MYSTcommunity: Trouble Installing Myst 4 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Trouble Installing Myst 4 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

#1 User is offline   adammash 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hi there. I'm using a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.1 (Leopard). Just bought Myst 4. Began the installation process... dragged the Setup icon onto my desktop, ran the Setup from Disc 1 to begin installation, inserted Disk 2 when asked, completed Installation. However, once completed and I click Finish, nothing happens, and I not sure how to launch the game. No launch icon appears, and i have re-inserted the discs numerous times, yet nothing has happened. How do I launch the game once I've completed installation? Did i not install the game properly? Do I have to change my settings? Help!

Thanks!!

#2 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:28 AM

Open Macintosh HD, then in your Applications folder, look for another folder called Ubisoft. Open it, and there might be another folder in there (I forget, sorry). If there is, open it, and find "myst4". Double-click it to launch. You may drag this icon to your Dock for easy launching next time you wish to play. Enjoy your game!

By the way, you need to have DVD 2 inserted in the drive in order to play.

#3 User is offline   adammash 

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. You know, Im not currently on my mac, but I remember checking for that folder and not finding it. I also did a spotlight search for "myst" and "myst4" and "mystIV", and nothing of the sort came up. Any other suggestions?

View PostZangieF, on Nov 28 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

Open Macintosh HD, then in your Applications folder, look for another folder called Ubisoft. Open it, and there might be another folder in there (I forget, sorry). If there is, open it, and find "myst4". Double-click it to launch. You may drag this icon to your Dock for easy launching next time you wish to play. Enjoy your game!

By the way, you need to have DVD 2 inserted in the drive in order to play.

#4 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

You might've installed it incorrectly, try installing again. My sister and I use Leopard and update regularly, we can run it just fine.

#5 User is offline   adammash 

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Can you confirm the file and directory I need to locate to launch the game? Is it located on Disc 2, or on my hard drive? Thx.

View PostZangieF, on Nov 28 2007, 01:57 PM, said:

You might've installed it incorrectly, try installing again. My sister and I use Leopard and update regularly, we can run it just fine.

#6 User is offline   refrain02 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

Worked like a charm!!!!!!!

After you have installed both disks, and with the second disk still in the Mac...
Double click Myst4 icon (nothing happens)
Go to File -->Choose "Get Info" and open the bottom arrow and set all users to Read/Write
Open Terminal (if you don't know where it is, go to HD and search for "Terminal")
Type: cd_ (that's "cd" followed by a space, no quotes)
Drag the Myst4 icon into the Terminal window, which will give you the path to the app
Press return.
Type the magic line: chmod a+x Myst4
Press return, quit Terminal.
Double click on Myst4 icon
Thank the skies above!

#7 User is offline   Hushkey 

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

View Postrefrain02, on Nov 28 2007, 05:42 PM, said:

After you have installed both disks, and with the second disk still in the Mac...
Go to File -->Choose "Get Info" and open the bottom arrow and set all users to Read/Write
Open Terminal (if you don't know where it is, go to HD and search for "Terminal")
Drag the Myst4 icon into the Terminal window, which will give you the path to the app
Press return.
Thank the skies above!

Thanks a bunch, Refrain02. i had the same problem of no response after clicking the icon. I followed your instructions verbatim and now it works great.

#8 User is offline   sled_tx 

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:40 AM

View Postrefrain02, on Nov 28 2007, 04:42 PM, said:

Press return.
Thank the skies above!

I have followed these steps and the application is still not running. Any more tricks? Any logs I can look up? Please help.

#9 User is offline   sled_tx 

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

FIXED IT. I was following the process before, but logged in as a USER. Once I logged in as an ADMIN, IT WORKED.

MUCH THANKS

#10 User is offline   scmac 

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

chmod a+x or a=x?

#11 User is offline   yosamite 

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

I tried those terminal steps and nothing happened for me. I was logged in as admin and this was just after a fresh install. Any help would be appreciated

here what it says in terminal:

Last login: Wed Jul 2 14:09:38 on ttys000
mains-mac-pro:~ samuel$ cd_/Ubisoft/MystIV/myst4.app
-bash: cd_/Ubisoft/MystIV/myst4.app: No such file or directory
mains-mac-pro:~ samuel$ chmod a+x Myst4
chmod: Myst4: No such file or directory
mains-mac-pro:~ samuel$

thanks

#12 User is offline   Fireymarbles 

• Who says you're free?
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:34 AM

If you carefully read the steps, you'll see that the underscore is meant to be replaced by a space- it was only posted as an underscore here to make it obvious that there was something between the cd and the rest of the command.

So instead of "cd_/Ubisoft/MystIV/myst4.app", it should read "cd /Ubisoft/MystIV/myst4.app".

Although in fact, reading that list of terminal commands, I'm surprised that it works at all... oh well, it's worked for other people, and in any case I'm running Windows right now so I don't have a terminal to test it...

#13 User is offline   yosamite 

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

Alright thanks, I'll give it a try

#14 User is offline   Grizzlebixx 

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

Actually if you read the system requirements on the game box, it specifies 'Supported OS: OS X.2, X.3 (only)'
I have the same problem with my new Macbook Pro. The game does not support OS X.4 or X.5. I'm surprised that
some seem to have it running. I'll have to give this a try.

Wow. I have to admit, I'm always leery about tinkering with the terminal app. But this did work perfectly. thanks for the tip.

#15 User is offline   Fireymarbles 

• Who says you're free?

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

View PostGrizzlebixx, on Jul 20 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

Actually if you read the system requirements on the game box, it specifies 'Supported OS: OS X.2, X.3 (only)'

That is because the game was released before 10.4 came out, so they obviously couldn't put 10.4 or 10.5 on the box. The game may not officially support 10.4 or 10.5, but there is no reason that it shouldn't run on them just as well as on 10.2 or 10.3. In my experience, if something was developed to run on any given version of OS X, it will almost always run flawlessly on at least two versions newer than that version. In fact, I can't remember ever finding a single program developed for any version of OS X that wouldn't run on any other version due to it being too new. Apple are fairly good at making their OSes backward compatible. :D

But yeah, do try the permissions thing, and post back here if it doesn't work. You should most definitely be able to run this game on 10.5, so don't give up. :saavy:

#16 User is offline   Cybernetic Organism 

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

I'm having all the same problems. I followed the steps listed above (involving the terminal and all that), but I couldn't change the users to read/write, so I skipped that step see if it would work anyways, and when I finished I clicked on the icon and I got a "this application quit unexpectedly". Hitting relaunch only gives me the same response.

Someone mentioning switching to admin, how do I do that? I logged out, but the only user available to log in as is myself.

#17 User is offline   Fireymarbles 

• Who says you're free?

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

If the only user available as you, that probably means that your user is an admin. However, the reason I was surprised that the above command line code worked was because I would have expected that being logged in as an admin wouldn't be enough- I would suggest elevating your privileges by using the "sudo" command.

Do this by putting "sudo" in front of the privileged command you're trying to execute- in this case, chmod:
sudo chmod a+x Myst4

You will be prompted to enter your password. Enter it, and hopefully things will work a bit better. Give that a try and tell me how it goes. :saavy:

#18 User is offline   scoobynmu 

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

THANKS!!! I did everything you said and it worked like a charm! I have had Myst IV for many years but didn't have the correct video card on my pc. . . Then I got a new mac and was so excited to get to play but then it wouldn't work, so again thanks!!! :saavy:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users