MYSTcommunity: More than a little bit lost - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

More than a little bit lost A few general pointers?

#1 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

Okay, here's the situation. I've done seemingly a lot in this game, but I've been stuck for quite some time now without any idea what to do next.

I have been to every island (I think), and been through the tunnel where the big circle with the stones is. I've accessed some of the domes and opened them. But the books don't seem to work. There is also one dome that I can see when I'm walking around the really big dome on the first island, but I have no idea how to get to it.

I've found four of the little balls with the numbers on them, and I assume there's a fifth one, but I can't find it.

So basically my big questions are:

How do I make the linking books work?
How do I solve the puzzle with the big rocks with the animals on them?
How do I get to the other dome?

Now, I don't want answers to these questions, I just want somebody to point me in the right direction so I can get started again. Any help?

#2 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:20 AM

I'll try not to spoil; mainly just nudge a little. I was stuck for a while at the same point you are.

You're not doing anything wrong with the linking books, you just don't have enough information at the point pf the game you're at to make them work.

Similarly, with the dome you haven't been able to reach; it's clear to me from your description that you haven't reached a certain area yet, and thus won't have had a chance to reach that dome.

Answer a couple of questions if you would.

1. You say you've found 4 of the little balls. What have you noticed about them? Any ideas as to their purpose?

2. One of the islands has a central lake, with a woodchipper and a boiler. What have you done and/or found on that island?

#3 User is offline   Lord Chaos 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

In addition to Vexis' comments, I recommend slowing down. Riven is complex. You need to take your time to let the ambiance soak in. One place to start is to read Gehn's journals again; you should have seen these if you've been to every island. If you haven't seen them yet, you need to.

#4 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

Have you been to all the islands you can reach yet?

If yes, can you recall what you did on this island with the really bright cyan lake in the center of it?

If yes, did you go back to the first island after doing everything you could there?

If yes, have you lost and found your marbles yet? Are they in the right position?

Slow down a bit. Take a rest. Let your mind puzzle it out later - sleep on it! :twitch:

#5 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:03 PM

"Vexis Larseker" said:

1. You say you've found 4 of the little balls. What have you noticed about them? Any ideas as to their purpose?

Well, I noticed that they make sounds when you roll them, so presumably I'm trying to identify the sounds. I recognized one of them as being the little flying insects, and another one seems to be the aquatic dinosaurs you see on the rock. The other two I'm not sure about.

I think they may have something to do with the circle of stones with the drawings on them, but that's just a guess.

2. One of the islands has a central lake, with a woodchipper and a boiler. What have you done and/or found on that island?

Well, I made it to the building on top of the cliff (via the tunnel in the boiler), and I discovered the dome inside that building, plus the bridge to Gehn's lab. Which brings up another thing: I can't figure out what the colander thing that you lower down with the pebbles is for.

Mystress said:

Have you been to all the islands you can reach yet?

I have.

If yes, can you recall what you did on this island with the really bright cyan lake in the center of it?

If yes, did you go back to the first island after doing everything you could there?

I'll have to go back and check. It's been a while.

If yes, have you lost and found your marbles yet? Are they in the right position?

I haven't found any marbles at all, actually.

#6 User is offline   Lord Chaos 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:12 AM

On Question 1, you're headed in the right direction.

On Question 2, play around with the "colander" gadget. Be sure to pay attention to sounds.

Have you visited Gehn's lab yet?

#7 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

This is difficult; I don’t want to give too much away (unless you’re fed up and are ready to be spoiled) but will just try to suggest where you might want to focus your efforts.

View Postxqzme_12_11, on Oct 30 2007, 11:03 PM, said:

Well, I noticed that they make sounds when you roll them, so presumably I'm trying to identify the sounds. I recognized one of them as being the little flying insects, and another one seems to be the aquatic dinosaurs you see on the rock. The other two I'm not sure about.

I think they may have something to do with the circle of stones with the drawings on them, but that's just a guess.

Your supposition is very logical.

xqzme_12_11 said:

Well, I made it to the building on top of the cliff (via the tunnel in the boiler), and I discovered the dome inside that building, plus the bridge to Gehn's lab. Which brings up another thing: I can't figure out what the colander thing that you lower down with the pebbles is for.

Ah, good, it took me forever to find the passages behind the door that led to Gehn’s lab and the dome, so you’re doing well there. Have you been inside Gehn’s lab? If not, you need to try; for if you’ve been able to reach the exterior of the lab, then you can also reach the interior at this point in the game.

