MYSTcommunity: Mysterium in the SF Bay Area - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Mysterium in the SF Bay Area Putting together a site...

#1 User is offline   The Bracks 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:42 PM

I'm getting a site ready pitching Mysterium 2005 in the San Francisco Bay Area (namely, San Jose or San Francisco, as people have shown interest in both cities).

I live in Santa Rosa (a bit north of SF) and I would really like to see a Mysterium held near me so I might actually be able to attend, but I still live far enough away (and I haven't lived here long enough!) to know of a lot of good attractions, hotels, etc.

If you would like to contribute some information to the site I'm putting together, it would be much appreciated -- any info you have on sightseeing, lodging, weather, geography, flight information, etc. would be great. :) You can either post it here or just drop me a PM.

(This is mostly aimed at the people who expressed an interest, and know a lot about the area: Catherine, mszv, Lord Hydronium?, etc., but anyone and everyone is welcome to help out! :P)

#2 User is offline   Lord Hydronium 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:25 PM

My uncle worked for Fodor's travel guides, and lives in San Francisco. I should be able to get some good info from him. I'll post it here when I get it.

#3 User is offline   Lusus Naturae 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:03 PM

Anywhere but San Francisco.

#4 User is offline   Lord Hydronium 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:25 PM

What's so bad about San Francisco?

Just from a quick Google search, I found where we can do EDGE in Golden Gate Park. That's two birds with one stone, there.

#5 User is offline   The Bracks 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:05 PM

:P A great start, LH! I'll put it on the list.... :( (And how fortunate that it has -- check -- signs. :))

And yeah, Lusus, what's wrong with SF (except for it possibly being really far away)? :)

#6 User is offline   Lusus Naturae 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:10 PM

Actually, I don't know. People have just always told me that San Francisco is a place of evil and other such stuff. I just took their word for it. Bad decision, I'm guessing?

#7 User is offline   Catherine 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:03 AM

Lusus Naturae, on Aug 8 2004, 09:10 PM, said:

Actually, I don't know. People have just always told me that San Francisco is a place of evil and other such stuff. I just took their word for it. Bad decision, I'm guessing?

Evil? :P

That was a tad extreme, Lusus. :)

Not quite fair to base your opinion of an entire city on heresay.

#8 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:37 AM

San Francisco is fine with me.
San Jose however is not - no direct flights from and to Schiphol.:)

#9 User is offline   myst-bert 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)
  • Group: Team Member

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:13 PM

FB,
Well, with the two cities being only what, 30 miles apart, I wouldn't guess that they would fly from the Netherlands to both of them... :P
------------

Really, it probably wouldn't matter to me whether it were held in SF or in Minneapolis (seem to be the two leaders at the moment)...both would probably cost about the same if I went... :)

#10 User is offline   River 

• River

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:36 PM

“One of the coldest Winters of my life was one June in San Francisco”
Mark Twain

He could have actually said July but, you get the idea.

I am personally for Minneapolis or Chicago. When exactly did ChiTown fall out of the running? Did anyone mention that there are 2 (count-um Two) major airports into Chicago with some pretty competitive fares to either from many places within and outside of the USA.

If I am going to be in a busy city anyway, it may as well be a warmer one.

River1lala
who has been to all 3 of these cities many times and finds SF too cold in summer

#11 User is offline   Catherine 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:24 PM

This is the SF Bay Area thread LaLa. Any bad mouthing of San Francisco weather will not be tolerated even if it is true be ignored, no matter how famous the author is!

And by the way
Click here to view a spoiler.

In fact, there are 3, count 'um, three International Airports serving the Bay Area:

San Francisco

Oakland

and

San Jose

And myst-bert, San Jose and San Francisco are actually about 50-60 miles apart. But in California, that's just a daily commute!

#12 User is offline   The Bracks 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:27 PM

OK, so far I have the following information from the following people:
- Bay area airports (Catherine)
- San Jose attractions (Catherine)
- General San Jose information (mszv)
- PGDA Disc Golf Course in Golden Gate Park for EDGE (Lord Hydronium)
- I plan to also get some Bay Area maps just so people see where everything is.

Some stuff that we still need:
- General San Francisco information
- Specific SF attractions
- Other?

