MYSTcommunity: Animal puzzle - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Animal puzzle ha?

#1 User is offline   pineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:28 AM

first stone is fish, how were you supposed to associate that with eye in gehn's office? when you click the eye it rolls on desk making noise you would expect from something rolling and how is that supposed to be a fish?

also, other animal sounds are ambigeous as well, they could be those animals but they could be any other animal as well e.g. the frog sounds more like a bird!

or is there something more concrete in islands that helps us solve this puzzle???!

:twitch: p.s. yes i cheated! but want to know how it was supposed to be done!

#2 User is offline   bluewyvern 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

IIRC (it's been a while, and I don't have quite the memory for gameplay details that many of my fellows here do :blink:) the fish isn't supposed to make a noise -- fish are generally pretty quiet creatures. I think the sound of the eye rolling was just the sound of the eye rolling.

As for the others, yes, they're pretty unfamiliar sounds -- you're not supposed to hear it and immediately identify it ("Ah! A sunner!") the same way you would for a well-known Earth animal ("Ah! An elephant!") -- you're supposed to learn to associate the sounds based on your encounters with and observations of the animals in the environment. ("Ah! That's the same noise I saw that strange creature on the other island making!") You do have an opportunity to see and hear every one, with the exception of the fish. (You even see them, too, hanging up in a string to dry. Very silently.) It's a whole recognition/discovery thing.

Sorry you missed out on piecing these together yourself, but I hope you still had fun in Riven. :twitch:

#3 User is offline   Lurker Underground 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00417445

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

Also, most of the eyes have visual clues associated to them as well.
Click to reveal hidden content

#1: I think you can see the eye currently floating in the lake from Gehn's throne on Survey. If you do, the rocks behind it (and their reflection in the water) form an outline in the shape of a fish.
#2: If you turn the handle the pool fills with water in the shape of a beetle.
#3: If you go up the stairs and turn around, the rocks form an outline in the shape of an ytram.
#5: When you stand near the eye the rocks form a whark-like shape.

-LU

#4 User is offline   aurora 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

Also, to add for what Lurker said:

About the "fish" - Gehn's letter mentions that it was found in the lagoon. For every eye, as Lurker said, you have a visual hint as well, so it figures that there would be a visual hint for the "silent" eye as well - next to the lagoon. using the telescope reveals that!

#5 User is offline   Lurker Underground 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

I wasn't aware that eye #4 had a visual hint. What am I missing?

-LU

#6 User is offline   aurora 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:10 AM

Lurker:
That's the eye of the frog, right? behind it should be stairs leading to the lengthy cave... Go one or two steps up these stairs, and look back, to the direction of the eye. You'll see a very sharp shape of an animal (frog), with the eye right in the eye position of it.
Btw, all eyes have visual hints, and all visual hints are the same animals related to the eyes, with the eyes standing right in the position of the real eye of the animal.
What a beautiful concept! It's so fitting that the rebels would use eyes and nature to attract villigers to join them.... quiet and powerful.

#7 User is offline   Lurker Underground 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

aurora:
No, #4 is the eye of the Sunner in the forest. I'm not aware of any visual hint for it.

-LU

#8 User is offline   aurora 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

Ah, sorry, you're right! My bad :twitch:
I'm not aware of it as well!

#9 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

Lurker Underground, on Dec 18 2007, 04:39 PM, said:

aurora:
No, #4 is the eye of the Sunner in the forest. I'm not aware of any visual hint for it.

-LU

Aren't "they" the visual hint?

#10 User is offline   Lurker Underground 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

CAGrayWolf:
All the other "visual hints" have the wooden eye in the place where a real eye would be. The sunners are some distance away from the corresponding wooden eye. Actually, they're right next to the Whark eye (#5), which greatly confused me when I was trying to puzzle out which animal was fifth. The closest animal to the Sunner eye (#4) is actually the beetle on the forest gate.

-LU

#11 User is offline   pineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:16 AM

bluewyvern, on Dec 16 2007, 02:19 AM, said:

with the exception of the fish. (You even see them, too, hanging up in a string to dry. Very silently.)

bluewyvern, wat did you mean by that? see them where?

Lurker Underground, on Dec 16 2007, 05:59 AM, said:

#1: I think you can see the eye currently floating in the lake from Gehn's throne on Survey. If you do, the rocks behind it (and their reflection in the water) form an outline in the shape of a fish.

#3: If you go up the stairs and turn around, the rocks form an outline in the shape of an ytram.

-LU

Lurker Underground, where's ghen's throne and what is "survey"?

and wat's a "ytram" and where are those rocks you're talking about?

well guys,

thanks for all your replys... you're very observant!!!! and all those little details make me appreciate the game more!

:twitch:

#12 User is offline   aurora 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:33 AM

lol, pineapple:
about the fish, I think lurker meant the fish that are hung on the outskirts of the village. I never noticed that aswell, but ok... :twitch:

Gehn's "throne" is on the "mapping" island (reffered to as survey island), in which you get the positions of the domes on Riven. if you go underground, you get to this huge underwater room with a chair on it's edge - that's where you learn of the color system. In that same chair, you can activate the lagoon (that's the lake next to the village) periscope - that's a device installed by Gehn to track and follow the villager's actions.
So, one of the buttons there activates it, and you can look through the periscope, and turn it around 360 deg. in one position, if you look towards the cave there, you'll see the cave and it's reflection on the water - it forms the shape of the fish, related to the eye found on Gehn's table.
It may seem very far fetched, but it's really not: Every eye (besides one) has a visual reference that is located in the immidiate area of the eye itself, and the eye is actually the eye of the creature in that visual reference.
Since the eye on Gehn's table was found in the lagoon (he mentions it in the letter next to it), it makes sense that there's a visual hint there as well.... And the survey periscope is the thing that enables you to see it.

Ytram is the frog that you can capture on "boiler island" (the squared one). It's eye is located next to the vehicle you arrive with on Jungle island, right at the start (probably the first eye you see). It's the "third" eye. Knowing that there should be a visual hint consisting the eye, you walk a few steps backwords, towards the cave behind, and in it. Looking back to the eye, you should see the view of the cave entrence looking exactly like a frogish creature, with it's eye exactly in the "eye's" location.

I hope that's cleared out now :blink:

#13 User is offline   pineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:20 AM

very clear! thank u for that aurora! :twitch:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users