MYSTcommunity: HELP HELP Newbie... - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

HELP HELP Newbie...

#1 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

Hi all..I'm desperate for help!
I'm apparently crazy about this (never heard of it before) and d/l it for my iTouch. HOWEVER, that being said, i've touched and explored everything I can wihtout going insane. I can't get anywhere and nothing does anything LOL
I've got NO idea about the map in the library. I've turned switches up and down, on and off, etc. i got the message in the basement but have no idea what Atryus means...I'm completely drowning. Not sure if I'm a RPG person but i'm sure trying. I love everything but I'm at a stand still and have been for 3 days. i don't get internet at home where I play so I can't access any hints to get me moving.
SUggestions welcome! ARGH!
Laura

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

View Postauntielola, on Jun 2 2009, 09:51 AM, said:

I'm apparently crazy about this (never heard of it before) and d/l it for my iTouch. HOWEVER, that being said, i've touched and explored everything I can without going insane. I can't get anywhere and nothing does anything LOL
I've got NO idea about the map in the library. I've turned switches up and down, on and off, etc. I got the message in the basement but have no idea what Atrus means...I'm completely drowning. Not sure if I'm a RPG person but I'm sure trying. I love everything, but I'm at a stand still and have been for 3 days. I don't get internet at home where I play so I can't access any hints to get me moving.
Suggestions welcome! ARGH!
Laura

Okay, first a general explanation (since you're new at this).

Generally speaking, there are three things you will find in your explorations.
Puzzles - By using logic and Clues, these open up new areas to explore.
Clues - Needed for many puzzles. Most clues have some context that could point out which puzzle they connect to.
Story - Most stuff that isn't clues or puzzles. Important for later, and also often useful to figure out how puzzles work.

You'll need to find all of these and bring them together to finish the game. Just try to figure out how everything works together. Figure out what each button or lever does, figure out where everything is, etc.

Now more specifically: I think you're currently missing a rather important part of a puzzle. Remember what Atrus said in the message in the basement

Excerpt from his speech
Click to reveal hidden content
"...Well, I have removed the remaining undamaged books from the library and placed them in their places of protection. You should not have to use the books until I return, but... if you've forgotten the access keys, remember the tower rotation..."

Semi-explanation
He's saying that due to what happened, he took some books and placed them in special places where he believed they would be safer. This means that instead of just being able to pick up these specific books from a bookshelf, you'll have to work a little to get them. :arianna: He tells Catherine that if she has forgotten the "access keys" (combinations to open the places with the books), that she should "remember the tower rotation". What could he be referring to as a "tower"? (look at the picture at the top of the webpage for a hint) This must be important.

Remember to explore everything, follow every path, pull any lever or wheel or anything else special that you come across - you have to figure out how things work. It never hurts to touch something that just might be important - you won't break anything :rotflol: .

Spoiler (hinting at the general area you should be looking)
Look at the library again. That's the building with the wooden floors and all the books (and the map).

Much more of a spoiler
Those paintings on the wall. What do they look like they represent?

Massive Spoiler
Touch a painting. One should open up a new area to explore (the "tower"). I'll let you figure out how to "rotate" it by yourself (hint, you've already found what you need to do that).

Then just explore. Find puzzles and figure out how they work, then figure out what clues you have for them.

#3 User is offline   SolarSurfer 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

Well to give a general answer to go with your general question, take your time. Look carefully at everything and anything you see that might possibly be a clue, write it down (you can also screen capture by pressing the lock & home buttons at the same time). Think carefully about what you've found and how things might fit together, they call this a puzzle game for a reason.

If you need more specific help post some more specific questions.

#4 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Jun 2 2009, 11:45 AM, said:

View Postauntielola, on Jun 2 2009, 09:51 AM, said:

I'm apparently crazy about this (never heard of it before) and d/l it for my iTouch. HOWEVER, that being said, i've touched and explored everything I can without going insane. I can't get anywhere and nothing does anything LOL
I've got NO idea about the map in the library. I've turned switches up and down, on and off, etc. I got the message in the basement but have no idea what Atrus means...I'm completely drowning. Not sure if I'm a RPG person but I'm sure trying. I love everything, but I'm at a stand still and have been for 3 days. I don't get internet at home where I play so I can't access any hints to get me moving.
Suggestions welcome! ARGH!
Laura

Okay, first a general explanation (since you're new at this).

Generally speaking, there are three things you will find in your explorations.
Puzzles - By using logic and Clues, these open up new areas to explore.
Clues - Needed for many puzzles. Most clues have some context that could point out which puzzle they connect to.
Story - Most stuff that isn't clues or puzzles. Important for later, and also often useful to figure out how puzzles work.

