MYSTcommunity: A Tentative Itinerary for Mysterium? - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

A Tentative Itinerary for Mysterium? ...Or, well, making one, anyway.

#1 User is offline   Shoomlah 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

At M@'s keen suggestion, I've decided to open up a topic for discussion of this year's ( as of the time of publication) nonexistant itinerary. As for what's been said in terms of itinerary so far, here's what I jotted down over in the 'Who's Coming?' thread:

View PostShoomlah, on Jul 12 2007, 11:04 PM, said:

I live in LA, so I'll be around for as long as is needed. I live in the San Fernando Valley, just north of Santa Monica, so I feel like I'll be somewhat useful in terms of contributing ideas.

I know Myst fans tend to love museums, and LA has LACMA, The Page Museum by the infamous La Brea Tar Pits, The Getty, The Natural History Museum, and lots of other interesting little compendiums of knowledge tucked away in its many corners. There's also The Bradbury Building, renowned for the sheer steampunkery of its interior, so that's a lot of things to think about.

I'd also love to invite everyone over to my house for one of the nights; as I posted here quite a while back, the new house that my parents acquired in stunningly Myst-esque, complete with metal sconces, tons of detail, and hidden compartments... It would be fun to finally get some more Myst fans to check it out. :P

I was also considering suggesting some hiking ideas, if people were interested. Vasquez Rocks are always a fun and otherworldly place to check out, and there are plenty of caves and forests around to satisfy one's exploratory needs.

So! There's a start. As I know that I'd really like to invite people over to my place one of the nights for general lounging about, snacks, and sharing in Myst geekery, here are the directions to my house using the all-powerful GoogleMaps. I'm thinking Saturday night might be best for that, as I'm going to be a bit preoccupied late Friday night purchasing the latest Harry Potter book... Speaking of which, actually, if anyone wants to join me, I'll be the one dressed as a Death Eater at my local bookstore. But anyway.

I don't know what people are interested in doing in terms of sightseeing, so I'd love to get some feedback on that- I enjoy hiking and museums, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone does, so I want to be flexible and make sure that everyone has as good a time as is possible. Also, if anyone is interested in doing mini presentations, theyre more than welcome to make the best f my house and show off their creativity and wares.

That's all I've got for now- I hope I get some responses, if only even to set up a time and place to initially meet up and winging it from there, or, alternatively, exchanging cell numbers.
-C

#2 User is offline   Nisan 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for coming forward with those ideas, Shoomlah! A Saturday night gathering at your house would be awesome. Highlight of the weekend, actually. I've always wanted to see that place with my own eyes. Ten times better than a hotel conference room. :P

Vasquez Rocks hike sounds mandatory.

Is there a nice beach or rocky shore near LA? (I'm thinking Sunner Lagoon here...)

I've made a Google Map with EDGE and Laser Tag locations, among other things. Check it out.

I'm in favor of a planning session -- how about Thursday evening at the Comfort Inn? I could go find a Kinko's on Friday and print up some welcome messages/rough itineraries.

#3 User is offline   Vaaht 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

So, I was unofficially asked by the Committee for help on the itinerary, but I'm working alone and I haven't gotten any feedback from them, nor have I planned an event before. Shoom'lah, you don't know me, but I'm the other LA contact (I live near Downtown and I used to live near Santa Monica). So, I'm just going to put up the thoughts that I sent Scraper, so let me know what you guys think.

My idea was to make packets with all possible ideas that we had, list directions on how to get there along with maps, as well as have a main map of LA including major streets and freeways and how they connect. I was also going to include my phone number in case anyone got lost, or needed anything while they were here (since no committee members are going to be here). The purpose of all this is to minimize the troubles people might have for getting around LA.

Also, I would love a planning session beforehand. : ) Did that mean you guys were willing to meet up the Thursday night beforehand? Or am I just confused? Anyways, I would be more than thrilled to not be planning this on my own since I've been having some health problems this week (I'll be okay for Mysterium, I just don't need any extra stress), so any help is appreciated.

Without further ado, my random list of ideas (I'll post clarifications on it a bit later today, but I think the main website you're going to want to know is that Shakespeare is at www.independentshakespeare.com). I was told that we have to go to the beach one day, and do EDGE. I have a list of where we could go for EDGE and laser tag, but I need to dig it up. Neither place is really close to Santa Monica.

