MYSTcommunity: KAHZEE - MYSTcommunity

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KAHZEE come back when you find the book...

#26 User is offline   Camoudile 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

You win at character descriptions. The dialogue is so perfect I can actually imagine the conversation being real, not something an author made up.

And why do I suspect that this

The truck will move with your every step.

...is a setup for something later?

#27 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

View PostElf, on Aug 23 2008, 11:28 AM, said:

WOW :D That is REALLY good!!!! When does chapter 2 come?!
Thank you. Chapter 2 comes as soon as I have some Chapter 4 started.

View PostKatrAnna, on Aug 23 2008, 03:20 PM, said:

I'll claim this as a birthday present, just a little early. I like it, keep it up!!
Happy birthday (still just a little early). Just for that, the chapter is dedicated to you.

View PostCamoudile, on Aug 23 2008, 03:37 PM, said:

You win at character descriptions. The dialogue is so perfect I can actually imagine the conversation being real, not something an author made up.

And why do I suspect that this...
...is a setup for something later?
Shh... That wasn't supposed to be obvious. :saavy:
And while I did make the dialogue up, the characters are not my invention (except a few of the most minor ones).

#28 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro
  • KI number:14189098

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

Squee! :saavy: Thank you!!

#29 User is offline   mysteria13 

• Douchecanoe Sequestration Expert

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:30 AM

*goes and tinkers with Kahzee* *evil grin*

You know I love it, GLOA. *pokes* Now write more, or LE12 will be even later!

...Actually....hehe...

#30 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

My own editor is threatening me. :saavy: (whatever happened to giving presents?)
You're welcome KatrAnna.

#31 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

There's a girl in my class, I don't know how she spells it, but her name is pronounced Kahzee. :saavy:

#32 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

View PostKatrAnna, on Aug 27 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

There's a girl in my class, I don't know how she spells it, but her name is pronounced Kahzee. :saavy:

:bunny2a: :D :D ;) :) :D
That's creepy. In case you were confused, this story is not about her. :rotflol:

#33 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image
Chapter 2

for the MYSTcommunity Anniversary
Mrs Frabuccio glanced at the clock. 8:03. She pulled out her phone. Contacts - Paul (cell). The phone rang only once, a rare occurrence in the Frabuccio family, before being answered by a breathless Paul. "Hello? Yes, Paul. Where are you?... Uhuh... what? WHAT? It just ran away. I can't. Well, just find your truck. Good. How long do you think? umhum, yeah. Yes. yes."

A strange noise crackled loudly over the connection. The phone beeped once and then: "We're sorry, the number you have dialed cannot be reached. Please hang up the phone."

--------------------------------------------

Paul held it up. "A book. 'MYST'. 'M-Y-S-T'"

"A book? What in the world is a book doing falling out of the sky?"

They both involuntarily looked up. Seeing nothing above but stars, Paul glanced back to the book in his hands. "Maybe it's an advertisement of some sort? Or propaganda?"

"I thought they made propaganda in pamphlets. They can't even spell 'missed'... or 'mist' or whatever."

"Hyeh. Well, maybe it's more efficient this way." He flipped it open. "Whoa. That's weird. It's in a different language. What is this? Hebrew?" He started flipping to the beginning.

"Shouldn't we go see where your truck is?"

"Oh yeah. Here, you take the book."

"Thanks. Oh, it's heavy."

The two teenagers scrambled down the hill. Although unencumbered. Paul had to slow down when his phone rang halfway down the hill. "Mom?... Uh, the truck broke down on the hills. Yeah, well, a book hit the truck and it plunged away. The truck ran away. Something hit it - Yeah. Can you pick us up? Okay, okay. I think Peter just found it..." He turned to Peter. "You found it, Peter? Great. Is it brok--, Sorry. ...What did you say, mom? Oh. Well, the next gas station is in less than three miles, and well..."

As Paul talked, Peter checked the truck briefly and got it back into position. He grabbed the window with his left hand and tucked the book under his right arm.

"...the hill slowed us down. I don't see any more..."

Peter's hold of the heavy book slipped. He grabbed for it and managed to pin it against the side of Paul's truck. Hitting it with his knee, he pushed it onto the hood, where it lazily opened.

"...it should be quicker, say 20 minutes to the station." Paul turned back to Peter. "What, Peter? Oh... It's moving. How'd they do that? It's like - yeah mom. So all I have to pay for gas is..." As Paul spoke, he rubbed the thin page between his fingers. Growing more intrigued, he reached for the swirling image of a strange island.
Then everything changed.