You'll need to find all of these and bring them together to finish the game. Just try to figure out how everything works together. Figure out what each button or lever does, figure out where everything is, etc.

Now more specifically: I think you're currently missing a rather important part of a puzzle. Remember what Atrus said in the message in the basement

Excerpt from his speech
"...Well, I have removed the remaining undamaged books from the library and placed them in their places of protection. You should not have to use the books until I return, but... if you've forgotten the access keys, remember the tower rotation..."

Semi-explanation
He's saying that due to what happened, he took some books and placed them in special places where he believed they would be safer. This means that instead of just being able to pick up these specific books from a bookshelf, you'll have to work a little to get them. :arianna: He tells Catherine that if she has forgotten the "access keys" (combinations to open the places with the books), that she should "remember the tower rotation". What could he be referring to as a "tower"? (look at the picture at the top of the webpage for a hint) This must be important.

Remember to explore everything, follow every path, pull any lever or wheel or anything else special that you come across - you have to figure out how things work. It never hurts to touch something that just might be important - you won't break anything :rotflol: .

Spoiler (hinting at the general area you should be looking)
Look at the library again. That's the building with the wooden floors and all the books (and the map).

Much more of a spoiler
Those paintings on the wall. What do they look like they represent?

Massive Spoiler
Touch a painting. One should open up a new area to explore (the "tower"). I'll let you figure out how to "rotate" it by yourself (hint, you've already found what you need to do that).

Then just explore. Find puzzles and figure out how they work, then figure out what clues you have for them.

First off-THANK YOU for taking time to help me. My husband now officially thinks I'm nuts coz i've become a bit manic about the adventure game (not RPG!)

Okay..so last night I found out 4 red lines that the map shows. I went back into the tower and can see outside the building/ship by just a crack with each object/line it lands on. There's a book and a key on the ladder I can't do anything with.
I flicked on all the power switches and the objects/buildings showed up on the map. I know there's 5 books he's hidden I think. I can't do anything in either shed. I can't find the place where I'm supposed to be able to see the tower from unless I can scoot up the side of a building LOL

I know the map is key to the tower rotation but I'm just not getting it! I've been everywhere there is to go and have read most of the books in the library. I know there's a thingy in the fireplace. I've been taking notes as suggested. I just can't figure out why I can't figure out the secret of the tower rotation! ARRRGH..might have no hair left soon! Dumb blonde LOL I find it sooo intriguing but frustrating that I'm just not getting it and I DON"T want to give up LOL. I think part of the problem is, I don't know what Atrus' mission is..is it to get out of there or to find another world?
I've read some other hints and I know the ships some up etc but this tower rotation is killing me! So cool game btw!
THanks again
Laura (ps. if you can stand to bear with me-I'd appreciate your time!)

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

View Postauntielola, on Jun 3 2009, 06:42 AM, said:

First off-THANK YOU for taking time to help me. My husband now officially thinks I'm nuts coz i've become a bit manic about the adventure game (not RPG!)

You're welcome. Oh, and you haven't gotten a Mystcommunity welcoming tomato yet, have you? Here you go :P

Okay..so last night I found out 4 red lines that the map shows. I went back into the tower and can see outside the building/ship by just a crack with each object/line it lands on. There's a book and a key on the ladder I can't do anything with.

I haven't played this part in awhile. It seems you've figured out the tower rotation (maybe? or at least gotten further in it), and that's good. I'm not sure what the book and the key are (I don't remember anything resembling that - as I said, it's been awhile since I played through that part).

I flicked on all the power switches and the objects/buildings showed up on the map. I know there's 5 books he's hidden I think. I can't do anything in either shed. I can't find the place where I'm supposed to be able to see the tower from unless I can scoot up the side of a building LOL

very minor spoiler
I think it's 4 books, actually. That doesn't really matter, though.

more of a spoiler (about the sheds)
You mean the ones in the forested area?
If you can figure out somewhat how they work, don't worry too much about it. You might need more information before you finish these puzzles

spoiler about the tower
you shouldn't need to be able to see the outside of it, I think

I know the map is key to the tower rotation but I'm just not getting it! I've been everywhere there is to go and have read most of the books in the library. I know there's a thingy in the fireplace. I've been taking notes as suggested. I just can't figure out why I can't figure out the secret of the tower rotation

6 hints, from general to specific (on tower rotation) I think you've gotten past some of the general ones, and the specific ones may be big spoilers. Just go as far as you think is best.
You've explored the rest of the island, right? It won't give you any more clues, exactly, but you might figure out what the whole thing is for.
You know that the map is the key. Have you tried experimenting with changing the map and seeing if the tower changes?
You've noticed that the map specifically notes 4 special places, and that the tower rotates to them, right? Is there anything special about these 4 places that you can think of?
Something else changes at each rotation (inside the tower itself). What is it?
The tower shows different pieces of information while pointing at different places. What does this suggest?
The information will be useful outside of the tower.
Each clue corresponds to the puzzle that the tower is pointing towards (although the puzzle may be spread out).

