MYSTcommunity: Gold Dome (where am I going wrong?) - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Gold Dome (where am I going wrong?)

#1 User is offline   R1ven 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:42 AM

Hey guys, I just can't make sense of what to do anymore. I have tried for hours and hours and hours and hours, finally gave up and read through some walkthroughs, and even STILL I am lost.

I am at the part where I am supposed to solve some puzzle in the Golden Dome. That's easier said than done, as I can't even find the puzzle!

From what I understand, you just go to the top of the dome and it's right there? A few turns of the pentagon-room and BAM, it should be there but I killed mself turning the damn thing over and over and over and I just don't know what is really supposed to happen here anymore.

I already turned on the two steam valves way down below.. and I pulled a lever to lower a small set of stairs to get to the other side, which let me turn a wheel to connect a cat-walk, and I also pressed a switch to bring up a tiny elevator piece. But I just don't understand... is there some sort of mega-giant catwalk that I'm missing? I just can't seem to get to the roof of this golden thing.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words.. I was going to include a save. Unfortuantely I can't make sense of this new Vista gimmick by MS either. Not only did it keep causing riven to crash, but for some reason none of the saves show up in the Riven Directory, despite I know they are saved there.

I guess I'm just getting too old for computers.

#2 User is offline   GestaltAlteration 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

View PostR1ven, on Mar 5 2008, 05:15 AM, said:

delete

I'm guessing you found the answer...

Just in case:

Click to reveal hidden content
Survey Island is key.

#3 User is offline   R1ven 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

Alright never mind guys, I found it. Damn leaver on the side of the entrance.

Anyhow... completed it pretty fast after that. And now it's 11 am, and I need some sleep!

And to think I purchased this years ago and only go around to really playing it this week.

#4 User is offline   R1ven 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:31 AM

View PostGestaltAlteration, on Mar 5 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

View PostR1ven, on Mar 5 2008, 05:15 AM, said:

delete

I'm guessing you found the answer...

Just in case:

Survey Island is key.

Yup game was completed. Though I'm very mystified (no pun intended) about the purpose of that frog. The first time I lowered the barbeque, it didnt' work. I did it again in frustration, and then I got a frog, but the game crashed after that (damn vista), so I had to go back to a later save. For some reason I couldn't get the frog again, so I did a search on the interenet and it seemed other people also had a (bug?) with this not always working. Maybe it's a random red-herring, I don't know. Was able to finish the game without that frog though.

I also found it odd that at the very beginning Atris tells me that he'll come after with a linking book and rescue us. Instead he saves his own ass (and his wife's) but leaves me hanging to fall alone in the fissure?

Hmm..!

And on further note, I wasn't able to jump into the prison book when I first met Mr. Evil. I didn't quit get the option until it was too late... and then I decided OK... I'lll just jump in one of the linking books outside the cage but still in reach, but then vista would lock up on me, or maybe that's supposed to happen. I ended up fixing the problem by re-loading to a past save, and then jumping into the prison book the instant Mr. Evil told me to.

#5 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:14189098

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

You got Riven to work on Vista?!? I have an old version of the game, so I haven't even tried, but maybe I will now... The frog was a clue for the
ring of stones. It made the chirpy noise.

#6 User is offline   GestaltAlteration 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Some spoilers to those who have not played Riven.

Yup game was completed. Though I'm very mystified (no pun intended) about the purpose of that frog. The first time I lowered the barbeque, it didnt' work. I did it again in frustration, and then I got a frog, but the game crashed after that (damn vista), so I had to go back to a later save. For some reason I couldn't get the frog again, so I did a search on the interenet and it seemed other people also had a (bug?) with this not always working. Maybe it's a random red-herring, I don't know. Was able to finish the game without that frog though.

It took me a long time to realize that there are many things in Riven that appear as puzzles but just add to the environment to the game. As KatrAnna said it was a clue, but I honestly knew the eyeball was a frog long before that (as if the shape in the cave wasn't enough...), so it only served to confuse me. In essence the frog trap serves little purpose beyond adding to the scenery.

I also found it odd that at the very beginning Atrus tells me that he'll come after with a linking book and rescue us. Instead he saves his own ass (and his wife's) but leaves me hanging to fall alone in the fissure?

He told you if all went well you could return where you came from. (Found in other sources to be New Mexico on Earth, I believe). In Myst 1 the Myst linking book fell through the fissure when Atrus jumped in with trapping Ghen in mind. He linked through the book, leaving the book to fall down the starry expanse to an unknown location. The "unknown location" happened to be your front yard, where you linked and started the events in the original Myst. Because the book managed to get to you, Atrus assumed that you falling through would again lead to the location you linked at.

This said, I still agree with you. I find it odd that Atrus didn't give you the choice to come with him. After all there was absolutely no guarantee that the fissure would return you safely to earth. But, eh, it is what it is. :D

#7 User is offline   R1ven 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

View PostKatrAnna, on Mar 5 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

You got Riven to work on Vista?!? I have an old version of the game, so I haven't even tried, but maybe I will now... The frog was a clue for the
ring of stones. It made the chirpy noise.

Well, likE I said, it didn't run VERY WELL! Kept crashing so much, for most the early game I was following a walkthrough just to give me a chance to finish it in a reasonable amount of time. There is no way I could have kept trying to click on every pixel, and scout EVERYWHERE in a decent lifetime without doing do. It was actually a horrifying experience :D

I never did try any of the other Myst games after part II, and now I am very hesitant to do so, unless by some miracle, they run better on Vista.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users