MYSTcommunity: Whoops, too early? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Whoops, too early? calligraphy and early discoveries

#1 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

I had to start EoA again on my laptop (can I import save games? If so, where are the files? ò_o).
Like last time, I was highly confused by the time frame and just who I was supposed to be. Clearly not the Stranger, clearly not my Uru avatar since Yeesha assumes that 'I' know Atrus and the beginning looks suspiciously more like a letter than a random journal entry.
Like last time, I glared at the pointy finger and it pointed right back at me, like I wasn't supposed to care. But I did! :cheesy:
Like last time, I started fiddling with my journal. "Who am I?", I wrote. "Who am I?? Whhhhwaitaminute..."

Posted Image
("Who the heck am I?? [...] :D I think I know who I am")

This is... whoa. I had considered the possibility, in my wildest dreams... even supported it with random hypothesis and facts... but I didn't really think that... you know. Where's that poll for coolest protagonist ever, again?

Forgive the rant, but... whoa.

#2 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hey, that's pretty neat. I never thought of comparing the fonts.

#3 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

I think that Cyan revealed sometime that the guy in Myst V is RAWA, video game player extraordinaire.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch the Making of Myst. :D
:cheesy:

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

View PostShinkansen, on Jan 22 2009, 05:05 PM, said:

I think that Cyan revealed sometime that the guy in Myst V is RAWA, video game player extraordinaire.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch the Making of Myst. :D
:cheesy:

Yes, I believe the in-game character Dr. Watson (who is based off and has the same name as RAWA) in Uru Live said definitively that he was the protagonist in EoA.

#5 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:52 AM

I know who RAWA is, that's why I'm so excited! :cheesy: But I had no way of knowing this from either Uru Live or interviews. I can't remember exactly how it went, but I'm quite sure I also made the "Dr. Watson // RAWA" connection in Uru by myself: since Cyan games and creators were referenced, the homonimy of 'the' D'ni historian and a... D'ni historian was fishy.

Can't wait to finish the games to find out what happened in Uru Live, looks like you guys had lots of fun down there. So curious! On the other hand, I do. Not. Want to finish them, these have been the best gaming months of my life, coming right after three major disappointments in a row. I fear that nothing else will compare for a long, long time.

#6 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Strange. I remember being so annoyed when I was told that the player in EoA was Dr. Watson.

#7 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Jan 23 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

Strange. I remember being so annoyed when I was told that the player in EoA was Dr. Watson.

Well, it's the only Myst game where the player is either not the Stranger, or yourself (URU).

#8 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

View PostShinkansen, on Jan 26 2009, 06:30 PM, said:

Well, it's the only Myst game where the player is either not the Stranger, or yourself (URU).

Theoretically, aren't you the "stranger" in the original (pre-URU) Myst games?

#9 User is offline   Gorobay 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

View PostSonic_light, on Jan 28 2009, 12:35 AM, said:

Only if you lived in New Spain and Mexico in the early 1800s.

#10 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

View PostGorobay, on Jan 28 2009, 06:47 AM, said:

View PostSonic_light, on Jan 28 2009, 12:35 AM, said:

Only if you lived in New Spain and Mexico in the early 1800s.

I love the backstory that we get most of the time, but I really disliked that bit. I always like that about Myst, it was supposed to be surreal and immersive, when yo played it you felt like you were there and you were the one helping out Atrus. Now I keep getting this backstory coming up and wonder why Atrus can't remember names :cheesy:

#11 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

It took a while for me to accept it, but the idea of a blank protagonist appeals to me now... I like to have this character to toy with that's like me as much as I want to but at the same time is someone else entirely. Someone everyone in the fandom can relate to, and yet personal. It's a silent protagonist done right, unlike those sorry excuses for universal archetypes that only seem to include hormone-laden male teenagers.

Besides, anything that was necessary for Uru's storyline to take place is fine by me. :cheesy:

#12 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

View Postlaughingpineapple, on Feb 2 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

It took a while for me to accept it, but the idea of a blank protagonist appeals to me now... I like to have this character to toy with that's like me as much as I want to but at the same time is someone else entirely. Someone everyone in the fandom can relate to, and yet personal. It's a silent protagonist done right, unlike those sorry excuses for universal archetypes that only seem to include hormone-laden male teenagers.

Besides, anything that was necessary for Uru's storyline to take place is fine by me. :cheesy:

Yeah, I like the way you put it. It does seem to work both ways.

And yes, it was really necessary for Uru. I completely understand, but I'm still set in my ways sometimes ;P

#13 User is offline   musicwumusic 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

When I write in my journal in Uru I have that handwriting too. I guess Dr. Watson had an unknown twin...
There are also a lot of sound effects that are reused too, but then again this is all D'ni technology.

In my opinion using logic will only ruin the identity of who "you" actually are in the story. But.... it is also in my opinion that the stranger that existed before and up to Myst IV is the same as Uru and Myst V. Remember that Yeesha can do VERY WIERD things, like link through to the same age but many years away. So I personally believe that somehow, under the Maker's will, I ended up a few hundred years later in Uru and then a few hundred years (?) after that in Myst V.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users