-------------------------------------------

Paul vaguely saw a large gear through the blindingly bright sunlight. Dazed, he squinted and held up a hand to shield his eyes. He was brought out of his befuddlement by a sudden burst of air behind him. Paul turned just in time to see his truck slide and roll over sideways into the water.
He stepped backwards uncertainly. The truck plunged rapidly into the water and then came to an abrupt halt. With a loud creaking, the truck continued its downward descent causing a previously submerged ship to rise out of the water. The truck rested over the aft, and the bow rose high into the air before coming to a slow stop. Something splashed up from the water. "Demasiado! Paul? Are you there?"
"What are you..."
"What just happened?"
Paul shook his head. "I have no idea."
Peter pulled himself out of the water and tried to stand up. Stepping on a can, he lost his balance and fell back in. On his second more cautious attempt, he only stepped on the box of donuts, smashing several of them.
"Cold, cold, cold, cold."
"The water is cold?"
"The water is freezing. Someone needs to make the sea warmer."
"It's cold?" Paul touched the water. "Whoa. It is cold."
Peter sat down and thought. "What time is it?"
"I don't know." Paul pulled out his cell phone. "8:05. Hmm... No bars; I can't call anybody."
"Of course, if you could call for help, this place wouldn't be sadistic enough. Does it do anything else useful?"
"What?"
"Your phone."
"Hyeh. Uh. It plays music. Let's see..." Paul pushed some buttons. He squinted. "I don't remember this."
"What?" asked Peter hopefully.
"Some Untitled file in the music folder. Maybe that's what sucked us here."
Suddenly, music began to play out of the tinny speakers. The simple melody of percussion gradually slowed to a resounding crash.
"Strange synth music brought us here?" Peter asked quizzically.
The music rose again. Short three note arpeggios wove together a hauntingly beautiful song that was only emphasized by the dueling violins. Then, nothing.
------------------------------------------------------------

"That was weird."
"This whole... thing has been weird."
"Well, yeah, you could say that." Peter replied. "So, what else can your phone do?"
"Uh... let's see. It can take pictures and uh... it plays games."
"What games?"
"The cellphone darts demo. It's actually pretty cool. Does yours..."
"I just got dunked in the water. My phone's probably dead."
"That's too bad. You had Verizon."

Peter glanced back at Paul, "Uh? So...?"
"Then we'd have all 'the network' with all those people following us around."
"Yeah." Peter laughed. He paused. "We'd have to feed them, though."
Paul grimaced "We only have, let's see... Some bread, cereal..."
"Cereal? I don't see any. Did it fall into the water?"
"Huh? No. It's right behind you. I pulled it out of the water, so it's somewhat soggy."
Peter reached back. His hand sunk through the side of the box. "Somewhat soggy?"
"Hyeh. Only a little. And we have some donuts, cookies, and pancake mix."
"Do we have anything to drink?"
"The chocolate milk, but I don't see it here."
"Did it fall into the water?... Yes. I see it right there."
Since he was already soaked, Peter jumped in and retrieved the chocolate milk. "uhngg.."
"Something wrong? Need a donut?"
"No. My stomach doesn't feel that good."
"You have horrible timing."

-------------------------------------------------------------
"And that's everything." Paul picked up the bag. "Not too heavy. Lighter than all my books and supplies."
"What do we do with those?"
"They'll need to be moved later too. I don't know if it rains in this place..."
"Well," said Peter, rising from his seat, "If we find..."
A hidden door opened with a squeal. Both teenagers jumped up. Paul dropped his backpack and peered cautiously in. "Stairs... and uh. A room."
"We could put everything there. Or at least all the unnecessary things."
"Yeah. Keep the food and blankets in case something happens. Well... let's go."
Paul fumbled out his flashlight and led the way. Peter grabbed up a textbook and followed.
The stairs led down to a chilly room filled mainly with an eerie glowing cauldron. "This is getting weird."
"Curiouser and curiouser." said Peter, showing no more talent than Paul in mimicking speech.
Paul, meanwhile, pushed the yellow button in the front. The machine buzzed once and displayed a fascinating image.
"Running water?"
"Is it real?"
"I don't know. I'm not touching it. You try."
Paul reached in and felt only a faint warmth coming from the machine. "Nothing there. Some sort of hologram device thing."
Peter put the textbook down and glanced around. "Hey Paul, there's something else here." He read off a note, "Topographical Extrusion Test 40, Marker Switch Diagram 47, and Water Turbulent Pool 67..."
"Well, this must be the water. What do we use the numbers for?"
"I don't know. Uh. Does this? yep. Looks like it." The panel behind the note slid away, revealing two switches on a small screen.
"What were the numbers?"
"You forgot already? Um... uh..."
Peter closed the panel again. "Okay, remember 40,67, 47." He opened the panel and plugged in 47. The panel did nothing. Paul punched the button on the imager again, and it displayed a new image. This one showed a slowly spinning boxlike apparatus. Paul reached in to touch it, but Peter grabbed him back. Paul stepped back and Peter returned to the panel. "What is this one?"
"A square, uh... some mountains now. All grey. Let me try that."
"That's all the numbers."
"Well, let's try other numbers. How about 00?" Nothing happened. "99?" Still nothing. Paul kept punching numbers, each time turning back to punch the button. Peter watched for a few minutes, then started bringing in the rest of the supplies.
"Hey! Peter, come here."
Peter ran down. "You just missed it. Here." Paul pushed the button again. A face appeared, filling up the screen. It was the face of a young woman.
"Atrus, I'm taking the boys to Channelwood. Achenar simply cannot focus on his studies. We should be back soon, but Sirrus will need another shirt, he always ruins one when there are trees to climb. We should be back soon, can't wait to see you again dear. Your Catherine."
"What was that?"
"A message? How did they record it?" Paul looked around the room futily for a recording device. "It would be cool to make one."
Peter listened to the message again, writing it down in the pages of a science textbook between petroleum refining and metallurgy. "your... Catherine... that all?"
"I'm still trying. If you're done."
"Yep."
"Next one then..." Peter left again to bring in the last of the supplies. When he returned, Paul was still plugging in numbers.
"What number are you on?"
"Nine... just that many or so more to go."

