MYSTcommunity: Compass Room Recessed Plate? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Compass Room Recessed Plate? I can't find it I've even read another topic about it

#1 User is offline   FOXIECYNDI 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

I can't find it the passage way is way to dark and i can't see the reccessed plate anywhere I have searched for over an our trying to find it can anyone tell me where it is like how many screens down from the boat??? please thanks so much

#2 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:13 AM

View PostFOXIECYNDI, on Mar 15 2007, 01:18 AM, said:

I can't find it the passage way is way to dark and i can't see the reccessed plate anywhere I have searched for over an our trying to find it can anyone tell me where it is like how many screens down from the boat??? please thanks so much

Maybe you can find a way to turn on the lights?

#3 User is offline   FOXIECYNDI 

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

omg duh!!!!!! i feel like such a ditz thank you

#4 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

Go to the lighthouse. I'm sure that you'll find something there that you'll get a real charge out of. :D

#5 User is offline   docweasel 

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

View PostFOXIECYNDI, on Mar 15 2007, 12:18 AM, said:

I've only recently downloaded Myst because my gf and I have done many other 'mystery/adventure' games like Sentinel, Keepsake, the Syberia/ Paradise/Amerzone series, Devil May Cry, King's Quest, DaVinci Manuscript, Agatha Christie series, Barrow Hill (ugh), Schism and a dozen others and we wanted to try out the good old Myst, and were nearly stumped on this by a very stupid point:

Even in the walk throughs (I'm sure you discourage those but there comes a point sometimes its either you quit or you peek) it talks about clicking on the generator and waiting until the 'white bar is completely full', which we had already done, so that was no help. Since the sons' rooms are lit and even the lighthouse bare bulb is lit, you figure, ok, I got it to charge. And many of the people talking about not being able to find the little red door talked about it being too dark to see it (that was our problem). So we figured we had the gen pumped up and that's as light as the corridors were going to get (its a game flaw, in my judgement, that there is light in the bedrooms and in the lighthouse stairway without the generator working- there should be power for all or power for none, but that's just my opinion).

Eventually, after nearly junking the game thinking there was some glitch with the XP/95 compatibility mode, by luck we tried CLICKING AND HOLDING the generator instead of clicking over and over cranking it. I don't think this is a spoiler really. Also, all you walkthrough writers who write about "the battery's bar will go up full white when its full" you are full of it yourselves. The little light will go from red to yellow (it might even eventually go to green, I don't know, we were able to complete the tasks with no recharge just up to yellow).

I searched the net in vain for answers to why we could not find the little red door, so I'm posting this as a public service to the dozens of unanswered people (some from the mid-90's) who were stumped here and beg in forums for someone to show them the red door, always with statements like "My monitor is very dark" and answers like "Its very hard to see, its near the floor"- its not hard to see at all, and if the corridor is dark once you pump up the power, your monitor is broken. The corridor to the sons' room is nearly light as any scene in Myst, and the little red door pops out at you plain as day.

Also, if you do not get the generator running, the red box is simply _not there_, or not clickable- after pixel-hunting for it up and down the stairs, and again after figuring out how to actually get the lights on and letting the gen die, knowing exactly where it was, it would not click. You must get the light s on, just like in the ship's cabin to get the book to rise. No stumbling on stuff in the dark for Myst!

Anyway, it was a fun game considering it was one of the first of its kind (a lot better than 7th Guest, anyway!) although the puzzles don't hold up as well after having done many later games with much harder puzzles. Also, the part about only being able to hold one page at a time was quite tedious, why have to go back and do the same thing again to get the other page? Ugh. It would have been nice to have an inventory to hold books and notes also instead of having to return to the library to refer to them also. The most egregious game error is the fact you can complete Myst in about 10 minutes without ever leaving the original island. It would have been so simple to put a trigger in every Age to prevent the final 'vault' from opening unless you'd visited every Age, but the game is old so it has an excuse I guess. Or maybe its an easter egg.

So in summary, for those of you who can't find the door, CLICK AND HOLD the generator until the light turns yellow (or it might go up to green eventually). No other hint is necessary, you'll find the compass room door no problem.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users