MYSTcommunity: Myst games in Vista & Windows 7 (incl 64-bit) - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Myst games in Vista & Windows 7 (incl 64-bit) For those with a spare PC and who have found the standard fixes have f

#1 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

EDIT: I CANNOT CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD, BUT MOST FIXES HERE WILL APPLY TO NEWER WINDOWS VERSIONS BEYOND VISTA TOO. Read through later posts here where people have added additional tips for Windows 7 etc.

Good Old Games has changed their game catalog links. If any GOG links do not work, use this link: http://www.gog.com/e...es/search/myst/ or go to www.gog.com and search for 'Myst'.

I've had a bit of a battle getting my Myst games to run in Vista 64-bit but have finally succeeded with all of them (even Riven)! However, because the standard fixes wouldn't work (either because I had SP1 or because I was running 64-bit), I wanted to post some additional help for those who have come up against the same barriers, but who have access to another PC with XP installed. First off, here are the results I encountered on first install into Vista Ultimate 64-bit:

Myst I (Masterpiece Edition)
Installed perfectly (incredible how such an old game STILL works). Ran the Quicktime install and that was fine too. There were a few sound problems with the Selenetic Age though - hissing and popping sounds instead of the sounds I should have been hearing. Without giving too much away, this made the Selenetic Age almost impossible to play (go for the Good Old Games version and save yourself the tears and the cheats!)

RealMyst (Interactive 3D Edition)
Installed, but failed to run (see fixes below).

RealMyst (Good Old Games edition: http://www.gog.com/e...ort/search/Myst) - NEW!)
This is a fully patched version rereleased for Windows XP and Vista (32 and 64 bit). It installed perfectly, and no separate Quicktime install required, and moreover no antiquated Indeo plugins required! The Selenitic sound bug is gone. However, it failed to run properly until compatibility settings were changed, but these are easy to change. It also crashed to desktop when DirectSound was ticked in the game's options. Note: once working and set up correctly (see fixes below), this is the BEST version of realMyst for 64-bit machines.

Myst II (Riven - 5CD version for Windows 95)
Failed to install. The installer is 16-bit which simply won't work in Vista 64-bit. There is a patch for Vista 32-bit users, but us 64-bit players are out of luck. IThis older 5-CD version certainly works with fixes below, though expect some crashes. Better still, pay $2.99 for the Good Old Games version (below) whilst it's available.

Myst II (Riven - 10th Anniversary DVD for Windows XP)
Installs beautifully (hoorah - a 32-bit installer compatible with Vista!), but using the accompanying Quicktime on the DVD (QT6.3), those movies simply will not run! See fix below, or better still, pay $2.99 for the Good Old Games version (below) whilst it's available.

Myst II Riven (Good Old Games edition: http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/search/Myst - NEW!)
IT WORKS!!!! A version of Riven that installs in 64-bit, scales correctly on widescreens if you set up this option on your display card's settings, no separate Quicktime install, and does not crash during the movie scenes that typically caused crashes). There is an initial problem (crash to desktop when saving the game, but the fix is simple - see fixes below).

Myst III (Exile)
Installed perfectly, as did Quicktime.

Myst IV (Revelation)
Installed perfectly.

Myst V (End Of Ages)
Installed, but failed to run (gave the infamous stack errors). This problem is due to SP1 in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista. People who have not installed SP1 on Vista are reportedly fine. Windows 7 users also report this fault. See possible fixes below.

URU
Installed perfectly.

FIXES (most fixes are now 'buy the GOG version!')

RealMyst Good Old Games - this is the best edition to go for

This edition of the game is now the patched version which presented problems for people who ran the original version. Two problems surface on initial attempt to start the game: either the book has no movie in it whatsoever (a bad start) or the movie is there and the game starts, but the framerate is so slow and poor that the game is unplayable. BOTH these issues I solved by changing compatibility settings. Both the new realMyst launcher (yellow icon) and the game executable need to be changed. The compatibility settings that work for this version seem to be different to the original realMyst and are as follows:

* run as Windows XP Service Pack 2
* run as Administrator

I also recommend NOT ticking the DirectSound tick-box in realMyst's options. With this ticked, I experienced a never-ending series of crashes to desktop when in the Selenitic Age. Once I'd unticked this box, the game ran flawlessly.