*****Friday: for those people who show up early

-Gather at the hotel
-There's a coffee shop on Pico and Urban St. not too far away that has live music from up-and-coming artists who don't have a name for themselves yet. Some of them are so-so, but some of them are good. That might be an option for Friday night.
-I was also thinking of getting a projector to watch "Shaun of the Dead" one night. If enough people are there, that could be on this night too.
-There's also an option of going to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (Shakespeare in the Park) that night if people are there by 6:30 pm (it's near Hollywood and starts at 7:30 pm).
-I was also thinking maybe I could track down a laser-tag place, but I don't know if they have reservations available (I need to track that down this weekend). This also might be an idea for Saturday night.

*****Saturday: for everyone else

-Beach and 3rd St. in the morning (Santa Monica area)
-Getty and LACMA and the tarpits during the early afternoon (museums)
-For those who want a different option, Six Flags/Magic Mountain or Disneyland could also be a possibility (it'll take maximum an hour to get to Six Flags/Magic Mountain, maximum two hours to get to Disneyland, allowing for traffic).
-At night there are two options: going to see the Hollywood area/movie, or going to see an outdoor Shakespeare play (Richard II - starts at 7:30 pm, also in the Hollywood area).
-If we were going to do a scavenger hunt, that's also a possibility for today, but I wasn't sure if I should plan one or not. If I did, I'd most likely do it on foot in some area like 3rd St. (there are enough cars and traffic in LA as it is...even in Santa Monica).
-Geocaching is also a possibility for those who want to do that instead, but Sunday afternoon might be a better day for that.
-Laser tag, if not on Friday.

*****Sunday: for everyone, and send-off

-Disc Golf/EDGE in the morning.
-If anyone wanted to go hiking in the area or geocaching, the afternoon would be a good day to do it. Griffith Park is not a good place to go right now because of the fires though.
-Amusement parks if anyone is staying later.
-And mostly just a send-off: saying goodbye to everyone.

*end of plan*

#4 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

If you all haven't done so already ... you should get in contact with Lord Chaos as he also lives in Santa Monica and is willing to help. You can find him over on the GoG forums. :P

#5 User is offline   Serephina 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

View PostVaaht, on Jul 17 2007, 10:16 AM, said:

So, I was unofficially asked by the Committee for help on the itinerary, but I'm working alone and I haven't gotten any feedback from them, nor have I planned an event before.

Also, I would love a planning session beforehand. : ) Did that mean you guys were willing to meet up the Thursday night beforehand?
*end of plan*

Thanks Vaaht for doing this! :P

I will be in Santa Monica Thursday night if all goes as planned, so a meet-up would be great. I am not familiar with the area but want to help out with plans.

*places I'd like to go*

-the beach
-The Getty Museum
-Shoom'lah's house
-hiking/outdoorsy stuff
-A movie night sounds fun (Pan's Labyrinth! or Shaun of the Dead)
-dancing perhaps (on a fountain ala Bevin style lol)

Ryan S Davis suggested dim sum and a few other things on the UO thread. UO Mysterium planning thread

#6 User is offline   woxel1 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

It frightens me to think we're so close to Mysterium and have no plan, but I've never been to one before so is this what it's like? :P

Anyway, I'm an Los Angeles native so I have some ideas. Actually, I wrote a whole guide some time back, so maybe there's sense in reposting (and updating) it here. I hope it's of some assistance - it wasn't written with Santa Monica in mind.

For those of you who have never been to Los Angeles, it may seem like an intimidating place, what with all the driving and the pollution and the celebrity murders and the race riots we seem to go through in our day-to-day lives. But I'm here to say, "thar's fun in those hills!" So come with me on a magical journey as you discover the oases of culture in the somewhat infertile wasteland that is Los Angeles...

"Welcome to the Desert, We Got Fun 'n' Games"
What do we people do for fun around here anyway? Here are some places you can go to for a "good time."

Japan Arcade - One of the last surviving arcades of note, and one devoted to Japanese arcade machines at that. The mall is no good, but it's close enough to Little Tokyo that you could easily plan an excursion downtown around it. I know I have.

Meltdown Comics & Collectables - If there is a better comic book store than this one I haven't found it yet. In short: it's big, the staff is knowledgeable and friendly, there is a broad selection of stuff, and... well... you just have to see it for yourself. Bring money.

The Groundlings - For more than 25 years Los Angelenos in "the know" have turned to this comedy show for laffs. Their current show, "Groundlings Yearbook," runs on Friday and Saturday night. Go with friends!

Giant Robot - These people have cornered the market on Asian culture and underground comix. A small but pleasant shoppe (with a sister store - GR2 - on the other side of the street) in the heart of Sawtelle, a largely Japanese neighborhood (and yes, that means a good video game import store and grocers are nearby).

