MYSTcommunity: Finding the right weight - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Finding the right weight

#1 User is offline   darkNES386 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

I tried replying in an old topic, but bumping prevented it so here it goes:

I've beat the game and I had a small amount of help from my younger sister who apparently guessed right on the weight puzzle because I have no clue how she picked what she did. I've come to understand there is a weight viewer back in the study. If this is true then I think this is the only puzzle to ever require you to leave one area to revisit it with knowledge from somewhere else.

Finally, I'm sure this has been brought up: but the physics is wrong for this.

Simple math: Torque or momentum is force x lever arm

lever arm = distance from weight to fulcrum point

Simply put, you want the slide to not move. This means the momentum about the fulcrum must = 0 for no rotation to occur.

However, when you move the fulcrum towards a side... sometimes it appears to make that force greater when in reality decreasing a lever arm distance actually decreases the moment thus requiring a greater force to maintain the level. In other words, you can't solve this problem logically with trial and error or even determine which of the masses are greatest by viewing the results.

Hi... I recently purchased the first three and just beat them all. IV and V are in the mail. I played the first myst when I was much younger. First post.

#2 User is offline   realXCV 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

Here's you tomato:
:cheesy:

I guess you're talking about the libra's lever puzzle in Amateria. The physics are not exactly wrong but you must look at them when the ball is launched.

#3 User is offline   darkNES386 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

View PostrealXCV, on Jan 11 2009, 01:35 AM, said:

Here's you tomato:
:tomato:

I guess you're talking about the libra's lever puzzle in Amateria. The physics are not exactly wrong but you must look at them when the ball is launched.

But I wanted a cookie. I guess I just needed this little rant to address the difficulty of this puzzle. No other puzzle in the game is extensive as this one. Amateria was the first age I visited and I completely beat it before I left. I was so wrapped up with each puzzle I didn't even realize there was a linking book right under my nose until I revisted it later. Having played only the first two myst games I made the assumption all information/clues on puzzles are within the specific age you are "stuck" in.

Has someone rated the difficulty of each puzzle? I would have to say libra's lever puzzle has to be by far one of the hardest. I'm pretty disappointed as I said that someone else solved it for me by mere chance.

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

View PostdarkNES386, on Jan 10 2009, 09:52 PM, said:

I've come to understand there is a weight viewer back in the study. If this is true then I think this is the only puzzle to ever require you to leave one area to revisit it with knowledge from somewhere else.

There is knowledge in the study for a lot of other puzzles. However, most of the other puzzles are easier to solve without needing the clues.

Here's another tomato :cheesy:

#5 User is offline   darkNES386 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

I'm convinced Libra's lever puzzle is the only one that legitimately requires the knowledge from the study to solve properly.

#6 User is offline   Menelmacar 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:02751833

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

[nods]

Well, that and the cuttlefish puzzle in Edanna, I think.

CM

#7 User is offline   Whatever2965 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

View PostMenelmacar, on Jan 12 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

[nods]

Well, that and the cuttlefish puzzle in Edanna, I think.

CM

Actually, my psychology was "If I break the plant with the stingray inside it, something must happen."
And happen it did.

#8 User is offline   PhoenixM 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

View PostdarkNES386, on Jan 11 2009, 10:29 AM, said:

Having played only the first two myst games I made the assumption all information/clues on puzzles are within the specific age you are "stuck" in.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. In Myst, the incredibly helpful map of Channelwood, which shows the location of the switch to open the front gate too, isn't found in Channelwood itself, but rather is back in the Myst library. Similarly, my first time through Myst was on an incredibly old and crappy and dark monitor, and I might not have ever found the hidden rooms in the Mechanical Age if it weren't for the diagrams back in the library on Myst island.

And solving Riven was all about pulling together knowlege from all corners of the game.

View PostdarkNES386, on Jan 11 2009, 10:29 AM, said:

I guess I just needed this little rant to address the difficulty of this puzzle. No other puzzle in the game is extensive as this one.

In many cases, I think that how "hard" or "easy" a puzzle happens to be is more a factor of how we're wired than anything else. Personally, I found this particular puzzle to be very easy; when I found the balance toy in Saavedro's bedroom in J'nanin, I had no doubt that I'd need to understand the density comparison of those three materials for a puzzle later in the game, so I wrote it down and absolutely breezed through it in Amateria. And yet, it took me what felt like forever to figure out what I was supposed to do with the squee in Edanna. In Riven, I didn't find the fire marble puzzle terribly difficult to solve, and yet I spent close to a week trying to figure out how to get to the Moiety Age; meanwhile, I know plenty of people who had exactly the opposite experience.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users