RealMyst Interactive 3D

I recommend doing yourself a BIG favour and dropping $6 at Good Old Games for the new edition!

For anyone who wants to persist with this older version, then my thanks to Binomb for this solution (http://www.mystcommu...showtopic=28043).

1 - Install realMyst from CD. I actually used the maximum install option.

2 - Take a copy of realMyst.exe and put it somewhere safe! Now install the patch v1.11 from Ubisoft ( http://www.ubi.com/U...fo.aspx?dlId=62 ). If like me you find the patch makes your game run cripplingly slow, simply replace the copy you made of realMYST.exe. The game runs fine without the patch.

3 - You might need to download and install the Indeo 5.11 audio codecs (they're old and won't be part of Vista). People who haven't installed the codec seem to report that the game runs incredibly slowly. http://www.free-code...ec_download.htm

4 - If you have a Creative EAX-enabled soundcard such as Audigy or X-Fi, install Creative's ALchemy software. Once installed, run ALchemy, click ADD, enter RealMyst as a title, select 'Use Game Path' and paste the path to your RealMyst game folder. Then use the 'arrow' buttons to move your new entry into the ALchemy-enabled games list. http://connect.creat...my/default.aspx - note there are different versions for Audigy and X-Fi cards.

5 - Modify your compatibility settings (right-click the RealMyst icon and click the 'Compatibility' tab) as follows:
- Window 98 / Windows ME compatibility
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition
- tick 'run as administrator - even if you are running Windows with an administrator account

UPDATE: UNFORTUNATELY, THIS FIX WORKS RANDOMLY. One day, the game will start; another day, it won't (it's due to a programming error in the way the program uses a memory address, apparently). It's surprisingly easy to fix the fault, but not legally, so I can't make available an unofficial patch or provide any links to the solution, but if you search the net, you too should find it. I successfully patched my copy and got the game running without any compatibility settings, though some of the sound was not correct (which proved to be a BIG problem with one of the Ages).

Myst II - Riven 5-CD version Windows 95 - recommendation - seriously, get the Good Old Games edition instead! Only $2.99 rather than beat yourself up with this version!
For 64-bit users, this version of Riven will simply not install - which is a pity because, if installed, it WILL run (with a few crashes here and there). The installer is a 16-bit application which cannot run in 64-bit, and the only patch made for Riven is for 32-bit Vista only. However, if you can possibly arrange for Riven to be installed temporarily on another PC, you can simply copy the entire Riven game folder from that PC to your Vista PC, and Riven will then run perfectly (no installation required) because the wonderful thing about Riven is that it doesn't write anything essential to the Registry. Copying the game folder will be enough. Whilst the game is still in XP or older version of Windows, apply the official Riven_Updater patch from Ubisoft, as this patch won't run in Vista 64-bit either.

After copying the Riven game folder onto your Vista PC, EITHER download and apply the unofficial Riven_Vista patch (even though labelled for 32-bit Windows, it will run in 64-bit too) to give Riven its own Quicktime files (no need to install Quicktime separately).

Finally, in the Riven folder, locate the file 'Mohawk.w32' and open it in a text editor. Locate the line fEnableAudioProxy=true and change true to false.

There are plenty of tales on the net about random lockups and it could be that you experience the same, but the above should at least get Riven working in Vista 64-bit. [Get The GOG version instead! :cheesy:

Myst II - Riven 10th Anniversary DVD - Recommended: get the Good Old Games edition at just $6
(1) Download the Riven_Vista (RivenGSD) patch. Don't install it (it won't install) but extract the contents. Locate the file Quicktime.qts (it'll probably be in a folder called 'divers') and put this in the Riven game folder (newer Quicktime files don't seem to work when used this way - not even the version that came on the Riven DVD).