The Farmer's Market and The Grove - Once upon a time there was only the Farmer's Market. Sweet, small, uncrowded. Then one day some people had the bright idea of building a mall over its gigantic parking lot. The Market is still there as it was, but now it has the Grove to contend with. I recommend visiting both, The Grove for its hilariously bizarre aesthetic, the Apple Store, its overpriced - but pretty nice - multiplex - the Crate and Barrel et-cetera, and The Farmer's Market for it's excellent offerings of food. I recommend The Gumbo Pot, Bobs Coffee and Doughnuts, and Light My Fire, Los Angeles' premier hot sauce vendor.

Third Street Promenade and The Santa Monica Pier - Only blocks away from (and in the case of the later, above) the ocean, these two attractions are not to be missed. The promenade is a protected series of blocks (which is to say, no cars can drive through it) that exists as a sort-of outdoor mall. In this respect it is not dissimilar to The Grove, but what it has - which The Grove truly lacks - is an abundant collection of homeless people! That's right, the homeless. Poor, destitute sons-of-guns. Will you make eye contact with them? Will you laugh when the one talking to himself starts harassing the pigeons? Don't forget to visit Puzzle Zoo, a smallish but impressive toy store! The pier is a cultural landmark of sorts. There's a fun little amusement park on it, a decent arcade, and it's right on the ocean and that in my opinion is always cool. Have a picnic on the beach and catch a sunset there.

"**** it Dude, Let's Go Bowling"
As American as presidential assassinations, bowling alleys are a necessary evil in your Los Angeles travels.

Jillians - Wacky bowling: blacklights and whatnot. In Universial Citywalk, adjacent to Universal Studios (which will be covered later).

Lucky Strike Lanes - In the heart of Hollywood. Be aware that it converts into a 21+ club after 7:00. Very clean - great food!

Pinz - Formally Sports Center Bowl, this quiet and unassuming bowling alley has been remodeled into a "hip" overpriced celebrity attracting mess. I hear the arcade's still good though.

"Museums: Where Fun Goes To Die"
There is no lack of art museums or art galleries in this fair city. Some of them are actually worth checking out!

The Museum of Jurassic Technology - A very wacky "meta" kind of museum. Difficult to describe, but impossible to forget.

MOCA - If you're looking for a modern art museum in Los Angeles, well, here's one. There's a Richard Tuttle exhibition going on right now. This museum is downtown so if you want to see art and go to Little Tokyo, you can!

"Food"
You need it to live. Here's where to go for a good meal.

Fred 62 - A 24 Hour Sort-Of Diner experience. Too hip for words, too delicious to pass up.

Canter's Deli - While I'm on the subject of 24 Hour restaurants... Canter's Deli will fill your cravings of corn beef and matzo ball soup. Good bakery too!

IN-N-OUT Burger - Damn, damn fine drive-through burgers and shakes. No more, no less (Bonus Tip: Check the bottom of your cups for biblical passages!).

Angeli Caffe - My personal favorite, located oh-so-convienently across the way from The Groundlings. Italian/Mediterranean cuisine.

Pink's Hot Dogs - For more than sixty years, Pink's has been jamming the arteries of celebrities and common folk alike. Sometimes the line goes around the block. All day.

Border Grill - If you're good for it, excellent south-of-the-border food awaits thee. Some of the best chips and dip in town!

The Griddle Cafe - While I'm on the subject of some of the best chips in town... If you go here (and I hope you do), you will most likely have to wait, but boy is it ever worth it. The two things you come for are the pancakes (check the menu!) and the chili (Chili My Soul chili no less). This restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch. Mysterious.

"Motion Picture Boxes & You"
How To Blow Your Weekly Allowance in Two Hours

Arclight Cinemas - Encompassing the famed Cinerama Dome, The Arclight is the most expensive, most ridiculous movie theatre I know of. But it's oh so comfortable and high-tech.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre - Probably the most famous movie theatre in the world. There's so much to see and do here... The theatre itself is great, but now it is surrounded by the Hollywood and Highland Mall, which contains various food and shopping treats. Also, really creepy people dress up in ratty homemade costumes of figures of popular culture and you can't miss that even if you tried! And it's really close to the next theatre which is...

The El Capitan - A Disney operated theatre which only shows one Disney movie at a time. Historic, expensive, Disney-fied. There's also a Studio Store/Soda Fountain right next door. Currently playing is Disney/Pixar's Ratatouille.

"Will you take us to Mt. Splashmore?"
You have access to a car, right? 'CAUSE WE ARE GOING TO SOME THEMEPARKS!!!1!

Disneyland - A themepark that truly needs no introduction. Disney's California Adventure's next door and there's a shopping complex (Downtown Disney) near both parks. If you've never been to D-Land, we do have some exclusive attractions including Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye and The Matterhorn. Also our versions of Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion walk all over WDW's. I'm not even joking. Furthermore, we have an outdoor version of the nighttime show Fantamsic! and a very neat fireworks show. California Adventure is... well, yeah.

