MYSTcommunity: Mysterium Room-mates - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Mysterium Room-mates 'an who's a-comin'

#1 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:374576

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

I'm planning on coming to Mysterium this year, and so is M@ :squee: (if all goes well) Now that we know the hotel, we can figure out the total cost of the trip, but it still depends on a couple factors.

First of all, who'd be willing to share a hotel room w/M@ & I? I assure you all we're not insane ;) (well, not dangerously insane anyway...<.< ) If we stay for 3 nights, at $130 a night, divided between 4 people, the room'll be about $100 a person for the whole weekend. So who'd wanna bunk with us? And everyone else might as well discuss rooming situations here as well (which'll give us an updated list of who's coming).

Second, I'd also like to discuss transportation issues. How'll we get from the airport to the hotel? Is there anyone who'll be there with a car that might be able to pick up (and subsequently drop off) people at the airport? Or what's the taxi/bus situation/fare in Chicago?

#2 User is offline   Ti'ana Katarina 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)
  • Group: Member

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:37 PM

*jumps on the bandwagon*

I too am in need of a roommate...I swear, I don't bite. :squee:

#3 User is offline   FahrmBoy 

• Group: Veteran Member

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

No, TK doesn't bite. ...But her laptop does. :squee:

*ahem* Um, I can room up with anybody who's willing to put up with me. And that number probably just dropped by one. ;)

As of right now, I'll be driving to the city with TK (probably on Thursday), so I suppose if three or less people want to carpool--and again put up with myself, my driving, my music, etc--they're more than welcome to. As long as somebody navigates. ;)

#4 User is offline   Ti'ana Katarina 

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

FahrmBoy, on Apr 24 2005, 07:52 PM, said:

No, TK doesn't bite. ...But her laptop does. :squee:

Only if you get too close to the CD drive...;) Besides, Largo will definitely have been replaced by the time Mysterium rolls around, and I'm sure my new laptop will be a little less...old and cranky. ;) :)

#5 User is offline   joclyn 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:27 PM

there's a link on the mysterium site to transportation info...

i'd need a roomie as well. i just can't afford, or justify, that kind of cost for a room on top of airfare.

#6 User is offline   Scraper 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Mysterium Committee

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:52 AM

K'laamas, on Apr 24 2005, 03:16 PM, said:

How'll we get from the airport to the hotel? Is there anyone who'll be there with a car that might be able to pick up (and subsequently drop off) people at the airport? Or what's the taxi/bus situation/fare in Chicago?

From O'Hare airport you can hop right on the blue line train. It goes very close to the hotel. Maybe that'll help you out!

#7 User is offline   Zenith 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

Hey myself and a friend were thinking about going but not sure if we can...just thought I'd mention that. So if we are not sure until the last minute would that be a problem???

#8 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

C'mon, c'mon, people! What, are y'all sleeping in your cars in the parking lot or something? ;) Let's get room-mate situations settled! I'd like to bring up Mysterium w/the parental units by the end of the week so I can order plane tickets. And the male parental unit's finance lecture will go a lot smoother if I have everything figured out & finalized :squee:

K'laamas, M@, TK, Fahrmy, & joclyn. Anyone else need a room-mate, &/or are willing to bunk with us?

#9 User is offline   moiety 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Sign me up for a roommate! :squee:

(I think I can make this. ;) )

#10 User is offline   Nisan 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:04 AM

Ooh! I'm definitely going to Mysterium, and I definitely need a roommate.

#11 User is offline   Eleri 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:53 AM

Hey, I was told I needed to post this over here:

http://www.mystembassy.net/hotel.html

I've volunteered myself for setting up people with roomates :squee:

#12 User is offline   Nisan 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:13 AM

Never mind. I've signed up with MystEmbassy's roommate program.

#13 User is offline   Annacat 

• By the Weaving!
  • KI number:297373

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

Hmmm...I'm really hoping to go, but it depends on a couple of things.

First of all, how to get there? I have a car, but according to the atlas, Chicago is about 996 miles from Buffalo (I'm actually going to be in Rochester this summer, not Buffalo, but Rochester isn't listed in the distance table, and Buffalo is close enough.) I suppose carpooling would be possible, but I'm not sure I'm trusting enough to take a road trip with someone I'd only met online, and because of the way my car is insured I would have to do all the driving. Bleh. A possibility, but bleh.

Obviously, I'd rather fly, which would probably end up being cheaper when you consider the gas involved and a probable overnight. The thing is my passport is going to be somewhere in Canada at that time (I think in Montreal) because I'm applying for a Canadian visa to start in late August, so I won't have my passport to use as a point of ID for the airline. I have a driver's license too, so I need to check and see if you can use that instead of a passport on domestic flights, but I've never used anything but my passport for ID (have one, might as well) when I fly.

