MYSTcommunity: Should I bother with this? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Should I bother with this? Honest opinions

#1 User is offline   Maxine MagicFox 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

I'm sorry, this is probably going to be a little tl;dr, but the basic drift is, I'm wondering if I should hunt down and purchase this game at all.

I've always been a fan of the Myst series and still hail the 3rd game as the greatest while Myst and Riven are tied for second in my heart and aren't far behind the 3rd in my enjoyment. I purchased the collector's edition of Myst III the day it was released on that glorious May 2001 day - which came with soundtrack, walkthrough book, and Squee. And I've played the games so much I have the puzzles memorized... unfortunately.

So, when Revelations was announced, you know I was on top of the news and got it for xmas the year it came out. I found it... flawed... disappointing even. Don't get me wrong, it has its own merit and it's a lovely game but... it doesn't feel like "Myst" to me. I thought "too many people" (I loved the secluded feeling from the other games) and the puzzles, while hard and enjoyable, did not offer any sense of "accomplishment" and varied too much in difficulty: some were impossibly easy while some puzzles were impossibly hard.

I have not purchased Uru, since I fear that there will be a complete loss of that "Myst feeling". But what troubles me more is I was shopping one day in Walmart a year or so ago and discovered there was a Myst 5. Wait... I didn't hear ANYTHING about that. Odd considering how I was on top of both Myst III and IV sites the DAY they launched - so... I was baffled and more than troubled since I fear this also may mean that the game was rushed and just thrown out to appease the fans and put an end to the series.

Can I have your comments please? Should I just stay away and bury myself in my Myst I-III love and forget that Uru and Myst IV and V ever exist? Or should I give Myst V a chance and bother trying to find it. To be honest, I don't want to play it unless I get that Myst-feeling since I don't want my beloved game series to be ruined even more.

I know I'll receive the "just try it and find out for yourself" comments, but, I would like to have everyone else's experiences and take on it to judge for myself.

What gives me a "Myst feeling":
1. GORGEOUS graphics.
2. Seclusion (leave me alone... run back into your homes little Rivens)
3. Immersion
4. Beautiful soundtrack
5. Complicated puzzles (Libra puzzle)
6. Worlds that I can spend hours walking around in and STILL discover new things
7. No RUSH feeling (if there's a timed puzzle, forget it)
8. Science over Fantasy (die Spirit Guides!)
9. A feeling of accomplishment when puzzles are completed (Uhh... no lie, I had to go back to Haven to complete it after I saved the monkey things 'cause I was like "uhh.... did I finish?")
10. Worlds that are impossible yet so plausible

#2 User is offline   realXCV 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

View PostMaxine MagicFox, on Mar 16 2009, 06:57 PM, said:

1. GORGEOUS graphics.
3. Immersion
4. Beautiful soundtrack
6. Worlds that I can spend hours walking around in and STILL discover new things
9. A feeling of accomplishment when puzzles are completed (Uhh... no lie, I had to go back to Haven to complete it after I saved the monkey things 'cause I was like "uhh.... did I finish?")

1. The best graphics are thoses that are prerendered. Uru and Myst V are realtime 3d.
2. You can forget Myst Online.
5. Yes for Uru, no for Myst V
6. Uru (and Myst Online)
7. You will LOVE The Path of the Shell (Uru XP2) :cheesy:
8. Hard to say...
9. Yes.
10. Hmm... yes ?

Conclusion: BUY IT!

#3 User is offline   Maxine MagicFox 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

View PostrealXCV, on Mar 16 2009, 07:24 PM, said:

View PostMaxine MagicFox, on Mar 16 2009, 06:57 PM, said:

1. GORGEOUS graphics.
3. Immersion
4. Beautiful soundtrack

1. The best graphics are thoses that are prerendered. Uru and Myst V are realtime 3d.
2. You can forget Myst Online.
5. Yes for Uru, no for Myst V
6. Uru (and Myst Online)
7. You will LOVE The Path of the Shell (Uru XP2) :cheesy:
8. Hard to say...
9. Yes.
10. Hmm... yes ?

Conclusion: BUY IT!

