MYSTcommunity: My Myst V Journal - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

My Myst V Journal I'm playing it at last

#1 User is offline   David Mouse 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:18 AM

I'm finally getting around to starting Myst V. I kept putting it off, since I've been busy lately. I have assumed that you play as the Stranger, not as an Uru explorer.

Anyway, I start out in a certain VERY familiar room on K'veer Island, which I can finally get out of. (Don't ask me how I got there. It does support the Uru explorer theory.)

I see the creatures, follow the stairs down the only possible path, to a journal and camera, just like in Revelation (which supports the Stranger theory), and spend a long time making my first entry.

Then I continue, until I reach a large chamber with a weird bubble with views from various Ages, alternating, with a large pedastal or something in the middle. The top is glowing. I go into the bubble, touch the pedastal, and it stops glowing. I come out, and Yeesha appears, now apparently middle aged, or maybe premature graying, who says that the Tablet (evidently the pedastal thing) has responded to me, and says that if I'm looking for her father, he will not be requiring my assistance, and his burden has passed to her (which supports the Stranger theory, I think, because an Uru explorer wouldn't be seeking Atrus, and would know his burden has passed to her already. And besides, the way she said "of course" after the Tablet responds to you.)

She then explains this decade's mission. It involves the Tablet (which I don't know much about, except it seems to bear an uncanny resemblance to the One Ring), and the Bahro (who I also know little about, never having finished Uru, due to nightmare inducing puzzles). She says I must "gather what is scattered" (again?!) to release the tablet. Then I will carry the tablet, and what I do with it is up to me, but she begged me not to give it to her.

Then she linked me through to the surface somehow. (It appears that there's more to Linking than we thought.) Up there, I meet Esher, and see a very familiar giant dagger, and pictures depicting oddly familiar scenes. Esher doesn't seem to think highly of Yeesha, but he promises to help me. (I wonder why he didn't join Atrus before?) I then go underground, through the passage that Anna and her father discovered, see the Bahro again, see the end of the great passage that was to have connected D'ni to the surface, see Yeesha's room and her first few journal entries, which allude to her family history and Myst Island itself and the events of previous games and the Stranger's hand in them, and about time, too! Then I link to Direbo and meet Esher again, who tells me about the method of transport between Ages for the game, and refers to the Bahro again. Then I go to Taghira, where Esher explains about the tablets, and how to use them, which I do to get out of the ice cave. I then get around a bit, seeing a few more symbos and trying to use them, and figuring out how to use them to get back to the Linking point. I see the machines on the Age, and Esher explains the Age's history and purpose, and the purpose of the machines, but I'm not sure how to use them. Yet.

I think Yeesha brought the Stranger forward in time or something myself.

And, though the ages are smaller than ever before, I am intrigued.

#2 User is offline   David Mouse 

• telahm (guildsman)

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:10 PM

I learned a couple of symbols, got the slate up the ladder with the Bahro's help, opened a heat vent, found out what the machines were for, and found the water patch I have to use the machines to cross. (The water here has microbes that behave exactly opposite to the aquatic microbes on Riven.) I'm not quite sure how to set up the handles.

I have been getting some help from the strategy guide, to be honest, but I found out how to do the symbols and the basic purpose of the machines on my own.

#3 User is offline   David Mouse 

• telahm (guildsman)

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

I finished Taghira. With a couple of nudges from the guide, I managed to form a path across the water to the other side, where there were pillars Esher called tombs of the D'ni who lived here.

I had to copy the symbol in the keep onto the slate from a distance but I managed it (Esher wasn't kidding when he said it would run from me), and then went back to Direbo, and then to D'ni. I went to the circular hallway, where Esher pointed out the door to me, found the handle, opened it, closed it behind me, then came to the Great Shaft, which is as deep as one would expect. Esher appeared again, and told us about it, and made it clear that he belongs to the anti-Ti'ana school of thought. Yet another resemblance to Gehn. He then said to take the elevator below, where I would find another book in another resting area. I went down, found the room, and linked to Direbo again, and then to another Age that seems to be on the moon of a gas giant. It resembles C. S. Lewis's descriptions of Malacandra, endless swamps and tall, narrow mountains as far as the eye can see. And stars and nebulae and planets in the sky. The D'ni apparently built telescopes on some of these mountains. I go up into a building that seems to be an observatory, where I see Esher again, who tells me that the Age is called Todelmer, and it was meant to study the heavens, but they were unable to finish, because of the Fall of D'ni. He attacked Anna again, blaming her for changing the D'ni's rules, and causing the destruction. He then went on to criticize the philosophy of Yeesha. Of course, it was really someone with his philosophy who destroyed D'ni, but that's neither here nor there.
The observatory has control panels very like the planitarium on Myst Island. But I don't know what to do with them. I'm kind of stuck. And "hospitable" is NOT a word that springs to mind regardin this Ages. If you could get to the ground perhaps, which is one of the things that distinguish it from Spire.

#4 User is offline   David Mouse 

• telahm (guildsman)

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

Forgive my bump, but it's my journal.

After a long trip, I came back to Todelmer.

I got a hint from the guide how to get rid of the cable blocking the path, and went up to the top. I saw the other built-upon mountains through the small telescope, and that there was a pedastal on one. I also saw the symbol below the tram, and knew it was for the telescope controls. I thought I could just find the tram and get accross.

I entered the coordinates into the appropriate control, went up, and found the stairs to the tram open, which I had actually opened before without realizing it. I found the tram stop, but was unable to get it to come, no matter how much I messed with it. I noted the tram's similarity to the Rivenese Maglev.

I went to the guide again which told me I was supposed to go to the small one first, which was unconnected to anything, and could only be reached by linking. (So much for non-linearity.) I then went back to the telescope, looked at the symbol on the pedastal, copied it onto the slate, left the slate for the Bahro, who picked it up, then I linked over.

More later, I'm tired.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users