Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Warning about passwords on the forum

#1 User is offline   Jerle 

• What, me worry?
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:10 PM

I just thought I'd remind people to make SURE that your passwords are encoded. This means that you don't have your name or something easy for your password but rather something hard to hack.

For instance, if your user name is I Like Eggs!, then "eggs" should NOT be your password or even "dozen" "scrambled" "fried" or ANYthing that relates to your name.

Even something that is known about you that you might use isn't really secure. If you've posted that you're a MAJOR fan of Quake, then "strogg" or "rail" wouldn't be a good choice, either. Another bad password is NO password, ie - " " or using "password" as your choice.

Trust me, some hackers have nothing better to do than to sit and try to figure out such things. :eyepop: It's also very upsetting when one has to learn this the hard way, trust me on this, too.

Anyway, one method to encode your password is if you use numbers, insert random letters here and there in it - 123a456q789f or something. Same with letters - abc3def9ghi7. (These are just basic examples.)

So PLEASE make sure that your password is hard to figure out or change it if not.

. chev shem :cool:

EDIT: This is not a thread hinting that MC is being hacked! This is an issue that came up on another board where I go and it's NOT a fun thing to have happen to a community. That's all. :) (Is that better, Blue? :) )

This post has been edited by Jerle: 20 August 2004 - 07:04 PM

#2 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:41 PM

Special characters in your password are also great for security. The symbols above the number keys, commas, brackets, and others should be included in your passwords if allowed by the site you're logging into.

#3 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:44 AM

Furthermore, a good mix of upper- and lowercase also helps a lot. And long passwords are more secure than short ones.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users