MYSTcommunity: The Future of Mysterium - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

The Future of Mysterium

#1 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:01 AM

Dear Myst Community,

Due to the recent developments regarding the status of the Mysterium Committee, we've started to put together an initiative to reorganize the way Mysterium is planned in order to keep the tradition alive and well.

This is still in the very early planning stages. As we have more to report to you all, you are guaranteed to be the first to know. We will announce our new website around the community in the next couple of days.

We'd also like to thank all the past members of the Mysterium Committee for all of their hard work and dedication in planning past Mysteriums.

Signed,
Alahmnat, CAGrayWolf, TW, and Vaaht

#2 User is offline   ShadeJackrabbit 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

Okay. Sounds good to me?

Sorry, but I'm not really up-to-date on Mysterium. Still, as long as it keeps going, I'll probably be there one day.

#3 User is offline   linkerjpatrick 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

Chuck just poured his heart out on his blog about this very subject and I posted a comment so I won't repeat everything I said there. but I will summarize with what I think needs to be done;

1.) Committee organizers should be active community members and not just pop up when it time to plan the next event. I understand people are busy and I don't post here as much as I have in the past but it always made me feel odd they the committee organizers were not active in the online community.

2.) Please look into way to host in different areas. I live in the southern United States and contrary to the media we are not just rednecks, racists or cotton fields. People might be amazed at how many things here look like they are out of a Myst game.

3.) Maybe it's time to get past forums and embrace other social networks like Facebook and Microblogs like Twitter.

4.) Embrace the older members of the community - I'm 41 now, I feel 21 inside but one very minor reason I have not attended is I might feel out of place demographic wise plus I am married so to travel to Spokane would not be just one plane ticket but two as my wife would like to come along and our finances have been a little tight.

5.) Look into ways to make Mysterium available to more people than just the "superfans"

6.) I think they are some lessons to be learned from the "Zandi Spiral Hunt" both in a world-wide participation in varying degrees but also I think it reached out to more people and brought Myst styled games out of the computer and into the real world. Personally I would be just as or more excited exploring and solving puzzles in the real world with a Myst theme than playing games in a virtual setting.

7.) Perhaps Cyan could create a virtual Cyan Headquarters via a "special book" in Uru to attend virtual Mysteriums but within the Uru "story-line" as if D'ni were real and they were sharing their discoveries instead of "game creation". I sort of suggested this when I was an authorized explorer but not sure if they took me seriously or not but you have to admit the fans would love it and they could have all kind of fun with the "elevator", secret offices.

#4 User is offline   christopherger 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

I havent made one yet, but in fond hopes of doing so in the future, I do hope Mysterium continues and thrives....and as life allows I hope to be able to help in what ways I can. Pls keep us posted.

#5 User is offline   LaReh 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)
  • KI number:211837

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

It's all about geography and finances for me. I've got 3 kids in college and simply cannot afford plane trips out West. The past few Mysteriums have favored cities that are just too far away for me to afford to get to.

#6 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

I'd love to go... but I'm fifteen and my mom's not going to let me go to Spokane to stay overnight with a bunch of people I know only over the internet.

But I swear that I will make it someday. Just not now.

Might I suggest coming to Michigan sometime, perhaps Detroit? I could maybe make it there.

If you guys came to Grand Rapids, where I live, that'd just be cool, but there's not much in the way of attractions here, I'm afraid. Some good restaurants, though. :P

Alternatively, since this is a summer event, you could try Muskegon. There's this great amusement park called Michigan's Adventure there, and Muskegon is very close to the coastline, so you might be able to go to the beach as well. If you want to go into the UP, there's always Mackinaw Island and the Mackinaw Bridge - they make VERY GOOD fudge up that way. There's the Soo Locks in Sault Saint Marie, and there are several different lighthouses you can check out.

Just some ideas if you ever plan on going towards the Midwest.

#7 User is offline   River 

• River

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

:sigh:

That all 'Mysteriums' could be in every members backyard.

I must give appropriate 'Kudos' to the stalwart FEW members of the planning committee. I wager that bringing us all together is FAR from an easy task.

Let us be honest - a large majority of the members herein, who would LOVE to attend a 'Mysterium', are of an age younger than would be questionably permissible to let them travel "alone". Still another population is of an age where "work and life" contribute to a very limited possibility of their ever attending. - That leaves a precious small population which is All over it!

It is a daunting task at the very least. - Regardless of our personal (WHAT ABOUT ME) desires - the Mysterium planning committee truly RoXoRs!

PS: Keep up the good work!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users