MYSTcommunity: What will it be? - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

What will it be?

#1 User is offline   moiety 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Member

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:38 PM

Cyan has pretty much established itself in the adventure genre for the previous, um, decade or so. I think SE2 will be a return to some of its older (non-MYST) games, renewed.

What think you?

#2 User is offline   IMForeman 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:49 PM

I think it will be something completely new. A new style adventure game, not using the Myst conventions, and... it may be online. Being non-Myst, they can shop for a publisher.

-IMF

#3 User is offline   qazwsxedcqwerty 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:51 PM

Rubbergut Rubbergut Rubbergut!!!

I think it'd be nifty if they redid Rubbergut with MYST series quality graphics.

I hope they'll do something like that, anyway :blurp:

~A'my ^_^

#4 User is offline   Broken Light 

• shokhootahn (instructor)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Rand said that he was aiming (no pun intended) to appeal to the untapped First Person Shooter market.

And we all know that Myst + FPS = Myst Mayhem.

Score. :blurp:

-BLt

#5 User is offline   Gadren 

• shokhootahn (instructor)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:07 PM

could people please check their facts before stating things as truth?

i can't find any instance of Rand saying anything like that...the only similar thing was by Chris Brandkamp, in a newspaper article from Spokane:

In the meantime, Cyan's 35-person staff is ready to embark on an entirely different project that has nothing to do with the complex history and archaeology of the several Myst products released over the past dozen years, Brandkamp said. The video and online game world today is dominated by the genre called "first-person shooters," Brandkamp said. That term refers to games in which the player has a first-person view and action centers around aiming and shooting with multiple weapons and limited ammunition. Brandkamp said Cyan needs to decide how to approach its mission of designing high-quality entertainment within that marketplace.

"We're not going to say we're doing a first-person shooter. The question for us is, can entertainment be entertaining without ripping someone's heart out?" he said. Brandkamp declined to give more details about the new project, other than to say it should not be called a game.

#6 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:12 PM

FPS? From Cyan?

Ehhh....I'm a little unenthusiatstic about the idea...

BTW, what will happen to the Myst Community after Myst V? What'll be the point? I mean, if this new Something Else isn't D'ni related, is this the end?

#7 User is offline   Logan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:30 PM

Eh, people? I think Broken Light was joking....

#8 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, I know, but they still talk about an FPS...

#9 User is offline   MysteriousSage 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

That they'll appeal to the FPS market, not necessarily make one. I, for one, don't see Cyan going from a series where you cannot die until the end to a "KILL KILL KILL!!!111oneoneone" game. :blurp: I think something more risky than Myst yet less violent than a shooter is more likely, a middle ground that will appeal to both markets. :pout:

#10 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

I'm still a bit weary...

But we'll wait and see.

#11 User is offline   Jerle 

• What, me worry?
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:57 PM

:blurp: Wait, you guys didn't get the Uru: Arena or the Worlds of Warcraft mods for Uru? :pout:

#12 User is offline   Fireymarbles 

• Who says you're free?
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:40 AM

Jerle, on Jan 14 2005, 06:57 PM, said:

:blurp:  Wait, you guys didn't get the Uru: Arena or the Worlds of Warcraft mods for Uru? :D

:pout: :zzz:

As someone who has spent all too many hours of his life playing Quake, Uru, and Warcraft, I found those to be hilarious beyond words... thanks, Jerle, I was in need of a laugh. :)

EDIT:

Animan, on above, said:

BTW, what will happen to the Myst Community after Myst V? What'll be the point? I mean, if this new Something Else isn't D'ni related, is this the end?

What, you think we're just going to forget about Myst and dissipate again? :yawn:

There are plenty of people who post here who don't even own Uru or Revelation, but they're still members of the community. Perhaps some of the people who come here only to discuss new games and developments may vanish again, but... the word "Myst" may come first in MC's name, but as far as I'm concerned, the community will always come first to me, and I intend to stay around as long as there are other cool people here. ;)

#13 User is offline   Wanais 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:16 AM

Gadren, on Jan 14 2005, 02:07 AM, said:

Chris Brandkamp, in a newspaper article from Spokane:

The video and online game world today is dominated by the genre called "first-person shooters," Brandkamp said.... Brandkamp said Cyan needs to decide how to approach its mission of designing high-quality entertainment within that marketplace...

"The question for us is, can entertainment be entertaining without ripping someone's heart out?" he said. Brandkamp declined to give more details about the new project, other than to say it should not be called a game.