(2) Set the following compatibility options:

- Run in Windows 98/ME compatibility (essential to avoid black screen and then crash to desktop)
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition
- Disable display scaling on high DPI settings - very important (leaving this one unticked seems to cause all the crashes)
- Run this program as the administrator

Note: I still encountered some freezing, so I'm not 100% sure that this version of Riven can be played successfully in Vista. [Get The GOG version instead! :D

Myst II - Riven - Good Old Games edition (new!)
This game seems to be the very best option for Riven on Vista 64-bit and it works beautifully (NO CRASHES), but it has an initial problem with gamesaves that you'll need to fix if affected. The solution (also displayed at Good Old Games) is as follows:

First, create a new folder in C:\Program Files (assuming that's where you installed Riven). Copy over everything from inside your Riven directory (BUT NOT THE FOLDER CALLED "DATA") to this new directory.

Inside your new directory, create a folder called "Data" (without the quotes). Go into the Data folder inside your Riven directory and copy/paste everything from that into your New Folder/Data directory. Run the game from there, and you should be able to save and load with no problem.

Myst V - End of Ages
Myst V's problem is a configuration check that is run the first time you run the game. If you have Vista SP1 installed (both 32 and 64-bit), this checker crashes the game immediately. Vista users who have not installed SP1 will be fine. Again, the solution is to copy the necessary files from a good Myst V install on another PC...

I installed Myst V on my old XP PC and ran it once (very important to run the game at least once in XP - this forces the configuration check to happen).

I then copied the following folder from the XP machine:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages

To the following folder on my Vista machine:
C:\Users\[user name]\App Data\Local\Myst V End of Ages
And now Myst V also works perfectly.

If you can't see the 'App Data' folder, then you need to 'unhide' them. To do this, open up My Computer (Windows Explorer) from the Start Menu. *Vista users now need to press the F10 key to show the window menu*. For both XP and Vista, click the TOOLS menu, FOLDER OPTIONS, and then click the VIEW tab. Look for HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, and ensure the 'Show hidden files and folders' option is ticked. Click OK. The folders above should now be visible. Likewise, if this fix appears not to work, then you are using the wrong App Data folder - UNHIDE your hidden folders to be sure you're using the correct App Data folder!

UPDATE: If you don't have access to another PC, unzip the attached MystVInitFiles.zip to C:\Users\[user name]\App Data\Local\Myst V End of Ages. This will hopefully prevent your PC making the initial hardware check and you should then be able to start your game. ENSURE YOU ARE PUTTING THE FILES IN THE CORRECT USER-NAME FOLDER! If you find this fix doesn't work, unhide all files in your C:\USERS folder as follows...

Open MY COMPUTER
Open the C Drive
Open the USERS folder
Press the F10 key to open a new menu
Click TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW
Ensure "Show hidden files and folders" is ticked.

Apply the fix to the user folder you are currently using. :D

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   callmemitchs 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hi Bad Whippet,

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and like you always run into problems when it comes to old games. I haven't tried to run Myst I or II on here, but I just tried to install Exile. I'm surprised that you got it to run perfectly without any tweaking. It installed fine on my machine, (although I didn't select to install quicktime or directx 9), but when i try to run the executable I get the error:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I presume this means that vista doesn't like the 32-bit executable.

Do you have any idea how I might get around this? Do you think your fix for II and V would do the job? Frankly I'm surprised that works at all, but I won't complain if it does. If you think it might work for Exile than I'll get access to an XP machine and copy the files across.

Callmemitch.

#3 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Bad Whippet, thank you for posting these solutions. Mind if I get a mod to sticky it? :D

Also, Bad Whippet and callmemitchs, welcome to Mc. Here's a welcoming tomato for each of you. :cheesy: :D

#4 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:07 AM

Thank you for the welcome and squooshy tomato! :cheesy:

Please feel free to sticky the thread. It would be great if it could help others. I really didn't believe Vista 64-bit would cope with the games and so I feel very lucky to have them all installed. I hope others have the same joy too. I have a couple of new Myst titles to the list which I'll add in a new post below - also success stories (at last)!

