MYSTcommunity: skipping exile - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

skipping exile

#1 User is offline   rabcarl 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

Would I be missing anything storywise if I skipped exile and went straight to playing Revelation? I think I know the basics of what happens in exile anyways because I started playing it a long time ago, but I never finished it, and now sadly I don't own it anymore.

#2 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

Exile's basically a side trip from the main story. I don't think skipping it would affect enjoyment of the following games.

#3 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

No, it really wouldn't make any difference. You learn more about how depraved and insane Sirrus and Achenar were, and you meet Yeesha, Atrus and Catherine's new daughter, but that's about it. Knowing how insane the brothers were helps you understand them a little better in Revelation though. The first Myst game I ever played was Revelation, and having no previous knowledge didn't affect me much. The storyline of Exile wasn't even written by the people who wrote Myst.

#4 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

View Postahrotahntee5, on May 30 2008, 12:07 PM, said:

The storyline of Exile wasn't even written by the people who wrote Myst.

Neither was Revelation.

#5 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

You also learn a bit about Releeshahn, which comes into play in Myst V - which is even *more* of a side trip than Exile. :saavy:

#6 User is offline   Talashar 

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

View PostMystress, on May 31 2008, 05:17 PM, said:

You also learn a bit about Releeshahn, which comes into play in Myst V - which is even *more* of a side trip than Exile. :saavy:

Well, that depends what you consider to be the main story, I suppose. Anyway, I would argue that everything regarding pre-established characters is the same at the end of Exile as it is in the beginning, but this is certainly not the case for End of Ages.

#7 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

You'll be missing some great music, the best in the series, IMHO, but you'll also be missing the easiest game in the series (IMHO). Still, I've never heard of anyone who didn't like the story and enjoy the game.

Atrus apparently rewrote Catherine after RIVEN and everybody likes the previous version better but the antagonist in the game is very popular.

Play it. You'll enjoy it.

#8 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

I personally didn't like Riven that much: the music sounded almost the same in every location, there wasn't a whole lot of variety to the ages, and need I mention the whole concept of hopping from one island to the next in order to solve just *one puzzle*? The story, however, was good and the characters were memorable, so that makes up for the majority of the problems with Riven.

This is, however, only my opinion, and this is an Exile thread, not a Riven thread... :saavy:

#9 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

View Postolddude, on Jun 4 2008, 08:39 AM, said:

You'll be missing some great music, the best in the series, IMHO, but you'll also be missing the easiest game in the series (IMHO). Still, I've never heard of anyone who didn't like the story and enjoy the game.

Atrus apparently rewrote Catherine after RIVEN and everybody likes the previous version better but the antagonist in the game is very popular.

Play it. You'll enjoy it.

Vote #2 for Best Music in the series, which makes it great. And it probably is one of the easiest...except for maybe Myst of course. But whatever if you have to skip it...fine.

View PostMystress, on Jun 4 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

I personally didn't like Riven that much: the music sounded almost the same in every location, there wasn't a whole lot of variety to the ages, and need I mention the whole concept of hopping from one island to the next in order to solve just *one puzzle*? The story, however, was good and the characters were memorable, so that makes up for the majority of the problems with Riven.

This is, however, only my opinion, and this is an Exile thread, not a Riven thread... :saavy:

That last line was probably the truest statement EVER.

(Sig Invasion Score: 4)

#10 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

In my opinion...

View Postolddude, on Jun 4 2008, 05:39 AM, said:

...the easiest game in the series (IMHO). Still, I've never heard of anyone who didn't like the story and enjoy the game...

View Postaander91, on Jun 4 2008, 11:59 AM, said:

...one of the easiest...except for maybe Myst of course...
??? EXILE the easiest game? What about EoA? That was easy. Against Riven, or Revelation, yes, it is easier (except for the ending. Riven's is super easy (ditto Rev). Exile's is the hardest in the whole series).

Anyway,
Plotwise, nothing much is changed in Exile. You do get to see the horrendous things Sirrus & Achenar did, but you can just go back through MYST for that. You get to see Yeesha, but she is just a baby. Exile would help you in the little bit of Tomahna that is filled with Exile memories. It is not essential though. It is mostly nostalgia for Exile fans. Exile also lets you see why Atrus is so paranoid about his books.

#11 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

Haven't played EOA. A you mean endings, right? (Riven is DEFINITELY tough.)

#12 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

View Postaander91, on Jun 4 2008, 02:53 PM, said:

Haven't played EOA. A you mean endings, right? (Riven is DEFINITELY tough.)

Totally going off topic because he doesn't know exactly what Alexaander is talking about.

Game - Puzzle Difficulty - End Choice Difficulty
Myst - 5 - 3
Riven - 8 - 1
Exile - 6 - 10
Revelation - 10 - 4
EoA - 1 - 3
URU - 7 -0

#13 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

Okay, cool got ya. (That's what I was saying :saavy:)

One change...

Revelation - Tomahna 8+ Spire 9+ Haven 10+ Serenia 25=
52 - 2 (Obvious...)

