MYSTcommunity: Laki'ahn: bug or secret shortcut? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Laki'ahn: bug or secret shortcut?

#1 User is offline   digitalin 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

Hey everybody, I just finished playing Myst V and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have a question regarding the 4th linking pedestal on Laki'ahn:

While playing that age (it was one of the first ones i played) I was poking around, looking at stuff, etc. I had already explored the entire Great Shaft and unlocked all the gates on Direbo and had visited all the ages and then started working through them as I saw fit. According to my save journal, I had already visited all the ages, solved Taigihira (ok, so my D'ni spelling is horrid) and most of Noloben when I decided to take a break and go back to Laki'ahn. (My brain doesn't always work linearly, which is why I like these games.)

So, then I link to Laki'ahn and notice that there is another link available on my pedestal. I click on this, find myself in an unexplored part of the age, and continue. After
Click to reveal hidden content
exploring a new half of the island, climbing a tree house, getting into a maze, exploring the arena, and opening the "jewelers door"
I realize that I'd been solving all the puzzles backwards because I had linked myself to the fourth pedestal on Laki'ahn, not the second one. In fact, the second pedestal was the last I found.

I only discovered this after searching the entire island and breaking down and reading some walkthroughs online.

So... I know people have run into difficulties with the program recognizing symbols when none were intended. But when I think about it, I have this feeling that I probably drew this symbol for the 4th pedestal because I found it elsewhere in the game. Of course, I can't remember where. I went back to look for it on Taghira and Noloben and can't find it anywhere.

So, my question is: Has anyone else found the 4th pedestal symbol for Laki'ahn anywhere else in Myst V?
it's the maze pedestal, in case i'm not being clear.
If so, where? And if not, then has anyone else "accidentally" drawn this symbol? This question is driving me crazy.

#2 User is offline   Lord Chaos 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

I don't remember seeing that symbol anywhere else. My guess is that you drew something that was close enough. I've read of this happening in all the Ages of M5. I never had that problem; my mis-drawings were simply ignored. :twitch:

#3 User is offline   ShadeJackrabbit 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

It looked like a deer antler or a tree to me...

#4 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:02 AM

Same thing happened to me in Tahgira. I drew the symbol for the second pedestal and ended up at the third pedestal (took me forever before I realized, ended up being thoroughly ticked off because my progress didn't match any walkthrough :twitch:). In all likelihood you drew a symbol and the engine thought "Hey! This looks like the last pedestal!" and put it on there even though it wasn't...

Which, while irritating, makes a bit of since; the engine does misinterpret drawings sometimes. I was impressed by its general understanding of my MS Paint-like drawings, but there is always room for error :blink:

#5 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

I managed to skip all the way to the end of Laki'ahn on accident. :twitch:

And EoA so disenchanted me that I never went back to replay that age... :blink: :blink:

#6 User is offline   holdyourlight 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

I know this is extremely old, but it's the second result on google "myst 5 lakiahn bug".

So I'm just here to say that I also encountered the bug (actually skipped through half of the age-which is not a bad thing at all regarding how bad Myst 5 is).

Apparently Bahros misinterpreted the symbol as the one on the other side of the labyrinth pedestal.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users