Six Flags Magic Mountain - Sixteen roller coasters including Viper and Goliath. I'm almost positive that during the summer if you present a can of Coke with the purchase of a ticket you get another ticket, free! Don't quote me on that, though.

Knott's Berry Farm - The First Theme Park in America (though its original attraction was just fried chicken, albiet very good fried chicken that people used to line up for hours for and that's why they built the theme park and now you know). A small but cute attraction with a very good "woodie," GhostRider.

Universal Studio's Hollywood - More of an actual film studios than a themepark, but still a themepark nonetheless. If you've been to the one in Orlando there's probably not much here to see but there is the can't-miss studio tour where you'll see Universal's famous backlot. USH, like Disneyland, has Citywalk, a shopping/dining extravaganza. Citywalk also contains a sizable cineplex and as I've said, a bowling alley. Also, Universal exists in its own city, Universal City. Isn't that weird?

YARGH! I believe I've reached the end of this informative journey. I hope you've learned something about our fair city and its surrounding lands. We can't wait to have you, and have you, having fun! Ha ha ha ha ha!

I can't wait for Mysterium, whatever it is!

#7 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:374576

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

M@ & I will be arriving in L.A. sometime late Thursday, and we'll be leaving Monday, so we'd like to help w/any planning as well :P Plus there's a couple little Pseudo-Presentations I'd like to take care of when we'll have everyone in a group, so I'd like to know when we'll have everyone in a group :)

#8 User is offline   Nisan 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

View PostK, on Jul 17 2007, 04:45 PM, said:

M@ & I will be arriving in L.A. sometime late Thursday, and we'll be leaving Monday, so we'd like to help w/any planning as well :P Plus there's a couple little Pseudo-Presentations I'd like to take care of when we'll have everyone in a group, so I'd like to know when we'll have everyone in a group :)

Shoomlah's place Saturday night seems like a good place for little presentations and such. I don't know if we're reserving a conference room at the hotel, so that might be our only option for a gathering place.

#9 User is offline   justthetigger 

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

I'm willing to meet Thursday night to help finalize any plans for our fellow Mysterium guests. I live in Long Beach so I'm only like 30 minutes away for the Hotel. I work until about 5pm Thursday night and am off all day Friday and Saturday, but Not avaliable Sunday. So please let me know if you need help with the final plans. Give me a time as to meet at the Hotel and I will be there. I am also more then willing to Share my vehicle as a from of transportation for this weekends events.

#10 User is offline   Nisan 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

justthetigger said:

Give me a time as to meet at the Hotel and I will be there.

It sounds like a number of people will be in town Thursday night. What's a good time to meet? 8:00pm? When are you getting in, K'laamas?

#11 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

I did offer to Nisan that if a small group would like to travel out to Riverside (about an hour east) to see my entire collection I would welcome this ... but I need to know very soon. I still have no plans to actually come into the LA area this weekend though.

#12 User is offline   Vaaht 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

I can't post to the other forum, so I'm not going to try. If someone wants to copy and paste my message there, please feel free. I'm also going to send this message out to the lyst.

Since I'm in LA and will have a phone and internet, I can make updates to the itinerary online. But I'm figuring not everyone is going to be able to see them. So, in that case, please e-mail me at Posted Image if you would like my phone number to be able to call someone for updates on the itinerary, or if you would like additional information as to where people are, or if you are afraid of getting lost during Mysterium and would like to be able to call someone in case that happens.

I'm agreeing with Nisan that I think 8 pm on Thursday sounds like an excellent time to meet to discuss plans. Meet at the hotel.

As an unofficial time, we are going to say to meet at the hotel at noon on Friday, for those arriving Thursday and those arriving early on Friday.

Anyways...that's about it! See you guys there!

#13 User is offline   Lady Kira 

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

Shorah!

It's been ages since I've posted but just wanted to say that I'm also in LA and will be available Thursday evening (if needed), Saturday and Sunday. I also have a large car and can help with transportation. Friday I'm working until 4:30 and then I'm off to an HP release party in Montrose, so will not be available. (Unless you all decide that's when you're going to LaserTag in which case I will be leaving work early to join you!!!) :P

#14 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:374576

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

I've organized all the activities people have suggested, plus a few more, w/addresses, phone numbers, hours, & admission prices. Just getting all our options together :P Feel free to suggest more!

