MYSTcommunity: The grid with the different colored marbles - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

The grid with the different colored marbles Help?

#1 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

I got to that part, and didn't know what to do, but then an idea struck me. On the island with the 3d veiwer, I would find all of the domes and which section they were in, then I would go to the sea room where the whale creature tries to attack you (I forgot it's name...) and find what colors coresponded to what islands. So for example, if the red marble was for the forest island, I would place that marble in the section of the dome from that island.

I tried all this, and the result worked. Well, sort of. It was different from all my other tries, but I don't really know what it did. Some smoke shot out from a pipe and the grid was reset. Apart from that I found no difference.

Did I do the puzzle right? And if so, what did the puzzle do?

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

I don't remember much from Riven, so this has few answers.

Okay, the whale creature is called a "whark" or "wahrk".

What did you do "all my other tries"? Did you place all the marbles?

You are sure you know where all the domes are?

You are sure of all the colors?

If you did the puzzle correctly, it powers up the firemarble domes in all the islands. You are then one step away from 233rd Age.

#3 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 19 2008, 05:34 PM, said:

I don't remember much from Riven, so this has few answers.

Okay, the whale creature is called a "whark" or "wahrk".

What did you do "all my other tries"? Did you place all the marbles?

You are sure you know where all the domes are?

You are sure of all the colors?

If you did the puzzle correctly, it powers up the firemarble domes in all the islands. You are then one step away from 233rd Age.

On the other tries I placed the Marbles in random places, because it was just when I first found the puzzle.

Yes. So my idea was right?

Yes. I think. The colors correspond to the 'eye' shaped circles on each of the spinning domes, right?

What are the firemarble domes? And what is the 233 age? I've only been to D'ni, Riven, and some huge tree-like place, where Catherine's friend helped me.

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Nov 19 2008, 02:46 PM, said:

On the other tries I placed the Marbles in random places, because it was just when I first found the puzzle.

Yes. I think. The colors correspond to the 'eye' shaped circles on each of the spinning domes, right?

What are the firemarble domes? And what is the 233 age? I've only been to D'ni, Riven, and some huge tree-like place, where Catherine's friend helped me.

The Firemarble domes are the "spinning domes". Once you unlock them, you'll find out what 233rd Age is.

The colors do correspond to them. You do have to guess for two, I think (one color light is off in the 3D viewer, and you haven't visited one of the domes yet [you'll see why later]).

If changing your guessing on colors doesn't work, then go back and check the coordinates for the domes.

You're idea is right, I think.

#5 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 19 2008, 06:04 PM, said:

View Postpenguindude, on Nov 19 2008, 02:46 PM, said:

The Firemarble domes are the "spinning domes". Once you unlock them, you'll find out what 233rd Age is.

Ok, so in your other post, what did you mean by "power up"? I got all of them to show me the books, but the locks are still there. What else is there for the domes to do but unlock?

Sorry if I'm being ignorant.

#6 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Gehn's books are deficient (due to his lack of proper materials or knowledge on bookmaking) and need to be given power. Without power, they won't link you anywhere.

Don't worry. Riven can be confusing.

#7 User is offline   zabacad 

• rov nee (new person)
  • KI number:15265713

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:55 AM

It's worth pointing out that if you open the "waffle iron" the puzzle gets reset and you get nowhere. Instead, listen for the rumbling / humming noise. (Turn the volume up on you subwoofer and bug your neighbors!)

#8 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

I knew I was forgetting something. That could be your problem.

#9 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

Ok. Thanks you guys for your help.

#10 User is offline   Kahmeh 

• shadow watcher
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

Ahhh I hated that puzzle. Even on replays it would take me several tries to get it right, unless I cheated and looked up the answer. :arianna: As a friend pointed out to me recently, I am total fail as a gamer.

If you still need help, I remember we used to use graph paper to recreate the grid, and then go to the observation tower to mark the exact locations. If you're one square off, it won't work.

