MYSTcommunity: How to get Myst music from game files - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

How to get Myst music from game files For all myst games

#26 User is offline   Dougy 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for that realXCV. I added your corrections to the main list.

#27 User is offline   Lord Chaos 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

Some notes on music extractions:

1. Anything that's a loop starts and ends abruptly. To make these more useful in playlists, I work on them with Audacity. I copy about 10 seconds from the end and paste that onto the beginning, and copy about 10 seconds from the beginning and paste it onto the end. Then I apply 10 seconds of fade-in on the beginning and 10 seconds of fade out on the end.

2. The Ahnonay sphere music has a high average level that's a problem. I use Audacity's gain reduction tool to drop these by about 6dB.

3. Various other sounds can be useful in special playlists. All of these can be modified in Audacity, such as the link sounds, animal sounds and wind. They can be assembled in many ways, too. Be sure to keep an eye on the overall volume when combining tracks as it's easy to force them to clip. Use the gain reducer to adjust.

Ron Hayter's Riveal and Revelator site compares the files you get with the game to the files you get on the soundtrack CDs. This saves you a lot of time if you already own the soundtracks. For example, practically all of the music from Myst is on the soundtrack CD; the only ones I added are the Rime music tracks.

I'd like to see Cyan put out a new Uru soundtrack CD with all of the additional music. The OGG extractions sound good but CDs sound a little better. I mix exracted music into playlists regularly and, over Shoutcast, no one knows the difference.

#28 User is offline   bluewyvern 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

View PostLord Chaos, on Oct 30 2007, 10:55 AM, said:

Anything that's a loop starts and ends abruptly. To make these more useful in playlists, I work on them with Audacity. I copy about 10 seconds from the end and paste that onto the beginning, and copy about 10 seconds from the beginning and paste it onto the end. Then I apply 10 seconds of fade-in on the beginning and 10 seconds of fade out on the end.

Do you have any of these modified soundtracks you might be willing to share? *hopeful*

#29 User is offline   Lord Chaos 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

Yes... I have all of these in my music library. They're WAV files. I can use Audacity to convert them to MP3.

I have the Ahnonay sphere music.
I have a "Desert Walk" sequence, which is part of my "Journey to the Deep City" playlist. It has Atrus' introduction, some walking, snippets of the birds and such, some of Zandi's words, and ends with the opening of the Tree in the Cleft. Runs about 3 minutes, I think. I've been working rather desultorily on an improved version but it isn't done yet. In various computer problems I lost all of the Audacity originals, I think... but the files should still be on the backup. I'll check. :twitch:

#30 User is offline   MissAlyx 

• rov nee (new person)
  • KI number:00149539

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

View PostDougy, on Oct 2 2005, 05:51 AM, said:

Channelwood
muchtmp1 � unsure

A: It's called muchtmpl1.wav and muchtmpl2.wav (Both exactly the same, oddly!)
B: I believe you will find that is the Temple audio (Havn't played Channelwood in ages, i remember there been a temple), If there isn't.. It's probably a scrapped idea

#31 User is offline   Clarinerd617 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Guys, guess what? There is some really handy third party software that allows you to convert ogg files to mp3, so that you could put them on your iPod.

Ironically, it's called Super.

Just google it.

#32 User is offline   Calfuray 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:23 AM

View PostDougy, on Oct 1 2005, 09:51 PM, said:

Myst Island:
muflystn1 � Stoneship Book Room
muflychn1 � Channelwood Book Room
muflymch2 � Mechanical Book Room
mugenstr1 � Generator