MYSTcommunity: Can you hear the music yet, father? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Can you hear the music yet, father? The ultimate string instrument...

#1 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

I have tried everything I can think of that might have been indicated by Sirrus' scattered lab notes.

- He speaks of twenty units of power to disrupt rock.
- He mentions a "musical chart" on which two harmonics cause a tremor in the lab (also rock).
- He says, essentially, "maximum power" for Nara.

Click to reveal hidden content

Assuming that the "musical chart" is the sheet of paper held by the statue of Catherine in the cave with the big chair, then there are no combinations that add up to 20. There's 1-0-0, 1-0-1, 1-1-1, 1-1-6, 10-1-6, 10-6-6, 10-10-6, 10-10-4, 10-10-5 and 1-10-5. None of these appear to do anything except violate the ear.

"All the power the keyboard can take" is 36 conductors, divided 12-12-12. That doesn't do anything either.

Finally, there's the mysterious lowest level in that chair lift, where I can change the tension/length of the three cables. That doesn't seem to affect anything either, and none of the lab notes seem to mention these.

I don't want to search for hints because I'd end up reading too much. Can anyone come up with some oblique hint that would nudge me at what I'm missing here? :saavy:

#2 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

Ultimate string instrument?

What do you have to do before you play?

#3 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

I'm not a string player, but I suppose you need to tune it in some fashion. Those frets are marked with a pentagon, a circle, and a hexagon - indicating 5, 0 and 6 perhaps? The shapes don't appear on any of the lab notes, so I need to take them at face value. Still nothing, though.

--

What confuses me most is the way Sirrus refers to "the power from the garden" as if those specific four conductors have a special property. The circuit diagram seemed to indicate that once the power reached the chair, it didn't matter how much of it came from the garden, the docking station, or the other island...

#4 User is offline   Lurker Underground 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:00417445

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

Look for three similar objects (similar to one another, that is). The visible change caused by tightening or loosening the cables is subtle, so you might have to take a closer look at the objects and their immediate surroundings. As an additional hint, the objects can't be made of any of the substances that resonate to the frequencies of the instrument or they would have been destroyed already.
-LU

#5 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Thank you ever so much! I'm off to search; I'll post again if I remain stuck. :saavy:

#6 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:56 AM

(Sorry for the double post)

I'm afraid the "three similar" objects made, presumably, from the flying green stone or from metal (since those are the predominant materials of the age apart from rock, nara and quartz) are proving too tough with an entire age to search.

Do I have to travel very far to see cause and effect?

Edit: Wait a minute. Perhaps I should pay attention to what I'm actually changing...

#7 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

You should have seen flashbacks regarding all of these. And think, they're quite obviously noted. What HAVEN'T you used?

#8 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

Flashbacks on three similar objects I haven't used. I remember these tall crystals sitting in strange sockets all over the age... one of them had blown up its socket next to the lab. But I believe they're made of quartz, and quartz is one of the materials affected...

#9 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

WHOA!

I swear those things didn't glow like that earlier. Have to loosen the cables again to make sure. It already seemed like all of the crystal chutes seemed uncommonly bright.

Edit: Two thirds wrong, one third right, I think. They do glow with those cables loosened, but there's definitely something happening there.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a big crystal sticking out of a circular opening.

Edit: I misremembered that I had seen one on another island, but on the plus side, I finally found out what that weird telescope was good for! =)

Thank you everyone, you've brought me back on the right track!

#10 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

Mh. None of the previous Myst games got you stuck if you couldn't move the cursor fast enough... even the Big Tree was way too slow to be a challenge on Myst island.

And now? I've figured out two of the frequencies, but even if I had the third, I would never be able to enter it before the first slips out again. What gives?

HA! HA! You thought you could trick me, did you Sirrus? You thought I wouldn't notice those extra holes, and that those locks last different times! Gotcha!

Edit: Okay, I've gotten three of them in at once after *LOADS* of practice. On to four.

YES! YES! The trick is to push the knob over the scale quickly, even a moment will suffice to open the lock.

#11 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:48 PM

Great job! You have just beat the 3rd hardest puzzle in the game! (IMO, but I think we all agree on the hardest...)

#12 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:32 AM

To me, the hardest of all ever is that BLEEPING channelling puzzle in BLEEPING Serenia with those BLEEPING twisty little water channels that all look so BLEEPING alike so you can spend BLEEPING DAYS drawing a BLEEPING map of the BLEEPING place... and after weeks, I still didn't get it. I assumed that I had to solve some puzzles in Spire and Haven first.

(What I Did On My Summer Holidays, '06.)

Well, I've finally found that lift I assumed was just broken (or maybe it actually is; I can't get it to work even though the circuit board claims it has power). Then there is that humming switch that claims to redirect electricity to those weird chess pawns, but the chess pawns don't react in any way, though the circuit boards show a change. Perhaps, like the pawn in that static electricity generator, they need to be brought into contact first? But there aren't any other levers!

This will take a while...

#13 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

The lift works. There's just something on it. (This ones a LOT easier than you're making it)

#14 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:23 AM

Well, it was not that I didn't get that; I just completely overlooked the fact that this was an e-guitar, not acoustic.

Meaning that the amplifier could be hooked into something else, and then be used to power up that. Didn't notice until it suddenly got brighter... and brighter...

#15 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

Now I'm sorta lost...did you
Click to reveal hidden content
get rid of the nara sitting on the elevator?

#16 User is offline   Arancaytar 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

Sure, I realized I had to charge one of those "bombs", somehow - but I was flabbergasted as to how to activate those crystal chess pawns. I noticed that the music didn't work when the "chess pawn" switch was flipped, but I didn't notice that I could send power to the chess pawns with the same regulator that had powered the String Instrument before.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users