Your answers seemed ambiguous at best ^_^;
BTW, if the best graphics are those that are pre-rendered, and Myst V is realtime 3d (never heard of, so please elaborate, I don't know much about graphics generating), wouldn't that be a "No"?

#4 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

I liked Myst V, but it was rushed and was more of a follow-up to Uru than the other Myst games. Going through your list:

1. GORGEOUS graphics.

Some parts, yes. Other parts, no.

The game doesn't feel as crowded as Revelation did at times, but there is one character who frequently pops up to act as a sort of guide.

3. Immersion

Absolutely. The great benefit of real-time graphics in this regard is that they allow free movement rather than point-and-click.

4. Beautiful soundtrack

You can find a sample here and see what you think.

The puzzles tend to be on the easier side: for me Myst V took a quarter of the time to finish that Myst IV did.

Again, this is true in parts but other parts are lacking.

There was one timed puzzle, if I remember correctly, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the musical chair in Revelation. I think you just had to press a button, then run to press another --- that kind of thing, and there wasn't a lot of careful thought to it.

Although the game has mystical elements, it feels a lot closer to the original Myst than to the kookiness of Serenia.

Varies.

I'd say that at least one world matches this, but overall the worlds are more "realistic".

#5 User is offline   Maxine MagicFox 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

Thank you Talashar! That was a wonderful post and very helpful - and thanks for the honesty.

@Music link (most helpful): Hrrrm... :\ I didn't really care for the musics on that track.

In your own opinion, do you think I should bother with it? I haven't played, nor have any interest, in Uru whatsoever, so it being a follow-up bothers me even more.

The "easiness" you mentioned bothers me. I beat Myst (I was like 12) in about two or three months, Riven took me about two weeks, Exile was as long as Riven, maybe shorter. Revelations took me only a very disheartening mere three days to complete - even WITH my Haven-error.

What were your own opinions on Myst V?

Also, I guess, a part of me really doesn't want to ride it off simply because it IS a Myst game. The only reason I ride Uru off is because it smacks of "ooh let's get on the MMO-band wagon and screw Myst fans and their opinions." A part of me doesn't want to pass it up and miss a new adventure in the life of Atrus, his family, and the Stranger.

#6 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Overall, I'd say Yes, buy it (if you have the system capable of playing it and can afford it and all, of course). I would not say it is the best Myst title, but it is still very good and a good fun Myst game.

View PostMaxine MagicFox, on Mar 16 2009, 03:57 PM, said:

1. GORGEOUS graphics.

It won't be Riven, but there are some breathtakingly beautiful parts (especially with good graphics cards). There are some areas where you can see the realtime engine (just small spots here and there), but overall it is quite realistic and stunning.

People and bahro occasionally come in, more than other Myst games. However, the majority of the time is completely solitary.

3. Immersion

Many people find the realtime controls to be more immersive than the point and click interface of the other Myst games (and if you like those, you can switch the navigation to that style). The sounds are nicely integrated and it feels like real worlds (like all Myst games).

4. Beautiful soundtrack

It's nice. I actually like it quite a lot (especially Laki'ahn). It's mainly based on your taste for music whether you like it better than the Exile/Revelation, Riven, or Myst style musics. However, you will probably still like it even if you like the other ones better.

Eh, except for Todelmer the puzzles aren't especially hard. Don't expect Riven or Revelation level puzzles.

Probably. There's lots of stuff, free movement navigation... you can explore for a long long time.

No especially timed puzzles. More like how the Treegate puzzle in Myst was timed - simple to reset and with a large margin. There are several puzzles that could be called "timed puzzles", but none that I'd say should bother anybody.

How are you with Sci-Fi? The storyline does have some... strange... parts. To be blunt, there is an alien race that can link differently.

Yeah, mostly. As far as I can think of, you'll know when you accomplish stuff.

Definitely. This is Cyan we're talking about. So yes, you will absolutely get that.

#7 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Music-wise, Uru has some great stuff... Listen.

#8 User is offline   Maxine MagicFox 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

View Postaander91, on Mar 16 2009, 09:50 PM, said:

Music-wise, Uru has some great stuff... Listen.