#14 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Jun 4 2008, 05:48 PM, said:

??? EXILE the easiest game? What about EoA? That was easy. Against Riven, or Revelation, yes, it is easier (except for the ending. Riven's is super easy (ditto Rev). Exile's is the hardest in the whole series).

EXILE was the easiest for me. I breezed through it with no problems. Felt a little cheated in fact.

RIVEN was easy too But I did get stuck in one spot.

Click to reveal hidden content
Failed to close a door behind me. (if you know you're being watched, cover your tracks, idiot!)

Got stuck for a lengthy time in Todelmer in EoA too.

Just proves people's minds work differently

#15 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

You win MYSTpoints for that. :saavy:

#16 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

View Postolddude, on Jun 4 2008, 03:22 PM, said:

Failed to close a door behind me. (if you know you're being watched, cover your tracks, idiot!)

I did that too. Was it
the one in the crater leading to the kinetoscope thing?

View Postolddude, on Jun 4 2008, 03:22 PM, said:

Got stuck for a lengthy time in Todelmer in EoA too.
Yeah. Todelmer is tough.

EoA
Age - Puzzle Difficulty (not measured in the same units as above)
Todelmer -9
Laki'ahn -3
Noloben - 2
Taghira - 2

#17 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Now, there are a few things I've come to expect from the Myst games, but the biggest thing for me is that it has to feel *just* surreal enough to make me wonder without feeling too far-fetched. I want a dream-like quality that makes a very different thing feel strangely familiar. I also look for how hard the puzzles are - are they hard enough to make me sweat *without* being impossible? That's a hard balance to get. I also want coherence and emotion - does the story make sense, and is it compelling? Does it sacrifice one quality for another in order to fit a set path, or does it set its own path?

We can't really rate Myst - it's the series standard. It's the game that started it all, so it can't really be questioned. I did get quite stuck in Myst, mainly in Selenitic and Stoneship, but the sheer concept and idea of the ages made up for that. It felt real yet surreal - like a great dream that I didn't want to end, like an adventure that really made me want to wonder about what things a good imagination could come up with. It wasn't difficult, but it wasn't easy, either, and that combined with the blending of strange-yet-familiarism really made me fall in love with the series.

Riven... what can I say about Riven? Yes, I liked it. I loved it, and I still do. The realism was beautifully done, and the plot was compelling and really hit home for me. I think, however, the realism is the problem - it felt *too* real and not surreal enough. I mean, with Myst, things almost never did what they were supposed to do. With Riven, a sub is a sub, a secret door is a secret door, and the gun-like Heek is obviously some sort of shooting weapon. There wasn't a sense of quirkiness to the world, and without enough of that odd different-yet-familiar sense, the game fell flat for me. Sure, they made up for it with the odd plants and very different culture (which is why Jungle Island is my favorite place on Riven), and they tried to add in machines that looked steampunk and strange, but it didn't really feel... surreal enough to feel quite Myst enough. That may be, however, because it's Riven and not Myst. Still, it is a very good game that makes up for the lack of surrealistic quality with beautiful, realistic worlds and great acting.

Exile was very easy in comparison to the other games, especially Riven and Revelation. I did have a few issues in Amateria and Edanna, though, and Voltaic felt so Riven-like it was almost impossible for me to like it. However, it did have an interesting plot and backstory, one that I really liked, and it also had a very different, dreamlike, dark feel to it that seemed to be missing from Riven and Myst. I really liked the more garish and imaginative - some might call it 'plastic' - feel to the worlds. It felt almost as if I had been sucked into a strange nightmare dream where nothing felt stable or real, a brilliant reflection of Saavedro's mental state. I don't know about you guys, but I really liked that - it really made everything feel more urgent and frightening. In my opinion, Exile was the high point of the Myst series, although I do agree that it wasn't exactly *crucial* to the plot of Atrus and his family.

Revelation gave me issues at the tail-end of Haven and most of Spire. I mean, come on, Sirrus... I realize you're a math whiz and 'uber-genius', but my mind does *not* work that way. The pointless ancestor puzzle in Dream made me want to tear my hair out, only to have the memory-matching puzzle in the second visit to Dream be so easy that a five-year-old could do it? Seriously, mate: What... the... Squee? It had the whimsy and surreal aspect, but it went too far with Serenia and pushed it into magic and innocence. For me, Revelation's where the series started to go downhill - even the beautiful worlds and surprising realism wasn't enough to save it.

EoA was the absolute low point of the series for me, mainly because of the puzzles. I kept getting stuck in Noloben with the
puzzle where you have to make the Bahro stand on the pressure plate so you can open the door to Esher's torture palace thingy
and the
other puzzle where you have to turn the stones to open the right windows in the stone dome
. I also got *very* stuck in Todelmer and had no idea of what I was supposed to do in Laki'ahn, and at that point I was so bored with the game that I cheated my way through the rest of it, and I've hated the game ever since. It sacrificed coherence and wonder for history, and that is too bad of a crime for me to forgive.