As far as the colander goes, what have you tried with the pebbles? Any other observations?

Entering the lab and solving the colander mystery are both tasks you should be able to accomplish right now, and can be solved locally, i.e. they don’t require you to go to the other islands.

One other question: the island you originally arrive on has a giant golden dome. Have you been able to reach the inside?

#8 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

"Vexis Larseker" said:

Ah, good, it took me forever to find the passages behind the door that led to Gehn’s lab and the dome, so you’re doing well there. Have you been inside Gehn’s lab? If not, you need to try; for if you’ve been able to reach the exterior of the lab, then you can also reach the interior at this point in the game.

It took me a good bit to find those passages, too. :twitch:

Yes, I've been inside the lab and read the journal and also fiddled around with all the little things on the tables.

As far as the colander goes, what have you tried with the pebbles? Any other observations?

Well, I tried sending the colander down open without a pebble, closed without a pebble, open with a pebble, and closed with a pebble. Nothing seemed to happen but I'll go back and give it another shot and focus on sounds, as Lord Chaos suggested.

One other question: the island you originally arrive on has a giant golden dome. Have you been able to reach the inside?

Yes, I have.

I've noticed that solving a single puzzle or finding a single thing generally leads to discovering a lot more (like in finding the passageways behind the doors). Is this the case with the colander puzzle?

#9 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:58 PM

View Postxqzme_12_11, on Oct 31 2007, 09:11 PM, said:

Yes, I've been inside the lab and read the journal and also fiddled around with all the little things on the tables.

Oh, so one of the 4 balls you've found was the one in the lab? Where were the other three you found?

xqzme_12_11 said:

Well, I tried sending the colander down open without a pebble, closed without a pebble, open with a pebble, and closed with a pebble. Nothing seemed to happen but I'll go back and give it another shot and focus on sounds, as Lord Chaos suggested.

Well, one of those is probably right. If you are able to determine what the colander is for, you'll understand which and why you might not immediately get a response.

xqzme_12_11 said:

I've noticed that solving a single puzzle or finding a single thing generally leads to discovering a lot more (like in finding the passageways behind the doors). Is this the case with the colander puzzle?

It should help clarify a theory of yours - it was one of the big a-ha moments for me.

#10 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:28 PM

"Vexis Larseker" said:

Oh, so one of the 4 balls you've found was the one in the lab? Where were the other three you found?

No, I wasn't including that one because it seemed to be a duplicate of the one under the rock in the bay.

The four I found were: the one in the rock right when you reach the second island, the one in the bay, the one in the little pool, and the one under the sword in the garden.

It should help clarify a theory of yours - it was one of the big a-ha moments for me.

Okay then, I'll give it another whirl!

#11 User is offline   Lord Chaos 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

Perhaps calling that thing a "colander" isn't the best route to understanding it. What else does it suggest?

And remember what I wrote a while back about taking your time with Riven...

#12 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

My last hint might have confused you a bit - I was trying to be subtle and nudge you in the right direction, as I didn't know exactly how much of a spoiler you wanted. Here's some more obvious hints.

For the missing fifth ball, Gehn removed it from its spot in the bay. You can find it in his lab - the only problem is, it's locked. So, you'll have to find another way in... Feel up to a mission, 007?

If and when you find the way inside, read everything - there's a journal in there on one of the desks that will give you many a hint to many a puzzle.

As for powering the books:

1:
Click to reveal hidden content
Remember the big golden dome? You've been inside... but have you been on top?

2:
Do you like waffles? There's something that looks like a waffle-iron up there...

3:
If you look closely, you'll find something small, round, and colorful - five or six of them, to be precise.

4:
There is a fifth island that you haven't been to yet - for that, you have to power the books. The 'waffle iron' at the top of the big golden dome can help with that.

5:
Did you play with the map on Survey Island yet? If you did, think back to that. If not - go do it! It's on the top level.

#13 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

So the one in the lab is the fifth one? I guess I always just assumed it was duplicate.

#14 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

View Postxqzme_12_11, on Nov 1 2007, 04:54 PM, said:

So the one in the lab is the fifth one? I guess I always just assumed it was duplicate.

Check the symbols again.

#15 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, I see know that it's different.