"Do you really-"
"Catherine, my love." a man's face appeared, "I have to leave quickly, something terrible has happened. It's hard for me to believe... most of my books have been destroyed. Catherine, it is one of our sons. I suspect Achenar, but I shouldn't leap to conclusions... I'll find him and Sirrus as well. Oh, I should have known better than to have left my library unchecked for so long! Well, I have removed the remaining undamaged books from the library and placed them in their places of protection. You should not have to use the books until I return, but... if you've forgotten the access keys, remember the tower rotation. Oh, and don't worry Catherine, everything will be fine. I'll see you shortly. Oh, and erase this message after you've viewed it just to be safe."
Both teenagers stood still. Paul stirred first, "You can erase messages?"
"Someone didn't erase this one."
"Catherine... the-"
"The same person who recorded the other one. What number was that?"
"68, here."
"Atrus, I'm taking the boys to Channelwood. Achenar simply..."
"I got it already. What's the other one?"
Paul froze. "I don't remember..."
"Demasiado." Peter sighed. "Do you remember around where?"
"Somewhere around ---" Paul turned back and frantically began plugging in numbers. On his third try, the machine lit up again. This time, it showed a young boy.
"Friday. Until I get a new journal, to replace the one my little brother ruined, I'll have to use this. It is on? Oh. Well, nobody knows I'm here. Sirrus is playing with the boat. Father is... writing. Mother is off in D'ni again. Nothing much happened today. I'll record more later, hope I remember the combination..."
"Another one? Wait. Play it again. I have to write it down."
After Peter finished archiving this speech, Paul returned to going through the numbers. "I must have overshot it."
The imager crackled and showed the man again. "Catherine, my love..."

"That's it." said Peter as he began to frantically write down the man's monologue, this time on a sheet of binder paper.

-----------------------------------------------
"So Atrus is their father."
"Must be. Unless there are more people. You didn't find anything of the Sirrus guy while I was toting stuff in, did you?"
"No. Only person mentioned who didn't. Maybe he was too young."
"Maybe. But Atrus, or at least we think he's Atrus, says he might have destroyed some books."
"Unless they had more than two kids. They never mentioned that... Do you think the book we got?"
"It couldn't have been destroyed. We got it."
"But what if he only thought they had been destroyed?"
"True. No. He says he removed the undamaged books. I think some were really damaged. Are we a 'place of protection'?"
Paul snorted. "Obviously not." he yawned through his teeth "I'm tired."
"Me too, what time is it?"
"Hmm..." Paul yawned again and checked his phone "10:21 We should find some place to sleep. And eat. I'm hungry."
"I'm not. I still feel queasy"
"Well, I'll take the bag, since stuff tends to happen unexpectedly here, and we'll find a place to sleep."
Paul lifted up the bag and lead the way out.
"You think everything will be safe here?"
"I hope so. We can't carry it with us."
Peter took one glance back at the supplies. "I just have a bad feeling about this place."