This is SUCH a strange citation. I am thoroughly, utterly, confused. :blurp:

First "can entertainment be entertaining without ripping someones heart out" --- well, yes, the success of Myst and Riven pretty much proves that point, right? :yawn:

Then, "Cyan needs to decide how to approach its mission of designing high-quality entertainment within that marketplace" --- what Myst (and then Sims) did was to address an entirely different audience (marked, among other things, by a much more even gender distribution). Which lead to unparallelled sales, BTW. Who is forcing them to address the same market as FPS? :pout:

Finally, "it should not be called a game". The marketplace they talk about is DEFINED as a market for games. If they develop something else, they are addressing a different market.

I really, really don't get it. The Cyan people are very talented and intelligent so there must be something deep hidden behind this. Which makes me extremely curious - this will be a very interesting ride! :zzz:

#14 User is offline   Fireymarbles 

• Who says you're free?

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:57 AM

MysteriousSage, on Jan 14 2005, 04:38 PM, said:

That they'll appeal to the FPS market, not necessarily make one. I, for one, don't see Cyan going from a series where you cannot die until the end to a "KILL KILL KILL!!!111oneoneone" game. :blurp: I think something more risky than Myst yet less violent than a shooter is more likely, a middle ground that will appeal to both markets. :yawn:

You mean like Zork: Grand Inquisitor, or something like that? I'd love to see something along those lines... like Myst, but with more of a twisted sense of humour, and a greater chance to die in amusing ways. :zzz:

And I'd just like to echo Wanais' thoughts about that quote... not only does it seem to contradict itself mightily, it's just very weird, and extremely un-Cyan-like, IMO... :pout:

#15 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:31 AM

If anyone's interested in what a hypothetical Cyan-made FPS would look like, check out Unreal (not Unreal Tournament [insert year here] or Unreal 2, just Unreal). It contains some levels made by Myscha the Sled Dog (T. Elliot Cannon), who now works for Cyan (unless he left again without me noticing). One of the most beautiful levels is Bluff Eversmoking. In fact, it's exactly that level that made me realize that a real-time 3D game with Myst-like graphical quality had become possible.

And even though the game was released way back in 1998, it still looks pretty nice compared to recent games.

#16 User is offline   Corona 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:04 AM

Maybe Cyan will join up with Homestar Runner & Strong Bad. Trogdor!!!

#17 User is offline   PC Michael 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:46 AM

Yeah I'm... concerned. I mean, in a way I'm glad they're not completely over-doing Myst until everyone gets sick of it, but this radical new direction stuff... I don't know.

And where's Rand Miller? I wanna hear from him. :blurp:

#18 User is offline   Sy'mon 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:06 PM

Myst with guns... :blurp:

#19 User is offline   IMForeman 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:18 PM

I think the main thing about this project is that, at the moment, we know absolutley nothing about it save that it's nothing to do with the MYST/Uru saga. It's something new. Other than that, we can hope that Cyan is about to innovate in a way that Myst did once.

-IMF

#20 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:55 PM

Of course, innovation like that is like lightning. It only happens once. Not to be, you know, depressing or anything. Myst inadvertantly was incredibly innovative. They didn't plan on it being this huge thing. Now they're making this "Something Else" with the idea to be innovative.

My point is, innovation can't be forced. You can't just purposfully make something that will change things in a huge way and is widely accepted. It usually happens by accident.

Same thing with Uru. They tried to be innovative with the way Live would work. It wasn't.

Of course...I'm trying not to be depressing.

#21 User is offline   Fireymarbles 

• Who says you're free?

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

Animan, on Jan 16 2005, 02:55 PM, said:

My point is, innovation can't be forced. You can't just purposfully make something that will change things in a huge way and is widely accepted. It usually happens by accident.

They can still get lucky... it's every bit as likely to happen now as it was when they made Myst.

Same thing with Uru. They tried to be innovative with the way Live would work. It wasn't.

It was, it just didn't work out.

#22 User is offline   IMForeman 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:22 PM

It's a myth that lightning only strikes once, y'know... both literally and figuratively. There's a possibility that this will have an effect for Cyan like Myst once did.

And Uru would have worked had they been given the right amount of time.

-IMF

#23 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:02 PM

IMForeman, on Jan 15 2005, 10:22 PM, said:

It's a myth that lightning only strikes once, y'know... both literally and figuratively. There's a possibility that this will have an effect for Cyan like Myst once did.

And Uru would have worked had they been given the right amount of time.

-IMF

That's true. It may happen again, you never know. Maybe I'm just bitter after Live...

And I wholeheartedly agree about why it didn't work. They needed more time, but THEY pulled the plug. Who's THEY? Well...we won't start pointing fingers...

#24 User is offline   Aloys 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

Hopefully innovation and success are two different things. Many really innovative games were totally unsuccessful for various reasons.
As IMF says it's not really possible to judge Uru though since we haven't really seen Live.

#25 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:35 PM

Aloys, on Jan 24 2005, 11:47 AM, said:

As IMF says it's not really possible to judge Uru though since we haven't really seen Live.

Or ever will....

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users