MYSTcommunity: Flying in realMYST - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Flying in realMYST Controlling Gravity and other techniques

#1 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 October 2002 - 03:55 AM

Dedicated to Aloys who discovered how to fly.

This thread is for those who have already learned to fly and want to share their secrets and techniques with others. It's not for learning how to fly (there are many sources of that information) and it's not for chat. Thanks.

Flying in realMYST is an art that takes practice, patience, and a little technique. Controlling your altitude is one of the hardest parts of the art, so I thought I would start this thread with some basics.

Flying in realMYST - Anti-Gravity focal points. (under construction)

First, keep in mind the optimal gravity settings in game_init.dat vary depending on your computer, and especially the video card in it. Some can fly at a setting of 90 (the default is -90) but others need 120 or more. Hovering is another story: It's an art that depends on the
gravity setting, patience of the user, where you are in an Age, and what direction you are facing. Basically, you can overcome the anti-gravity focal points described below through patience and changing the gravity settings in game_init.dat to suit your computer and situation.

The focal points of negative gravity:
Generally:
Most land masses are anti-gravity focal points; that is, they tend to be centers of the repellant force. When you look at them you rise, and then sink when you look away. This explains the original idea of controlling your flying by looking down to rise and looking up to sink. There are variations to this in each Age and some areas of land have a greater repellant force than others. Also, the gravity setting in game_init.dat needs to be adjusted for different Ages and in different places within the Ages.

Stoneship:
This is where it all started when the demo was released (thank you again for the demo Cyan!). There is only one land mass and it is the main force of anti-gravity, but the lighthouse and smaller points of land also have an effect.

MYST Island:
The whole island is the main anti-gravity focal point but the grassy areas are vastly more powerful than the rocky places.

Mechanical:
The linking point, the large rocks with the discarded gears, is the strongest source of anti-gravity. The fortress has the next largest force and the lesser islands have little effect.

Selenitic:
The grass under the trees gives the greatest anti-gravity boost.

Channelwood:
This is special because there is very little land and there are so many points that boost the anti-gravity. The mountain with the windmill provides very little but the upper structures seem to have strong but varying degrees of influence. I'll have to work on this some more while the programmers of the game laugh. I think they know. ;-) Duh.

Rime:
The entire main island in Rime gives you the anti-gravity boost.

One note for fun: While lying in Sirrus' bed there isn't negative gravity until you look at his door. heh. Whatever!
See here---> take a nap in Sirrus' bed

#2 User is offline   walt scRIVENs 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 October 2002 - 08:34 AM

Very cool! I wonder if the "look at the door" gravity effect was intentional, that your character/avatar would be allowed to lie down and get up in some future game. I don't have any facts to support it, but I believe that RealMyst was a development laboratory to try new techniques, rather than a specific product development (although it may have turned into that after it got started).
Anyway, the flying is fun, but even more fun is the challenge to figure out all the nuances of how it works.
Thanks for starting this thread; I will contribute but not for a few days... my work schedule won't allow much time for RealMyat until the end of next week :blink:

walt

#3 User is offline   walt scRIVENs 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 20 October 2002 - 02:04 PM

More information (Guesses?) about movement through the maze.....

At first, I used Zardoz's saved game as a starting point, but then I got more curious, so I started fresh with gravity set to -90 and Roomname Tika (the maze runner "garage"). I rode the maze runner down to the turntable, and as before, I saved a game with me still in the driver's seat of the maze runner. Then, I quit and reset gravity to +98 and loaded the saved game. As soon as I got out of the driver's seat, I started rising FAST. This time I was able to go well up past the roof of the maze runner and begin moving horizontally. I saved that game, and with gravity at 86, I drifted down to the level of the tracks, saved and restarted again at 90 gravity. Now I was able to move freely through the maze, including passing under the tracks when they go upwards (I stay at the same level).

So I concluded that a moderate lifting effect, from my previous experiment (G=95) is not sufficient to fly up through a roof or ceiling, but a high enough G will do it. (I understand that the relative effect of the gravity constant differs for different video cards). Horizontal movement is somewhat different. I can freely pass through rock walls, steel structures, etc. most of the time. BUT when inside a room or vehicle that you occupy in normal game play, the walls constrain horizontal movement. Examples are the maze runner itself, the rocket ship, and the station platform at the end of the maze. There must be a property of these walls that determines if they can be penetrated or not; or more likely, there is less work involved in creating a surface that you can only see from a distance, and so the designers didn't bother giving the surface the property of being a barrier to movement.

Any thought from fellow aviators?

walt

#4 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 20 October 2002 - 03:40 PM

*Just for clarification I'll add the link to Zardoz saved game and config files. Those are excellent files and worked perfectly on my system with a Voodoo5 5500. The fact that the walt scRIVENs had to tweak the files illustrates my point in the post above. urm, anyway.

walt scRIVENs, on Oct 20 2002, 03:03 PM, said:

Horizontal movement is somewhat different.  I can freely pass through rock walls, steel structures, etc. most of the time.  BUT when inside a room or vehicle that you occupy in normal game play, the walls constrain horizontal movement.  Examples are the maze runner itself, the rocket ship, and the station platform at the end of the maze.  There must be a property of these walls that determines if they can be penetrated or not

Exactly! I've found that many structures and terrain that you can't normally pass through will also stop you in Fly Mode. Once you Fly to places you cannot normally touch, you find they are penetrable. Fly Mode is not No Clipping mode.

