• Douchecanoe Sequestration Expert
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

THE FINISHED PRODUCTS:

Chapter One is Here.
Chapter Two is Here.
And
Chapter Three is Here.

I don't know how many of you here have been following along with 'The Opposite of Fate' which is my Sirrus redemption story, but it's now complete (as of today) and now I'm working on ways to perfect it.

Okay, so Uberlutra and I were discussing and she asked me a funny question about PDF files and MP3 players and it got me thinking. What if I made an MP3 of TOF? I mean, it would be a lot of work, and I couldn't do it all on my own, but I bet if people helped, I could manage it.

It's not simple, well, explaining it is, but the actual act of doing it would be um...time consuming. But since I wrote a 200 page fanfic I think I'm just crazy enough to try.

I'd need voice actors though. People willing to read parts for me, and send me the .WAV files. I would do the narration (since that's the bulk of it, and I just wouldn't make a good Gaia.) But I bet y'all would help me...wouldn't you?

It'd be obviously different from the games, since I can't get Rand Miller and the rest to do the known characters, like Atrus, Sirrus, Achenar, Yeesha, Saavedro or Catherine. Or Jeff Zandi since I just forgot he wasn't mine...ha...

I compiled a list of characters, and I'm putting it under spoiler cut, just because it's long and I don't want to bulk up the post.
Click to reveal hidden content

Gaia
Sirrus
Achenar
Atrus
Gehn
Catherine
Ariel
Tupolski
Yeesha
Dar'Jee - V'Lair's little sister
V'Lair
R'Shuka - V'Lair's father
J'Rafe, Fah'Rar, I'Nonin (the servants)
Marylyn
Tony
Jake
Jeff Zandi
Hagan Montgomery
The Doctor, Assorted Students
Saavedro
Tamra
Litaana, Mikaa - Saavedro's daughters
Kaito - The Narayani Guard
Zanika
Yannin
The Elders - yay big booming voice
"Yavoh"
The Flame Guardian

So if I've forgotten anyone, I'll feel really stupid considering they're my characters. Obviously people would need to double up, except for the main characters. And me, the narrator.

How it would be done seems simple enough unless you're me, the narrator...haha. If people wanted to do this, I would go through the entire document and find every single bit of dialogue, monologue or otherwise, and separate them into different documents. Depending on who was cast for each, I would send their document to them, and they would use a microphone and the recording program that comes with all computers to record each sentence, or monologue to their liking. Then I would read all of the bloody narration, take all the dialogue files (apporpriately labeled, of course) and splice them together using Audacity which is God amongst programs.

...Yeah, sounds simple. Isn't.

So...anyone up for a challenge?

(If you haven't read the story, that's fine, I'd like the help. ESPECIALLY FROM THE GUYS!)

#2 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro
  • KI number:14189098

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

I tried to record my auditions today, and my microphone doesn't work! Now my computer doesn't recognise it at ALL!!!! I know it works. I've talked to my grandparents in THAILAND on it for crying out loud!! My mom's computer recognised it. But noooo, my computer has to get an attitude problem! :D

#3 User is offline   uberlutra 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:00429457

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

I'd be willing to do it, of course. I mean first I'd need a microphone but I might end up getting one anyway for classes and whatnot. I don't know if you'd need music as well, but I could do something for that too...I've got Sibelius which is a great composition program and if you need little bits of music between chapters or something, I could work that out. Or record stuff. I was messing around in the practice halls today with oboe and was trying to come up with a theme to open it out or something, though it won't sound nearly as good on Sibelius as it does on real oboe because Sibelius can't do the cool oboe harmonics...

Anyway. I totally want to help, I need a mic, and I'll do voices and music if you need it. There we go.

#4 User is offline   Camoudile 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

It seems microphones worldwide are conspiring against us. :D

Hey, once we finish with this (if it turns out well, which I know it will), we should make something like a MYSTCommunity radio station... where people come in and audition for different parts in, for instance, reenactments of the games or events in BoT, BoA, and BoD.

::train of Camoudile's thought/grandiose ideas, now gaining momentum, can no longer be stopped::

And we could have competing teams or something, doing it like we did the writing challenges. I mean, imagine being able to hear audio versions of passages from the books! Might help bring more people to the franchise too.

Okay, you may resume realistic discussion now.

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

:D I don't have a microphone!

If I did, I can imitate "Mr. Atrus" or maybe Gehn (hard inflections) or Achenar (harder, and lower).

or, of course, one of the made-for-TOF characters

Of course, this is all irrelevant since...

camoudile said:

It seems microphones worldwide are conspiring against us.

#6 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:16 AM

I keep telling y'all to go and get a friend with one! I don't have a microphone either but my roomie/best friend does. She's also going to be voicing some people, probably Tupolski, maybe Jake. I don't know.

@KatrAnna: There's something you can do to the internal stats of the computer to get it to recognize it. Give me a few days to figure out what, and tell me what kind of computer you have (Laptop, PC, Mac, and what running process you have) and I bet I could figure it out.

