MYSTcommunity: Myst Online: Uru Live cancelled - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Myst Online: Uru Live cancelled

#1 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

Myst Online: Uru Live has been cancelled.

Hi Everybody,

I have some news that some of you have probably not been looking forward to. GameTap has decided to discontinue the operation of Myst Online: Uru Live.

The decision was a very difficult one and was made for business reasons rather than due to any issues regarding the design and vision of the amazing world that Cyan Worlds and Rand Miller have brought to us. Despite the great Myst Online experience coming to a close, Cyan is still a very valued partner of GameTap, we are on excellent terms, and we look forward to continuing our relationship in the future.

Many of you have made good friends while playing Myst Online, so here is the bittersweet part. Although Myst Online: Uru Live will be completely shut down in the near future, the game servers will remain live for the next 60 days. During that time, both newcomers and existing players can continue to experience the amazing world of Myst Online, explore the game’s many Ages, and interact with other players in the game and on the MystOnline.com website and forums. After 60 days, the title will be removed from the GameTap service, though MystOnline.com will remain live and active for fans to continue to share their passion for this important game franchise.

I know this is not the news fans of Myst Online wanted to hear. I want to thank all of you who have been extremely supportive of the game and made this grand experiment in an alternative MMO format so much fun. All of us at GameTap also want to thank you again for your tireless enthusiasm for the title.

There has been a clamor for information about the status of season 2 for some time, and the reason we haven't announced anything sooner is because we have literally been examining a wide variety of possibilities for maintaining the game, but in the end, we had to bring the exploration of the great cave to a close.

So thanks again for supporting us as we launched this truly unique game. GameTap is still committed to exploring new genres of gameplay and encouraging bold visions. If you haven't already tried Season 2 of Sam & Max, give it a try, it is as anarchic as one could hope. And I can tell you from first hand experience that the upcoming Grimm is novel and exciting experiment as well.

Ricardo Sanchez
VP of Content and Creative Director for GameTap

#2 User is offline   Dougy 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Wow, that is a huge shame. I feel really sorry for all you on-liners. It's such a shame that the Myst universe can't continue.

Still, I wonder if Cyan will release the new content as expansion packs as they did with To D'ni and PotS? (Smiles hopefully.)

#3 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

What new content?

#4 User is offline   Dougy 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

The stuff that has already been released as part of Uru Live, the new Ages and so forth. I didn't play UL but I've seen images of the Ages and gardens. I'd love to explore them.

#5 User is offline   Ro'tahgahm 

• shokhootahn (instructor)

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:47 AM

View PostDougy, on Feb 4 2008, 05:30 PM, said:

The stuff that has already been released as part of Uru Live, the new Ages and so forth. I didn't play UL but I've seen images of the Ages and gardens. I'd love to explore them.

I doubt we'll see any expansion packs. It would take some reworking of the game and content to make it work offline at this point, not to mention the story and puzzles (several of which require multiple people to complete.) Realistically, I don't think it's likely that it will be done, at this point.

#6 User is offline   Dougy 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:59 AM

That is a shame

#7 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

Well, the new content you'd get would be:
  • Eder Delin and Eder Tsogahl, garden Ages that you won't be able to solve
  • Four Pod Ages which are a total waste of time
  • Minkata, a vast but repetitive Age
  • The Guild Pubs which are nothing new
  • Jalak, an Age where you really can't do anything useful alone
  • A slightly improved rendering of K'veer
Frankly, I don't see how it's worth their time (although I'd like to see them release a patch for Myst V to upgrade K'veer).

#8 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:21 AM

That's sad. :D Sorry, Uru Livers... I was hoping to one day check it out myself, but...

*hopes that she'll at least get to go to Mysterium some day before she dies*

#9 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

I echo Alahmnat in my reaction. See the Whole, as dear Anna would advise us.

#10 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

Alahmnaht has some wise words on the matter. I agree - even though I've never played MOUL, I still feel bad for those who did. But... well... I think a quote says it best:

"We can't change the past, nor can we rewrite it, hoping to lessen our pain. The best hope for us is to continue to learn, to take from the past only that which is good, and move on. Perhaps in the process, we will build a brighter future." - Atrus, Myst III: Exile

#11 User is offline   Dougy 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

View PostFree Bird, on Feb 5 2008, 07:08 AM, said:

Well, the new content you'd get would be:
  • Eder Delin and Eder Tsogahl, garden Ages that you won't be able to solve
  • Four Pod Ages which are a total waste of time
  • Minkata, a vast but repetitive Age
  • The Guild Pubs which are nothing new
  • Jalak, an Age where you really can't do anything useful alone
  • A slightly improved rendering of K'veer
Frankly, I don't see how it's worth their time (although I'd like to see them release a patch for Myst V to upgrade K'veer).