Thanks for your help, guys, and I hope to get the site up as soon as I have enough info! :)

#13 User is offline   Lord Hydronium 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:46 PM

The Unofficial Guide to San Francisco
And why you want to go there for Mysterium

General Info & Guides

Convention and Visitors Bureau
Fodor's Guide to San Francisco
San Francisco Virtual Tour

Attractions
(comments are by my uncle, who provided the list)

Museums:
http://www.museumspo...anfrancisco.htm
http://www.kasbah.com/vitalstats/to_do_and...francisco_1.htm

California Palace of the Legion of Honor - Way out in NW corner of city near Land's End (on a beautiful site), but great art museum.
Asian Art Museum - Near City Hall, brand new.
Museum of Modern Art - In SOMA (South of Market St.) area across from Yerba Buena Center/Metreon.
Cable Car Museum - On Nob Hill, shows how cable cars work, and you can view the big wheels that turn the cables under the streets. Takes 15 minutes to visit, and it's free.
Cartoon Art Museum - if you're into cartoon art.
California Academy of Sciences - temporarily re-located in SOMA district while being rebuilt in Golden Gate Park.
Palace of Fine Arts / SF Exploratorium - Beautiful building (replica of a 1915 Panama/Pacific Exposition building) on a lovely park, near Chrissy Field on shore of SF Bay. The Exploratorium's mission is teaching science in a fun way. (Editor's note: I remember loving this place when I was younger; I haven't been there in a long time, though)

Parks, Districts, and other Free Places

The ruins of Sutro Baths - next to Cliff House/Land's End/Seal Rock/Ocean Beach/Dutch Windmill; all these things are near each other, way out on the west edge of town.
Golden Gate Park - Huge park including Japanese Tea Garden, Arboretum, Conservatory of Flowers (giant Victorian greenhouse), Buffalo Paddock (actually, bison), Shakespeare garden (every plant mentioned in a Shakespeare play), Dutch Windmill, and much more. (Editor's note: Also the location of the EDGE field, thus my "two birds" comment above)
Golden Gate Bridge and Fort Point - Famous bridge, with Civil War-era fort underneath it (free admission).
Fisherman's Wharf / Alcatraz (boats leave from Fish. Wharf) / Hyde Street Pier (old ships) / Nat'l Maritime Museum / Pier 39 (touristy shops and sea lion hang-out).
Sony Metreon Center / Yerba Buena Gardens and Center for the Arts - shopping and art.
Japantown (incl. mall with big Japanese book store) - shopping.
Grace Cathedral - gothic Episcopal cathedral atop Nob Hill with great stained glass windows and a popular meditational labyrinth (not a maze). Very nearby Cable Car Museum (see above).
North Beach / Telegraph Hill (Coit Tower) - charming old neighborhood, great view from tower, which has WPA murals inside.
Chinatown - exotic place to walk, and good place to buy cheap souvenirs.
Haight Ashbury neighborhood - colorful shops, people.
Westin St. Francis Hotel (on Union Square) - pretend you're staying there and take a ride to the top in one of the glass elevators (unless you have vertigo) - they're fast and go very high (great views!).

Tours

A bus tour of the city - It'll show you lots of stuff all over the city in a couple of hours, then you can go back to places you especially liked later if you want. There are lots of companies who run tours (Editor's note: the link I got was broken, but it was on that website). I've heard of one called Splash Tours that uses a combination bus/boat that drives into the bay for part of the tour, but I'm not sure it's here anymore. Tours sometimes include outlying areas (Muir Woods, Napa...) but take a lot longer than just a city tour.

Other Resources
(I haven't reviewed these yet)

http://www.jmcgowan.com/fsfbay.html
http://www.catch22.c...bayhistory.php3
http://www.borderlands-books.com/
http://hucklesby.f2o.../cases/sfsf.htm
http://www.sfsfc.org/
http://www.comic-con...WCWhatsNew.html
http://www.basfa.org/index.html

Hotels

General Info
The SF hotel reviews I write for Fodor's can be found in their books and at Fodor's web site - The "rack" (un-discounted) rates they show there are only for comparison purposes; you can get much better rates than those shown. Depending on what other conventions are here at the same time as the Myst convention (and other variables) rates can fluctuate quite a bit. Once you've narrowed it down somewhat to the hotel(s) you're interested in, find out what the hotel is charging then check to see if SF Reservations (800-677-1500; http://www.hotelres.com) has the same rooms for less (they buy in blocks, though they may not be able to beat the hotel's group rates). Be sure it is the same type of room being discussed, however (size, view, standard/deluxe, etc.). And ask about extra parking fees if people will be bringing cars.