--------------------------------------------------
LA Activities:

1- Hotels & Meeting Places
2- Amusement Parks
3- EDGE Disc Golf Courses
4- Gardens
5- Laser Tag Arenas
6- Musems
7- Other

1- HOTELS & MEETING PLACES:

Comfort Inn--Official Mysterium Hotel
--Address: 2815 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404
--Phone#: Phone: (310) 828-5517
--Fax: (310) 829-6084

Days Inn
--Address: 3007 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA, 90404
--Phone: (310) 829-6333
--Fax: (310) 829-1983

Shoom'lah's House
--Address: 4984 Topanga Canyon Blvd, Woodland Hills, CA 91364
20 miles North-West of the Comfort Inn

2- AMUSEMENT PARKS:

Disneyland
--Address: 1313 Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802
40 Miles South-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (714) 781-7290
--Hours: 8:00 AM to 12:00 Midnight
--Admission: $63 Single-Day Park Ticket (Ages 10+)
$83 1-Day Park-Hopper (Both Disneyland & California Adventure) Ticket (Ages 10+)

Disney's California Adventure, Anaheim, CA 92802
--Address: 1313 Harbor Blvd
40 Miles South-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (714) 781-7290
--Hours: 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
--Admission: $63 Single-Day Park Ticket (Ages 10+)
$83 1-Day Park-Hopper (Both Disneyland & California Adventure) Ticket (Ages 10+)

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor--Water Park
--Address: 26101 Magic Mountain Parkway, Valencia, CA 91355
32 Miles North of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (661) 255-4527
--Hours: 10:30 AM to 7:00 PM
--Admission: $30 per Person ($15 Parking)

Six Flags Magic Mountain--Roller Coaster Park
--Address: 26101 Magic Mountain Parkway, Valencia, CA 91355
32 Miles North of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (661) 255-4100
--Hours: 10:30 AM to 10:00 PM
--Admission: $59 per Person ($15 Parking)

Universal Studios
--Address: 100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, CA 91608
18 Miles North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: 1-800-UNIVERSAL
--Hours: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
--Admission: $61 per Person

3- EDGE DISC GOLF COURSES:

El Dorado Park Golf Course
--Address: 2400 North Studebaker Road, Long Beach, California 90815
33 Miles South-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (562) 430-5411

La Mirada Regional Park
--Address: 13701 Adelfa Drive, La Mirada, California 90637
34 Miles East-by-South-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (800) 404-5888

Hahamonga Watershed Park/Project
--Address: Oak Grove Drive & Foothill Blvd, Pasadena, California 91109
30 Miles North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (626) 744-7275

Whittier Narrows Park
--Address: 1600 North Rosemead Blvd, South El Monte, California 91733
26 Miles East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (626) 575-5526

4- GARDENS:

Descanso Gardens
--Address: 1418 Descanso Drive, La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
27 Miles North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (818) 949-4200
--Hours: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
--Admission: $7 General, $5 Students/Seniors, $2 Children 5-12

Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
--Address: 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA 91108
25 Miles North-by-North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (626) 405-2100
--Hours: 10:30 AM to 4:30 PM
--Admission: $11 per person for groups of 15 or more
$15 Adults, $10 Students (w/ID), $6 Youth (Ages 5-11),
$12 Seniors (65+), Free for children under 5

5- LASER TAG ARENAS:

Laser Storm
--Address: 22501 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA 90505
19 Miles South-by-South-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (310) 378-2265
--Hours: 3-9 (Mon-Wed), 3-10 (Thurs), 3-11 (Fri), 10 AM to 11 PM (Sat), 10 AM to 8 PM (Sun)
--Admission: $4.50 per game (Mon-Fri), $5.50 per game (Sat & Sun)

LazerStar (Camarillo)
--Address: 1755 East Daily Dr, Camarillo, CA 93010
47 Miles North-by-North-West of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (805) 388-0074
--Hours: Noon to 10 (Mon-Thurs), 12-12 (Fri), 10 AM to Midnight (Sat), 10-10 (Sun)
--Admission: $7 per game ($6.50 per game for 12+ people, $6 per game for 20+ people)

LazerStar (Glendora)
--Address: 1365 South Grand Avenue, Glendora, CA 91740
41 Miles East-by-North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (626) 963-9444
--Hours: 3-10 PM (Mon-Thurs), 12-12 (Fri), 10 AM to Midnight (Sat), 10-10 (Sun)
--Admission: $7 per game ($6.50 per game for 12+ people, $6 per game for 20+ people)

Ultrazone (Alhambra)
--Address: 231 East Main Street, Alhambra, CA 91801
25 Miles East-by-North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (626) 282-6278
--Hours: 3-10 PM (Tues-Thurs), 3 PM to Midnight (Fri), 10 AM to Midnight (Sat), 10-10 (Sun)
--Admission: $8 per game ($6 per game if you buy 12 or more games at once)

