MYSTcommunity: New game: Latus (from Rand Miller Interview) - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New game: Latus (from Rand Miller Interview) Not really sure where to put this...

#1 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Member

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:01 PM

Over on GamesPlanet, there's an interview with Rand about Myst V, etc. While nothing new about EOA is discussed, Rand spills the beans on Latus, the new game/thing from Cyan.

Could you reveal a little about you long term plans considering graphic adventure games?
Our new project is called Latus - a completely new type of interactive entertainment that mixes linear storytelling and interactive 3D in a way that has never been done before. It's hard to describe. It feels like a new kind of genre.

Some of you may remember awhile back when it was discovered that Cyan had trademarked Latus as a multimedia sort of game/thing. Well, this sort of explains it.

Also interesting to note is the site www.latus.net, while unavailable to view and only with a link back to MillerBitz.com(owned by the Millers), it has the interesting title of "Posole".

I did a search on Wikipedia and found this definition(I've made the interesting part bold):

Pozole
From Wikipedia
(Redirected from Posole)
Pozole (from Spanish pozole, from Nahuatl potzolli) is a traditional pre-Columbian soup or stew made from dried lime-treated maize kernels with pork (or other meat), chili, and other seasonings and garnish (lettuce, oregano, cilantro, avocado, radish, etc.).

Pozole is particularly prevalent in modern-day menus in both Mexico and the southwestern United States, particularly the state of New Mexico. It (or something like it) has been served for centuries by native cultures in southern North America.

The Mexican version is similar to, but more robust than, hominy. The nationwide Potzollcalli chain of cafeterias specializes in a wide range of varieties of pozole, including red, white, and seafood.

In New Mexico pozole is traditionally served on Christmas Eve to celebrate life's blessings.

Variant spellings: posole, posolé, pozolé, pozolli, posol.

Interesting....

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:05 PM

Woooooo, that's nifty! Can't wait to see more.

(Moved.)

#3 User is offline   PC Michael 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:07 PM

Animan, on Apr 21 2005, 04:01 PM, said:

...a completely new type of interactive entertainment that mixes linear storytelling and interactive 3D in a way that has never been done before. It's hard to describe. It feels like a new kind of genre.

Oh I've heard that one before. (Uru) :squee:

Not to be cynical.... ;)

#4 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:08 PM

PC Michael, on Apr 21 2005, 04:07 PM, said:

...a completely new type of interactive entertainment that mixes linear storytelling and interactive 3D in a way that has never been done before. It's hard to describe. It feels like a new kind of genre.

Not to be cynical.... ;)

Lol.

And, it'll take 6 years to come out...

#5 User is offline   J'ohn 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:25 PM

Animan, on Apr 21 2005, 10:08 PM, said:

And, it'll take 6 years to come out...

Hopefully it'll be implementable in Virtual Reality until then! ;)

SBS :squee:

#6 User is offline   linkerjpatrick 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

Interesting how everything seems to be inspired by the Miller's childhood. :squee:

#7 User is offline   Ti'ana Katarina 

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

PC Michael, on Apr 21 2005, 02:07 PM, said:

Not to be cynical.... ;)

;)

To be honest, the phrase "a new kind of genre" just sort of makes me blink, too. But that's because I jumped onto the "genre doesn't matter" boat a long time ago; I'm really loathe to say, "Okay, we've got this game, and it's...uh...it's a hybrid of adventure games and RTS...so...it's...um...Real Time Adventure? :)" I really think Tim Schafer said it best:

It doesn't matter what type of game you're making, what specific collection of formal rules you are following, what label people put on your game. All that matters is whether it's a good game or not.

Amen. I don't care what genre Cyan's attempting to create (or not, if it's Uru all over again ;)), all I care is whether or not it'll be a good game. ;)

#8 User is offline   Kube 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:04 AM

ARG?....

#9 User is offline   J'ohn 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:37 AM

Kube, on Apr 22 2005, 02:04 PM, said:

ARG?....

Whatever does that mean? :squee:

SBS ;)

#10 User is offline   linkerjpatrick 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

J'ohn, on Apr 22 2005, 10:37 AM, said:

Kube, on Apr 22 2005, 02:04 PM, said:

ARG?....

Whatever does that mean? ;)

SBS ;)

It's a castle where the grail is. :squee:

#11 User is offline   greedo4000 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

No no, that was AAAAAAAUUUUUURGH.
say it with me now...

Well I'm excited about this, They never said (to my knowledge) that Uru was going to be a new genre, they said that it was new for them and it should seem new to us too. But it didn't.
Myst, however, WAS a new genre and it caught on nicely.
So Cyan... Good Luck! I hope this rocks

#12 User is offline   linkerjpatrick 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

I wonder if they will be taking advantage of the newly proposed DVD formats? I understand one of them will have the an ability of interactivity not seen in current DVD's.