#18 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

dream-like quality

I'm glad you've learned your lesson. :saavy:

I honestly only thought Spire was hard the first time I did it. The second time...it was just brilliant. It wasn't stupid for me. (Unlike. Dream...:D)

#19 User is offline   Talashar 

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

View PostMystress, on Jun 5 2008, 05:40 PM, said:

It sacrificed coherence and wonder for history, and that is too bad of a crime for me to forgive.

Unfortunately, we didn't get a whole lot of history out of it either. From what I understand, much was sacrificed for speed of production. I see the same flaw, I think, in Uru Live 2007. :saavy:

The easiest game for me was End of Ages; the hardest was Uru thanks to a couple puzzles that I regard to this day as being utterly opaque without hints, not to mention the torturous physical puzzles. (Uru is my favorite, nevertheless: I find that its atmosphere of archaeological discovery tinged with a darkly mystical element outweighs its flaws.)

#20 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:47 PM

And here's the part where I do my uberquoting.

View PostMystress, on Jun 5 2008, 03:40 PM, said:

We can't really rate Myst - it's the series standard. It's the game that started it all, so it can't really be questioned. I did get quite stuck in Myst, mainly in Selenitic and Stoneship, but the sheer concept and idea of the ages made up for that. It felt real yet surreal - like a great dream that I didn't want to end, like an adventure that really made me want to wonder about what things a good imagination could come up with. It wasn't difficult, but it wasn't easy, either, and that combined with the blending of strange-yet-familiarism really made me fall in love with the series.

I actually did not like MYST as much. It had no real sense of adventure for me. (please don't kill me, everyone). It also was sort of random. "Hello, I have this island. I am going to hide books in, well, the sunken ship, the spaceship with a piano, the moving redwood tree, and a giant gear. No one will suspect, especially since I've hidden the answers in a big tower." ??? I also disliked Selenitic Age.

Riven... what can I say about Riven? Yes, I liked it. I loved it, and I still do. The realism was beautifully done, and the plot was compelling and really hit home for me. I think, however, the realism is the problem - it felt *too* real and not surreal enough. I mean, with Myst, things almost never did what they were supposed to do. With Riven, a sub is a sub, a secret door is a secret door, and the gun-like Heek is obviously some sort of shooting weapon. There wasn't a sense of quirkiness to the world, and without enough of that odd different-yet-familiar sense, the game fell flat for me. Sure, they made up for it with the odd plants and very different culture (which is why Jungle Island is my favorite place on Riven), and they tried to add in machines that looked steampunk and strange, but it didn't really feel... surreal enough to feel quite Myst enough. That may be, however, because it's Riven and not Myst. Still, it is a very good game that makes up for the lack of surrealistic quality with beautiful, realistic worlds and great acting.
The good thing about RIVEN, was its very complete and detailed plot. The puzzles were integrated seamlessly into the world. It was also beautiful, and had good actors. These, especially Gehn, and the omnipresent feeling of Gehn, added a touch of adventure and urgency.

Exile was very easy in comparison to the other games, especially Riven and Revelation. I did have a few issues in Amateria and Edanna, though, and Voltaic felt so Riven-like it was almost impossible for me to like it. However, it did have an interesting plot and backstory, one that I really liked, and it also had a very different, dreamlike, dark feel to it that seemed to be missing from Riven and Myst. I really liked the more garish and imaginative - some might call it 'plastic' - feel to the worlds. It felt almost as if I had been sucked into a strange nightmare dream where nothing felt stable or real, a brilliant reflection of Saavedro's mental state. I don't know about you guys, but I really liked that - it really made everything feel more urgent and frightening. In my opinion, Exile was the high point of the Myst series, although I do agree that it wasn't exactly *crucial* to the plot of Atrus and his family.
The ages of Exile were definitely the best. The puzzles were not integrated well, but you don't notice it. What you do notice, is the doors slamming shut behind you and making you think Saavy's gonna kill you.

Revelation gave me issues at the tail-end of Haven and most of Spire. I mean, come on, Sirrus... I realize you're a math whiz and 'uber-genius', but my mind does *not* work that way. The pointless ancestor puzzle in Dream made me want to tear my hair out, only to have the memory-matching puzzle in the second visit to Dream be so easy that a five-year-old could do it? Seriously, mate: What... the... Squee? It had the whimsy and surreal aspect, but it went too far with Serenia and pushed it into magic and innocence. For me, Revelation's where the series started to go downhill - even the beautiful worlds and surprising realism wasn't enough to save it.
Revelation was good also. Although I prefer most things in Exile to it, Revelation is so complete. Nothing is missing in Rev. Every single sound, plot, hand motion is there. The detail is really immersive, unlike the roughness of Exile (especially boring Voltaic).

I also got *very* stuck in Todelmer
Welcome to the club.

#21 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

View Postrabcarl, on May 30 2008, 11:20 AM, said:

Would I be missing anything storywise if I skipped exile and went straight to playing Revelation? I think I know the basics of what happens in exile anyways because I started playing it a long time ago, but I never finished it, and now sadly I don't own it anymore.

I skipped Exile without ever having played part of it, actually, and I was able to pick up on everything really quickly, so I'd say you'll be fine. You can always come here if there's something you don't get. :saavy:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users