@Camoudile: Okay, so if I send you the PDF file, would you read through it and excepting the Funeral Song, would you mind finding some music for it? (For the record, I hate emo suck music. Any Fallout Boy, Bowling for Soup, Lost Prophets and whiny voiced singers will be immediately vetoed). Myst music is great, other Gaia-y stuff is good too. Have fun with it, and send me a list of the songs. If I have them, I'll listen to them, if I don't, I'll find them.

@Gehn, lord of ages: You'd have made a great Gehn, I just know it. Know anyone with a microphone?

#7 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

I have a Dell laptop with Vista. I don't know what do with Vista, I just figure out what I need and leave it that way. :D The guy across the street is a computer guy, I might ask him for help. And since I fall into the "underage-don't-get-caught-with-this-language", I can't just use my mom's.

#8 User is offline   Camoudile 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Feb 15 2008, 08:16 AM, said:

@KatrAnna: There's something you can do to the internal stats of the computer to get it to recognize it. Give me a few days to figure out what, and tell me what kind of computer you have (Laptop, PC, Mac, and what running process you have) and I bet I could figure it out.

Would it be possible to do this for my mic too? Remember, my only problem (other than it being the kind of mic one can use only in a soundproofed room) is that my computer doesn't recognize it.

Besides, I would be eternally grateful if somebody could get the computer to recognize my Zen. Having it stranded like this is very uncomfortable. I use a Dell XP system, and I can generally figure out my way around it pretty well if I have an idea where I should be looking (which explains why I have such remarkably complete Uru and EoA soundtracks).

#9 User is offline   Kerberos 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Feb 15 2008, 11:16 AM, said:

I keep telling y'all to go and get a friend with one! I don't have a microphone either but my roomie/best friend does.

Ah, yes. The best way to select your friends: by what they own.

I've sent you the second part of chapter 1 by PM. At this rate, we should be done in two months... I'll try to pick up the pace.

#10 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

Okay...

@KatrAnna: Vista equals the suck, dude, so I can't help you. I have XP, so you may have to ask your computer friend guy. This whole age limit on swear words is kind of ridiculous...as a note.

@Camoudile: Okay, so. Make sure your microphone is plugged into the computer. Then, go to Start. Then, to Control Panel. Find "Sounds and Audio Devices". A little box that pops up should have five tabs. The fourth one is entitled "Voice". It will say:

These settings control volume and advanced options for the voice playback or recording device you have selected.

And then it'll have two mini boxes one entitled "Voice Playback" which should have your sound card in the drop down menu - don't touch that.

The second says "Voice recording" if it doesn't say anything, then your microphone is broken, or incompatible with your computer. There's also a putt that says 'Test Hardware' which may jump start it.

OR!

You can go to the fifth tab which is called "Hardware" (being of course that your microphone is hardware) and you should find it in the menu under "Devices" if its not THERE, then your computer is completely not reading it and you need a new one.

Helpful?

@Kerberos: Don't rush on my account. I should be doing this, but you know...too busy writing Loose Ends.

#11 User is offline   Kerberos 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Wha-? There are laws about how old you have to be to use profanity? I have some choice words on that subject, but The Man might get me down if I type them.

But really, pretty much everyone in my high school swears constantly. Pshaw.

Side note: my spell-checker recognizes "pshaw" as a word. Neat.

#12 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

I hear it all the time at school too, and my dad uses it in traffic, but I'm a good girl, and never swear (in public). I really need my mic to work, I use it too much!! Arg! Why me? Maybe someone doesn't want me swearing. :D

#13 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

View PostKatrAnna, on Feb 16 2008, 11:26 AM, said:

I hear it all the time at school too, and my dad uses it in traffic, but I'm a good girl, and never swear (in public). I really need my mic to work, I use it too much!! Arg! Why me? Maybe someone doesn't want me swearing. :D

There's no LAW, but if some fourteen year old walked around dropping the F-Bomb (which I do all the time, but then I'm nearly 21) people would assume something was wrong with said fourteen year old. And yes, everyone hears it in high school. And from their fathers. Like mine!!

Maybe you could ask your mom for her computer, and then be covert and only do the bits where she swears -- and in the monologue Gaia doesn't -- when she isn't home or around. (Or we could just cut the swears entirely, if it's that big of a deal.)

#14 User is offline   Kerberos 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

View PostKatrAnna, on Feb 16 2008, 11:26 AM, said:

I hear it all the time at school too, and my dad uses it in traffic

People at your school say "pshaw?" That's... jolly good?

[/deliberatemisunderstanding]

#15 User is offline   Camoudile 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Feb 15 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

You can go to the fifth tab which is called "Hardware" (being of course that your microphone is hardware) and you should find it in the menu under "Devices" if its not THERE, then your computer is completely not reading it and you need a new one.

Helpful?

Hmmm... back to square one, it doesn't recognize it. Ah well, I do enjoy being [the] ME. :D

...especially after seeing Mystress's Locusani trailer and realizing that her voice really only does need to be lowered. Your Saavy impression is as good as advertised, Mystress!

