Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

View hotspots in Riven Fun hack from Cobbs

#1 User is offline   albino 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)
  • Group: Member

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:42 PM

The following information was taken from this thread at Cobbs.

While playing Riven, type "b3hn", without the quotation. Then pressing Ctrl+Tab should bring up a small blinking line in the lower left corner, which will show all text input.

The most interesting thing to try is to type "hs" (as in hotspots). This will show all currently working hotspots with green outlining, and all currently inactive hotspots with red. Very cool! ;)

You can also try pressing Ctrl+Tab again, and write "debug". This will bring up a text line at the bottom of the screen that shows some cool info stuff.

ngilb120 on Cobbs also wrote something about writing "slideshow", but it doesn't happen anything to me when I do that. :)

Anyway, all credits for this should go to ngilb120. :)

EDIT: All commands collected (credits to amon-re):

g <id>              * goto
gc <id>             * gotocyan
gs <stack> [<id>]   * goes to the specified stack, card id optional
get <state>         * gets the value of a variable
set <state> <value> * sets the value of a variable
undo                * undoes actions on cur card (autosave must be enabled)
enable <hotspotID>  * enables a hotspot
disable <hotspotID> * disables a hotspot
p                   * purges all purgeable blocks
c                   * compacts entire heap
pc                  * purges, then compacts
mem                 * returns total free memory (physical + virtual)
free                * returns physial free memory (excludes virtual)
debug               * toggles on-screen debug info
hs                  * toggles showing hotspots
autosave            * toggles autosave-every-card feature
dump                * copies the current screen to a bitmap file
ipmm                * toggles impatient PM mode

This post has been edited by albinogul: 27 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

#2 User is offline   J'ohn 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

I definitely didn't know there was a console mode in Riven. Thank you very much, albinogul, this shall prove most interesting! :)

SBS :)

#3 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:45 AM

:) Cool! Thanks, albinogul!! And thanks, ngilb120!

I looked at Cho's easter egg hotspots. Ah, ha! It looked like the first pic that was published showing the hot spots. So That's where it came from! I also looked at some of the inactive (not removed during development) hotspots: One at the top of the Wahrk Gallows and one in Gehn's Lab.

I'm not sure what to do with this new found tool, but it's been fun so far.

:)

#4 User is offline   albino 

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:02 AM

I noticed that there are some quite interesting "jumps" you can make in the clear cut area. As an example, you can stand on the path leading to the blue cave, and then click on the door to the jungle and suddenly find yourself in front of it! Short-distance, bookless linking. ;)

If anyone wonders, the numbers you see in the top left corner of most of the hot spots are the numbers of the cards they link to. The number of the current card is the first value in the debug info line. Then there is also something called "CyanCardID" (at least I think that was what it said...), but I'm not quite sure what that is. The mouse position and hotspot hit should be rather self explanatory. Also, whenever a movie is played, it writes out the movie ID (same numbers are used for Riven Movie Snoop)

The number-less hotspots are either inactive, acting as "masks", or they seem to do things that doesn't require changing card, such as playing a movie of a button that is pressed.

I found that some movies and the water effects messed up some of my hotspots, so try turning of the water if the hotspots start to "break".

One more thing: I noticed that typing "zip" (yes, I was just trying things randomly) makes the debug line write "Dumping zip list to zip.txt." If I switch to Finder, "zip.txt" is found in the Riven folder. It contains a list of something that seems to be abbrevations of different locations in the game, and then a number (1 - 3 digits). Such as (these are the first few items on the list):

?bbeforepier? 33
?bbelowtrap? 315
?bblrcontrols? 282
?bblrtopsteps? 36
?bbpcaves? 150
?bcavedoors? 361

I think the first letter symbolises what island it is (b as in boiler island in all the cases above).

I wonder if there is a way to enter this in the game to immediately get to those locations, like the ultimate Zip mode? :) I tried some different ways but couldn't find any way to get the game to react. :pout:

Oooh. I wonder what other cool commands there can be...? :)

EDIT: You can try the following too: typing "P" shows you a number, most of the time it's zero but sometimes it's something else. No idea what it means. Typing "G" doesn't seem to be a good idea, as it crashes the game for me. "C" doesn't do anything that I can see though the game doesn't say it is an unknown command. If I write "C", space and then some random number, it says "Wrong number of arguments" what ever that means.

