MYSTcommunity: Interesting Details On Exile's Creation Revealed - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Interesting Details On Exile's Creation Revealed Something for Exile non-likers to read

#1 User is offline   albino 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)
  • Group: Member

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

Okay, so this is one week old or possibly older, but I couldn't find it anywhere here and I found it very interesting. And it seems to me a lot of people don't know this, though they should.

---

There is an interesting thread going on over at MystObsession. At first, it wasn't interesting at all, since it was merely yet another Exile bashing thread. But in the discussion there were some focus on Mary DeMarle, who wrote the story for Exile and also for Revelation. Some people were shouting some pretty mean things about her. And eventually she gave a very interesting answer (shortened, important stuff in bold):

Mary DeMarle at MystObsession, on Jul 27, said:

After talking to people at Mysterium, I realized that many of you do not know the full story behind how Myst 3 and Myst 4 came into existence. You’ve heard that a company other than Ubisoft (Dreamforge) was originally hired to create Myst 4 – but did you know that Dreamforge was hired to create their game before Presto was hired to create Myst 3? In fact, Dreamforge’s "story of the brothers" was originally intended to be released as Myst 3. Presto was only hired after it became apparent that Dreamforge’s game would take at least 4 years to develop.

The game’s publisher (at that time it was Mattel, not Ubisoft) wanted a Myst game to come out sooner than that, so Presto was given only 18 months to create Exile. Cyan told us not to tell the story of Releeshahn, so we couldn’t expand the mythos in that direction. Nor we could we tell the full story of the brothers, since that one was being developed by Dreamforge. To complicate things even further, we had to be very careful not to create a story line that might conflict with anything Dreamforge put in their game – the details of which were still being worked out and not known to us when our development of Exile began.

A very interesting challenge, you might say, but one that all of us at Presto were committed to accomplishing.

Exile went nowhere, and the graphics made me angry, angry that people didn't have the dedication to create something that would raise the bar over Riven.

I am sorry that Exile’s graphics made you angry, but the assumption that your statement makes is flat out wrong. The creative team who made Exile were some of the most dedicated people I know. They routinely worked over 20 hours a day trying to perfect the game – one of the artists worked so hard that when Exile was finally released, he literally didn’t know what to do with himself. After spending more than four months of his life never leaving Presto’s offices for more than 4 hours at a time – literally eating and sleeping at work every day (and weekends too!) just to get everything finished on time – he was almost afraid to go home because he didn’t remember what his life had been like before Exile began. He had lost touch with almost all his friends and family, and he didn’t know how to restart relationships that had lain fallow for so many months.

So you see, the team definitely did have the dedication and commitment to create something that would raise the bar over Riven; they just didn’t have the time. Riven took 4 years to complete. Presto had only 18 months and a limited budget in which to do it. As it was, they practically killed themselves doing it.

The result was Exile – which admittedly does have its flaws – but it’s still a game of which I’m proud to have been a part.

Now, of course they haven't been able to tell the fans about Dreamforges cancelled game until very recently, as Myst 4 has basically been a secret. So, since the fans didn't get to know the whole story, they naturally thought that the flaws were due to incompetence/lack of dedication/whatever. But this post at least changed my view of the game, because given those circumstances, it is fantastic that they managed to pull it off at all, I'd say.

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:191882

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:59 PM

Whoa.

That completely changes things for me.

Thank you for sharing this.

#3 User is offline   Eztaephné 

• telahm (guildsman)

Posted 03 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

That is interesting. I've never been and Exile fan, but I appreciated parts of it...now I appreciate it even more. Thanks for posting.

#4 User is offline   Talonfire 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

I've always considered Exile to be an excellent game, and now I consider it that more so. Exile is amazing now that I know the full details about the development, it gives even more reason to admire Presto studios for living up to the Myst name, though some argue that it didn't do that.

#5 User is offline   Kehra 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:56 PM

I thought Exile was good. Edanna made me mad but that was just a me thing :)

Anyway, interesting to find where the plot had to come from, that had to be difficult to just pull something out of the air that didn't conflict with something they knew nothing about.

#6 User is offline   Raeth 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:24 AM

I enjoyed Exile very much and the wave of people saying they didn't like it because it wasn't Riven annoyed me.

#7 User is offline   Linkbookmaster 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:01 PM

I'm sure Releeshahn WILL be in Revelation

#8 User is offline   albino 

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:11 PM

Linkbookmaster, on Aug 4 2004, 10:01 PM, said:

It won't...

#9 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:191882

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:28 PM

It can't be. That's been stated before. repeatedly. In several places.

#10 User is offline   J'ohn 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:36 PM

Riven took 4 years to complete. Presto had only 18 months and a limited budget in which to do it.

Concerning Riven's prduction, I only have three words to say...
Richard Vander Wende :)

Ah, I hadn't known that Exile was being produced (in thery, at least) with the storyline of another game taken for granted. That complicates matters, assuredly.

I still consider Exile the least enjoyable game of the series so far. That doesn't mean that it is not a good game, of course; far from it. Neither does it mean that Presto staff were being any less talented or dilligent; the work they managed to do considering the constraints in time, resources and storyline freedom is nothing short of examplary.

So, although I do think that Exile's quality as an adventure game doesn't quite live up to the name of the Myst series, I don't consider Presto responsible for that. :)

And this has something do with this thread... how? :P

SBS :(

#11 User is offline   Ti'ana Katarina 

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:51 PM

J'ohn, on Aug 4 2004, 05:36 PM, said:

And this has something do with this thread... how? :)

Maybe it's a "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" thing...:P

:)

#12 User is offline   myst-bert 

• Group: Team Member

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:35 PM

Well, I always liked Exile, and now it just seems to make me like it more...to develop the game in such a short timeframe...wow...

#13 User is offline   iPenguin 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

I never really had a problem with Exile. I found it enjoyable, the movement was nice, the storyline was interesting at times and it held my attention. It doesn't live up to Riven, but it isn't a disgrace to the Myst name, and now that I see the conditions under which they pulled Exile off I am amazed.

Let us hope that Revelation will be amazing because they HAVE the time to make it so.

#14 User is offline   Lothlorien 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:50 AM

iPenguin, on Aug 8 2004, 03:42 AM, said:

I never really had a problem with Exile. I found it enjoyable, the movement was nice, the storyline was interesting at times and it held my attention. It doesn't live up to Riven, but it isn't a disgrace to the Myst name, and now that I see the conditions under which they pulled Exile off I am amazed.

Let us hope that Revelation will be amazing because they HAVE the time to make it so.

Ditto!

Good thread, albi. I never realised all that stuff!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users