveloped idea that's been milling around in the back of my mind for a while now:

I'm not the kind of guy who supports government intrusions into a free market (unless when megacorporations need to be restrained a bit in their power, or in matters of pollution and such, but that's another topic I'm not going into here :D).  Still - would it be such a far-out idea to make Uru Live part of a healthcare or social program of some kind, shape or form? Public funding in that department may be on the decline but there's still enough cash being thrown around to at least support a brilliant - and actually working - project like Uru Live. A lot less efficient programs and methods are enjoying this kind of support .

Of course it would take some mastermind, or rather a team of several brilliant minds, with lots of energy and know-how (just think of the legal monkey-business attached) to flesh out the idea and come up with a working, applicable model, but I don't think it'd be all too utopian. I personally am at a bit of a loss in terms of practical suggestions but I'm sure there are ways. A foundation of some kind? Or ... well, there's certainly more that I just can't think of right now. Do we have any lobbying talents here? :braces:  Many companies, and not just the pharmas, are tied into healthcare - maybe take a cue from those? Having a game producer and a game distributor join in would certainly be a novelty, and surely would make some media headlines. Synergy, again. :tomato:

How this idea would be implemented, and what Cyan and Ubi may think about it in terms of their image and participation, that's beyond my ability to fathom, of course.

weeeeeellll ... it's just this wild theory I have, ye know ..... may not lead to anything but I thought nothing's lost by throwing it out in the open ...

:)

Thanks for the great video, Greeters!  :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users