#11 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

View PostKahmeh, on Nov 22 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

Ahhh I hated that puzzle. Even on replays it would take me several tries to get it right, unless I cheated and looked up the answer. :arianna: As a friend pointed out to me recently, I am total fail as a gamer.

If you still need help, I remember we used to use graph paper to recreate the grid, and then go to the observation tower to mark the exact locations. If you're one square off, it won't work.

I just took a screenshot and filled the proper spaces with a colored brush tool on Ms Paint.

#12 User is offline   Kahmeh 

• shadow watcher

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Nov 22 2008, 10:16 PM, said:

Ahhh I hated that puzzle. Even on replays it would take me several tries to get it right, unless I cheated and looked up the answer. :D As a friend pointed out to me recently, I am total fail as a gamer.

I just took a screenshot and filled the proper spaces with a colored brush tool on Ms Paint.

Ah that would definitely work. *is oldskool* :arianna: I seem to recall the two biggest issues we had was that for one or two of the marbles, we'd have trouble getting them in the right place. It was hard to tell, I don't remember why. And then of course there was the one color you have to guess, I could never remember the right way round for it.

This makes me want to go play it again, but so far I haven't managed to get any of my games to work on Vista. :/

#13 User is offline   KatrAnna 

• C'ki Bahro
  • KI number:14189098

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

View PostKahmeh, on Nov 22 2008, 11:28 PM, said:

View Postpenguindude, on Nov 22 2008, 10:16 PM, said:

Ahhh I hated that puzzle. Even on replays it would take me several tries to get it right, unless I cheated and looked up the answer. :D As a friend pointed out to me recently, I am total fail as a gamer.

Ah that would definitely work. *is oldskool* :D I seem to recall the two biggest issues we had was that for one or two of the marbles, we'd have trouble getting them in the right place. It was hard to tell, I don't remember why. And then of course there was the one color you have to guess, I could never remember the right way round for it.

This makes me want to go play it again, but so far I haven't managed to get any of my games to work on Vista. :/

It sucks when you pull a walkthrough, and it doesn't have this puzzle right. :arianna: Be very careful, this puzzle has brought many foreheads crashing to the table. (yay, drama!)

And I got Riven to work on Vista, but I'm not sure how...

#14 User is offline   Kahmeh 

• shadow watcher

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

Really? hmmm, well if it can be done, I'll have to figure it out, but I haven't been able to get anything to work, it's very frustrating. :/

#15 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

Is it possible that s/he checked to see that it was reset? That is, that he lifted the grid *after* pressing the white button and hearing the explosion? That's a common mistake, too.

#16 User is offline   PhoenixM 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Nov 19 2008, 06:07 PM, said:

Ok, so in your other post, what did you mean by "power up"? I got all of them to show me the books, but the locks are still there. What else is there for the domes to do but unlock?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, your problem is not only getting the marbles set properly, but also getting the domes themselves open to get at the books in the first place. By "open", I don't just mean no longer spinning and peeled back to show that there's a book inside; I mean completely open, to where you can physically touch and open the book.

As others have indicated, getting the marbles set is what provides power to those linking books. But getting to the books in the first place is accomplished by setting the sliders properly on the domes to the combination that Gehn provides in his workshop journal. Of course, to understand the combination, you must first have figured out the number system halfway decently - although, in point of fact, looking at the combination and trying to relate it to the sliders will give you some needed insights into the D'ni numbering system.

If you have not gotten a dome completely opened and actually touched/opened the book inside, then you're probably putting the cart before the horse in worrying about the marbles.

#17 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

View PostPhoenixM, on Jan 29 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

View Postpenguindude, on Nov 19 2008, 06:07 PM, said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, your problem is not only getting the marbles set properly, but also getting the domes themselves open to get at the books in the first place. By "open", I don't just mean no longer spinning and peeled back to show that there's a book inside; I mean completely open, to where you can physically touch and open the book.

As others have indicated, getting the marbles set is what provides power to those linking books. But getting to the books in the first place is accomplished by setting the sliders properly on the domes to the combination that Gehn provides in his workshop journal. Of course, to understand the combination, you must first have figured out the number system halfway decently - although, in point of fact, looking at the combination and trying to relate it to the sliders will give you some needed insights into the D'ni numbering system.