So here's the current situation. I figured out the trap puzzle and pulled up the frog. :twitch: Plus, I noticed that Mystress mentioned getting on top of the big dome. And once I thought along those lines, figuring out how was pretty easy.

Now, I also noticed that at least two of the balls seem to actually be eyes on the model of a creature. The one in the pool looks like the beetle when you fill it with water, and the one in the bay looks like some sort of whale or something. So, thinking that four of the five stones I needed were the beetle, the frog, the dinosaur, and the whale, I went ahead and pushed those four down. I then tried every other stone and nothing happened. So I'm still a little confused, 'cause I don't know how to figure out what the fifth one represents since it doesn't really make any noise. Plus, the one in the bay sounds like those towers with the spinning antennae, but I don't see any stone that looks like them.

As for the puzzle on top of the dome, is that the infamous fire marble puzzle I hear everyone speak of?

#16 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

View Postxqzme_12_11, on Nov 2 2007, 12:15 AM, said:

Now, I also noticed that at least two of the balls seem to actually be eyes on the model of a creature. The one in the pool looks like the beetle when you fill it with water, and the one in the bay looks like some sort of whale or something. So, thinking that four of the five stones I needed were the beetle, the frog, the dinosaur, and the whale, I went ahead and pushed those four down. I then tried every other stone and nothing happened. So I'm still a little confused, 'cause I don't know how to figure out what the fifth one represents since it doesn't really make any noise. Plus, the one in the bay sounds like those towers with the spinning antennae, but I don't see any stone that looks like them.

You're getting very close. I don't know if you want any more hints at this point, but below are a couple.

1. You've missed a clue with regards to the fifth ball. It's a very subtle clue, and I missed it also when playing. I had a theory about which one it might be, went ahead and tried every possibility, and had my theory proven correct. Slight hint there.
2. I think you might have figured it out already, but there's a reason the symbols are on the balls. And be careful not to confuse two of them.
3. Some of the animals have more than one stone corresponding to them (the shape of the animal is different though). In this case, there is usually a clue as to which is right, but you might have missed it. Just be aware of it.

xqzme_12_11 said:

As for the puzzle on top of the dome, is that the infamous fire marble puzzle I hear everyone speak of?

Yes. :twitch:

#17 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

Okay, I'm thinking that since they're numbered, I should push them down in order. I had already considered that, but I don't know if the whale-type stone would be the first or the fifth. I'm also thinking that I should push down the stone that looks like the beetle while flying, since that's the sound the ball makes.

I'm still somewhat confused, but I'll give it another go.

#18 User is offline   Koena 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:37 AM

You got the idea... watch for the numbers. Since it's 90% certain you missed one of them, try to remember which animals you have seen, try to find which number you miss in your list, and try to find it on the stones

#19 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

I finally gave up and looked at UHS to find out what the first animal is. I don't think I would have found it. At least I managed to figure out what the other four were.

Oh, and I also found the path to the other dome I couldn't reach (without hints :blink:). Thanks for the help, everyone. :twitch:

#20 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

You are quite welcome! :twitch:

#21 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:25 AM

View Postxqzme_12_11, on Nov 5 2007, 06:28 PM, said:

I finally gave up and looked at UHS to find out what the first animal is. I don't think I would have found it.

I had the same problem. I thought of the fish originally because the ball was found in the water, but when I tried it, I didn't have a couple of the other animal symbols right. When I solved it, I knew what the second, fourth and fifth ymbols were, had it narrowed down to one of two symbols for the frog (three) and had no clue on the first. This left approximately 50 combinations,which I proceeded to brute force through until I found the right one.

It's definitely a tough puzzle...

#22 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:46 PM

w00t!!

I solved the fire marble puzzle, with no help! 8)

#23 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

VICTORY!! I finished the game. :twitch: The portal code really made me laugh, because I spent a good hour or two just staring at the screen and clicking, finally giving up. Then all of a sudden the light went on. :blink:

#24 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:01 PM

Great job! ^_^

Are you planning on going on to the next game? If you've already played Myst, I'd suggest going on to Myst III: Exile.

#25 User is offline   xqzme_12_11 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

View PostMystress, on Nov 6 2007, 10:01 PM, said:

Great job! ^_^

Are you planning on going on to the next game? If you've already played Myst, I'd suggest going on to Myst III: Exile.

Definitely. I have the 10th Anniv. pack, so I have the first three. I'll probably start Exile tomorrow.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users