Callmemitch: I'm sorry Exile isn't working. I'm wondering if there is a difference in versions (mine is the Ubisoft DVD version that came in the 5-games compilation). I must admit my Vista knowledge is not exactly huge, but I'm wondering whether a change in the game's compatibility mode will enable the game to run? I've posted up the compatibility settings I've applied for each game in a new post below (including Exile) - hopefully they will get it running for you.

#5 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

(obsolete post - now merged into above posts)

#6 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

NOTES ON INSTALLING AND COMPATABILITY

INSTALLING AND USER ACCOUNT CONTROL (UAC)

Install paths: If you have more than one hard drive, install the games to a drive other than C: to avoid User Account Control problems that might prevent the game running or saving properly. All of my Myst games are installed on a different drive, so I can confirm that they all will work in a non-default installation path.

If you only have one drive or wish to install your games onto the C: drive regardless, you may have to disable User Account Control (UAC) if you have any problems installing, running or saving your games. To do this: open up Control Panel/User Accounts and, in your account settings, the last item should be 'turn User Account Control on or off'. Click this link and turn off UAC. You will need to reboot your PC to make this change fully active.

Finally, if a game refuses to install, try locating the install file on the CD/DVD, right-click it and set the compatibility modes as recommended below. It might help.

COMPATIBILTY SETTINGS FOR EACH GAME

There isn't anything special about the compatibility settings I've chosen and you might even find something better, but these are the settings I've made and my games run, so similar settings might help anyone experiencing problems. Note that I have played every title to varying degrees of completeness but have not completed ALL titles in Vista yet so I don't know of any later glitches. In all cases though, the games load, play, the movies run and I can save and load games.

To alter compatibility settings, locate the game icon, right-click it and, from the pop-up menu, click the COMPATIBILITY tab. Finally, a note about run as Administrator: tick this even if you ARE using your PC as Administrator.

MYST I (MASTERPIECE EDITION)
- choose Windows 98/ME compatibility (or Windows 2000 if you have applied the Windows 2000 patch)
- tick Disable visual themes
- tick Run this program as an administrator

Remaining problems: I have a 'sound crackle' problem that never existed in XP, and the need to juggle Quicktime versions because I have so far failed to find any Quicktime version that works properly for all Myst games in Vista (I did in XP) and so, to play Myst I MME, I have to uninstall later Quicktime versions and reinstall the original from the Myst CD (use CUSTOM not EXPRESS version - EXPRESS seems to crash). The good news at least is that Quicktime uninstalls and reinstalls without fuss in Vista.

REALMYST (INTERACTIVE 3D EDITION)
- choose Windows 98/ME compatibility
- tick Disable desktop composition
- tick Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

If you've managed to patch your own copy (as mentioned in my first post above), then you only need to set Windows 2000 compatibility (and 'run as administrator'). No other settings will be needed.

Remaining problems: sometimes runs unplayably slow after the official v1.11 patch is installed and so you might need to reinstall the game without the patch. There's occasional sound distortion that you can correct by minimising the game to desktop then going back in. One Spaceship Age puzzle seems to have a sound fault (the puzzle is still solvable, but the sounds played are distorted and not as they should be). I have now completed the game fully in Vista 64 and have no other problems to report.

REALMYST (GOOD OLD GAMES EDITION)
- choose Windows XP compatibility

The compatibility settings for this newer release are different to the previous edition. You need to apply this to both the realMyst.exe file AND the yellow startup icon (realMystStart).

Remaining problems: The Selenitic Age saw a spate of crashes to desktop. However, this appeared to be down to the fact that I'd ticked the DirectSound option in the game options! Don't tick this! Once I'd unticked this option, the game ran perfectly. The game does seem to ignore display settings, but it runs as well as the previous version, so it might be running at its best already.