Hotel Milano - Medium-sized (108 rooms), good location downtown (SOMA=South of Market St.) near everything, moderate price, nice feel, nice hot tub/sauna facility.
Argent Hotel - Large (667 rooms/suites) and tall (36 floors) so some rooms have terrific views. New/modern. Good location downtown (SOMA). Maybe too pricey for you.
San Francisco Marriott - Huge (1498 rooms/suites) and tall (40 floors). New/modern. Same SOMA location as Milano and Argent (see above). Vast atrium lobby, dramatic cocktail lounge on top floor.
Hotel Beresford Arms - Medium-sized (95 rooms/suites), 6-story, older building ("faded elegance") in the Union Square area. Perfectly nice, and a good value. May not have meeting room. Includes minimal continental breakfast in lobby.
Hyatt Regency San Francisco - 805 rooms, 10 stories tall, huge atrium lobby and rotating restaurant on top. Good location near foot of Market St. in Financial District near the waterfront. Maybe too pricey, but dramatic and fun.
Radisson Hotel Fisherman's Wharf or SF Marriott Fisherman's Wharf - Two good hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area, if you care about being in that area. Of the two, the Radisson is closest to the bay. If you have more money, try the excellent Argonaut Hotel, Maritime National Historical Park - Fisherman's Wharf which is new, has the best location in the wharf area, and has an opulent maritime decor that's fun, and a nice little museum in the building.
Hotel Majestic - Off the tourist path a little (in Pacific Heights near Van Ness Ave. and the Japantown area), with fewer attractions within walking distance. Over 100 years old, with genteel charm. 58 rooms/suites, so maybe you could take over the whole hotel.

#14 User is offline   The Bracks 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

:P Wow!!!

Thanks so much for your trouble, LH... this looks GREAT! :) I'll stick it straight on the site as-is, with kudos to you and your uncle. :(

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I'll try to have the site up and running by tomorrow -- just have to put everything together, make a few sig banners, and we'll be rollin'! :)

#15 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:27 AM

River1lala, on Aug 9 2004, 10:36 PM, said:

If I am going to be in a busy city anyway, it may as well be a warmer one.

River1lala
who has been to all 3 of these cities many times and finds SF too cold in summer

I think I'm probably going to like San Francisco's weather a lot better then... I can't stand heat.

*curses heat wave currently terrorizing The Netherlands*

I mean, I really liked the weather during this year's Mysterium, but from what I heard it was exceptionally cold... On Thursday (Day 0) it was too hot for my tastes. So you've just unintentionally swayed me towards San Francisco. :)

#16 User is offline   moiety 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:47 AM

San Fran was freezing when we went - in July! :)

#17 User is offline   River 

• River

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:49 AM

Packing a Parka so that I can play “edge” in the Bay park ...
wheee!

Yes we all want Mysterium in our very own back yard but when does the Mid-West get a chance? And FYI Minneapolis has some of the most beautiful weather in June and July that you could possibly hope for (and it is a 6 1/2 hour trip for me so I wouldn’t exactly call it “close-by”)

To be fair, I think that the Mid-West hopefuls should also put together a “Lookie what’s here” for their proposed sites.

And I’ve been to Oakland Airport - It’s only about an hours cab ride to the city (if traffic is good) Can’t you just hear the meter ticking.

PS - I actually like Frisco but not in the summer.

Lala

#18 User is offline   The Bracks 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:00 PM

It's up!!! :)

http://homepage.mac....bam05/index.htm

Don't forget to pick up a sig banner while you're there... *points below* :P

#19 User is offline   Lord Hydronium 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

Very nicely done! :)

#20 User is offline   Catherine 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Bracks, it looks great! :) :( :P :D :)

Anybody know when and where the Mysterium folks will post the official poll? Geez, you wouldn't know from me that this event is a year away, would ya?

