MYSTcommunity: Mysterium - Coast-to-Coast Tour (multiple stops) - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Mysterium - Coast-to-Coast Tour (multiple stops) ?? Is this possible ??

#1 User is offline   InkFlare 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

How about doing a sort of coast-to-coast Mysterium, sort of like a traveling festival? Myst fans along the way could decide the details for the stops closest to them, which makes more sense than fans who are twenty miles from a meet-up point having no more say than those who are on the other side of the country.

I imagine a bus would have to be rented to haul electronics and other luggage and that sort of thing for those who chose to go the whole way, or a group of people might volunteer their vehicles to haul things. Depending on the preferences of fans, stops could last as long as desired and take place in widely varied environments - Some people might love the luxury of a fancy hotel and a high-tech meeting lounge, while others might want something like a huge open field with a bonfire and all sorts of Myst-influenced music and artwork, good food, etc. (I obviously like that idea).

I have yet to attend a Mysterium convention, but I think this would attract a whole lot more Myst fans because there would be something for everyone and it would actually be possible for more of them (myself included).

Is this idea at ALL practical? I hope so...

#2 User is offline   InkFlare 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:53 PM

How would computer presentations be possible way out in a field? Well, a small bank of batteries (and a generator that would only run to charge them) could power a projector and computer system, and a collapsible projection screen would be easy to transport. A small travel trailer could be devoted to such a thing, but it would be even easier (and cheaper) to just stuff everything into the back of someone’s vehicle. And with a few sturdy canopy tents, one could even work around a sudden rainfall.

I realize everything I just said is pretty expensive, but I imagine that a fundraiser could take care of most of what fans weren’t willing to loan for the tour.

#3 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:55 AM

I'm extremely reminded of a major discussion I had earlier this month. :twitch:

The reason why I don't like this idea (and similar ones) is that it defeats the purpose. The whole point of Mysterium is to be together with as many Myst fans as possible. Once you start to split it up, you in fact take away its true power. Instead, local fan communities should take it upon themselves to hold smaller gatherings alongside Mysterium. It really isn't all that difficult, and the label "Mysterium" is just that - a label. It doesn't make a gathering any more special. All that matters is the people that attend, and how well it's organized.

#4 User is offline   Tay 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:52 AM

Unless we know someone who's a bus driver, owns a bus, is willing to drive people around for a while, and there aren't any legal/saftey issues that would prevent it, renting a bus is very impractical. It's very expensive.

Also, that kind of trip sounds exhausting. Traveling every day, every couple days. It gets tiring and it's a lot longer trip then flying somewhere for a Mysterium weekend. Lots of people have work, families, and travel expenses. It's also a lot of wasted time traveling that could be spent with distant fans. If everyone arrives at the same place, around the same time, a few or so days can be well spent by everyone, with everyone, minimal time wasted traveling, and fairly fixed cost that people can plan for. You have a bed to sleep in every night, rooms, electricity, and local attractions nearby.

And even if everyone just uses cars... is everyone staying in a hotel each night? A different one every few days as the trip progresses? Traveling across country plus time spent doing stuff with fans will take a while. And it wouldn't be easy to hop on and go part way with everyone. How would you get back unless you went the whole way there and whole way back?

Wear and tear on cars and gas costs too.

On the surface and at a first glance, it sounds like it might be a cool idea, but it is not very practical. And when you think about it, a Mysterium weekend is really the best way to go about meeting with other myst fans.

Tay :twitch:

#5 User is offline   InkFlare 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

Well...when you say all of that it does sound quite impractical...

Of course, what I'm talking about is not an expensive trip - food, gas or a bus ticket, and a campground are my own traveling expenses. But I understand that most people would want a little more comfort than that.

It seems unfortunate to me that people dislike traveling so much. I've never really had a problem with it myself, especially bus travel (maybe you'll call me masochistic now), because you actually get a taste of humanity - you're not hidden inside your vehicle with your AC and radio, a million miles away from the rest of the world. In fact, during a five-hour layover period in the St. Louis Greyhound station just last week (600-mile trip = $49 plus $20 for food), I had such a colorful experience that I found myself finally stepping out of my writer's block. And Tay - THAT'S NOT TIME WASTED TRAVELING. I couldn't have done better by any other mode of travel. Except, perhaps, hitchhiking, but I'm a little nervous about that.

But I do see your point (both of you) and I agree that the convention ought to stay at a single location, not cut into little pieces.

Still...maybe I'll have to plan a (separate) traveling Myst festival...Yes...maybe I'll sketch something tonight and post it. If anyone's interested in that idea, please let me know and throw in any ideas you have.

#6 User is offline   mysteria13 

• Douchecanoe Sequestration Expert
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:48 PM

I guess the reason I'd like the idea (although really, it is rather impractical.) I live way out in Amherst, Mass and although I've just shortly found this community, from what I can tell all the Mysteriums have been...very, not near where I am. I'd love to go, really, really love to go, but I can't fork over the expenses to fly or drive to L.A. or equivalent.

Which is really unfortunate but hey, that's college. Could we plan for a more Eastern way Mysterium? Maybe in Philly?

#7 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:30 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Nov 14 2007, 06:48 PM, said:

I guess the reason I'd like the idea (although really, it is rather impractical.) I live way out in Amherst, Mass and although I've just shortly found this community, from what I can tell all the Mysteriums have been...very, not near where I am. I'd love to go, really, really love to go, but I can't fork over the expenses to fly or drive to L.A. or equivalent.

Although there has only been one Mysterium on the East Coast, they are certainly held in different parts of the US and all depend on which city received the highest amounts of votes. I'm more than positive that this year's Mysterium (2008) will undoubtedly be somewhere on the East Coast, as they are well over due for one. We should probably be hearing something soon from them requesting locations from the community ... so keep your eyes open for an announcement.

#8 User is offline   mysteria13 

• Douchecanoe Sequestration Expert
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

View PostCAGrayWolf, on Nov 15 2007, 04:30 PM, said:

I guess the reason I'd like the idea (although really, it is rather impractical.) I live We should probably be hearing something soon from them requesting locations from the community ... so keep your eyes open for an announcement.

Yay. :twitch:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users