Ultrazone (Sherman Oaks)
--Address: 14622 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
11 Miles North of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (818) 789-6620
--Hours: 3-10 PM (Tues-Thurs), 3 PM to Midnight (Fri), 10 AM to Midnight (Sat), 10-10 (Sun)
--Admission: $8 per game ($6 per game if you buy 12 or more games at once)

6- MUSEUMS:

Getty Museum
--Address: 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angelas, CA 90265
5 Miles North of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (310) 440-7300
--Hours: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Sun & Tues-Thurs), 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM (Fri & Sat)
--Admission: Free ($8 Parking)

Los Angelas County Museum of Art (LACMA)
--Address: 5905 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angelas, CA 90036
9 Miles East-by-North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (323) 857-6000
--Hours: Noon to 8 (Mon, Tues, & Thurs), Noon to 9 (Fri), 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM (Sat & Sun)
--Admission: $9 Adults, $5 Students (w/ID) & Seniors (62+ w/ID), Free (Under 18)

Natural History Museum
--Address: 900 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007
14 Miles East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (213) 763-3466
--Hours: 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM (Mon-Fri), 10:AM to 5:00 PM (Sat & Sun)
--Admission: $9 Adults; $6.50 Students (w/ID), Children (13-17), & Seniors (62+);
$2 Children (5-12); Free (Under 5)

Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits
--Address: 5801 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036
9 Miles East-by-North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (323) 934-7243
--Hours: 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM (Mon-Fri), 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Sat & Sun)
--Admission: $7 Adults; $4.50 Students (w/ID), Children (13-17), & Seniors (62+);
$2 Children (5-12); Free (Under 5)

7- OTHER:

Bradbury Building--"Steampunk" Landmark
--Address: 304 South Broadway, Los Angeles, CA
15 Miles East of the Comfort Inn

Chinatown

Grauman's Chinese Theater--Theater and "Forecourt of the Stars' Footprints"
--Address: 6925 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, CA
13 Miles North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (323) 464-8111 or (323) 461-3331

Griffith Observatory
--Address: 2800 East Observatory Ave, Los Angelas, CA 90027
22 Miles North-East of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (213) 473-0800

Santa Monica Pier

Vasquez Rocks--Popular Hiking Area along the San Andreas Fault
--Address: 10700 Escondido Canyon Rd, Agua Dulce, CA 91350
41 Miles North of the Comfort Inn
--Phone#: (661) 268-0840
--------------------------------------------------

#15 User is offline   Serephina 

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

View PostCAGrayWolf, on Jul 18 2007, 12:00 PM, said:

I did offer to Nisan that if a small group would like to travel out to Riverside (about an hour east) to see my entire collection I would welcome this ... but I need to know very soon. I still have no plans to actually come into the LA area this weekend though.

I would be interested in this. Thank you for the offer.

#16 User is offline   Shoomlah 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

Okay, 8 on Thursday at the hotel sounds good- my cell is (818) 419-3963, for those who need to get in contact, and otherwise I'll see you there.

It's nice to finally see people participating, so I feel adequately revved up. There's a lot of stuff listed here for us to consider, so here's hoping we can consolidate tomorrow night and make this a little more accessible. Trying to do Disneyland on a whim for part of a day, for instance, is a bit much (especially considering potential traffic) and the Getty and LACMA shouldn't necessarily be lumped together considering that they're a bit of a drive from one another.

Anyway, planning sounds like fun, I'm actually excited again, and I hope to see a bunch of you tomorrow night. Also, GIVE ME CELL NUMBERS. I FEED OFF OF CELL NUMBERS.

-C

#17 User is offline   justthetigger 

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

Ok 8pm works great for me as well. I have no problems with this time being that I get off of work at 5pm. The only problem I'm seeing is none of us have met, is there going to be an odvious place for us to meet at the hotel? Or should someone get there early and put up some kind of sign, Like "This way to Mysterium Meeting".

EDIT: IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT WE MEET AT THE HOTEL LOBBY AT 8PM AND THEN FROM THERE MAYBE WE CAN MOVE IT TO A LOCAL RESTAURANT OR FAST FOOD PLACE. I SUGGEST WE WAIT AT THE HOTEL LOBBY UNTIL ABOUT 8:30 TO ALLOW FOR EVERYONE WHO WILL MAKE IT TO MAKE IT, THEN MOVE TO THE NEW LOCATION.