MYST II (RIVEN - 5 CD version for Windows 95 and 10th Anniversary DVD edition)
- choose Windows 98/ME compatibility (game won't start with anything else)
- tick Disable display scaling on high DPI settings (important - left unticked causes crashes in the 10th Anniversary edition)

Remaining problems: some stability problems, so save frequently or after solving any difficult aspect of the game. The 10th Anniversary edition needs the Quicktime.qts file for movies to work. In Vista, the 10th Anniversary edition will not scale properly on a widescreen and will stretch despite your PC settings (it's fine in XP). Both scaling and instability have been fixed in the Good Old Games version - see first post in this thread). I recommend you save your sanity and spend $6 on this revised version!

MYST III (EXILE)
- choose Windows 98/ME compatibility

Remaining problems: the mouse becomes unusable after minimising the game to desktop (aka cheating with a walk-through)! This was a problem I also had in XP. No other problems. Game started and completed in Vista.

MYST IV (REVELATION)
- choose Windows XP IService Pack 2)
- tick Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Remaining problems: none found. Game started and completed in Vista.

MYST V (END OF AGES)
- choose Windows 2000

Remaining problems: none whatsoever. Game started and completed in Vista.

URU CHRONICLES OF MYST

Remaining problems: none found so far; game started but I haven't completed the entire game in Vista yet.

#7 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

RIVEN GAMESAVES

Unable to save in Vista because the 'filename' box is missing in the SAVE AS window?

Unzip the attached gamesave file and make several renamed copies - e.g. Save1.rvn, Save2.rvn. etc. Drop them in your Riven folder. When you next SAVE in Riven, you will be able to overwrite one of these placeholders without needing a keyboard. With this file, you can rename it in the SAVE window, make copies of the file etc - all from within the game.

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   Iztok 

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:03 AM

Here is how to make RealMyst to work on Win Vistax64:

http://s-o.homepage....ealmystfix.html

It works for me.
On my old PC vith Win XP i had same problem vich was solved with turning criptographic service off. That didnt help in Vista.
I dont know if thise solution works for XP also.

Hope it helps somebody.

Sorry abaut my english, it is not my native language.

#9 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

:arianna: Iztoc - thanks for posting. That's the solution I'd found too, but was worried about the legality of it, so didn't post up a link. Personally, I feel absolutely fine about doing it (if I own the legally bought disc, then I don't feel 'illegal' in obtaining a decrypted copy if that's the only way I can get the game to work on my PC). But I know other people could feel differently about it, so chose to drop large hints rather than give the precise link. But a direct link will help people more than my big, clumsy hints however, so thanks.

Anyway, I can confirm that Jehon's solution (in the above link) works a treat and it is the only solution I've been 100% successful with (the compatibility settings worked for me, but on one day only; on subsequent days, the game simply would not start). With Jehon's solution, I've played realMyst end to end in Vista Ultimate 64 and the only problem I had was a distortion of sound in the Selenitic Age (the wind, chime, water etc sounds played correctly in their locations but did not play the correctly when replayed in solving the puzzle - which might be nothing to do with Vista at all). But I was able to get past this and the rest of the game worked a treat, no crashes, no game-saving problems - all perfect and a beautiful game.

It is also deceptively easy and very quick to do (basically download a hex editor, find the line of code, and replace with Jehon's line, then save - job done. I have nil experience which such things, but I downloaded the free hex editor that Jehon mentioned in the article, used the search option to locate the line of code, and replaced it with Jehon's rcorrected line. Saved the game, and bingo! Very quick to do. And it works.

#10 User is offline   demysted 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

Hello,

I have made the following suggested changes in order to get Myst V: E of A to run in Vista X64, but to no avail.

The settings for compatibility I am using are Windows 2000, Disable visual themes, disable desktop composition, and Run as administrator.
I have also unzipped the Myst V init files and saved to c:\users\"name"\Appdata\local\ Myst V End of Ages .
I continue to get a serious error message on starting the game as follows:-

Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x76D14911
0x0066B9D9
0x0044A9A8
0x011243F1
0x0044121D
0x0051C6D3
0x0051BE4E
0x74267652
0x74268D41
0x742647BF
0x7426B793
0x6DE189FD
0x6DE188F1
0x7426B187
<end>

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

#11 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hi demysted

I must admit I don't know. When you copied the downloaded files, was there a Myst folder already at the location? If not, it could be that the initialisation files are somewhere else on your PC.