There's also a matter of whether I can find a job, which hopefully being in Rochester instead of my little village will help with, and whether I can get time off from it. I'm only taking off one other day all summer (for a wedding on August 13th,) so hopefully I can get Mysterium weekend off, especially since it's my birthday. :squee:

If all these things work out, I will be at Mysterium and looking for roommates. I plan to sign up for the Myst Embassy thing as soon as I know I'm coming (or...know that I'm not.)

Annacat

#14 User is offline   River 

• River

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

AnnaCat,

Yes you can use only a drivers license if you are flying domestically (I am presuming you are a USA citizen).

But I suppose that is only a small bit of a larger challenge. Good luck figuring it out - I'll keep hoping.

#15 User is offline   Annacat 

• By the Weaving!
  • KI number:297373

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:01 AM

Yes you can use only a drivers license if you are flying domestically (I am presuming you are a USA citizen).

Oh, excellent! Thanks, River! :squee:

But I suppose that is only a small bit of a larger challenge.

Actually, it's a fairly big bit of a larger challenge. If I were driving instead of flying, I would basically need to factor in four extra days for the trip (two to drive there, two back.) I wouldn't want to drive on Friday or Sunday, because it hardly seems worth it to drive all that way and stay there for basically only one full day-- Saturday. If I drove, I would pretty much have to take a full week off from work, especially since I need to build in a little extra time in case my extremely reliable but still very high mileage car picks this trip to have problems. If I flew, I could take off three days instead of seven; I could fly Friday morning and Sunday night and still be there for everything. Getting three days off would, needless to say, be a whole lot easier than getting seven.

So thanks, River! That does make a pretty big difference! ;)

Annacat

#16 User is offline   Eleri 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

Just a reminder that the deadline for signing up for roomshare (through Myst Embassy) is JUNE 11

That gives me time to match people up and have the groups posted by JUNE 15, and the groups time to decide who's reserving the room. Deadline for reserving a room at the group rate is JUNE 22.

#17 User is offline   Eleri 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

The results are in:

http://www.mystembassy.net/hotel.html

#18 User is offline   MystRivenExile 

• Admiral of the White

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:17 PM

Um, my family is coming with me, but can we get a room reservation as well? I'll have the details in a day or so, I'd just like to be listed in the Mysterium package.

#19 User is offline   Alahmnat 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:00 PM

As I understand it, MRE, as long as you place a reservation with the hotel by June 22nd you'll be able to secure a room with the Mysterium discount (and you have to do it over the phone, or you won't get the discounted rate).

Hey Nisan, are you still planning on making the reservation for the three of us, or has M@ volunteered? I'll be sure to bring money either way :angry:.

#20 User is offline   Nisan 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:52 AM

Alahmat: I haven't heard from M@ yet, but I'm planning on making the reservation.

Thanks Eleri for organizing!

#21 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:29 PM

M@'s been at a job down in northern Arizona since the middle of May. He can probably get computer access every few weeks, but don't hold your breath. But he calls every week, so I'll get the scoop from him :angry:

#22 User is offline   ha nekhira 

• telahm (guildsman)

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

I'm posting more'n usual tonight -- anyways.....

Would anyone mind being a roommate? I am (very hesitantly) considering flying in Friday night and leaving Sunday morning.

--nek

#23 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

I finally brought up Mysterium w/the parental units yesterday. My mom'll let us use her credit card to reserve a room. I just need to know which nights. Here's how it looks:

Room1--K'laamas Fri-Sun nights, and Fahrmy & Horizon Thurs-Sun nights
Room2--M@, Alahmnat, & Nisan Fri-Sat nights

Someone from one of the 2 groups needs to volunteer to reserve a room for their group, and then me/M@ will reserve the other room. Nisan, if you're still planning to reserve the room for your group, let me know soon. We've only got another couple days to get the discount.

Also, if anyone else needs a room & room-mates, I'm sure us 6 would be glad to have another person. Dividing costs between 4 ppl is better than between 3 :eek:

Whee 4 Mysterium! ^_^

:angry: :eek: :evil:

#24 User is offline   FahrmBoy 

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:06 PM

If Horizon is still in, I'm pretty sure I can reserve our room for the four nights. :eek:

But yeah, we can squeeze another one in there somehow. :evil: Who's up for it?! :angry:

#25 User is offline   MystRivenExile 

• Admiral of the White

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:31 PM

I can ask, but I'm sure my Dad would rather save a few bucks. We have a room as well, if anyone is interested, there are three of us, and my little brother only bites a little. :angry:

It's actually down from last years attacks..... :eek:

Anyway, yeah, I definitely say fill up the other rooms first. But if there IS an extra, I'm sure we'd be happy to share. We're staying Friday and Saturday nights.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users