End Chapter 2

#34 User is offline   Elf 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

:arianna: when it ended, Saavedro's NO NO NO NO! played in my head. This is a really awesome story! :D

#35 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

View PostElf, on Sep 22 2008, 02:01 PM, said:

:D when it ended, Saavedro's NO NO NO NO! played in my head. This is a really awesome story! :D

:arianna: I'm glad you liked it. The next chapter should add some more surprises. No Saavedro yelling NO NO NO NO! At least, not yet.

#36 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

I really should update my story, you're making me feel guilty! Sirrusly though, great chapter!!

#37 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Don't feel guilty, just.... update your story? :arianna: Hmm... (wonders if he should drop a hint that one of them drops to his death in the next chapter).

#38 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

*goes and plays with Kahzee a little* I feel badly for being busy! *wince* Yikes LE....

Good as always. Maybe if you emailed me little reminders, because I don't automatically go to GoogleDocs anymore now that I'm out work.

#39 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:51 AM

View PostKatrAnna, on Sep 22 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

you're making me feel guilty!

View Postmysteria13, on Sep 24 2008, 12:38 PM, said:

*goes and plays with Kahzee a little* I feel badly for being busy! *wince*

Oh dear. Kahzee is making everyone feel bad. :arianna: But I'm glad you like it.

#40 Guest_Doahveh_

• Group: Guest

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:14 AM

This is pretty awesome! I'll have to keep my eye on it!

#41 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

View PostDoahveh, on Oct 10 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

This is pretty awesome! I'll have to keep my eye on it!

:arianna: goes off to work on chapter 4...

#42 User is offline   Elf 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

Yay! that means chapter three comes soon! :arianna:

#43 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:45 AM

View PostElf, on Oct 11 2008, 07:29 AM, said:

Yay! that means chapter three comes soon! :D

What's your definition of soon? :D
Sorry everybody, Chapter 4 was a giant monster. In order to get Chapter 3 out, I had to split it into two pieces (interestingly enough, Chapter 4 was originally a part of Chapter 3 that got split the same way). (by the way, why did some of the font turn purple? :arianna: )
Posted Image
Chapter 3
Paul emerged out of the chamber, blinking in the bright light. "It still looks like noon. Does the sun thing here ever move?"
"Oh... the light makes me sleepy."
"I feel jet lagged. Except I haven't flown anywhere. Book lag."
"Yeah. Like sitting in Narita in the afternoon, when for you it's mid-" Peter froze. "Did you hear something?"
"No." Paul listened for a second. "I don't hear anything. You're getting paranoid."
"I'm sure I heard something."
"You're paranoid."
"Okay. I just had to chase a car because a book fell on it from the sky, got pulled to this sadistic island, and thrown into a freezing cold sea underneath a pickup truck. That just might make me a little paranoid."
"Hyeh. Uh... where should we go?"
"Um... well..." Peter walked down the dock and looked around. "Whoa. Hey, there's some big Greek building here. Anything more interesting on your side?"
"Than a classical building? No. There's some foresty stuff. Trees. Wait. I think I see... no."
"What?" Peter jogged back. They both looked into the forest. Nothing happened. "What?"
"I thought I saw something move."
"We could check."
"Yeah."
Paul picked up the bag and dove into the trees. Peter followed him just as quickly, although perturbed by the branches still springing back from Paul's voyage. They got to a clearing next to a brick wall. "Nothing."
"Not nothing. There are butterflies here. And a brick wall thing."
"And the butterflies left all those messages?" Peter paused. "I wouldn't put it past this place."
Paul grunted in agreement. "Well, since we're here anyway, I think there's a wooden building over there. It looks like a place I'd put food and beds."
"Just like an island like this is where I'd put a bunch of giant gears and a sunken ship." Peter muttered. "Hey."
"Yeah?"
"What's behind this wall?"
"Oh, uh. I don't know."
Peter began circling the wall to the left, and Paul to the right, in classic explorer fashion. "There's an opening here." Peter called over his shoulder, not noticing Paul coming up in front of him. "It bends around." Paul noted.
"Oh. Well, uh..."
"There's an opening here."
"Right."
They turned in unison.
"A tree? This island's going to drive me insane."
"It looks like it's growing through this floor." he reached up and felt it. "And it is real."
"And it is real?"
"Or it feels like it. If it's not, it's a really good fake tree. Really tall, too." Paul glanced upward. "Up there would be a safe place."
Peter shivered in his still wet clothes. "Yeah. And you know what safe means? It means you can't get to it. Now how about the whole finding a place to sleep?"
Paul looked reluctantly back at the tree. "Hyeh. All right. The cabin?"
"That way."
The tired duo continued to the cabin. The same boxlike object portrayed in the imager was set right beside the door. "Hey. It's one of those... what was it? Something switching box things."
Peter pulled the paper out of his pocket. "Marker switched. No, switches. Just like it. Got to be. What does it do?"
Paul flipped the switch. Nothing happened. He shrugged. "I've just started the fuse of a bomb somewhere."
They walked in to a brightly lit cabin. "What's that?"