#21 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:03 PM

Free Bird, on Aug 9 2004, 02:37 AM, said:

San Francisco is fine with me.
San Jose however is not - no direct flights from and to Schiphol.:P

You could easily fly into SFO which is only about a 45 minute drive north of San Jose and 20 minutes south of SF ... 40 minutes with traffic unless you know the surface streets well to by pass the freeway. Usually 3rd Street was a good straight shot to South of Market Area (SOMA) and Financial District (downtown area).

As for SF being evil ... well like any big city ... it does have it's evil side ... of course this also depends on what one considers evil.

All cities have drugs, crime, prostitutes, homeless, unsafe areas, red light districts ... SF is no different than any other city. BTW I lived in SF for 16 years and have seen it all there ... and did most of it to. :)

Honestly though I'm not sure I want to go back to SF and so can not personally support this for personal reasons. To many questionable memories that I'm not sure I'm ready to fully acknowledge and deal with yet.

#22 User is offline   River 

• River

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:18 PM

Wolfie,

I don’t know anything about SF being “evil”. My only real problem is that it’s so stinking Cold in the area in the summer months. I know it has to do with the Arctic currents colliding at the point with the southern tide (blahblah) but any way you slice it, I don’t want to have to pack a coat in my bag in June/July. (whinewhinewhine).

Now decadence! Serve mine with chocolate fondue and I’m good to go!
:)
LaLa

#23 User is offline   Catherine 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:59 PM

Here ya go:

Watch the weather in San Francisco!

See? Not so bad. :)

*Just ignore that seismograph on one of those pages*

I've lived in the MidWest - from your neck of the woods LaLa - and I can do without the humidity! And the mosquitos! And the tornadoes!

No place is perfect, unless of course we have Mysterium 2005 in Camelot.

A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
But in Camelot, Camelot
That's how conditions are.
The rain may never fall till after sundown.
By eight, the morning fog must disappear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.

#24 User is offline   Nepharious 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Location:In my own personal universe, which I keep in a box.

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:09 AM

I was actually hoping the next Mysterium would be held a little more south than San Francisco (Preferably MUCH more south), but having it in San Fran is better than having it else where, Cause there is no way I could go to it if it were farther than that.

A.K.A. At least I'd have a small chance of going.

EDIT: Wheeee! If it IS in SF this summer, I just discovered that it will be easy to come! Yipeeeeeee!

This post has been edited by Nepharious: 15 August 2004 - 02:33 PM

#25 User is offline   mszv 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 August 2004 - 11:52 PM

Hi,
I've been in correspondance with a few people on the Lyst about Mysterium 2005 in San Jose. One of the people is doing a web site on San Jose. I'm not sure if he is a member of this forum - I'll make sure he sees your new site. Hey, the more the merrier!

On the weather in San Francisco and the whole San Francisco Bay area - it is wonderful. The SF Bay area is a little warmer than San Francisco, and a little sunnier, but San Francisco summer weather is also great. You just have no idea how incredibly comfortable it is to live here, with the mild climate, the low humidity and no rain at all in the summer, ever.

Personally, I think San Jose is a better choice for Mysterium 2005, but San Francisco would be great too. San Jose has the benefit of a more compact downtown, with things within easy walking distance, and a train (Caltrain) that goes directly to San Francisco - good for adventures. For a San Jose "field trip", I would suggest the Tech museum, also in the compact downtown area, a short walk from the hotels. As for hotels, I haven't checked out hotels, or hotel rates yet, though I've got some ideas.

As to airports - as CaGreywolf said - there are three major airports in the area. For international flights, I suspect San Francisco would be better, but there is mass transit to San Jose from the San Francisco airport. Being able to fly in and out of either San Jose or San Francisco or possibly Oakland increases your chances of getting a good cheap flight.

I don't think San Francisco and San Jose are in competition with eath other. In my opinion, the two choices for the San Francisco Bay area are either San Francisco or San Jose, for their location, accessibility to mass transit, hotels, weather, and a host of other thing. It's early in the process, but perhaps, with some more input, including the input from the people who live here, we can decide which city to "put on the ballet" when vote time rolls around.

All for now.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users