MYSTcommunity: Am I Doing Enough? - possible spoilers - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Am I Doing Enough? - possible spoilers Finding stuff OK, but....

#1 User is offline   daranare 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

Recently got "Myst, The Collection". Have never played any Myst games before so all new.

In Myst have so far have located access to 4 ages from Myst Island. So far have only explored Channelwood & Stoneship Ages and have located & brought back red & blue pages from each (all without any walkthrough or hint assistance, which I'm somewhat pleased about!).

However, is there more I should be doing in these 2 ages e.g. in Channelwood there is the snapping table with controllable images whereas in Stoneship there are the spinning globes, the melting lamp/paperweight thing & the rose to skull imager.

If someone could confirm whether these are puzzles/solvable/irrelevant to the game solution etc before I attack the game further I would be grateful.

Have also retreived a white paper from a vault near the dock but almost accidentally saw a spoiler indicating this could be a shortcut to the game end - so absolutely no clues here please!!.

Am loving the game so far - can't believe I've overlooked this until now.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Zardoz 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:03 PM

View Postdaranare, on Dec 31 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

However, is there more I should be doing in these 2 ages e.g. in Channelwood there is the snapping table with controllable images whereas in Stoneship there are the spinning globes, the melting lamp/paperweight thing & the rose to skull imager.

If someone could confirm whether these are puzzles/solvable/irrelevant to the game solution etc before I attack the game further I would be grateful.

Wonderful that you've stumbled onto the Myst series after all these years! The items you mention are not really puzzles, but they do provide you some insights into the general character of the brothers. Enjoy them!

#3 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Only thing I'll add to what Zardoz said is that you're doing very well!

#4 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

Very good job so far! :blink: It's great that people still keep stumbling onto Myst and are still new to it. :twitch:

And those little doodads? Zardoz is right. They're just fun little things to play around with. Let's say that you have a Rubik's cube in your bedroom. Fun toy, right? Well, that's just what these are. :blink:

Enjoy your time spent with Myst - you only ever get to play through it for the the first time once.

#5 User is offline   daranare 

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thanks guys - just what I wanted to hear.

Mechanical Age next then!

#6 User is offline   pineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

leave white page alone!

#7 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Pineapple, she asked for NO SPOILERS concerning that page... :twitch:

And daranare, I'd get more info before messing with it. You might spoil the game if you do.

#8 User is offline   daranare 

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, I did ask for no clues. However, as I had already almost seen something I shouldn't have about the white page, I was not gonna play around with it yet anyway.

By the way, I'm a HE not a SHE and have hopefully amended my profile appropriately. Not that it matters. Forums are generally non-generic and I can't imagine anyone would try to cyber-hit on me :twitch:

#9 User is offline   aurora 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

ooo, no one would cyber-hit on you in these forums until you finish all the Myst games, read all the novels and decorate your home with Myst action figures! :twitch:

#10 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

He. I apologize. Innocent mistake... :twitch:

#11 User is offline   daranare 

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

View Postaurora, on Jan 3 2008, 02:01 AM, said:

.... read all the novels ....

There are novels!! How many? Are these directly related to the games? Are they any good? Did the chicken or egg come first? Would reading them before playing the games spoil the games?

Mystress - apology not needed - it was a 50/50 shot!!

#12 User is offline   Koena 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

Ok if you are an 'chronology' geek (you start watching Star Wars from Episode I, start reading Tolkien from the Silmarillion, start reading Dune with the Butlerian Jihad etc) stop right now what you are doing and read

Book of Ti'ana and then
Book of Atrus

then you can read the unfinished quasi-apocryphal comic book issue about Atrus' sons but most fans will tell you it won't make any difference (I admit I respected the attempt though, I don't really mind the names bloopers and I am really sorry it was canceled :twitch:)

There is also the Book of D'ni which is set after Riven

Ok, if you don't mind the order, you can read them whenever you like (I was joking, but now you know when each one is set)

#13 User is offline   bluewyvern 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

Well, apart from chronological order, there is also the order of appearance, not just no order at all...

Can someone remind me if BoA was published before or after Riven? I read all the books after Riven, but it might have been fun to read BoA, then play Riven, then read the rest of the books.

So after Myst, it's either Book of Atrus then Riven, or Riven then Book of Atrus (not sure which), then Book of Ti'ana, then Book of D'ni, then Exile and the rest of the games.

(And as far as the games go, some people say End of Ages before Uru Complete Chronicles, but I disagree with that. All the material you find in To D'ni is from before Watson left, so I say Uru absolutely comes first. Then at the very end is Uru Live, which is of course post-EoA. :twitch: )

#14 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:46 PM

This thread was getting too off topic and so I split the thread and moved the UrU Live discussion to it own thread found HERE.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users