In fact, do you think you could PM me the audio of that, so I could fiddle around with it and see how it will work?

#16 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

*bows* Thank you, camoudile! Strange things happen when you get to know a character well...

And I'll PM you the audio right away... hold on a sec...

#17 User is offline   uberlutra 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:00429457

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

I still don't have a mic. It may be awhile. But letting you know that I am still interested and would be willing to do any voices that are needed once I obtain one.

#18 User is offline   Camoudile 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

View PostMystress, on Feb 16 2008, 07:12 PM, said:

*bows* Thank you, camoudile! Strange things happen when you get to know a character well...

And I'll PM you the audio right away... hold on a sec...

Got it. Wow. After a bit of fiddling, I think my ever-helpful younger brother and I have managed to dial in on the proper pitch! You won't believe how Saavy-ish this is sounding so far (however, the fine tweaking does take a long time, so there's, so far, a few measures at the beginning that sound eerily like Saavy, and most of the rest that sound merely like a generally lowered Mystress-voice). This is working much better than I anticipated!

Some stuff I'm discovering about the software's strengths and limitations, for you voice actors/actresses:

-Proper inflection (tone rising/falling) makes the process easier, but there's definite wiggle room, as long as it's not completely monotone.

-Also, don't worry about trying to lower your voice, if your female playing a male. I can handle that part just fine, talk naturally.

-Pronunciation, pronunciation, pronunciation. Pay attention especially to how your character pronounces vowels, because these can have subtle regional differences, and they're something I *cannot* fix.
(@Mystress: you did an excellent job at this for most of the speech, by the way. The only thing I would change for TOF is the way "want" and "wanted" are pronounced. I think Saavy's "a" is a little different.)

-On a similar vein, make sure that volume modulation is EXACTLY how it would be for the character. This is something I can modify, but it's for the most part too time-consuming to bother. Make my job easy... :rotflol:

-And try to avoid poofy-mic sounds. I know we're all probably working with pretty cheap mics here, so it's kind of hard to avoid, but do try.

-Most important, take your time. If you need to re-record, do, because this is a very labor-intensive business that I probably really won't have time to focus on until April. For similar reasons, please give me small sound bites one at a time, so I don't overwork myself and/or my little brother (hehe SLAVE!! :rotflol:)

And again, Mystress, thank you so much for the sample!! Your Saavy is superb, and he (:D) really helped me put Magix through the paces.

#19 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

@Camoudile: You're amazing. :D

#20 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

Mystress, my samples will be in to you hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. My roommate's boyfriend moved in for a WEEK and I haven't been able to spend much time in my room (where my recording equipment is) in forever.

#21 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

:D Yay! I got a microphone! :rotflol: By the way, I'm male.

:hides in bunker:

Once I get the thing working and all, I'll try auditioning for Atrus and Gehn.

#22 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

View PostCapella, on Feb 17 2008, 09:06 PM, said:

Mystress, my samples will be in to you hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. My roommate's boyfriend moved in for a WEEK and I haven't been able to spend much time in my room (where my recording equipment is) in forever.

And you'd be sending them to Mystress...why, exactly?

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Feb 18 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

:D Yay! I got a microphone! :rotflol: By the way, I'm male.

:hides in bunker:

Once I get the thing working and all, I'll try auditioning for Atrus and Gehn.

YOU ARE?! *glomp* I didn't think I got ANY males to read TOF. *small white furried creatures native to Edanna!* What're you hiding in the bunker for? *pulls out. glomp*

*sweetly* And V'Lair? And Tony?

#23 User is offline   Kerberos 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Feb 18 2008, 07:23 PM, said:

I didn't think I got ANY males to read TOF.

What a wound to my masculinity! I'll never be able to show my face again!

Edit: although I wonder what the statistics are for female Myst players versus male. I guess that most guys would go more for FPS games than puzzles.

#24 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Feb 18 2008, 04:23 PM, said:

YOU ARE?! *glomp* I didn't think I got ANY males to read TOF. *small white furried creatures native to Edanna!* What're you hiding in the bunker for? *pulls out. glomp*

:D

View PostKerberos, on Feb 18 2008, 04:43 PM, said:

Edit: although I wonder what the statistics are for female Myst players versus male. I guess that most guys would go more for FPS games than puzzles.

Here Kerberos... take this.

#25 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

View PostKerberos, on Feb 18 2008, 07:43 PM, said:

In my defense, I didn't know you were a guy! You can tell with handwriting but not with typing! I mean...c'mon!

(And also in my defense, I go for FPS games just as much as puzzle games.)

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Feb 18 2008, 07:53 PM, said:

:D

View PostKerberos, on Feb 18 2008, 04:43 PM, said:

Here Kerberos... take this.

Well, except for you, I figured you were a guy, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to assume! And now that I know you are, and you have a microphone to use, I'm probably going to double you up for the numerous guy parts I wrote. Hagan, Jeff (okay so he's not mine, whatever), V'Lair...all the NPCs except Marylyn... And I say I can't write men.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users