"It looks like a heater. We used to have one in our old house."
"Or its a bomb."
"Or its a bomb. Let's see. Is there a switch?"
"The one out there?"
Paul went outside and flipped the switch back. "Is it any warmer?"
"No."
He flipped the switch again. As there was still no result, he went back inside. Peter was plugging in numbers to a small safe in the wall. "Could a book really fit in there?"
"There's got to be something. People put useful things in safes... It would be a good spot for a book."
"Hyeh. Hmmm.... Maybe they have a small version of the book. Like those pocket Bibles."
"Or a one pager. A scroll."
"Or maybe it opens a secret underground tunnel back to civilization." Paul turned to consider the heater again. "Oh duh. Maybe if I turn the bright red wheel?"
The bright red wheel did not turn the machine on. Neither did flipping the switch and turning the wheel. Neither did Peter's futile plugging in of numbers. He turned back around. "I'm going to get some sleep."
While Peter rolled out the emergency sleeping blanket that Paul had kept in his truck, Paul worked on the heater. After a brief contemplation, which involved hitting both the machine and the nearby tree sculpture, he noticed a small square hole. With a sudden flash of recognition he pulled a lighter out of his backpack. He switched it on and stuck it into the hole, igniting a small fireball inside the machine. Paul leapt up in celebration, accidentally throwing the lighter onto the sleeping Peter. "Whoa. What?"
"Oh sorry. I got the heater to work."
Suddenly a loud crash was heard outside.
"What was that?"
The two teens jumped up and ran out the door. Another crash was heard. "Is this Atrus man a giant?"
While they stood contemplating this, the noise rang out again. They dashed around the cabin back into the forest. In front of them was the great tree, apparently rising out of the ground. "I've... what is it doing?"
Paul stared at it. "That explains the floor. And the wall."
"Yeah. But what explains the tree?"
As if in answer of the question, the tree rose again to show a hidden chamber. "Whoa... how'd... how did they make that?"
"That's a safe place. Maybe there's a way back home."
The tree rose a little more. Now the whole human sized chamber was above ground. "Well?" said Paul, walking into it. "Whoa. This thing jolts hard."
Peter had just managed to catch onto the bottom of the chamber as it began to rise again. In no time it had lifted him high into the air.
"Ooooh dear."
Paul attempted to reach down without falling out of the chamber. Unable to accomplish this, he shrugged. "Hang on tight."
"I think I already knew that."
"Hmm... I wonder how high this tree goes?" Paul could hear Peter grumbling something unintelligible. Wisely assuming from the tone that he would not wish it to be intelligible, he continued his musings.
"There's a beautiful view from here. I can see the open ocean and all the trees below are like little miniature trees. Isn't it a beautiful view, Peter?"
The tree stopped and appeared to have reached its maximum height. "Can you do anything?"
"Um.. I can look out and see the ground so far below me like a painting."
"Okay." Peter snapped, "Enough about the ground. Can you get us back down again?"
Paul looked around the chamber. "There's a button here. Let's see what it does."
The tree fell a notch with such great rapidity that Peter was dislodged. He caught onto the tree in time to slide slowly to the ground only slightly shaken.
"You all right?"
"Yeah. Except - why'd they have to put a concrete floor here?"
"I don't know. I wasn't the architect. Um..." The tree shot down again. "Ah!"
"What?"
"I hit my head." The tree shot down again. "Okay. A little faster now." Paul pushed the button like mad. The tree, feeling his urgency, fell in the same manner. As it came down to ground level, Peter walked towards it. Tripping on his shoelace, he fell into the chamber as it descended back into the ground. Peter moaned. "Demasiado!"
"I wonder if this.."
"You're stuck in a one person elevator in a moving tree halfway underground and you're-"
"Whoa there. Calm down. What if this is meant to bring the tree down so you can reach to the top. One person just has to climb in here and bring it down, while the other waits for the top of the tree to come, then..."
Peter glared at him. "...uh...okay then. Um. Maybe if I push the button again?" The tree fell once more, trapping the two boys underground. "This is officially not cool."
Paul frantically pushed the button again. "It's open! At the bottom."
"What? Oh. Push the button again."
Paul punched the button with all his might. The chamber dropped one more time, opening up to an underground room. "Finally something has gone right."
"Where are we?"
"That's a good question, Peter. How do you suppose I calculate it? Whoa. Another book."
"Good. A... book?!" Peter walked forward and grabbed the book... carefully. "Wait." interjected Paul. "What are we going to do?"
"Go through the book."
"Good. Let's be careful though. Remember where the last book we touched took us? That's right. Here."
"But if this leads home?"
"But if it doesn't... What got us here anyway? Touching the book?"
"Yeah, well, touching the pages. I think. Or maybe the picture?"
"Maybe it's one of those 'have to imagine it'- well, how'd you get here?"
"Bad reflexes."
"Reflexes?"
"I jumped when you disappeared and my hand..."
"Hyeh. Struck the page. Brillantes." Paul chortled. "So it's the page? You're sure?"
"Pretty sure. You were holding the book itself before, and nothing happened."
"Time lapse?"
"We went at about the same times, but I didn't touch it until you had flipped through it some. Unless it works slower on older people."