Another possibility is that some files are missing or wrongly located. Look in this folder...

C:\Users\(your user-name)\AppData\Local\Myst V End of Ages\init

...and ensure that there are two files - one called audio.ini and the other called graphics.ini and that they haven't extracted themselves to some other odd place instead.

#12 User is offline   Mystmare 

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:48 AM

I have Riven 10th anniversary edition running in Vista 64 with all the videos functional thanks to the suggestions in this thread.

However:

It should be noted to those who have come this far that your woes are not over. No matter how you tweak the compatibility, the game will still randomly freeze. No crashes to desktop, but the freezes are semi-frequent. This is noted above in Bad's post.

What's more, this crashing can also rarely occur as soon as you save, and if this occurs.. your save game is corrupted and you must start the game over from the beginning. So even though you're saving frequently, you may still lose everything.

The only option that worked for me if you suffer from this problem but you STILL want to play the game is to make at least two different save game files for Riven. You might be having the same problems I had, where you can't save the game to a new file even when using "save as..." (alt + enter in-game, file, save as). If you're having this problem, go into your Riven directory and rename savedgame1 to savedgame2 or something else. Then you can create a new save in-game. Now you have two. You will need to use "save as" every time you want to save, and do it to -both- saves. This way.. if the save corrupts, you will always have a good save to go back to, and it will always be fairly up to date. If your save corrupts and you revert to your backup, immediately save over the corrupted file so that you have two good ones again. Don't forget to do this.

Yes, this is a very annoying thing to have to do, but theoretically it would allow you to complete the game. I don't know yet, as I haven't fully completed it yet. I'll report back once I do.

If anyone knows of a way to prevent the freezing, I'm all ears, but it would seem as though everyone has this issue with the 10th anniversary edition Riven in Vista.

Edit: I've just completed the game using the double save method above. Funnily enough, on this second attempt at a playthrough, the game did not corrupt any of my saves, and barely froze up. Go figure. Better safe than sorry though!

#13 User is offline   Ryoshi 

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

Is it possible to patch Riven to 1.2 on a 64bit system? Maybe that would help some of the freezing issues...but I wouldn't know, as I'm stuck here with a 64bit machine myself.

#14 User is offline   crimsonthread 

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

I'm trying to play the Myst 10th anniversary edition on my vista computer, and while I've looked through the forum, I haven't seen anyone else with my problem--forgive me if I've overlooked it.

The game installed fine, and runs almost perfectly... except there's no graphics other than the cursor. I can hear the sounds, click the invisible book, and move around (presumably), but I can't see anything I'm doing. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

EDIT: Got it to work by unistalling Quicktime (thought I'd already tried that!), but now I have another problem... I can't see the brothers in their books. I've put the pages in, but the "screen" in the book stays blank. Also, the cursor isn't right--it's just a white hand, not a flesh-colored hand. It doesn't change at any point in the game (meaning, doesn't point to the right or left when I want to turn,etc). Any idea why this is happening?

#15 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

Holycrapitsworking. Thank you so much for the EOA fix!

#16 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Does anyone know if these will work for Windows 7? I'm getting a new laptop shortly and I still want to play Myst... :blinky:

#17 User is offline   only_achenar_lover 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:00656745

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

View PostMystress, on Jan 11 2010, 06:45 PM, said:

Does anyone know if these will work for Windows 7? I'm getting a new laptop shortly and I still want to play Myst... :blinky:

Windows 7 has its own plethora of problems with Myst. I've been able to run all games but EoA using various tips and tricks.
Basically, run everything as an admin. XD

#18 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

View PostMystress, on Jan 11 2010, 11:45 AM, said:

If you have any trouble, PM me, I've gotten them all to work flawlessly.