Err... I'm not intending this to sound rude so please don't interpret it that way but... I'm not interested in Uru so, whatever music it has I couldn't care less about. ^_^ Do you have something for Myst V, please, since that's the game I'm trying to decide if I wanna give a try?

I saw a youtube video once that was like a fan-made trailer for the whole series. Nicely done trailer, but when it got to the Myst V stuff... the scenes were... aweful and not much was visually stunning about it. It actually looked like a scene from a coloring book.

Edit: I found a demo of the game on a website that I'm going to try. Once I've played through, I'll give my opinions. Hopefully this will help me decide. ^_^

#9 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

and was more of a follow-up to Uru than the other Myst games.

Definitely! I think of the six games as pairs: 1+2, 3+4, Uru+5.

How did the demo go? I can't answer your questions since I'm not even halfway through EoA, but I'm liking it so far. I'm also loving Uru, though, and I'm getting this ineffable 'Myst feeling' from it more than from Revelation, or even Exile. To each their own, I guess.

#10 User is offline   Maxine MagicFox 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Why do game creators feel that they have a right to make games on the highest powered computer using these great fantastic graphics cards and all the latest technology KNOWING that many/most of their target marketing audience is NOT going to have them. Why the heck must a game that's several years old be LAGGING on a laptop that's only two years old.

In short: I put everything down at the lowest possible setting but the game lagged so bad that it was impossible to even get my camera to move around.

:cheesy: *goes into a little corner to cry* I was really hoping to give this a chance.

#11 User is offline   Cocovanna 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:17 AM

I do not believe it is a performance issue. I've run it at a 4 year old desktop, which certainly not was built with performance as priority ... and it performs without a glitch at best settings. I think you've got some sort of compatibility problem

Cocovanna

#12 User is offline   musicwumusic 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Poor Maxine :cheesy: .... I guess I was lucky I didn't get Myst V until now... new compy runs it perfectly :D

I think a new computer is worth looking into (not just for Myst :D ).

#13 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

As a brand new player to the entire series, I might not have as much to offer by way of opinion, but although still a good game, I found Myst V the most disappointing and least Myst-like, but then I DID absolutely love Revelation, so it could be that we like different things!

Things I liked about Myst V...
  • Freedom to move properly in a 3D environment (though to a degree this feels more like an illusion because we still point-and-click to specific spots)
  • Todelmer is a fantastic Age (though the toughest to complete) and a total exception to the remark about graphics I've made below
  • The 'tablet' idea is brilliant
  • I found I wasn't needing a walkthrough for every single stage of the game this time(!)
  • The 'wrong' endings are great!

Things I didn't like so much...
  • It seemed more cartoony than Myst II, III and IV. I don't know whether I'm being fair here, but I had become used to real actors and not pixel-people. They're well done, but it felt like a step back from what had gone before. The environments seemed a bit more cartoony too (similar to Uru graphics in style). Nicely done for sure, but different from the previous titles, I felt, and less realistic. Todelmer was awesome though - not cartoony at all.
  • Compared to Revelation, I felt there was much less to explore or do, and a lot less was needed in order to complete an Age. This made the game feel shorter and simpler than the previous titles.
  • For me, too much character interaction - I felt like I was spending a huge amount of time listening to lots and lots of dialog
  • I wasn't too keen on the whole thing with the Bharo - interacting with alien forms seemed to take the game away from the original storyline (but that's just my 'novice' opinion).

I still enjoyed it, and I think it's certainly worth playing just to round off the series, but it's probably my least favourite of the Myst I - V series.

#14 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

View PostBad Whippet, on Apr 14 2009, 09:19 AM, said:

Freedom to move properly in a 3D environment (though to a degree this feels more like an illusion because we still point-and-click to specific spots)

You can change the controls to Uru-like controls if you want.

For me, too much character interaction - I felt like I was spending a huge amount of time listening to lots and lots of dialog Esher.

