MYSTcommunity: Adventures In Exile - MYSTcommunity

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Adventures In Exile How I Played Hooky From Work!

#1 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

Hmmm. Just got the third installment in the mail this noon - was supposed to go and do the laundry - whoop! The dirty socks are STILL in the corner. Maybe get to them if they start to sprout eyestalks and move about. Maybe not.

Landed pretty hard - got all flown with chasing after the crazy guy. I managed to finger out the weird rabbit-cat thing with the puffy cheeks - its whistle made the flowers bloat and I could get into the tusk w/ the green light! Woo-hoo! The lights circling the island took a bit, and I did leave the sound on and take a nap with the wind and water in the background. The soundtrack is turning out to be my favorite part of the games - like with the chickadees in Riven. Leave those on for hours as I putter round the house..

More tomorrow..

Deb.

#2 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

Well, today I had a long hard slog of scraping a deck in the hot, hot sun! Whee! So when I opened the book to J'nanin I was ready to sit on the rocks and kip a few relaxing minutes. Glad I brought a beer. I finally got restive and figured out the trick with the elevator in the main tower. That crazy guy jumped into a book and scarpered when I came in. Found the combinations to the books in the tusk towers!

Excellent!

When I finally opened the book to Edanna I was lost! What a wonderful place - and again, the sounds took me away. I am having a time with finagling the big blue flower. I got inside the closed-up one and found the fan-plant that opens and closes the other blue plant, but that's about it. Will get to that one later.

Found out the crazy gent is named Savedro (sp?) - BOY! is this guy damaged goods! Whatever Achenar and Sirrus did, must've been horiffic. Freed the bird, but that electric cuttlefish is now buzzing like a fiend when I go past the pool it's in. Thing's probably bent out of shape at me that I blew it out of its home inside the vines.

The solar-power flowers are pretty cool. Wouldn't mind a garden full of the yellow ones! :P

More tomorrow.

Deb.

#3 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

Buuuuu. Company arrived unexpectedly, just as I was getting to figuring out the vibrating rings on Amateria. I did manage to figure out the order of the gates and how to properly key in the correct shapes! Very clever. Also, the mural on the wall is a bit unnerving. I think it's the beady eyes that get me. Don't like it.

I found some more pieces of Saavedro's journal - the man's pretty P.O'd..

I seem to have come to a standstill WRT any progress figuring out the puzzle involving the hanging ball w/ the sections that you can add or subtract. I *think * it has something to do with the gravities of the pieces, but am not sure. I got tired and have to sleep (my brain's gone to mush), so I'll leave this conundrum for now.

Deb.

#4 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

Well, I'm stuck.

I'm a bit lost with one of the puzzles on Amateria. Just can't parse the mechanisms or their purpose. I worked for what seemed like hours and got nowhere. ::sigh:: So I kicked it in the head and went back to J'nanin and napped under the sun. Just love the sound of surf and wind. Then I backtracked to Riven and hung out with the chickadees and the sunners for a few more hours.

I suppose I could give Voltaic a walkthrough again, and see if I can find any more bits of Saavedro's journal. Maybe find more clues. Give the stuff I come across time to settle. I'll sleep on this I think, and see what my subconscious mind can make of it.

Deb.

#5 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

Well, I had a few weeks of crushing work and couldn't find the time, or mental energy to visit the Myst worlds. How I missed the peace, quiet and beauty.

I started right off again, with a victory - I figured out the puzzle on Amateria! What fun, when I got into the main building - the final ride in the crystal ball - I almost lost my cookies on that.

My walkthrough on Voltaic produced some more notes.

Saavedro jammed up one of the mechanisms so I'm having a bit of a time with that. Looks like he stuffed a big nail in it. Jerk.

I did find the way to get the water wheel to work, so I've one of the power sources running for the mechanisms. I still can't make heads or tails of the big iris thing in the back, though the vent from the lava room runs out towards it, so it must be linked.. somehow.

I'm going to go sit on the water's edge and pop a cold one and think about this..

More later..

Deb.

#6 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:24 PM

Success! I finally figured out the steam/lava room and got the steam to go out to the iris thing. I am a bit confuzzled by the steam pipes - I'm 37 points off of the right setting on the pressure gauge and the valves before me can't make that multiple. I can hear more valves hissing when I climb to the top, but I'm having a bit of a problem working the lever - it releases with a small hiss on occasion, so there must not be enough steam in the system. I'll go back to the boiler room to see if there's more pressure available - later...

I found a passageway with another viewer - and after getting another cryptic message from Saavedro - I don't like this guy.. I found it lead to some sort of generator - it's got heavy metal circuits on drums you can spin - top to bottom. I figured out that one quickly enough. Make the circuit go !fzzzzt! and I got the electricity lightshow overhead. Cool. Now that elevator will get me to the lower level outside, but the iris still doesn't open.. Got to be those steam vents I can hear somewhere..

