MYSTcommunity: Sorry for the down time - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Sorry for the down time

#26 User is offline   benb 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:20 PM

OK, here's the story:

In beginning of August, the server was down again for about a week. We had nothing to do with that, this was because the hosting company where the server is placed and rented simply disconnected our server due to an expiring credit card. DannyR pays the server since 6 years, and at some point of course the credit card expires. This happened earlier this year, but the company continued to receive payments several months after the card expired, without a problem. In July, it no longer worked, and the company probably informed chucker per mail. Then, the company entirely disconnected the server - only 7 days (!) after the first notice of a problem. I find that outragous, given that 1) the payment term is monthly, b) people often depend on the server for their business (e.g. in my case), and c) we are good customers since 6 years. Usually, you wait 2-3 *months* before you disconnect, to leave people some time to react, given that customers also have processes (some bureaucratic, some less so). Imagine your phone company disconnects you 7 days after sending you one email (no paper letter) that your bank account / credit card does not have enough balance or is expired - that's unthinkable and destructive. I didn't even notice that the server is down, because I was traveling when this happened, on a conference in Canada. I only noticed because a friend on the conference told me that my mail bounces - imagine my surprise. But it gets even worse (hard to believe it's possible): The hosting company, when I called them from the conference, even refused to speak with me, given that chucker is the official owner. They would not even tell me what is the problem on the first place, why the server is not working. Only when I threatened them with a law suit, they told me that it's due to "payment problems". This is when I informed chucker, and chucker immediately reacted and fixed it by giving his only credit card, temporarily (I couldn't at this time). Danny and chucker later fixed it properly.

Afterward, when called on a related topic, the company again refused to talk with me, even though I authenticated with the correct password. This was not the first incident either: when the harddrive failed a few years ago, something they are responsible for, given that they rent the server, they did very little to help other than putting a new harddrive in. I had to partition and format the harddrive and get the operating system reinstalled myself, remotely, without help. We originally signed up with Rackshack, they got bought by ev1servers, which recently got bought by theplanet. I assume it's due to that that the service went south into almost non-existence and now to impudent levels.

So, we now moved to a new provider.

#27 User is offline   zabacad 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:15265713

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

BTW, FYI, In case you didn't already know: the thread about the transition is here:

http://www.mystcommu...showtopic=31887

(Just trying to be helpful) :arianna:

#28 User is offline   Elf 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

The Book of Gedement isn't working either

#29 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • KI number:196082

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

Aaaand once more I apologize for the downtime today.

#30 User is offline   benb 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

View Postchucker, on Sep 27 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

Aaaand once more I apologize for the downtime today.

This seems to be a hardware problem. I have asked them to replace the RAM (and they did), let's see whether that solves the problem.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users