MYSTcommunity: Myst games in Vista & Windows 7 (incl 64-bit) - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Myst games in Vista & Windows 7 (incl 64-bit) For those with a spare PC and who have found the standard fixes have f

#26 User is offline   Bad Whippet 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

Massively helpful, CompTrekkie - thank you for posting this. Although I'm still limping Vista along, I know I will one day be thrown into a Windows 7 world and so I was eager for someone to post some detailed findings on Windows 7. Knowing that all the games work is fantastic news. Very happy to hear it!

#27 User is offline   Fallstar 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

First, create a new folder in C:\Program Files (assuming that's where you installed Riven). Copy over everything from inside your Riven directory (BUT NOT THE FOLDER CALLED "DATA") to this new directory.

Inside your new directory, create a folder called "Data" (without the quotes). Go into the Data folder inside your Riven directory and copy/paste everything from that into your New Folder/Data directory. Run the game from there, and you should be able to save and load with no problem.

Hi...I just purchased the gog.com version of Riven. I'm running Windows 7, and installed it to my "Other Apps" directory, then followed your instructions for the save fix. Do I need to name the new folder "Riven" like the original install folder? Also, probably not an issue, but the original install has the "data" sub-folder, and I created a "Data" sub-folder in my new directory...capitalization of the folder name shouldn't be an issue, correct?

Thanks for all your information, I hope this one runs okay, as I had problems running the gog.com version of Myst. :eyebrow:

Edit: Ahh...nevermind! I've got it running, and everything seems to be working great! yay! I'm running it on my 24" widescreen monitor, it's a little pixelated and stretched, but after a while I hardly notice it. The only weird thing is, on the journal that Atrus gave me at the start, when I open it, it quickly goes to the next page, and that happens every other page! lol! Will just read the entries on DPWR.net. :tomato:

#28 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

View Postaander91, on Apr 5 2010, 09:55 AM, said:

I managed to fix realMyst original disc version by doing this:

1. Insert disc.
2. Explore disc.
3. Right click SETUP.EXE.
4. Run in Windows 2000 and As Admin.
5. Install FULL.
6. Allow the installer to create a Desktop shortcut.
8. Right click the shortcut.
9. Run in XP SP2 and As Admin.
10. Update realMyst to 1.11.
11. Use the realMYST v1.1.1 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Vista Fixed EXE.

I don't think I'm allowed to post it here, so you'll have to find it yourself. I believe that it is hosted on a few sites that some may consider unsavory, such as gamecopyworld.

12. Go to realMYSTSetup, and switch the 3D Hardware pull down menu to one that is only HAL.
13. Run it! The book is fixed and there is no lag!

If this doesn't work, then do these things as well.
-Install Indeo codecs.
-Install Direct X 6.

Can anyone confirm that this works?

I just reinstalled this and can confirm that it DOES work, at least on my computer. I didn't have to continue past step 13 either.

#29 User is offline   Coolgamer 

• telahm (guildsman)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am having problems getting Myst Masterpiece to work under Windows 7 64.

I got the Quicktime movies to play using the Riven trick of copying the Quicktime.qts file.

However, there is no audio for the Quicktime files and only the Quicktime, and it's kinda important to hear Atrus' speech.

#30 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sorry I haven't tested the Myst games in Windows versions later than XP (I still keep old some old computers around for old games and other old apps) so my reply may not help.

Did you try the advice in the first post in this thread: Buy the GoG version? That might not be the best alternative as it might not have high-res pics like those in Masterpiece.

I guess you read the whole thread if you tried the quicktime.qts trick. Other tips in this thread are in the following links:

http://www.mystcommu...post__p__376645

http://www.mystcommu...post__p__381671

http://www.mystcommu...post__p__387092

You read the quicktime.qts trick here?
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__387152

"Using a virtual environment" and "Run as Windows XP":
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__393105

#31 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought I would add to this:
Just did a clean install of Windows 7 professional on my machine, installed GOG version of Myst and Riven with the versions of QT that came with the games - no issues at all - in fact I had more issues with Vista Business Edition.
No QT issues, no sound issues, no Save issues, no Open issues...

Just got to install RealMyst tonight - should all be ok...

#32 User is offline   Bakamono 

• Group: Fresh Member

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

Having recently played through Riven and Myst III (dvd) on my laptop, I can confirm some unique issues I had, plus what I did to fix them. I installed the game and QT alternative (the Quicktime codecs, without anything else).
The first issue I encountered was a weird glitch where the cursor would leave a trail in the border where the book is (hundreds of cursors would remain stuck there, until restarting the game). This was apparently due to choosing hardware rendering, selecting software made that issue go away.
The second issue manifested itself as the door opening animations stuttering (the audio would stutter, the visual would stutter back and forth between the closed state and the next frame in the animation, until it was done). This was apparently due to multi-core processing and was fixed by forcing the game to run on one core (see below).
Riven had a similar issue where it would freeze up and cease functioning, also due to multi-core processing (see below).

To force the game to run I changed the TARGET field of the start menu shortcut to the game to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity 1 "(the original path to the game)" (in my case it looked something like this: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Myst III - Exile\Myst3.exe" ).
This will briefly show a cmd window and then launch the game using only the second core of your processor.
The first "" is empty because windows uses the first text between "" to name the cmd window, removing this will not launch the game.

PS Thanks a lot to Capella for going through the effort required to get my account set up to finally be able to post this!

#33 User is offline   scallenger 

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

This thread really helped me out a lot! Thanks a bunch, guys!

#34 User is offline   Fadookie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:05 PM

It's worth mentioning that ScummVM now officially supports Myst, Myst: Masterpiece Edition, and has experimental (but in my experience, quite good) support for Riven. I wrote a guide for getting Riven to run in ScummVM. Not only has it smoothed out a lot of the Windows crashes but it also allows the games to run on modern macOS and Linux.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users