Will get back to this later..

Deb.

#7 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Sometimes I amaze myself. I can make lead look porous and airy.

I was closer on the steam vents than I guessed - BUT - I did find the trick. Did the math and found the valves and voila!

Helps if you learn to operate a lever handle.

I got the floaty boat released and - yes! - the ride past he waterwheel to the final puzzle of the Age.

I love it!

More later..

#8 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

Alright, I've got two of the codes Saavedro changed, so it's back to Edanna to finish off the hunt for the third..

I love this age the best. I want a garden like the one here.

The blue flower is proving to be a challenge. The small fan-shaped plants that block the sunlight are a part, I just can't figure out how.. Is it the bugs? I can push the small bulb near the plant stem with the hole in it, but what it relates to - or more importantly how, is the question.

More later.

Deb.

#9 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Oh boy! What to do!?

I got to Narayan!

Right off the bat, I was accosted by Saavedro - this guy makes my skin crawl in NO small way. Don't trust him one jot.

I fingered out the puzzle pieces and noticed the clues I already have set the proper order for them. REAL clever! Oh, this is wonderful! Again, Saavedro came down and was happy at first then started to go all psycho-babble and threatening at me.

So here I pause to commit my steps so far to be written down and saved - also this gives me a point to start again at if things should go south on me. Ermmm....

I don't like THIS place I'm in at all.

Don't like it one bit.. :P

Deb.

#10 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:09 PM

$&*$#!!!

He hit me and it was lights out - OW! That hurt.

Obviously, I've got some events out of order. Will need to parse this correctly. Good thing I saved my path so far.. won't be too hard to backtrack and see where I went wrong.

Ermmm.. :/

..thoroughly chastened, I leave...

More later.

Deb.

#11 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

Well! After getting pounded upon by The De-ranged One, I had to rethink the situation.

He DID say there was no turning back, that he wasn't going to forgive Atrus even though the D'ni had been reborn. I can give Saavedro what he wants, which is for me to throw the switch to lower the outside barrier - but no way is he going to honor his promise - I know that much.

I suppose I can try with the main power switch and see what that gets - he'll be stuck on the platform near the hanging boat, since that's where he's standing. Will have to move fast.

More later.

Deb.

#12 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

Heee! I got it!

After two wrong turns, I came to the right conclusion and solved the puzzle, getting Releeshahn back to Atrus and giving Saavedro a chance at his life.

All in all, I have had a wonderful time with this journey - I almost wish I could forget the whole thing so I could have the fun of solving it again. I know my descriptions have been a bit unclear on things - I don't want to give away too much of the adventure!

Here is where I pause in my journal keeping - that is until I get my hands on the next volumes of Myst.

I will be back in a short time.

Deb.

#13 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

A mixed report of my situation. My trip to Tomanha and points beyond came in the mail today.

The message from Atrus is compelling to say the least! I'm having a small problem with getting around - my trusty interface equipment is 10 years old and very patched and upgraded, so I am forced to move in small increments and commit my steps to a saved state every few minutes.

I did manage to meet Yeesha - she's turning out to be a really nice kid! - and I met Atrus again - my how he's aged. I think the work he's been doing is wearing him down. The baggage he's carrying must be heavy indeed.

Last I saw of him, the crystal viewer blew a fuse and fried the power - I can entirely relate.

My own situation is similar - equipment pushed beyond it's original capacity and strung together with the proverbial bailing wire and twine. The limitations of my own machinery forced my journey to an abrupt hiatus.

I am not happy in the least. :P

I am now more committed than ever to getting the finances to finish this adventure. Will be back when I do.

Deb.

#14 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

Woo hoo I'm BAAAACK!!!

I got a new setup! I am now fully able to continue my Myst journeys!

:twitch:

First off, I got the hang (sort-of) of the imager. Can't quite get the hang of the point and shoot nature of the blasted thing.
I got more than a few pictures of the tail ends of birds! Thumb in the way indeed! Will need to set this up a bit better - can do this now.

Managed to get back to Atrus - we solved the frequency puzzle easily enough now that I can keep up with his instructions. Cool. Of course, as happened the last time, everything blew up and went to pieces - ermmm. Atrus took off for Rime and the Cleft to get the stuff needed and I got the chance to explore. What a lovely home!

Truly, I am jealous. Wish I had a place as peaceable and wondrous to live in.

Now to business... I found the charts with the layout of the home - the water wheel is impressive! I am having a time with figuring out the power relays, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the deal with Yeesha's beeltes. Do I have to let them go? Are they connected to the lillies in the greenhouse thing across the room? Hmmm. I'm itching to get downstairs but I've to finger out the release gates for the water wheel first - perhaps this will solve the power problem. Will give this some attention for tonight and see what I can come up with.

Later.

Deb.

#15 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

Oh dear Lord, what just happened?