#18 User is offline   Shoomlah 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

View Postjustthetigger, on Jul 18 2007, 08:13 PM, said:

Ok 8pm works great for me as well. I have no problems with this time being that I get off of work at 5pm. The only problem I'm seeing is none of us have met, is there going to be an odvious place for us to meet at the hotel? Or should someone get there early and put up some kind of sign, Like "This way to Mysterium Meeting".

EDIT: IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT WE MEET AT THE HOTEL LOBBY AT 8PM AND THEN FROM THERE MAYBE WE CAN MOVE IT TO A LOCAL RESTAURANT OR FAST FOOD PLACE. I SUGGEST WE WAIT AT THE HOTEL LOBBY UNTIL ABOUT 8:30 TO ALLOW FOR EVERYONE WHO WILL MAKE IT TO MAKE IT, THEN MOVE TO THE NEW LOCATION.

Oh, awesome, I was hoping we could move on to a restaurant for beverages and snacks and/or food or... Something. I'll try to show up a bit early with something obviously Mysty, if I can- either that or I'll occassionally shout "BRING ME THE RED PAGES" at random passersby.

-C

#19 User is offline   Vaaht 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

This is a last-minute travel reminder to those attending Mysterium that Supershuttle is an excellent cheap way to get from the airport to the hotel and back. Plan to bring around $20-30 for them (I'm not sure of the exact price, but it shouldn't be more than $30). They also accept credit cards.

To get from the airport to the hotel, just exit the baggage claim and look for the people in the blue shirts (there is one at every terminal). They should be across the first small street, but not the second major one. Walk up to one of them and tell them which hotel you are going to. They may not know the hotel name, so tell them you are heading to Santa Monica, the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd. and Harvard St. (before 26th St.) if you are staying in the main hotel. They should recognize the location.

To get from the hotel to the airport, you need to have your flight information and/or confirmation number. Call them at 1-800-BLUE-VAN a couple of days in advance to make travel arrangements. They will pick you up from the hotel a couple of hours before you flight leaves. This should give you plenty of time to get to the airport, but if for whatever reason you are concerned (in the event that someone has an international flight or something), ask them if you can be picked up early. They are usually happy to accomodate you.

See you at Mysterium!

(By the way, I cannot post this over to the UO forums, so can someone do it for me if they're paying attention?)

#20 User is offline   justthetigger 

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:20 AM

Ok as a tentative time for our tentative schedual of events we are planning on starting the day at 10am. For those of you who are coming in later, don't worry there is other things to be done. Someone will most likely be at the Confort Inn hotel at Noon Friday. We will be handing out the "suggested schedual" to those who are coming.

#21 User is offline   Vaaht 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:43 AM

(IMPORTANT: A separate post has included this message on the UO forums as well as the Lyst. CAGRAYWOLF, can we come visit your Myst collection on Sunday late afternoon/evening? Please contact Shoom'lah at the phone number listed to give her the information.)

The itinerary that we have (as drawn up by the attendees on this Thursday night by popular vote and with no input from the Mysterium Committee members) is as follows with a few brief notes/reminders first:

NOTE: Any and all deviations from the itinerary are welcome, but this is the main itinerary that the group will be following. If you are confused as to how to contact us, the front desk of the Comfort Inn has many people's contact info. Please sign in at the front desk by giving us your contact info (this is in case you get lost, or in case one of us needs to contact you). Also, we will be giving the front desk name-tag stickers and/or carrying them with us so that everyone can be less-confused as to who other people are. Please remember to pick one up and wear it! We will try to have extras for all three days as well.

The main contacts (and hosts) for this year's Mysterium are the locals of LA (which is specified on the contact sheet)! Shoom'lah and I (Vaaht) are two of the major local contacts. I do not know if I have permission to post the other local names, so I'm not going to at this time, but it is all on the information sheet. Feel free to contact any of them, not just Shoom'lah and Vaaht.

Just as a reminder, the hotel's information is:

Comfort Inn
2815 Santa Monica Blvd. , Santa Monica, CA, US, 90404
Phone: (310) 828-5517 Fax: (310) 829-6084

In addition, I will be making up several packets tonight with the locals' contact information, the itinerary, driving directions, and many of these reminders to pass out to people. Note that fewer packets will be made that include driving directions (to save paper/ink as this is all coming out of my pocket), so please only take the driving directions if you anticipate yourself driving!