If you have not gotten a dome completely opened and actually touched/opened the book inside, then you're probably putting the cart before the horse in worrying about the marbles.

Yes, I understand that. The thing is I never got into Ghen's workshop. Of course, now my computer got messed up and when I backed all my files up I forgot to get the Riven saved game, so I have to start over next time I install it.

#18 User is offline   PhoenixM 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Feb 3 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

Yes, I understand that. The thing is I never got into Ghen's workshop. Of course, now my computer got messed up and when I backed all my files up I forgot to get the Riven saved game, so I have to start over next time I install it.

Sorry to hear that.

When you start playing again, you really should make getting into Gehn's workshop on Island 1 a priority. Considering that you've mostly figured out the fire marble puzzle already, and that that's one of the hard parts of the game, finding a route into Gehn's workshop should be a breeze.

#19 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

View PostPhoenixM, on Feb 3 2009, 05:02 PM, said:

View Postpenguindude, on Feb 3 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

Sorry to hear that.

When you start playing again, you really should make getting into Gehn's workshop on Island 1 a priority. Considering that you've mostly figured out the fire marble puzzle already, and that that's one of the hard parts of the game, finding a route into Gehn's workshop should be a breeze.

Wait, Gehn's workshop is the temple-like structure in the rocks, right?

#20 User is offline   PhoenixM 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Feb 3 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

Wait, Gehn's workshop is the temple-like structure in the rocks, right?

I don't know if I'd call it a temple-like structure per se, but we're probably talking about the same place. It's on Island #1, which you get to for the first time via mine cart; it's located up on the crosswalks high in the rocks. These crosswalks pass by one of the entrances to Gehn's workshop (which has to be unlocked from the inside) and then continue on to the Gold Dome on Island #2.

Is that the place you're thinking of? If so, then it's the place that you need to figure out how to break into.

#21 User is offline   Gorobay 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

I think the confusion comes from PhoenixM's calling it Island #1 (because it is on disk #1), even though it is not the first island seen in the game.

#22 User is offline   PhoenixM 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

View PostGorobay, on Feb 3 2009, 07:04 PM, said:

I think the confusion comes from PhoenixM's calling it Island #1 (because it is on disk #1), even though it is not the first island seen in the game.

You're absolutely right; I now realize that what he meant by "temple" was (duh, I'm an idiot) the actual temple on Island #2 (which is, of course, the first island seen in the game).

My apologies; for a decade, I've always thought of the island numbers as corresponding to their disk numbers from the original release of Riven, and hadn't stopped to think that my numbering would be lost on those playing the 10-year Anniversary Edition (or who have copied the data files from all 5 CDs onto their hard drives and made the appropriate configuration changes).

Okay, so in case my last post didn't make it clear enough, the workshop to which I refer is on the island that's on the other side of the mine cart trip, where there's a wood chopper, a furnace, a lake with a three-way valve, a frog-catcher (Ytram-catcher) with a fan above it...

#23 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

No, we were thinking of the same building, but I never found out how to get in. How do you unlock it from the inside? :cheesy:

#24 User is offline   PhoenixM 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Feb 3 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

No, we were thinking of the same building, but I never found out how to get in. How do you unlock it from the inside? :cheesy:

Heh. I gave you two subtle hints already, which I will now make slightly less subtle but put under nested spoiler tags so that you can choose how spoiled you want it:

Click to reveal hidden content

"finding a route into Gehn's workshop should be a breeze"

If that doesn't get you there after a reasonable amount of effort, then proceed to the next hint:

"a frog-catcher (Ytram-catcher) with a fan above it..."

And a third hint, which hopefully you won't need:

There's a power switch outside on the walkway. What does it turn on/off? Does turning off the power to something give you a possible route into his workshop?

#25 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:08 AM

Thanks. I think I can do with just the first hint when I play it. (I didn't read your other post fully, so I don't think I saw the hints in there)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users