Anyone else care to contribute to this thread? There are many places on the web that address details of Fly Mode (lon's, Aloys, etc.) but I thought a one-stop tweak link would most benefit the Community.
hmmm. I'll just wait and see. ;) :-)

*tweak link*? :blink:

#5 User is offline   Zardoz 

• shokhootahn (instructor)

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:46 PM

If you substitute the butterfly.shp file for the m3dplayer.shp file in the player_init.dat file, you get instant fly-through mode. To do this, I think you have to extract the player_init.dat file from one of the dni files, and then put it in the INIT directory. You also have to set the gravity to zero-g (90 on my machine). Once you've done this, you can fly through the entire landscape on a level plane. The only problem is that you can't go into other rooms because flying through a wall fails to tell the program to render the next room. To do this for more than just Myst island, put the appropriate set of roomnames in the game_init.dat file. (Has that been covered somewhere? I hope so.)

#6 User is offline   LinguistApprentice 

Posted 22 October 2002 - 05:31 PM

Instead of extracting, I just downloaded the ini files from lonelyto25.com and placed them accordingly. Me is lazy. :blink:

I can't seem to replicate the anti-gravity phenomena that A'Reandal catalogues in the first post. Hmmm...

#7 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 22 October 2002 - 10:16 PM

LinguistApprentice, on Oct 22 2002, 06:30 PM, said:

Instead of extracting, I just downloaded the ini files from lonelyto25.com and placed them accordingly.  Me is lazy. :blink:
lon's site has some very cool Flying stuff. I have many bookmarks with tips on Flying and thought of adding it to this thread but, not yet. I want to see how this goes.

LinguistApprentice, on Oct 22 2002, 06:30 PM, said:

I can't seem to replicate the anti-gravity phenomena that A'Reandal catalogues in the first post.  Hmmm...
Maybe because you changed RealTimeMin in Win_init.dat to 100 from the defult 4? If you leave it at 4 Flying is much different and the focal points are present.

#8 User is offline   Danny R 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)

Posted 26 October 2002 - 08:02 PM

A'Reandal, on Oct 20 2002, 11:39 PM, said:

Fly Mode is not No Clipping mode.

I've found that when I just go high enough, the constraints will vanish and I can "cross the border" - at least everywhere I've tried so far.

I've much preferred the "fixed height" method up to now (RealTimeMin set to 100) - even if this means the ol' quit_change-value_relaunch routine. At least it's better for taking screenies. I'll give the "freestyle mode" another try, though. :blink:

One thing I've never seen specifically mentioned anywhere (correct me if one of you did mention it) is the possibility to leave the submerged ship in Stoneship Age and go "diving". See the critters up close. :)

Here's the how-to, just in case you don't know:
- start in normal, no-fly mode
- charge the batteries and turn the outside lights on. Don't lose too much time.
- go down the stairs until you stand right in front of the door.
- save, quit, set the desired fly mode, relaunch.
- open the door and go in. You can leave through the roof, or - if you're in fixed height mode - make a 180-degrees left turn. The wooden panel next to the door lets you pass through.

Here are some screenies I took. Beware - they're huge and may take a while to load ... made on a 22" screen ... :)

#9 Guest_Jerle_

• Group: Guest

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:58 PM

Danny R, on Oct 26 2002, 10:01 PM, said:

... made on a 22" screen ... :)

Show-off... :blink: :lol: :drool:

#10 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 26 October 2002 - 10:55 PM

Danny R, on Oct 26 2002, 09:01 PM, said:

A'Reandal, on Oct 20 2002, 11:39 PM, said:

Fly Mode is not No Clipping mode.

I've found that when I just go high enough, the constraints will vanish and I can "cross the border" - at least everywhere I've tried so far.

Try Flying through a barrier that you can normally reach in non-fly mode but not penetrate. For instance, the walls of the Library and Planetarium. You can't move through those walls in normal mode or Fly mode. Some other barriers that you can't normally touch such as the turret and the roofs are different. They can be penetrated in Fly mode. I think I remember some exceptions to this "rule" so please let me know if you have seen them.

Trouble is, you don't always end up seeing the inside of the structure when you pass through the barrier. Alluding to Zardoz statement, the game doesn't know it's supposed to render the inside of a structure when you fly in from the roof.

This shot is from sinking into the Planetarium from the roof.
I used Gravity 140 and RealTimeMin = 4.

True No-Clipping mode would allow you to pass through any barrier and see what's inside.

#11 User is offline   LinguistApprentice 

Posted 29 October 2002 - 02:49 PM

Yes, I noticed that too about the rendering. I was using the look/go up/down method (it worked, thanks!) on Myst Island, and structures kept disappearing. Lighthouse, rocket, cabin, planetarium...then I accidentally fell through the hole in the ground where the planeterium was. I couldn't get back up and drowned.

But then, my system isn't optimized for realMyst anyway. Strange UFO Pics

#12 User is offline   Corona 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 19 December 2002 - 11:49 PM

*edit*
Maybe I'll contribute something once I get more used to flying. But it's fun though. :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users