"Okay. We have the necessary supplies here. Open the book carefully."
Peter complied. The book was written in the same foreign alphabet. He carefully flipped to the first page.
The same video screen was there, this time showing a windmill amidst a small forest. "That's even weirder than here. It doesn't look like a book back."
"Yes, but what if there are people there? Or the book to home is there? There's got to be something, or they wouldn't be so special." Peter slapped his hand down on the book.

"Whoa." Paul started, jumping back as the book fell to the floor. He carefully picked it up and looked at the image. Holding it carefully, he walked back to the elevator with a troubled expression. After a brief struggle he walked back, set the book down, and touched the image.
--------------------------------
Peter glanced around, his eyes not fully adjusted to the dark night. A gush of air told him that Paul had followed. "That was a weird feeling. Why is it dark here?"
"I was about to ask the same question. It was all bright and sunny in the image. I guess they don't show day and night?"
"Kind of peaceful here. Whoa. Except for the frogs. Um... is there a way back?"
"I don't know. Try the windmill? I think it's right there."
The two boys, now exhausted, walked over to the giant windmill. They mounted a short flight of steps and made a few arrangements before falling asleep where they stood.

End Chapter 3

#44 User is offline   Johannes 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:04 AM

LOL "book lag" is a cool expression :]
That's a very good story, it makes my day! Pleeeeeaaaase keep writing :arianna:

#45 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

View PostJohannes, on Oct 26 2008, 01:51 AM, said:

LOL "book lag" is a cool expression :]
That's a very good story, it makes my day! Pleeeeeaaaase keep writing :arianna:

:D I like making people's days.
I liked "book lag" too. It sort of came naturally, since they were talking about jet lag (which is understandable, since I did take them to Myst late at night and didn't want it to be pitch black on Myst island). Then I thought "book lag!" and just had to put it in.