I got the water wheel working after figuring out the power relays in the center building and the then it was literally lights out for me!

The bridge collapsed I was on and the wibbly-wobbly view of the world is NOT something I want to experience again.

Did the thing cause vibrations and shake the bridge loose? I am totally freaking. It's obviously been some time that I've been out, it's dark now. Thankfully I have full power to the compound.

I don't know if I should try to call Atrus back or not. He asked me to keep an eye on Yeesha, and she's nowhere to be found.

I've got a queasy feeling I did something wrong. This is SO not what I was expecting.

That's it, I'm pausing here and going to bed. :twitch:

Until tomorrow.

Deb.

#16 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

Whoa.. I found Yeesha's journal and realized the bookcase in her room held a key. The books are all labeled in D'ni on the spines so it's back to the family living/dining room to make sense of the letters. This is proving to be a challenge. Wish I had a calligraphy pen to copy the letters down properly. I've been trying to decipher the writing on them and this is taking more time than I'd thought. Christ, I need a drink.

More later.

Deb.

#17 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

Short and sweet..

Lotsa nothing until I got the bookcase fingered out and found more of the same on the other side. No kid.

I did find the crystal pendant and am working out the puzzle in the fireplace.

More later..

Deb.

#18 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

Ahh, charming... The prison age books. :twitch:

Ehhhhh, I've got a bad feeling about this. Smashed stuff everywhere and the security door blown to bits..

Am going to save my path here 'cos I *know* that I'm going to step in it but good.

And away we go...

Deb.

#19 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

Well, I didn't seem to get too far on the first book - the Age is very sparse - what appears to be a wrecked ship in the distance and some bamboo scaffolding that seems like it goes someplace, but I can't climb along it. Busted statues and what's with the broken shards in the 'meeting room' area where the linking book dumps me off?

Hmm. Am gonna try the other book and see what Age that gets me to.

Later..

#20 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

Spire, it is.

Crystal world that is eating my brain. Haven't figured out a single mechanical puzzle. Not really trying at this point, just trying to make sense of what Yeesha's crystal is showing.

I have an uneasy feeling that the bridge collapse wasn't anything I could avoid. I'm thinking that somewhere along the way Sirrus fingered out how to get the crystals to shatter and blow up. Been fiddling with some of the puzzles and it seems a possibility. Carve them into statues and use the kid to get them where they need to be and on goes the power and BLAM! Would certainly fit with the devastation surrounding the linking books..

Did I mention that my brain's been eaten?

Eeeeeeermm.

#21 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

Oh boy I'm stumped. I managed to get the floating-ball ship on Spire to the right spot so I can get into it, but it won't go anywhere. Found all the levels with equipment I can fiddle with, but from the circuit diagram I can see that there's a few relays.. or whatever that aren't getting power. I'm going to have to do something I don't want to now, and that's start to hunt for stuff. I found a few notes I missed on the initial walkthroughs, but they aren't telling me anything that I can parse yet.

More later..

Deb.

#22 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

Well, things havve gotten interesting. I got stumped on Spire and stopped dead so I returned to Tomanha - just in time to see Achenar throw a book out of Yeesha's room onto the landing below. I got through the bookcase to the thing and it's a linking book to Serenia. I met a woman there and was heading down to the water's edge and I came upon Achenar - glad there was a bridge out. He told me some interesting stuff and wheere to find a journal so I went looking for that. I saw Sirrus - he got a look at me as he was coming out of what looks like some sort of diving bell, then he broke the window in the thing and scrammed.

Lots and lots of water work mechanisms here.. Haven't a clue what they're to do or even the paths of the streams that weave through the place.

May be time to break out the vellum sheets and start mapping stuff..

More later..

Deb.

#23 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

Been getting kicked in the teeth with work, so I haven't had much time for exploring Serenia... but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking of the situation there. I have a feeling that Yeesha is inside the big brown flower building that's by the water's edge.. can't get in. Also I found some items that set the crystal pendant off and saw/heard some disturbing things.

Not good. until I can finger out how to interrupt the water flow past it - as the diving bell thing drops down low, there appears to be a door - that's underwater. Maybe if I can finger out the flow of the streams I can try getting in that way? Don't know. Now I really need to get on it with working out the mechanisms.

Also, who's in the balloons I noticed floating away?

Hmmm.

Later.

Deb.

#24 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

I'm really, reallly REALLY, lost here.

Have hit a wall and got discouraged but this time I'm NOT going to run for help.

Will figure this puzzle out if it kills me.

Later..

#25 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

Well, I'm back!

Has been a while, my real life adventures took me far from these peaceable, though troubled lands.. I'm starting back afresh with my last saved puzzles - though I may have to backtrack a bit. I spent the last day revisiting Edanna - of all the ages written by my friend Atrus, it is still my favorite!

Many apologies for being so remiss in keeping up with my journal..

Deb.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users