A few reminders for this Mysterium:

-Bring cash! Parking is expensive in LA and you can expect to pay from $3-20 for parking depending on where it is. If everyone chips in, then this cost will be less for the driver.
-Due to parking constraints at the hotel, more than likely a LA local will be driving you around LA (face it, you don't want to deal with our traffic anyways), so please plan accordingly. So far we have 4-5 Locals who have cars and are willing to drive people places. Also, if you are in a hotel room at the main hotel which is carless, can you please offer to give a parking permit to one of them to ease parking for us? Parking surrounding the hotel is mainly metered and expensive and parking in the lot without a permit is likely to get us towed.
-Beware of LA parking! Do not park where it says "do not park", and pay attention to the street signs! Parking violations are a big money-maker for nearly all of the LA area, so they are strictly enforced! Take it from the locals that you do not want to get a parking ticket! They can cost $45 or more, and you may even be towed which will cost you over $100 to get your car back!
-Beware of jay-walking! Certain places in LA will ticket for jay-walking, and the tickets are more expensive than the parking tickets ($60 for one area that I know of). So don't do it!
-Let one of the locals know if you get lost, or need something, or even want to get another group together to go do something else that you are interested in.
-And the most important one of all, have fun! This is going to be an awesome Mysterium!

Without further ado: the Itinerary =D

Friday (July 20th)
10:00 AM – meet in the hotel lobby before heading off on the day's adventures.
10:30 – predicted time of departure for said adventures.
late morning until early evening- exploring Santa Monica (the Santa Monica Pier,
the beach, the 3rd St. Promenade, etc.), possible visit to the Museum of Jurassic Technology.
12:00 PM - Another group will be leaving from the hotel for lunch and/or more sight-seeing at this hour. If you get here later than this, please don't hesitate to call one of the locals and we will try to put you in touch with the group.
6:00 PM – head over to the Getty museum for a late night visit (one or two cars will stop by the hotel first to gather a few stragglers).
12:00 midnight – Harry Potter fans break off to pick up some book. You are free to enjoy the night to yourself, or if you would like a late-night tour of UCLA, I (Vaaht) am heading there to pick up my book at midnight, and I wouldn't mind leading a small group to the four major buildings on campus which are actually really pretty at night. We could also get there a bit early if people want.

-Other possible activities include: Unurban Cafe for local music, (free) Shakespeare in the Park of "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

Saturday (July 21st)
10:00 AM – meeting again in the lobby.
10:30 – heading out to start our day at Universal Studios.
3:00 PM– spend some time at Universal City Walk to relax and purchase oddities.
7:00 – meet at Shoom'lah's house for presentations, snacks, hanging out, and general shindiggery.

Sunday (July 22nd)
10:00 AM – meet in the lobby, consider morning game of EDGE.
11:00-12:00 PM– head downtown to visit the Bradbury Building, LACMA, the tar pits, and whatever else the city has to offer.
7:30 – if people are interested, (free) Shakespeare in the Park of "Richard II".
Evening – possible excursion to Riverside to check out CAgraywolf's Myst collection of epic proportions (only with his permission).

Once again, this should be an awesome Mysterium! We will continue to post updates throughout the weekend to keep the rest of you updated on our shenanigans. Please feel free to stop by Cyan Chat as well to say to some of the Mysteriumites. Saturday night, in particular, will be the night that most of us will probably drop in to say hi (ie: semi-official UnMysterium). See you guys at Mysterium! : )

#22 User is offline   woxel1 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

Great! I've re-posted this information at the Myst Online forums, along with some photos.

#23 User is offline   Vaaht 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:52 AM

I forgot to add that there is a second group that is splitting off from the Universal Studios group tomorrow to go see some gardens (The Huntington Library and Gardens, or the Descanso Gardens...to be decided tomorrow morning). So please feel free to join this group is you'd like a slower-paced Saturday!

: )

#24 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

View PostVaaht, on Jul 20 2007, 01:43 AM, said:

Evening – possible excursion to Riverside to check out CAgraywolf's Myst collection of epic proportions (only with his permission).

This is acceptable to me. Gives me a bit of time to get things is order. I have sent directions to Nisan in a PM and will call him this morning as well. I look forward to seeing you all. :P

#25 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:14 AM

Well the group that came out to see my collection just left about 20 minutes ago. They arrived just before 6pm ... and I started off by showing them my collection. Of course there was a lot to show them. :whistle: Around 10pm we left to go have dinner at Denny's as they were about the only place still open at that time. I had such a fantastic time and it was great seeing Nisan and Seph again as well as meeting IB and Pager along with Vaaht.

Anyway, it was just great having them all (you all) here and grateful to be able to invite you into my home. I've included the one picture I had my roomy take. I guess we really didn't think about taking pictures till just before we left for dinner, but we were all somewhat tired anyway. Was just a great time relaxing, great discussions and just hanging out.

Click to reveal hidden content
Posted Image

Left to Right: Ib w/ Vid, Pager, Serephina w/ RIUM+ , Vaaht and Nisan w/ Paradox

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users