#19 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

I'll be sure to. Next week, when I actually get mah shiny noo laptop. ^^

EDIT: Got my laptop. Myst 10th Anniversary works just fine, but there's no movies and this weird crackly noise whenever I link. Riven works alright but there's no movies in it, either. Only Exile works flawlessly. Does anyone know where I can get the quicktime.qts file needed to play movies? I think that's the problem... Otherwise, the games are 100% playable. Haven't tried Revelation yet, but I'm sure that'll work just fine. :pout:

EDIT: Guys, I just figured out how to fix the issue I had with Myst 10th Anniversary and Quicktime movies. You need to download the Riven_Vista Patch (Available here) and extract all files from it. Find the file quicktime.qts and move it into the games folder of Myst 10th Anniversary (same for Riven 10th Anniversary). This should fix the movie issue, as it did for me. :gosh: Be aware that this won't fix the crash on saving or restoring a game issue... I still have that problem, but only for Myst.

Riven now works, as does the save feature. :gosh: I now have two of three functioning Myst games on my PC! Myst is still having save issues, but otherwise everything's fine. Movies and saving in Riven is possible! :blinky:

#20 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

An all-new Riven is available for $6 - fully compatible with XP and Vista (32 and 64 bit)

See this thread for more details: http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/index.p...t=0#entry389223 Unfortunately, no-one has updated info on whether Windows 7 compatibility is okay too, but I now have a non-crashing and beautifully stable Riven in Vista 64-bit.

#21 User is offline   Mike44njdevils 

• choortahn (learner)
  • KI number:04781115

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

View PostBad Whippet, on Feb 25 2010, 09:36 PM, said:

An all-new Riven is available for $6 - fully compatible with XP and Vista (32 and 64 bit)

See this thread for more details: http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/index.p...t=0#entry389223 Unfortunately, no-one has updated info on whether Windows 7 compatibility is okay too, but I now have a non-crashing and beautifully stable Riven in Vista 64-bit.

I'll try to run Riven from GOG tonight on my Win 7 64 bit box. I'll report back either way...however I have a teensy request. I need help getting realMyst to work on the Win 7 environment. Everything I've tried has fail (I've done most of the above hints...) :blinky:

#22 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

I managed to fix realMyst original disc version by doing this:

1. Insert disc.
2. Explore disc.
3. Right click SETUP.EXE.
4. Run in Windows 2000 and As Admin.
5. Install FULL.
6. Allow the installer to create a Desktop shortcut.
8. Right click the shortcut.
9. Run in XP SP2 and As Admin.
10. Update realMyst to 1.11.
11. Use the realMYST v1.1.1 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Vista Fixed EXE.

I don't think I'm allowed to post it here, so you'll have to find it yourself. I believe that it is hosted on a few sites that some may consider unsavory, such as gamecopyworld.

12. Go to realMYSTSetup, and switch the 3D Hardware pull down menu to one that is only HAL.
13. Run it! The book is fixed and there is no lag!

If this doesn't work, then do these things as well.
-Install Indeo codecs.
-Install Direct X 6.

Can anyone confirm that this works?

#23 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

View Postaander91, on Apr 5 2010, 03:55 PM, said:

I managed to fix realMyst original disc version by doing this:

1. Insert disc.
2. Explore disc.
3. Right click SETUP.EXE.
4. Run in Windows 2000 and As Admin.
5. Install FULL.
6. Allow the installer to create a Desktop shortcut.
8. Right click the shortcut.
9. Run in XP SP2 and As Admin.
10. Update realMyst to 1.11.
11. Use the realMYST v1.1.1 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Vista Fixed EXE.

I don't think I'm allowed to post it here, so you'll have to find it yourself. I believe that it is hosted on a few sites that some may consider unsavory, such as gamecopyworld.

12. Go to realMYSTSetup, and switch the 3D Hardware pull down menu to one that is only HAL.
13. Run it! The book is fixed and there is no lag!

If this doesn't work, then do these things as well.
-Install Indeo codecs.
-Install Direct X 6.