#15 User is offline   musicwumusic 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

View PostBad Whippet, on Apr 14 2009, 12:19 PM, said:

Things I didn't like so much...
  • It seemed more cartoony than Myst II, III and IV. I don't know whether I'm being fair here, but I had become used to real actors and not pixel-people. They're well done, but it felt like a step back from what had gone before. The environments seemed a bit more cartoony too (similar to Uru graphics in style). Nicely done for sure, but different from the previous titles, I felt, and less realistic. Todelmer was awesome though - not cartoony at all.
  • Compared to Revelation, I felt there was much less to explore or do, and a lot less was needed in order to complete an Age. This made the game feel shorter and simpler than the previous titles.
  • For me, too much character interaction - I felt like I was spending a huge amount of time listening to lots and lots of dialog
  • I wasn't too keen on the whole thing with the Bharo - interacting with alien forms seemed to take the game away from the original storyline (but that's just my 'novice' opinion).
I think it would be extremely hard to create a completely three-dimensional movie of real footage. Is that even possible? Like I've seen 3D animation of course, but how do you take the imax screen and make it 3D without 3D glasses?

Myst V was shorter by far. But the Bahro and the Tablet and Yeesha's failure in connection with The Fall really spoke to me. You could say I'm passionate about Myst V :D

I felt the interaction was okay. But I also wonder what would I have done if Esher was not there... Would I be able to solve the puzzles at all? But it was satisfying to see him like that in the good ending... :tomato:

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Apr 14 2009, 12:59 PM, said:

View PostBad Whippet, on Apr 14 2009, 09:19 AM, said:

Freedom to move properly in a 3D environment (though to a degree this feels more like an illusion because we still point-and-click to specific spots)

You can change the controls to Uru-like controls if you want.

For me, too much character interaction - I felt like I was spending a huge amount of time listening to lots and lots of dialog Esher.

dialog Esher
:D :rotflol: :squee:

How does point-and-click differ from real life? If we want to press a button, we "point and push" it. It's the same thing I would say... And it's not illusionary to me, especially in Noloben where I can turn the boulders while standing in front of them, and I can turn the boulders while standing behind them, and....

In my opinion Myst V is a great addition to the Myst series. The 3D characters were very real to me, much realer than Uru. The story lacked a beginning... but it had a nice ending... But of course many of the things I found immersive would never be without my vast imagination and acceptance of that which cannot be. So I think I would only try this if you can fill in the blanks for strong inconsistencies... :cheesy:

#16 User is offline   SolarSurfer 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:27 PM

I I were you I'd play it because if you've played the other 4 a nagging curiosity will overcome you eventually so I'd just give in now and get it over with. You might like it though I doubt you'll love it, but if you're like most people here you'll probably hate it. I personally thought it was just ok, not awful, just not very good.

As for your criteria:
1. GORGEOUS graphics. - I wouldn't say gorgeous, I'd say it's the lower end of what was standard for 2003… (the game was released in 2005) The graphics aren't too bad though, but if you're expecting something that rivals Revelation you're going to be sorely disappointed.

2. Seclusion (leave me alone... run back into your homes little Rivens) - So-so, you have a goggled stalker through most of the game, and there are sentient (though non-speaking) creatures that lurk about

3. Immersion - meh, I didn't feel very immersed, for me it was more of a "lets get this over and done with" feeling

4. Beautiful soundtrack - again, meh. It's ok, but it doesn't hold a candle to Robyn Miller or Jack Wall's scores.

5. Complicated puzzles (Libra puzzle) - not really, there's one tricky age, but everything else is fairly straightforward "Oh look, the clue's right there, and oh look, there's the puzzle! This is gonna take me all of 3 minutes to figure out."

6. Worlds that I can spend hours walking around in and STILL discover new things - No, not really no. You'll see everything there is to see on pretty much you're first glance at an age.

7. No RUSH feeling (if there's a timed puzzle, forget it) - No rush, it has a relaxed pace.

8. Science over Fantasy (die Spirit Guides!) - More or less, there's them sentient critters again and guess what? Theys magic (slaps self for red neck talk :cheesy: that works too)

9. A feeling of accomplishment when puzzles are completed (Uhh... no lie, I had to go back to Haven to complete it after I saved the monkey things 'cause I was like "uhh.... did I finish?") - Yeah, though the end for me was anti-climatic.