I didn't keep up with what the ages were all about, I'd just seen images. Thanks for the info. Still, it's a shame that it looks like, at the moment, the Cavern is closed once more.

I echo Alahmnat in my reaction. See the Whole, as dear Anna would advise us.

I can't get that link to work.

#12 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

Not again. :D

#13 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:374576

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

Something Alahmnat said really struck me:

"Uru...can succeed. Yet in order for it to do that, it must rise from the ashes of its failures as a phoenix, not a zombie."

The grand, original vision of Uru was this: Continually-released story & content, that the explorers can affect. Characters there & interacting every day; little bits of new content every day, & a new Age every month; explorers participating--not just observing--and being able to affect the outcome; a continuous, living, breathing Community.

Uru never fully achieved this.

Prologue was plagued with technical problems, and people waiting to join until they were fixed. And then UbiSoft cancelled Uru before it ever fully got off the ground. GameTap gave Uru a second chance, but didn't give Cyan enough funding to achieve the grand, original vision. All they could do was put together a working Age once a month, with a little bit of story thrown in.

So they switched to Episodes. Considering the amount of story coming out, this was a good idea--knowing when things could happen, people could make a point to be there. But Uru was meant to be so much more--continuous story & content coming out. The hope of that is what brought people to Uru. But the amount of story & content (and consequentially the Episodic Format) fell far short of the grand, original vision--and so wasn't enough to keep enough people around.

The Uru Live we've seen this past year had some great things, and so much potential. But it was not the Uru that Cyan had been building before--the Uru that the Prologe was leading up to. Along the lines of what Alahmnat said, the resurrected Uru we've been seeing has been a Zombie, not a Phoenix.

I believe in Cyan Worlds. I believe they have the talent & the heart to create the "Uru"--a D'ni word meaning "Grand Community"--that "Uru Live" was meant to be. But they need more funding than they've been getting. They need to hire a full staff, to create enough content, and to orchestrate & maintain enough story. What it comes down to is this: Money makes the world go round. Cyan needs it, and no one has been willing to give them enough, because anything new & risky is just that--risky. And it doesn't help that the gaming industry puts a stigma of "unpopular" on adventure & puzzle games.

Uru can succeed. I believe it has the potential to be the most worthwhile media ever. But it can't succeed as a Zombie. I don't want Uru to die, but this second cancellation shows that Uru will only be able to succeed if it receives enough funding for Cyan to pursue Uru with full-strength their grand, original vision: Continually-released story & content. That is what will bring the masses in, and keep them coming back.

#14 User is offline   Vexis Larseker 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:24 PM

Sad that I waited so long to join Uru (I joined at Christmas). I had suspicions when no events occurred on New Year's Eve, and no news was forthcoming about season 2. At least I did get to experience it for a bit, make a few friends and get a glimmer of what their intentions were/are.

#15 User is offline   pineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

i agree with all here, even though i've never played it... but what excatly is the reason for its shut down? they said they want to continue to work with cayan in that article but they gave no reason for closing uru?

#16 User is offline   Corona 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

Uru development right after Riven reminds me of when the Beatles met drugs. They got fat, fast. And then the halcyon visions split them up.

If Cyan had kept doing "point 'n' click Myst games" since Riven I wonder how far along we'd be right now, story-wise. Rands' obsession with online communities was a severe mid-life-crisis wedgie at the worst time...the mid 1990's. If he first began thinking of Uru in 2004 it might've had a decent chance. At least the technology would've been fairly established by then. Rand was probably concerned that another company would get their own "Uru" idea first and beat Cyan in the market. Well who's out there? Second Life and the less noticed There. Whoop-de-doo. 2 low-quality visual competitors who began in 2002 and are way more successful than Uru.

The more recent experience that comes close to old Myst games are the free point 'n click Submachine series. They keep you guessing and they have a wonderful soundtrack.
There you go. That's it, that's all that matters. Because being immersed in a 3D world rips you out of a well-written novel and plops you flat and square in front of a big HDTV with an over-sized singing purple dinosaur.

Rand bit the big one with his vision of Uru. Let that be a lesson to all you 35-year-olds in AV who have dreams of grandeur. Cyan can still come back provided they take a second look at their roots, and blind human curiosity.

#17 User is offline   Marten 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:25 PM

K'laamas has voiced precisely how I feel. There's just nothing I can add to it except a "me too."

#18 User is offline   Korora 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

There will be shards, right?

Eudyptula albosignata

#19 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

It doesn't look like it...

But if there are, there might be a second Until Uru... Hmm...

#20 User is offline   Katran 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

I'm bummed that I never got to experience it, but with my slow dial-up service I just could never get it to work.

#21 User is offline   christopherger 

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

The latest word is that Cyan is talking with GameTap about rights to allow Cyan to host URU some form of it, as yet unspecified, on Cyan servers. No final word yet and Greydragon has reiterated to many concerned with different possiblities that they (Cyan) are working on it.