#13 User is offline   Zen-17 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

If this is going to be set in the Myst universe*, as Animan's research seems to indicate... and they're calling it a new kind of game, again... and they claim it's non-linear...

They'd better have age creation this time.
* edit: Maybe it isn't.. IMForeman said something or other in the other topic. Not sure what is known about Latus and SE2.

#14 User is offline   PC Michael 

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

linkerjpatrick, on Apr 22 2005, 12:31 PM, said:

I wonder if they will be taking advantage of the newly proposed DVD formats? I understand one of them will have the an ability of interactivity not seen in current DVD's.

Eek I kind of hope not. Those are still in heavy standards battles right now, and if Cyan chooses the wrong one, it could be another Uru. :squee:

#15 User is offline   linkerjpatrick 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:38 AM

PC Michael, on Apr 23 2005, 12:10 AM, said:

linkerjpatrick, on Apr 22 2005, 12:31 PM, said:

I wonder if they will be taking advantage of the newly proposed DVD formats?  I understand one of them will have the an ability of interactivity not seen in current DVD's.

Eek I kind of hope not. Those are still in heavy standards battles right now, and if Cyan chooses the wrong one, it could be another Uru. :squee:

Yeah but the difference with Uru was broadband had such a limited audience because of two things;

1.) It not available in a lot of place

2.) the cost

hardware is different. Once you get it it's your's, you don't have to worry about the telco infastructure and the parts can become very inexpensive after a while.

#16 User is offline   Fireymarbles 

• Who says you're free?
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:31 AM

linkerjpatrick, on Apr 23 2005, 11:38 PM, said:

hardware is different.  Once you get it it's your's, you don't have to worry about the telco infastructure and the parts can become very inexpensive after a while.

However, if Cyan happen to pick a format which does not become widely used, then most drives won't support it, and they certainly won't ever become cheap. This is just like the DVD+R/DVD-R battle, although admittedly that's been remedied by having all drives supporting both...

But what do you mean, "interactivity"? This sounds interesting...

#17 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

I just hope Ubi learned their lesson and MARKETS the darn thing!

#18 User is offline   Alahmnat 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:20 PM

Animan, on Apr 23 2005, 09:25 AM, said:

I just hope Ubi learned their lesson and MARKETS the darn thing!

I wasn't even aware there was a guarantee that Ubi would be publishing it. Granted, it would probably make sense for Cyan to stick with a publisher that they already have some experience in dealing with, but at present, I don't think they've found someone who wants to publish Latus yet.

#19 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

Well, I also assumed that they'd stay with Ubi.

Of course, if they did find some other, more competent publisher, I wouldn't be complaining...

#20 User is offline   Corona 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:32 PM

Whatever Latus is, it must be pretty ecclectic. I guess it's a matter of guessing what future technologies will be up to par at the time of its release. That's a lot of wishful, risky projection. Seems like it could involve many technologies. PCs, internet, GPS, enhanced mobile phone, "closed" television, etc.

Sounds more tech savvy than PC game exploration savvy. That's too much $ & energy for me.

I look at the Myst series in a whole as linear. It has a linear storyline. Yet within TPOTS they hit a very powerful design structure with which they only tapped into one Age...Ahnonay. (No, not the insane 15 minutes theme.) The fact that you could go to the same Age in 3 different stages felt very right with me. It appeared the Age aged drastically.

They should apply this concept to a whole GAME, not just one Age. With DVDs (& better) they could incorporate a massive storyline into one (or several) game(s) with many different versions of the same old places. Basically, they can erode a game.

Yes, this means mega-foresight when developing a storyline, but it can be done. Even if the storys' ending was given a "B" grade from JA, think of the $, besides all the fun adventures & loyalty given & received from your fans.

#21 User is offline   Kube 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:01 AM

I dunno...feels like an ARG to me, Alternate Reality Game. Might sound crazy here...but what Rand said struck a familiar tone...and that the site latus.net has the title Posole...

#22 User is offline   Animan 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:50 AM

Exactly what I was saying. Posole leads me to believe that we might see some familiar...things in this game/thing.

#23 User is offline   Corona 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

Give that po soul some lettuce.

#24 User is offline   Kube 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:09 AM

Was intruiged by the title Posole, so I did some searching. I don't know if anyone else has discovered it, but I discovered a link provided by Rand at the site, Dick Staub.com. It goes to....http://latus.net/2004/08/is-it-art.html....and so the strangness continues. Indeed, the latus.net site and the above listed both have the same ads. Perhaps latus.net is being renovated?...Hehe...I probably sound pretty conspiratorial right now...

Apperently, it's some kind of blog for the creators of Myst?...

#25 User is offline   x42x 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

My mother used to make pozole for New Years. It's good. Imagine it being in a Myst game....

And Corona, the e is pronounced...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users