Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mysterium Location Deadline Extension

#1 User is offline   VAXJedi 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

The Mysterium committee has decided to move the deadline for bids for locations for Mysterium 2008 until Feb 14, 2008 in order to solicit any extra bids from community members to ’sponsor’ a location. The location must be in the Eastern Standard Timezone, and this person would act as the local person to act as a point of contact, during which time they would join the committee.

Also, due to the recent, saddening announcement that GameTap is discontinuing Uru Live, GameTap’s participation in an Atlanta Mysterium is no longer viable. A Mysterium in Atlanta is still possible, with a local sponsor. We repeat, again, that this would be without GameTap’s participation.

We would like to take this opportunity to clarify the position of the Local Liaison. The responsibility of the Local Liaison is to consult with the Mysterium Committee on matters relating to the locality that is chosen. This includes local attractions, places to eat, hotel information, planning logistics (areas to avoid, what we might want to be aware of, etc) and any other information that would be helpful in planning the event.

The Local Liaison should be local to the suggested location, and the location should be within the Eastern Standard Timezone. This person should be relatively aware of the details of the location, as they reside there.

The Local Liaison will become a full member of the Mysterium Committee for the 2008 planning season leading up to Mysterium 2008. Therefore, they will function as a full member of the committee for this time, attending meetings, sharing ideas, etc. It is during this time that they will help us plan. This obviously might include any footwork that would be needed to be done locally.

We would like to stress that we will not be considering any locations which do not have a local sponsor. So if you want to have Mysterium in your city and are willing to commit, please let us know!

You can email us at cagraywolf@hotmail.com or lakem@tezhme.net.

#2 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

Why in the Eastern Time Zone?

#3 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:374576

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

There have been 8 Mysteria:

5 in the West (including the last 2)
2 in Central.
1 in the East.

The Mysterium Planning Committee has never limited where Mysterium could be like this, but I think most people will agree that the East is well overdue. It really needs to be in the East (and this coming from a Westerner who really wants to go, but probably won't be able to).

A few thoughts:

1. Just as a reminder, Eastern Time Zone doesn't necessarily mean the East Coast.
2. Please no huge cities! Chicago & L.A. were fun, but they're expensive to stay in, and expensive an time-consuming to travel within. Yes they've got a lot to see, but there are plenty of cheaper places to stay that aren't in the middle of nowhere w/nothing to see.
3. Out-of-the-way or smaller towns can sometimes be expensive to fly to--unless they're near an airport "hub" city. I think we should shoot for that.
4. Please take into consideration the climate--let's choose a place that won't be an absolute death-sauna in the middle of the summer (I nearly died in Chicago...x.x).

(Random Question: I've been told that Charleston, South Carolina would be a good location--anyone know much about it?)

#4 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

View PostK, on Feb 5 2008, 08:46 PM, said:

There have been 8 Mysteria:

5 in the West (including the last 2)
2 in Central.
1 in the East.

The Mysterium Planning Committee has never limited where Mysterium could be like this, but I think most people will agree that the East is well overdue. It really needs to be in the East (and this coming from a Westerner who really wants to go, but probably won't be able to).

This is exactly our reasoning for limiting this year to the eastern time zone. I personally have heard many requests and some complaints about this. We decided as a team to honor these requests.

View PostK, on Feb 5 2008, 08:46 PM, said:

A few thoughts:

1. Just as a reminder, Eastern Time Zone doesn't necessarily mean the East Coast.
2. Please no huge cities! Chicago & L.A. were fun, but they're expensive to stay in, and expensive an time-consuming to travel within. Yes they've got a lot to see, but there are plenty of cheaper places to stay that aren't in the middle of nowhere w/nothing to see.
3. Out-of-the-way or smaller towns can sometimes be expensive to fly to--unless they're near an airport "hub" city. I think we should shoot for that.
4. Please take into consideration the climate--let's choose a place that won't be an absolute death-sauna in the middle of the summer (I nearly died in Chicago...x.x).

(Random Question: I've been told that Charleston, South Carolina would be a good location--anyone know much about it?)

Thank you K'laamas ... We are certainly taking all of this into consideration. Most of us on the committee also feel the pressures of financial burdens that many here feel and this is why I didn't attend 2005, I just could afford the hotel (even sharing). We are looking into the places that have been suggested and see what they offer. We are looking into hotels that are just outside on each major city, yet remain close enough for easy access. We are hoping to have a destination announced by early March, so those who want to attend can start planning accordingly.

#5 User is offline   River 

• River

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:15 AM

I still think Ruby Falls (Tennessee I think) would be wonderful...

And let's be cognizant that, the South has yet to endure a Mysterium (hehe)

But, depending on WHEN, where may be moot for me anyway. We shall see.

#6 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

Would it be possible to see a list of already-suggested locations so that we know if a place we want to suggest has already been, well, suggested?

#7 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

View PostCapella, on Feb 9 2008, 12:32 PM, said:

Would it be possible to see a list of already-suggested locations so that we know if a place we want to suggest has already been, well, suggested?

I don't see why not. I should be able to get this to you all tonight. :D

#8 User is offline   christopherger 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:16 AM

Has there been a decision on this yet? i still hope to come to one of the gatherings, we may have a smaller get together of Myst and MOUL folks here in the Four Corners sometime soon, will post info as it forumlates...possibly Southern Colorado :D

#9 User is offline   MystRivenExile 

• Admiral of the White

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

Ah, if I hadn't been so busy with stuff and checked this once in a while, I would have suggested Acadia, Maine, or something of that nature. Forests are very Myst-like there.... and some of the islands.

#10 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Alas, the deadline's long past and still no decision. It doesn't look like anyone in the East is all that eager to do it right now…

#11 User is offline   Elorviel 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

View PostK, on Feb 5 2008, 11:46 PM, said:

I'm a native South Carolinian, and Charleston is good, but very confusing for outsiders. There aren't many signs telling you where to go, and if you go the wrong way, you may end up some place bad!

Well it is sad that a location was never found. I currently live in Atlanta, and since I grew up in this area I know it very well. It's not as confusing as Charleston. Also, there are plenty of hotels outside the city within a nice travelling distance. I can give any alternate route you want (I travel 75 and 85 a lot and sometimes people can't handle the traffic during rush hour).

If there is any news about the location for this year, I hope someone will post. I sadly have never heard of Mysterium and I would love to go to one!

#12 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

View PostElorviel, on Mar 2 2008, 06:21 AM, said:

Well it is sad that a location was never found. I currently live in Atlanta, and since I grew up in this area I know it very well. It's not as confusing as Charleston. Also, there are plenty of hotels outside the city within a nice travelling distance. I can give any alternate route you want (I travel 75 and 85 a lot and sometimes people can't handle the traffic during rush hour).

We haven't decided on a location yet. You all should be hearing something within the next couple of days. The Mysterium Committee had some issues to resolve (permissions, etc) in order to move forward. A little patience and all will be well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users