#46 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image
Chapter 4
"What time is it?"
"Noon. No, 12:23."
"Why is it so dark?"
"Because this place doesn't like time."
"Oh yeah. I'm still here."
"Profound. Very profound."
"No. I mean, it isn't a dream."
"That would be bad."
"Why? You like this place?"
"No. But I was driving." Paul paused. "Or, if I wasn't, we fell asleep in the middle of the road."
"Okay. You got me there. That would be worse. I'm hungry."
Paul gestured towards the backpack. Peter rose and reached into it, pulling out a donut. "This is all we have?"
"We have some bread, but not much."
"We're gonna get sick."
"Ya buh."
"How long have you been awake?"
"Since '10:30' I've had a look around and this place is pretty weird."
"You think? What else would it be?"
"Hyeh. If it was normal, I'd start to worry here... All there is is a bunch of trees."
Peter squinted quizzically, "Yeah, it's a forest."
"No. I mean there is nothing but a bunch of trees. No land. Nothing."
"Maybe past some trees."
"We're in the middle of an ocean. Just like the other place. There's nothing for miles."
"Do you think we're on Earth?"
"I don't think so."
----------------------------------
"So what is here?"
"There's a vat of water here. The water seems safe, but I didn't drink it."
"Is there a bathroom?"
"I haven't seen one. Maybe whoever lives here just goes into the ocean. Maybe that's why they all have water to all sides."
"Or the vat. It kind of looks similar."
"Thanks a lot Peter, I was thinking of drinking there."
"Well now you won't think of it. What's the spigot do?"
"Tried that. It turned on the stream of water. I think it does something."
"Anything else?"
"I don't see anything else. I think we should follow the water. You up to a walk?"
"I thought the water was all around."
"No. The water in the pipe."
"oh. Yeah. I'm up to it. I have to go first."
While Peter relieved himself behind the windmill, Paul repacked everything into his backpack and hefted it onto his back.
"I can carry it."
"You sure?" Paul turned around and pulled the backpack off... "Well you can have-" ...and slipped. "-Whoa, whoa, ah!" Flailing for balance, he fell backwards into the water. Peter lunged for the backpack and managed at least to not fall into the water. Instead, he slipped down the stairs in a rather undignified manner. Paul grabbed onto the pathway and pulled himself partway up. "Nyah. That one's got to hurt."
"Yes. It did."
Paul pulled himself fully out of the water. "Well then why did you do it?"
"Because I wanted to go faster."
"Well, since you're so eager we can get going. Hand me the towel." Peter pulled the hand towel out of the backpack and glanced skeptically at it. Paul grabbed it and dried himself as best he could. They walked for a short distance before reaching a fork in the path. "Which way?"
"Why not left?"
They continued for awhile before reaching a gap. On one side was a small mechanism with a lever. Peter grabbed the lever and pulled. Nothing happened. He pulled it again, figuring that some things just take multiple tries. Nothing happened. Paul smacked it and then pulled the lever, still eliciting no response. "I think it needs power."
"Or it's broken. Well, what is it?"
"Looks like a bridge, right? Because the path continues there. Unless this was just a spot to wave hello to people."
"Well then, just jump over. The water's not deep and you've already been in it. Don't look like that, I went in back at the other place."
"Okay then." Paul jumped across, slipped on the path, and fell.
"Ouch."
"These walkways are so slippery. I think it just rained or something."
"So what's over there?"
Paul reconnoitered. "The path goes on to another dead end with another machine. This path takes me to..." his voice faded away, then rose again. "An room of some kind. I think it's an elevator."
"Ooh. Can you-"
"It doesn't work either. There must be a power button somewhere."
"Over there? Or over here?"
"Someplace I can't find. Unless it's up there." Paul gestured vaguely at the lofty canopy, "But it looks like it has to at least start in the windmill."
"Unless the windmill is just a big water pump. I'll check." Peter went back to search.
Paul sat down and pondered. Finally thinking of something, he stood up and walked to the dead end. He paced back to the elevator and down the other path.
"Nothing I can find. Only the water."
"Where does the water go?"
"I think it goes down somewhere... into the path."
"Ya buh. So somewhere there's a switch that will keep the water flowing, sending it here." Paul added, "There's pipes through the paths here, too. I checked."
"Why can't whoever power something the normal way for once?" Peter turned around. "I'll go look for a switch then."
"Wait Peter." "Yes?"
"Don't survival manuals always say to stick together?"
"I don't think the manuals would work here. Aren't you supposed to stay in one spot and fish?"
Paul motioned for Peter to go on. Peter jogged back and followed the piping. "I found a switch!"
He came running back. "Does the... wait. There's another switch?"
"Maybe you've got to turn them all on? Or maybe just all the ones in a line. Maybe there isn't enough power to do it if it isn't for that."
"What?"
"The water pressure. It could be so that they don't lose pressure powering unused things. Turn on all the ones up to here."
Peter shrugged and turned the switch. Paul walked back to the elevator. "You done?"
"Yes." Paul walked in and pulled the lever. Nothing happened. "Are there any other switches?"
"What? I can't hear you, Paul." Paul opened the elevator door "Are there any other switches?"
"Well, maybe this one." Peter pulled the lever at the gap. Slowly, a bridge rose out of the water between the two pathways. "Now that would have been handy to have before."
"Yeah, 'just jump over', right."
"Does the elevator work now?"
"You go check. Just walk in, close the door, and pull the little lever on your right."
Peter went over and tested the elevator. Finding it still nonoperational, he explored the other dead end pathway. Pulling the lever there extended a long pipe out to the other side. "There's another pipe."
"Ahh." Paul groaned. "I knew it. I knew they had to make this a puzzle."
"But why? Why is it a puzzle?"
Paul paused and thought. "Maybe its a new form of IQ test."
"Some millionaire's weird desire to see how smart people are... So, what are we doing now?"
