MYSTcommunity: Uru and Latus - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Uru and Latus Split from "Cyan's Worlds: A Rant"

#1 User is offline   Travis_Knowledge 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

I really enjoy Uru. I really do. It's just that...it's not Cyan. Sure, it's Myst...but I feel as if Cyan is gone. I remember a few years ago when my friend started up Riven for the first time after buying it. "It's a sequel to a game I really like," he said. "I think you'll like it if you see it." Then I heard the music...saw the Cyan logo...watched as Atrus pushed me into the world...And I was amazed.

Go forward a couple of years. I am now standing in Best Buy and I have beaten the Myst series, which was a quadrilogy back then. I was amazed with Exile and Revelation, and had recently gotten realMyst, which was great as well. I buy Uru about five seconds after seeing "Myst" written on it and pop it into my computer after using my car's warp drive. I simply can't wait.

Five minutes later, I'm bored. And I think to myself...this is the worst Myst game ever created.

However, that's not saying something horrible. Uru is still one of the best games I've ever played, and I still think it's the weakest link in the Myst chain (although Myst V came awful close). That's how good Myst is. Now, magnify the goodity of the present series I have described to you by about a million, and you get the power of the original Myst series up until about Revelation. I have also played (with a bit of shame) the entire original Cyan trilogy except for Osmo, which I am waiting for on Gametap. They are good as well, and have the unnatural, unscientific MYST-ique (couldn't resist) of the series as well.

If Latus is like all I have described, I'll get it. And that, folks, is my two cents.

Moderator Note

I moved this post into a separate thread because recent developments have caused the original thread to become out of date, which could confuse people. ~ Free Bird

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hi,
I wouldn't say that URU is the worst Myst game (I don't believe there is one) but I would say that it is the most 'UnMystlike' game of them all wiith EoA coming a very close second.
When I bought EoA I was pretty excited, after all this was the conclusion and although it was a slightly sad time because of that I was still looking forward to playing it.
The moment it started I thought 'Oh, its like URU!' I was expecting something in the style of Exile or Revelation but sadly didn't get it, I felt the move away from live actors to this 'hotch potch' of live and animation was a big mistake that seemed to take the game quality back in time instead of forward.
Certainly in visual terms it is outstripped by both Exile and Revelation and even Riven.
I hope that Latus (if it ever comes about) is more like Myst than either URU or EoA.

So, scores out of 10 for overall visual quality, satisfaction and enjoyability?
Myst 8
RealMyst 8.5 (because of the 'Real' factor although I felt the times and weather changed a little too quickly)
Riven 10
Exile 10
Revelation 9.5 (The Spire chair puzzle was a real pig and unnecessarily complicated)
URU (Inc add ons) 7 (This only scores over EoA because of the add-on packs that further expanded the environment)
End of Ages 5.5
Latus ??? (We shall see)

Come on Cyan, you set the benchmark, now you have to live up to it, we all know you can do it... :D

#3 User is offline   ShadeJackrabbit 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

I liked URU. I thought the concept was great.

Of course, beyond the concept, there wasn't much really. Some nice graphics and stuff, but no, not as good as the rest of the series.

#4 User is offline   R1ven 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:31 PM

At this point, I'll settle for anything that actually runs on a current machine (Vista). Ughhh...
Even Riven gave me so many head-aches, I practically gave up and started to just follow the Walkthroughs so I could speed through all the crashing.

#5 User is offline   ZapperJet 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

I hope the next one is pre-rendered (that's probably not likely). I just hate the over occluded, cloudy day style realtime graphics in the new games.

#6 User is offline   Estari 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

I played URU and met lots of new friends during the time I played it. The difference in the MYST games which I myslef equilly enjoy, is that there's a plot and you're alone most of the time and never have a buddy to chat to. URU has episodes you can play and than afterwards, you can hang out and play with your buddies in favorite ages. Some of my buddies and I had a Sardines game in erecana and it's one of the best memorise I can recal.

I love the rich graphics in both MYST 3 and 4 but it doesn't make me not enjoy the other games.

I love all of them.

Games are fun LOL

My Favorite MYST games though are definitly MYST 3 because of the music and sharp beautiful graphics and realMYST because of the new rime age with snow in it and myst 1 I remember playing at 10 or 11 years old with my older brother and my Mom only realMYST makes everything more realistic in the game and I again love the graphics.

I have to say in terms of the puzzles, MYST 3 was the easiest game in that catagory. Riven I have to agree was the hardest I used the guidebook myslef for that game and I took my two years to finish it from mainly getting bored with it and coming back two or 4 months later and contenuing because it took so long to get past some areas in the game.
But I did enjoy the submarine and the tram, and secret passadges. =)

anyway I'm stopping I'm typeing to loonnnggg LOL

#7 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

View PostZapperJet, on May 26 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

I hope the next one is pre-rendered (that's probably not likely). I just hate the over occluded, cloudy day style realtime graphics in the new games.

Ahh, but I love that about realtime games! Fog and clouds: dump 'em in!

#8 User is offline   Dougy 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

Personaly, I really enjoyed Uru. Sure, it's not th best of the Myst games but I loved being able to just wander around the Ages, explore D'ni, read all the various tomes and books scattered around the place. It just felt so epic. Even though I've finished the main game twice and the two expasions (I never went on-line) I still boot it up every now and then just to wander around Kadish and Ae'gura. I just love it.

For me the worst game in the Myst series was End of Ages. It was such a disapointment and really felt half finished. Persoanly I think the graphics in the game look quite poor and I really hated the motion capture animation of the people. At best it was a poor, poor man's version of a Myst game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users