The basic URU expanded and moved to a new game engine that allowed many more players, and that ceiling was being raised as the game progressed over the first season, it takes time to gather the code and data to know how to expand such a complex and persistent (everything everyone does is seen by everyone else and persists) game world with such high quality graphics. The community in MOUL - URU has grown and continues to evolve, in both depth and complexity and the layers and levels of interaction i.e. daily social events, interactions with both in game characters, new plot twists, and out of game story line interactions too. It has every sign of being a successful concept. There will remain hope for a future iteratoin of URU as long as Cyan continues I think, and I will remain intrigued by the possiblities and very glad to have seen the first season in detail and enjoyed it all.

Life is never perfect, and URU is a full reflectkon of life in many ways, dynamic, mysterious, unkown as well as known, limited by time and resources, but gifted with a vision and a dream.....and without vision and dreams what are we?

The game is still up on GameTap and fully functioning, and the community is active, and welcomes all. You can visit the Cleft and hoods as a free visitor. Closing will be on April 4th, and many are seeing this as an intermission and a hiatus, with an unknown but hopeful future ahead. Work has begun on working and successful fan made Ages and there are many possiblities.

:D

#22 User is offline   only_achenar_lover 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:00656745

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :scared:

That's so sad. . .I was thinking about joining it. I heard it was really great.
Sorry Uru Livers. I feel your pain.

:D :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

#23 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

View Postonly_achenar_lover, on Feb 22 2008, 04:36 PM, said:

I heard it was really great.

Yeah, "was" being the operative word. It was great four years ago...

#24 User is offline   christopherger 

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

I respectfully disagree with the posts here and elsewhere including Ala's about URU, it is evolving and is a alive as the players make it, Cyan cannot alone create the vitality it takes participation and trust and support from the community. I am sorry that it has taken so long but no other game has continued and been reborn in quite this way and no other game that I have seen has the depth and the value of URU. It will take more time I feel and I am sure that Cyan will somehow keep it going, probably with a hosted form and then hopefully new content in the future. It is a concept of dynamic game world that is being attempted by many others currently but none others have the artistic distance and the sensitive nature of URU nor the vision and quality of Cyan in them, most are pretty and sometimes beautiful but static worlds with very basic conflicts that do no more than reflect the shallowness of modern culture. URU invites us to consider questions that have great depth and range and an unlimited horizon.

I plan to continue in faith, and I feel strongly that the community of Myst players need to support it in any way that they can.

So I must just respectfully disagree with everything that is shared in a negative and End of the Ages way.....i know many care and have cared about URU and MOUL however i feel that it is a game in evolution and has much promise and much more to do, and if Cyan can continue it, and all depends on that frankly then I will be in support of it 1000 percent. I know it is hard to see changes, and go through uncertainty but if the community does not support it wholeheartedly it s like driving a stake thru the heart of URU, it takes our faith and support as well as that of Cyan for this concept to evolve. The problems with the game in terms of population limits were being worked on actively it talkes time and data to raise those limits in a game with the quality of game world and content that URU has, and the story was evolving all the time. Just my two cents, and worth barely that much but felt strongly. We must support URU in all forms for it to survive, and it will indeed contiue as long as any of us do. URU LIVES>

#25 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

I feel for those who are just coming into UrU or only been here in the last year. We did feel this same way once. But that time has passed. The game has always had issues and been plagued with problems. The population problems never should have been an issue in the first place. This should have been corrected long before the game launched. Add to this the lack of content, the lack of story and the lack of things to do ... this is what killed this game. I also ... respectfully disagree with you Christopher in that it is Cyan's responsibility to create content, or accept content to be used. Neither of which was done with any frequency. Also, there are other games that are just as involving , and I dare say are far more involving than UrU ever was. Even Myst 4 (which I despised) was more involving that UrU. Beautiful worlds are not enough to keep paying customers and quite honestly UrU looks dated and is dated.

I play games for the content, and I want to be told a story IN the game. Not having to continually go to one forum or another to read a chat log from about an NPC that I should be able to interact with when I want to, not when they decide to show up. I play games to relax and enjoy and not deal with a community arguing over what color the lake should be or what kind of dance I can do. I want a game that engages me to continue on, not sit there and wonder what I'm supposed to be doing, then have the leave the game to go to a forum to figure out why I'm doing what I'm doing and then all we get is speculation only. This is not a game to me. I have played a good many games that invite me to consider questions and options. I have played a good many games that keep me on the edge on my seat in suspense, etc. A lot of UrU didn't have this. Even Exile, a game created in a very short 18 month period was far more engaging that UrU has ever been. As far as the community goes, they have never fully supported this game. Shallow ... yes, many in the community are shallow, and under this definition so am I ... but hey, we live in a shallow world and this has never changed throughout history ... why would anyone expect anything different now. :D

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users