MYSTcommunity: Victory denied - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Victory denied Game crushes when i give Atrus his page

#1 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:03330098

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:35 AM

Playing RealMyst here. Checked out all the bad endings {nice}, and was ready for the real one. So i go into D'ni, the graphomaniac asks for his page, i hand it over... but a moment after it appears in his hand, the game crashes! I load and try again - and it crashes once more! Do wut nao? :={

Also, if this is the end and all i'm missing is the ending movie and credits - i think there's a lose end left!
Under the way leading to the rocket ship, there's a machine asking for a 4-digit code. I found no clues on what that code could be in any of the ages. Halp pl0x! :D

#2 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

Sirrusly, people, i need help here!

#3 User is offline   CAGrayWolf 

• The Wolfmeister
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

WARNING! Contains ideas for cheats and ways to get around certain parts of the game.

View PostSwampthing, on Mar 6 2008, 01:35 AM, said:

Playing RealMyst here. Checked out all the bad endings {nice}, and was ready for the real one. So i go into D'ni, the graphomaniac asks for his page, i hand it over... but a moment after it appears in his hand, the game crashes! I load and try again - and it crashes once more! Do wut nao? :={

Do you by chance have a saved game previous to this one? This is the only thing I can think of at the moment. There is one other possibility, but I haven't tried this this so not totally sure it will work. Apparently you can start a new game and get the white page almost immediately and give that to Atrus, thus avoiding playing through the entire game again. This may get you back to the place where your game crashed and finish playing.

View PostSwampthing, on Mar 6 2008, 01:35 AM, said:

Also, if this is the end and all i'm missing is the ending movie and credits - i think there's a lose end left!
Under the way leading to the rocket ship, there's a machine asking for a 4-digit code. I found no clues on what that code could be in any of the ages. Halp pl0x! :D

This leads to a final age and you can not get the code until you speak to Atrus and got through the entire dialogue with him. He will eventually make mention of how to access this area. Of course, if you still can't get through that movie part with Atrus, you can always look up the code online and get there that way.

#4 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

I've tried loading from three different saves, and also tried the "cheat" version {get the page, go to D'ni, no detours}, and every time it's the same: either the moment i click to give him the page, or moments after it appears in his hand, the game crashes. Sometimes the music glitches for a second before it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but the final result is always CRASH. :={

Can the video of what Atrus says/does be found anywhere on the CD? If so, how? If not, does anyone here have it? Or at least a transcript?
Did this happen to anyone else? Maybe there's a patch i need to download or something?

#5 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:58 AM

View PostSwampthing, on Mar 7 2008, 10:35 PM, said:

I've tried loading from three different saves, and also tried the "cheat" version {get the page, go to D'ni, no detours}, and every time it's the same: either the moment i click to give him the page, or moments after it appears in his hand, the game crashes. Sometimes the music glitches for a second before it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but the final result is always CRASH. :={

Can the video of what Atrus says/does be found anywhere on the CD? If so, how? If not, does anyone here have it? Or at least a transcript?
Did this happen to anyone else? Maybe there's a patch i need to download or something?

This sounds like it may be a Quicktime problem, which version (s) of Quicktime do you have installed?

#6 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

I found it, it's 6.3
Should i update or reinstall it or something?

#7 User is offline   prutger 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

Why would it be a Quicktime problem if he has made it all the way through the game to where he is now? There is enough Quicktime material in the game...

#8 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:51 PM

Wahrk that. Lacking the patience, i found the code in a walkthrough and went directly to Rime. Which was nice. What did Katran mean, though? The combination she drew shows Riven, but her note was along the lines of "It's true, and for you i gave up my dreams, i am yours only" - umm, what?

Also, since i'm not gonna see it myself, could someone spoil me on what exactly is supposed to happen after i feed Atrus his page?

#9 User is offline   GestaltAlteration 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

View PostSwampthing, on Mar 9 2008, 12:51 AM, said:

Wahrk that. Lacking the patience, i found the code in a walkthrough and went directly to Rime. Which was nice. What did Katran mean, though? The combination she drew shows Riven, but her note was along the lines of "It's true, and for you i gave up my dreams, i am yours only" - umm, what?

Also, since i'm not gonna see it myself, could someone spoil me on what exactly is supposed to happen after i feed Atrus his page?