"Don't you see? That pipe goes over there."
"Well that's obvious."
"So you have to divert the water over to that pipe, and it will power the elevator."
"What's up the elevator?"
"I don't know."
"Well then. You go over, you're better at these types of puzzles."
Paul took a few seconds to examine his situation before flipping some switches. "Does it work?"
Peter tested the elevator. "No."
"What? It should work. All the switches are on between here and the windmill."
"Maybe there's something else you have to do?"
"Unless..." Paul groaned and went back to check the switches. "I didn't close these ones. Okay, it should work now."
Peter walked back into the elevator. Finding it still nonoperational, he relayed this information back to Paul. "It should... wait, I have another idea."
"Hopefully this one works better." Peter mumbled. Paul ran back to the switches.
"Does it work now?"
Peter walked slowly into the elevator and pulled the lever. Within seconds he was high into the air. He opened the door into a small chamber with a book. Seeing it was not bolted down, he picked it up and went back into the elevator. "I hope this also goes down..." Fortunately for Peter, the elevator did go down, at least partway. "What?"
"Oh, whoops. Let me adjust this back..." The elevator continued its descent. "What was that all about?"
"Oh sorry, I accidentally adjusted a switch that was kind of important."
"What are you doing?"
"There's another elevator, so I want to see if I where it goes to."
"I got a book already. It looks like yet another strange place."
"Hmm... Could it be Earth?"
"I don't know. I think it is indoors."
"That would make it harder... There's still a lot more stuff here. This place could be the safe place for the books. Maybe there are more."
"Well, we can carry this around with us as long as we don't fall into the water again. Here, put it in the bag with the rest of them."
"Okay then, the other elevator is over, oh this place makes me dizzy, here, here it is."
Paul walked into the elevator and pulled the lever. Peter closed the door on him just as the elevator began to rise. "Send it back down so I can go."
Opening the door, Paul found himself on a thin wooden bridge. He looked around for a switch to send the elevator back down. "I don't think there's a way to send it down alone."
"Well then just hit the lever on the inside and jump out." Paul leaned in and hit the switch. He just had time to get out before the elevator started its descent. The still open door was forced against the path until the rotten wood shattered into pieces. Then the elevator slid down easily. Peter stared dumbly at the wreckage. "It will still hold. I think."
"Nice vote of confidence there. Well, I'll try it." Peter walked in the entrance of the elevator and kicked out some debris. Paul picked up some of the debris left on the path and threw them into the water. When he turned back Peter was still on the ground. "Is it not working?"
The elevator shot up. "It's working. Oh-h. This part looks bigger than down there."
"And confusing."
"Yeah. That too. Now where are we supposed to go now, Paul?"
"Um... Somewhere. Search the huts. Try not to fall to our deaths."
"Good idea."
"One of us stays here with the bag, here or in the nearest hut, and the other goes off and looks for hidden books or stuff."
"And who is going to go off?"
"You."
"I thought so."
"Well, I have the bag. I think I'll go to the hut, though." Paul added as the pathway shook in a high wind, "I think it would hurt to fall from here."
--------------------------------
"I think I found something - oh no, just some broken furniture." Peter looked up, "Hey, there's a weird building. No, it's a staircase."
"Maybe it works better than the elevator."
"How can it not?" Peter shot back, "Will it mug me and then fall apart?" He walked briskly towards the staircase only to find that he was going the wrong way. Whatever he said then was too faint for Paul to hear.
"Demasiado!"
"What?" Paul asked
"There's a gate up. It's locked, although I don't think I have to tell you that."
"Does it need to be powered too?"
"Oh, probably. You're next to the elevator. Go down and fix it."
Paul tentatively walked over the platform to the broken elevator. "Uh, should you take the bag?"
"Why? You'll be safer down there than up here."
Paul stepped into the elevator and kicked out most of the debris. He flipped the lever, dropping the elevator half of the way down. It shuddered, obviously stuck on something, then slowly descended the rest of the way. The elevator made a shrill shrieking noise as it did and he cringed.
He stepped out before it had completely stopped, momentarily losing his balance. He glanced up to look for Peter, but it was too far. The slightly frightening revelation of how high he had been standing, combined with the nerves from the elevator ride, forced him to lean against a nearby tree for support. After a short breather, he walked back to the windmill. He then backtracked, looking for a break in the path. Finding one, he followed it until he saw a staircase. He went back and adjusted the switches accordingly. Upon his return, the door was nonoperational. After checking the pipes twice, and returning to find the door still locked, Paul stepped back. After a brief search of the bag, he found a heavy survival flashlight. After a sweaty minute, the door was open. He put the flashlight back in the bag and walked up the stairs. The sturdier door at the top was easily opened from within. "Peter, you here?"

There was no response.
-----------------------------
End Chapter 4

#47 User is offline   Elf 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

"Someplace I can't find."

:arianna:

#48 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

View PostElf, on Nov 19 2008, 12:52 AM, said:

Bwhaha. That always made me really happy. Someday I'll be a better editor, GLOA. Sorry for being so busy. :D

#49 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:12 AM

YAYZ!!

And the exile quote was definitely tin and possum

#50 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

View PostElf, on Nov 18 2008, 07:52 PM, said:

Would you believe that I had completely set up that joke and not noticed it? It took M13 to find it, and I had to immediately put it in :D

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users