MYSTcommunity: Can't escape dark compass room - iPhone - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Can't escape dark compass room - iPhone

#1 User is offline   spwriter 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

I made it into the compass room and hit the wrong button. Everything went dark and no amount of touching and clicking around the screen - 20 minutes now - gets me back out. I hear the water but the screen isn't responding to any touches. How can I escape?

I also just gave up on registering for support at myst.com. Sigh

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

I hated that room. When you say that the screen isn't responding to any touches, do you mean that it just froze completely, or that there appear to be no hotspots to touch to get you out? If you just can't get out (and nothings wrong with the overall program), then do you have a save game nearby?

#3 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Can you change the brightness on the game?

I like that we're getting iPhoners, hope more come. :arianna:

#4 User is offline   spwriter 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

You can hear the water running. And I can quit the game and open it back up. But it always starts with a blank screen. Changing the brightness doesn't help. I can click anywhere but nothing happens. I really believe that it's a problem with the iPhone port. What happens in the PC version? How do you get out?

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on May 5 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

I hated that room. When you say that the screen isn't responding to any touches, do you mean that it just froze completely, or that there appear to be no hotspots to touch to get you out? If you just can't get out (and nothings wrong with the overall program), then do you have a save game nearby?

#5 User is offline   Ro'tahgahm 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:28 AM

You should be in the dark, but there aren't very many places where the screen is completely black. You should be able to vaguely see your surroundings and there's a (dim) flashing blue light at the end of the tunnel. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that the game lets you face into a wall, so tapping on the center of the screen should generally move you forward.

It might be hard to see if you're playing on your iPhone in a brightly lit room or under sunlight; have you tried in a dark room so you can see dim things on the screen well?

If the screen is truly black and tapping doesn't get you anywhere, then it sounds like there might be something wrong with your game :rotflol:

Also, welcome to MYSTcommunity! :arianna:

#6 User is offline   albino 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:01 AM

Just played through this part on an iPhone. I had no problems. Did the alarm go off at all?

Try restarting your iPhone and see if it helps.

EDIT: By the way, make sure you have set the options icon (the "i" in the lower right corner) to be visible - it will help navigating since it turns with the screen, which means you can keep track of whether you turn or move forward even if it's pitch black.

#7 User is offline   spwriter 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

Well that's discouraging. I can see the red page I picked up clearly. And the brightness is all the way up. No alarm; just the sound of water. But not a thing on screen - no variability in intensity, no red light. I must be stuck in a corner or looking up. The most surprising thing is that you can play it fine. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Btw I do see the I fine but it doesn't seem to move.

View Postalbino, on May 6 2009, 05:01 AM, said:

Just played through this part on an iPhone. I had no problems. Did the alarm go off at all?

EDIT: By the way, make sure you have set the options icon (the "i" in the lower right corner) to be visible - it will help navigating since it turns with the screen, which means you can keep track of whether you turn or move forward even if it's pitch black.

#8 User is offline   albino 

• telnahvah (guildmaster)

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

Well indeed it does seem like a bug, since there is supposed to be only a few dark screens, meaning any random tapping/clicking should eventually get you out of there.

Just to make sure I got it all right, here are the steps that I assume you have taken and what should happen:

1. Turn on the light with the generator in the lighthouse (which I *think* is required to get into the compass room at all)
2. Drain the stairs down to the brothers' rooms and the compass room with the corresponding button under the umbrella
3. Go down either staircase, open the little hatch to get into the corridor and the compass room
4. After a while, when the generated electricity goes out, an alarm will go off and two lights, one at the end of each corridor, will start to blink.

The screen actually blinks here, meaning it goes from black to lit to black to lit etc. Maybe some kind of bug made it simply go black and get stuck there? As they say, once you go black, you never go back...

You should report this as a bug. At the moment, the only thing I can think of is that you could simply start a new game... of course, I can see that that would be a fairly unattractive option, time consuming and all...

View Postspwriter, on May 6 2009, 04:16 PM, said:

Well that's discouraging. I can see the red page I picked up clearly. And the brightness is all the way up. No alarm; just the sound of water. But not a thing on screen - no variability in intensity, no red light. I must be stuck in a corner or looking up. The most surprising thing is that you can play it fine. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Btw I do see the I fine but it doesn't seem to move.

View Postalbino, on May 6 2009, 05:01 AM, said:

#9 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:196082

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:13 AM

There is definitely at least one issue with the compass room in 1.0.0. From the release notes for the upcoming update:

Fixes in this release:
+ Stoneship compass: get stuck after hitting right button and stepping away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users