EDIT 2: AHA! I just discovered the Super Zip Mode! Just type "G", space, and then the ID if the card you want to go to and you'll be there in a jiffy! Woho! I wonder if there are ways to jump between different stacks, though.

This post has been edited by albinogul: 27 February 2005 - 07:26 AM

#5 User is offline   Elastic Onion 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:42 AM

Does anyone have a screenshot of what it looks like? I'm too lazy to start up classic...

#6 User is offline   amon-re 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:01903598

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:55 AM

g <id>              * goto
gc <id>             * gotocyan
gs <stack> [<id>]   * goes to the specified stack, card id optional
get <state>         * gets the value of a variable
set <state> <value> * sets the value of a variable
undo                * undoes actions on cur card (autosave must be enabled)
enable <hotspotID>  * enables a hotspot
disable <hotspotID> * disables a hotspot
p                   * purges all purgeable blocks
c                   * compacts entire heap
pc                  * purges, then compacts
mem                 * returns total free memory (physical + virtual)
free                * returns physial free memory (excludes virtual)
debug               * toggles on-screen debug info
hs                  * toggles showing hotspots
autosave            * toggles autosave-every-card feature
dump                * copies the current screen to a bitmap file
ipmm                * toggles impatient PM mode
That's all, folks!

#7 User is offline   albino 

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:24 AM

Cooool, amon! :) How did you find that?

I added it to the first post, hope you don't mind.

No I'll go try some funny stuff! As an example, when you've started a new game, try "G 55". Turn around, exit and then turn around again! :) Best effect if you have the hotspots turned off, I guess.

#8 User is offline   amon-re 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:20 AM

How did you find that?

Using strings. Err. Yeah. :)

I added it to the first post, hope you don't mind.

k. :>

#9 User is offline   albino 

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

Okay, I have some questions...

I don't quite understand the gc command, it only crashes the game for me. How do I use it? What is the impatient PM mode? And I don't quite understand what p, c and pc does, has it got something to do with the memory?

Also, how do we get the IDs for stacks and variables? Is it possible to get a list of variables like the zip-commande gives a list of some card IDs?

Amon, do you know if there may be more commands or if this is it? And did anyone get the slideshow thing working?

#10 User is offline   IMForeman 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

What does the Gotocyan do?

-IMF

#11 User is offline   necros 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

has this only now been discovered?
that's quite amazing that even after all this time, we're still learning new stuff about riven. ^_^

#12 User is offline   amon-re 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:09 AM

I don't really know how all this works. I just found the commands... nothing else...

#13 User is offline   nickelrock 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:14 PM

OK,i will explain everything,,,

the first thing people are saying typing in the "slideshow" command does not do anything,,(correction)IT DOES,,,this is the secret...you must be on disk one,since the game starts on disc 2 you,have to ride the trans system from islan to island..and then make your way back to temple island...(the first place you start)
if you did this right,,when returing to temple island the system will ask for disc "1" not 2 once this happens,,insert disc 1 and click ok..the game starts back up,and you are on temple island,,,now that you are on disc 1 now type

slideshow

in the b3hn console...its a slideshow of all the programmers,writters etc...pretty cool...(DOESNT WORK ON ANY OTHER DISC BUT 1)

NOW somebody else was asking about a ULTIMATE zip mode,,
i found a way to do just this..(iam a hacker so playing around with the b3hn command i learned alot others havent,sorry big headed LOL)anyways..the most important command in my opinion is the "debug" comand...why ,well it shows alot of info,movie id's place id's even cyan id's...so back to the ultimate zip mode
if you want to zap from island to island (even certain areas of the island you can)
example...

gs jspit 800

this will take you to the loading platform for the tram on jungle island..

alot of people are also asking what the gotocyan "gc" command is,,well its just like the goto "g" command except you must use the cyan id which can be seen in debug mode..look for it something like cyanidspot= 56787 (just an example)
so you could use the gc instead of the g command,,the goto cyan command allows more freedom because you can go to every corner,path,temple etc...so the command looks like this

gc 56787

(i dont think this one works i made up the numbers but like i said just use the debug code and look for a 5-6 string number thats the cyan id...

#14 User is offline   J'ohn 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

Please don't bump old threads, Nickelrock. If you wish to discuss this subject, please make a new thread.

SBS :arianna:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users