Can anyone confirm that this works?

The Indeo codecs messed up my PC and it turned out they weren't even necessary. The editing of the EXE file works a treat though. However, if you have a spare $6 there's no longer any need for all that. realMyst has been updated to work with Vista 64-bit by GoodOldGames.com (it needs Windows XP compatibility setting, but that's all). This newer version works better than the hacked version did. The link is in the very first post at the top. :D

#24 User is offline   CompTrekkie 

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hello all,

I want to say thank you to “BadWhippet” and all whom contributed to this thread. A few months ago I had a Myst itch. I read the 3 books and 2 comics that I had packed away and then had the itch to play all the Myst games again in the order of Cannon. (Myst, Riven, Myst III, Myst IV, URU Complete Chronicles, and Myst V).

I had not played them since they first came out and was having issues getting them all to work in Windows 7 x64. Considering when the first Myst was released I was on Win 3.11 this is understandable. I have ITunes installed and did not want to break my QuickTime or ITunes. This was one of the larger problems; each version of Myst needed a particular version of QuickTime to run properly. I was playing around with VM Ware and had some of them working in old versions of windows and even had Myst I working in DOSBox but I really wanted then all working with out launching a bunch of virtual environments. Then I came across this thread and have now played them all though flawlessly in Windows 7 x64 and had no issues with ITunes or QuickTime or anything else for that matter!

I wanted to confirm this for anyone that comes across this thread and wonders if it is possible. At first when I saw the age of the thread I as not sure if it was current info. A really big help was learning about the GOG versions of Myst. I did not realize they existed. I will give a quick break down of what I did based on the info in this thread , my system configuration, and my knowledge of computer\OSs. Hopefully this will be helpful for any future adventurers that may come along. Most of this is a repeat of what was already posted but should serve to show that the info is still current and accurate.

(As a note I have UAC disable and installed all the Myst games to my games drive (not the C: drive) so if anyone has issues arise with any of the Myst games “Run As Administrator” may need to be ticked as mentioned by BadWhippet. I did not need to with any of my installations.)

Myst I (Masterpiece Edition) (GOG Version)

Run as Windows XP
It worked flawlessly after this.

RealMyst (GOG Version)

Run as Windows XP

Riven (GOG Version)

Run as Windows XP
Only other issue I had was the “Save game” crash. It can be fixed per the instructions in the first post by “BadWhippet”.

Myst III (10th Anniversary DVD Edition)
I’m not sure if this version varies from the original release in compatibility and/or stability.

Ran as Windows 98

Myst IV

No issues. Just installed and played.

URU: Complete Chronicles

Needed to be Ran as Windows XP

At first I thought nothing needed to be done. It ran with no customizations. I even completed the cleft. It wasn’t till I tried to link to Teledahn that I started to have issues. The game would crash and give me a “Main Branch” error. Once I checked “Run as Windows XP” all was good. I completed the game without any further issues.

Myst V

Only Issue I had was the “configuration check problem” that is addressed in BadWhippet’s first post. The game would crash as soon as I ran it and give me the same error “demysted “got. All I needed to do was download the “MystVInitFiles.zip” file that BadWhippet provided and copy the 2 files into the correct user directory as is mention in the first post and all was good.

No other changes needed to be made. It worked flawlessly after this.

Myst Online: URU Live

Since this is almost the same as URU:CC I checked “Run as Windows XP “to be safe.
I have played for a few days without issue so far.

Available here: http://www.mystonline.com

I figured I would mention this since the Cyan servers are currently back up and running for free ATM.

I played URU:CC first so I could experience the story in the correct order of cannon and also not have to worry about needing to find others for help on some of the puzzles that need more than one person to complete. I plan on playing around in MO:UL to see what different/new content there is compared to Uru:CC. I also look forward to meeting fellow Myst fans.

Thanks again for this great thread and I hope my confirmation of Windows 7 x64 compatibly and my input will be helpful to others, as this thread was to me.

#25 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:191882

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

Thanks CompTrekkie! Very helpful :)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users