I had a similar experience... It was in Riven at the stone circle puzzle. After solving it my game would crash every time. My solution was to download a saved game directly after the puzzle (BTW the disc looked perfectly clean and every other part of the game worked). Unfortunately since yours happens in the middle of a cut scene I guess there's no way to pull that trick. I hope one day you can borrow a different disc and see the ending.

Sorry for the useless post, just wanted to add my two cents. :D

#10 User is offline   R1ven 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

View PostGestaltAlteration, on Mar 9 2008, 12:50 AM, said:

View PostSwampthing, on Mar 9 2008, 12:51 AM, said:

I had a similar experience... It was in Riven at the stone circle puzzle. After solving it my game would crash every time. My solution was to download a saved game directly after the puzzle (BTW the disc looked perfectly clean and every other part of the game worked). Unfortunately since yours happens in the middle of a cut scene I guess there's no way to pull that trick. I hope one day you can borrow a different disc and see the ending.

Sorry for the useless post, just wanted to add my two cents. :D

Hmm, in Riven the first time I solved the puzzle my machine also crashed, but it worked the second time.

In Myst, the one thing that really gave me problems, was that area where you had to turn a wheel, and then light a match. Every time I turned the wheel the game would crash. I did a search, and found out it was a common problem with many graphics cards in that one spot in Myst. I forget what I did, must have downloaded some patch or something.

#11 User is offline   JoanRC 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

If you have totally given up trying to solve the technical problem, there are several things you could try.

1. Do an internet search for Atrus transcripts. There are repositories in several Myst forums as well as the Mystlore wiki. Here is one place http://www.dnidesk.com/refindex.html.

2. Extract the game movies using Riveal http://homepage.mac....ter/Riveal.html. Note that all the material is copyrighted.

3. Check out social networking places such as Youtube and Myspace for fanvids. My favourite is the satirical "Atrus thinks you're an idiot" (a response to the bad ending).

Option #2 allows you to isolate the movie and find out if it crashes in Quicktime. If it does, you might want to run it through some other player such as Media Classic Player. I found that the movies in my Masterpiece Edition played in the game, but some stalled in Quicktime if played individually.

If you want to pursue the technical issue, you need to post in the tech forums and provide more details. For instance, my Masterpiece Edition of Riven runs well under WinME, but crashes too much to be playable in Vista. I suspect it is an admin rights issue, but can't be bothered troubleshooting because I still have WinME on another partition.

On the other hand, my Masterpiece Editon of both Myst and Exile play well in both OSs, but my original version of Myst won't play in Vista at all.

I don't have RealMyst but assume it ends as Myst did.

#12 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Have you tried downloading the patch that they released for realMyst? I don't know if it would fix your problem or not, but it's worth a shot, right?
If I can track it down I'll let you know.

Edit: Here it is: http://support.learn...sc.asp?dlid=100

#13 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Thanks, all! But it's ok, i kinda gave up on that and handed the CD back. It was still fun, though. :=}
So, any idea what Katran meant in that excessively melodramatic note with the Riven combination on it?

#14 User is offline   R1ven 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

Well that really bugs me when you can't complete a game due to technical problems. I abandoned my completion of BEYOND TIME due to terrible game design in combination with technical problems. I hate feeling like a quitter, but sometimes things just get too frustrating to even try wasting your time anymore to continue.

#15 User is offline   prutger 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

Catherine's note I don't understand either.

What happens when you give him the page:
Click to reveal hidden content
He thanks you, links to Myst (with the now-completed linking book), destroys the red and blue books and offers you Myst Island to explore furthermore (which is pointless because you went everywhere). In the library however there now appears another book in which the code is written which leads to Rime. That's pretty much all there is, if I remember correctly.

#16 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

Catherine's note actually says:

It is real. The work
of your hands, the
touch of my dreams.

I've left my
dream for you
(picture of crystal combination)

I'm only yours,
Catherine

(Courtesy D'ni Desk Reference)

Broken down it means: The crystal viewer does work, Atrus' engineering skills and scientific and Catherine's out-of-the-box thinking/dreaming made it happen. Her dream is the picture of the crystals and their appropriate combination and colour sequence. And the I'm only yours is pretty apparent.
Hope it helps :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users