10. Worlds that are impossible yet so plausible - Yeah, there are.

Overall for me this game was just kinda bland, I thought it could have been much better and was rather disappointed that it ended like this. To me it did not feel like a Myst game and from everything I've heard apparently it should have been titled Uru II. But it was better than Revelation, I will give it that much credit. In the end it just felt like wasted potential.

#17 User is offline   musicwumusic 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

I guess authors lose motivation when their fans seem to lose interest. :cheesy:

Wasn't it also hurried in its production? Only over a year?

http://riven.patchal...m/riven_fs.html
I just found that.
Riven took four years to make, apparently. I think Riven was best because of the amount of human input into all the images... I don't think that has happened with the other games.

#18 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Myst and Riven took a while... I believe Exile took around two to three years, Revelation around three to four, and EoA only one, but I'm not quite sure here... could someone verify?

As for your criteria:

1. GORGEOUS graphics. - Well... Meh. In some spots, they were amazing, but in others...

2. Seclusion (leave me alone... run back into your homes little Rivens) - There's one guy who pops up as a guide throughout and the sentient but silent Bahro that you have to manipulate with tablets, but otherwise, no humans.

3. Immersion - The 'immersion', even in the Myst-like form of movement, made me nauseous. It doesn't feel quite real - you can tell that the worlds are rendered and not as detailed as, say, Exile or Riven. Real-time adds volumes for immersion, but it feels very fake because you still need to click.

4. Beautiful soundtrack - Um, no. It's extremely bland in spots (Laki'ahn trumpet solos...), it feels basic, and it's in general not as mysterious as Riven, as sweeping as Exile or Revelation, or as wonder-inducing as Myst. In short, it would have been better if there weren't a soundtrack at all.

5. Complicated puzzles (Libra puzzle) - complicated? The puzzles in this game are very simple - you get a clue immediately, then the puzzle's no more than three feet away. Some say Exile's puzzles are simple - End of Ages' puzzles are even worse. Don't expect Riven-level or even Myst-level puzzles here. The tablet puzzles are so buggy; if you draw one tiny thing wrong the game will not read it right - but sometimes, you can scrawl any old tripe on the tablet and it reads it like a symbol. A complete mess.

6. Worlds that I can spend hours walking around in and STILL discover new things - So-so. The real-time adds a lot of exploration potential, but this is often wasted because everywhere you need to go is pretty much the same as everywhere else in the age. So, not a lot of exploration potential, but the good moments are worth it.

7. No RUSH feeling (if there's a timed puzzle, forget it) - Not rushed at all. There's one (extremely simple) timed puzzle - you don't even need to use the run function - but it's nothing to worry about if you, like me, have a good trigger finger. :D

8. Science over Fantasy (die Spirit Guides!) - Generally, yes, but it splits between the science and fantasy with the Bahro, which can basically link without books and are bound to a 'magical golden tablet' that only you are now able to touch. It's really kind of stupid and doesn't fit in with the Myst feel, in my opinion.

9. A feeling of accomplishment when puzzles are completed (Uhh... no lie, I had to go back to Haven to complete it after I saved the monkey things 'cause I was like "uhh.... did I finish?") - Yes - results are seen almost immediately and don't take too far of a walk to get to, unlike in Riven. The good end feels... rather stale, but the bad endings are spectacular and *still* allow for exploration... along with some very tragic nostalgia.

10. Worlds that are impossible yet so plausible - Of course. :cheesy: This is cyan Worlds, after all... anything, to them, is possible... even the impossible.

My opinion... don't buy this game. Rent this game and play it for the sake of completion, then never bother with it again. It's really not that good, in my opinion - Revelation was better, and I'm not a huge fan of Revelation, either. If you want the experience of the game, go with Uru instead - that's really all Myst V: End of Ages is - a continuation of a spin-off, and it should have bee just that. A sequel to Uru. Uru: End of Ages. Atrus' story really ended with Revelation - they just put Atrus into EoA, in my opinion, so they could slap the 'Myst' title and logo on it and call it the end of the series. It's just not a fitting end to me, and it's sad to see the series end like that. It really, really hurts and is rather offensive to me as a fan.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users