MYSTcommunity: Issues with Myst and Riven in XP SP2 and Vista - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Issues with Myst and Riven in XP SP2 and Vista PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

#1 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

I would like to ask everyone here ... including new members ... to please read through the forums BEFORE posting a new thread. Many of us are fully aware that Myst and Riven either do not run or do not run well under XP SP2 and/or Vista. I know part of this has to do with the new security features encoded into both of the programs. In Vista, we are dealing with a new files structure and I (believe) this is causing problems with certain games, especially when it comes to saving.

As of right now, there are no "guaranteed" fixes for these issues, and most of what we have to work with is trial and error. Over the coming weeks I will try to compile some of the "possible" fixes into this thread for easy access and reference, so that we will have ONE place to look for the "possible" solutions.

#2 User is offline   JoanRC 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

I have posted this in reply to a specific question in this forum. It contains generic Vista advice, applicible to a lot of software issues; so I decided to repost it in the sticky thread.

I have Vista 32 bit Home Premium on a dual core Athlon with 2 year old Nvidia and realtek cards. I have successfully run all three games in the Myst 10th Anniversary trilogy of DVDs. I don't remember fiddling with them in order to get them to run. If there were problems, I must have resolved them by using one of the Three Universal Panaceas for Vista.

1. Change compatibility mode. Find either the game icon or the main executable file and right click. Choose properties. Change compatibility to WinXP sp2 or an earlier Windows version; or

2. Run as administrator. Find either the game icon or the main executable file and right click. Choose "Run as Administrator"; or

3. Uninstall. Log on as administrator and reinstall, giving rights to your main user account. Repeat steps one or two if necessary.

If the above fails, you may need to either turn off UAC (User Account Control) or turn off data protection services while installing or running these games. I've never had to try these two.

Riven runs on my setup, but does not save well. The save file becomes corrupted after five or six saves. I would guess this is a data protection services issue. I still have WinME on my other machine and it runs well there.

I also have Uru Complete Chronicles, Myst IV, and Myst V, which all play well for me. I downloaded a patch for Myst IV which cleared up a "floaty cursor" problem, and extended the time on two time sensitive puzzles.

I also have a copy of Myst which game in a Family Fun Pack along with mahjong and chess. It plays under WinME, but not on Vista.

I seem to recall that one of these games required dx 9.c and would not run under dx10, which is what Vista comes with. I downloaded and installed dx9 from the Microsoft website. You do not need to uninstall dx10 for this to work. Afterwords, I discovered that MS has a dx runtime environment which allows you to manage different versions of dx on the same machine. I did not need the runtime environment to get my two dxs playing well together.

#3 User is offline   The Stranger 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:05853476

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

Go here and download the take ownership thing. Take ownership of "Windows", "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" (for 64 bit users), and any other file in the main C:\ directory. Then attempt to run the game (Myst/Riven work instantly, you have to run RealMYST 5-6 times for it to run) ONLY WORKS ON VISTA!

#4 User is offline   JoanRC 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

View PostThe Stranger, on May 13 2008, 09:34 AM, said:

Go here and download the take ownership thing. Take ownership of "Windows", "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" (for 64 bit users), and any other file in the main C:\ directory. Then attempt to run the game (Myst/Riven work instantly, you have to run RealMYST 5-6 times for it to run) ONLY WORKS ON VISTA!

Hella usefull! Wish I'd known about this a year ago! The site doesn't explain what this programme actually does; but, I assume it would work on Riven's main executable. However, we are not having a run problem with Riven running; we're having a problem with Riven saving. If Riven is having problems writing to the save file, I would guess that this is a data protection issue. My solution -- to run it under an older Windows install -- obviously won't work for everyone.

I should note that Riven crashed with every save; but it did save. So, maybe taking ownership of the main executable would be the solution.

#5 User is offline   The Stranger 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:05853476

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

I had the same problem, taking ownership of everything fixed it... but I may have over done it, maybe taking control of the executable will work.

#6 User is offline   Corona 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

I haven't downloaded it yet cause I'm afeerd to find out the hard way...

How do the Myst games run on XP SP3? (At least the 10 year DVD collection anyway.)

#7 User is offline   gambler 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

I'm so glad I got Riven working on my 32bit Vista that I decided to post this if it helps anyone.
My only problem was the random freezing. So, I uninstalled quicktime and installed the version that came with Riven. Then I used windows 98 compatibility mode to run Riven and it works beautifully.
The Quicktime is a version 3.0 and I tried even 2.0 before it but it didn't install correctly.
Also, my Riven is version 1.1 if it has any meaning.
So:
1. Install the Quicktime that comes with Riven (or try some other older one http://www.oldversio...php?n=quicktime )
2. Run under Windows 98 compatibility mode.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

Edit: Now it freezes on a certain point but before that it worked OK. It might be an error in the copy I have but I'll see if I can fix it.
Edit: I got past it. I yet again uninstalled QT and this time changed into a newer one and didn't run it under any compatibility mode. Quite the hassle. Let's see if runs smoothly from now on.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users