MYSTcommunity: Cyan Worlds Declares Myst Online is Now in the Hands of its Fans - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Cyan Worlds Declares Myst Online is Now in the Hands of its Fans

#1 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Tony Fryman, CEO of Cyan Worlds, notified us that he's sending out the following release to the extended Myst Online and Uru family:

Shorah, fans of Cyan,
As you may be aware, Cyan's situation has not improved on the "resources" front. We continue to work on small projects (including "Myst" for the iPhone/iPod Touch), and it looks like we will only be able to concentrate on projects that are fully funded for the foreseeable future...

Read the rest of the article here.

#2 User is offline   Kahmeh 

• shadow watcher

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

Wow! That's truly amazing. I hope it works out. :arianna:

#3 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

I personally hope it does, too - if only for the off chance that we might be able to have free accounts and therefore more players.

#4 User is offline   benb 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Maybe most importantly, the source code of MystOnline, including game, servers and tools, is made available as Open Source, like Linux, Firefox and others.

This allows anybody with software development skills to change the game in *any way they like*, and make it available to others. I don't know who will host the "official" (or most popular) version - to be useful, there needs to be a project management which decides about and aggregates the useful changes and makes them available to normal gamers.

Cyan is not explicit about the resources/data (artwork) etc., whether that is also Open Source or just made available without pay. Not sure whether it matters either, given that people can probably add their own artwork anyways.

#5 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • KI number:196082

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

There will be another announcement with further details, such as the license.

I doubt they'll make the existing content (artwork, etc.) available as open source, but we don't know at this point either way.

#6 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

I'm holding out slim hope for that at this point, Chucker. I'd always hoped they'd make it free, perhaps with a few less features, but free. It's possible that whomever picks up the gauntlet next will allow for that, but I doubt it.

#7 User is offline   benb 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

View Postchucker, on Dec 15 2008, 06:53 PM, said:

I doubt they'll make the existing content (artwork, etc.) available as open source, but we don't know at this point either way.

From what I understood, they'll make the content available for free (as in free beer, not free speech), by providing a public server for use by everybody without pay (nor other requirements, hopefully).
I also read out of the statement that it's possible or they hope the open source community makes it possible to use several (content?) servers at once. That would allow to mix the original content and community-created content in one game. Given the nature of artwork, it shouldn't be hard to create a tree or an avatar from scratch, and add it to a community server.
So, provided all these circumstances are met, I see the artwork as not so critical. (Although it would be nice to have everything open-source, of course.)

I'd be interesting to see where the open-source project for source and artwork would be hosted and who would coordinate the efforts.

#8 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • KI number:196082

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

View Postbenb, on Dec 17 2008, 03:11 AM, said:

From what I understood, they'll make the content available for free (as in free beer, not free speech), by providing a public server for use by everybody without pay (nor other requirements, hopefully).

Yes.

I also read out of the statement that it's possible or they hope the open source community makes it possible to use several (content?) servers at once. That would allow to mix the original content and community-created content in one game. Given the nature of artwork, it shouldn't be hard to create a tree or an avatar from scratch, and add it to a community server.

Yup.

I'd be interesting to see where the open-source project for source and artwork would be hosted and who would coordinate the efforts.

Chogon has said that they're considering Launchpad. He's also mentioned Google Code, but Launchpad is looking more likely. So that would imply bazaar as DVCS.

#9 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

View Postchucker, on Dec 16 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

View Postbenb, on Dec 17 2008, 03:11 AM, said:

Yes.

:cheesy: Yay!

I *so* want links whenever this gets put up...

#10 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

View PostMystress, on Dec 26 2008, 07:41 AM, said:

:cheesy: Yay!

I *so* want links whenever this gets put up...

I highly doubt we wouldn't get links when it is put up.

#11 User is offline   Katran 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

I've had good experiences with fan-created content for other games, so hopefully this will work out. Last time the online game was available I had dial-up and couldn't participate. By the time I had high-speed the online game had been shut down again. I'd really like to be able to put my high-speed internet to good use. :cheesy:

#12 User is offline   Linkbookmaster 

• telahm (guildsman)

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

I think some "real-world" stuff should be thrown in to the story. (The kind of stuff that bridges the gap between real-life and fiction)

I.E. A prop or an item "from" D'ni, like this realistic version of the Myst V Myst Book: http://mystriven.dev...nking-192985119)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users