ARRRGH..might have no hair left soon! Dumb blonde LOL I find it sooo intriguing but frustrating that I'm just not getting it and I DON"T want to give up LOL. I think part of the problem is, I don't know what Atrus' mission is..is it to get out of there or to find another world?

Again, from general to specific. These shouldn't spoil the puzzles or ending, but it's fun to figure out these things on your own sometimes.
You've read Atrus' journals, right? How did he seem to feel towards his adventures? Also, what makes you feel like he has a mission?
Atrus is not entirely human. He's part D'ni (long story, but the next game RIVEN and the books in the Myst Reader explain it more in depth), and his ability to go to other worlds through books is an old D'ni art. The D'ni civilization is no longer (long story), and he's one of the few still around. The island you're on is his current home (again, a long story). He was just living a somewhat normal life (as normal as he could be, that is). Obviously, something happened (you've noticed that a lot of the books in the library are burnt, right?). From his speech, and a few other sources
You've noticed the red and blue books in the library, right?
you should be able to piece together what happened as the game progresses.
Atrus notes that "something terrible has happened". His books are burned (and he doesn't just mean journals - more like the book that you used near the start of the game, that transport you between Ages). He thinks it was done by one of his two sons. Then he obviously got killed, trapped, or involved somewhere else, because he isn't still around. :arianna: Neither are his sons, or, for that matter, his wife (Catherine). :rotflol: :P So you've got to figure out what happened, and how to help (and who to help).

#6 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Jun 3 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

You're welcome. Oh, and you haven't gotten a Mystcommunity welcoming tomato yet, have you? Here you go :P

I haven't played this part in awhile. It seems you've figured out the tower rotation (maybe? or at least gotten further in it), and that's good. I'm not sure what the book and the key are (I don't remember anything resembling that - as I said, it's been awhile since I played through that part).

very minor spoiler

If you can figure out somewhat how they work, don't worry too much about it. You might need more information before you finish these puzzles

spoiler about the tower

I know the map is key to the tower rotation but I'm just not getting it! I've been everywhere there is to go and have read most of the books in the library. I know there's a thingy in the fireplace. I've been taking notes as suggested. I just can't figure out why I can't figure out the secret of the tower rotation

6 hints, from general to specific (on tower rotation) I think you've gotten past some of the general ones, and the specific ones may be big spoilers. Just go as far as you think is best.
You've explored the rest of the island, right? It won't give you any more clues, exactly, but you might figure out what the whole thing is for.
You know that the map is the key. Have you tried experimenting with changing the map and seeing if the tower changes?
You've noticed that the map specifically notes 4 special places, and that the tower rotates to them, right? Is there anything special about these 4 places that you can think of?
The tower shows different pieces of information while pointing at different places. What does this suggest?
Each clue corresponds to the puzzle that the tower is pointing towards (although the puzzle may be spread out).

ARRRGH..might have no hair left soon! Dumb blonde LOL I find it sooo intriguing but frustrating that I'm just not getting it and I DON"T want to give up LOL. I think part of the problem is, I don't know what Atrus' mission is..is it to get out of there or to find another world?

Again, from general to specific. These shouldn't spoil the puzzles or ending, but it's fun to figure out these things on your own sometimes.
You've read Atrus' journals, right? How did he seem to feel towards his adventures? Also, what makes you feel like he has a mission?
Atrus is not entirely human. He's part D'ni (long story, but the next game RIVEN and the books in the Myst Reader explain it more in depth), and his ability to go to other worlds through books is an old D'ni art. The D'ni civilization is no longer (long story), and he's one of the few still around. The island you're on is his current home (again, a long story). He was just living a somewhat normal life (as normal as he could be, that is). Obviously, something happened (you've noticed that a lot of the books in the library are burnt, right?). From his speech, and a few other sources
Atrus notes that "something terrible has happened". His books are burned (and he doesn't just mean journals - more like the book that you used near the start of the game, that transport you between Ages). He thinks it was done by one of his two sons. Then he obviously got killed, trapped, or involved somewhere else, because he isn't still around. :arianna: Neither are his sons, or, for that matter, his wife (Catherine). :rotflol: :P So you've got to figure out what happened, and how to help (and who to help).

You are fantasically helpful! (not sure that's a real world!) I like how I don't have to look at your "spoiler" LOL..I've printed off some of your hints which I do find extremely helpful. I'll push through tonight risking divorce LOLOLOLOL
As I said, I really enjoy it and appreciate all your help!
Thanks for the tomato :D
I'm sure I'll be back..please keep out an eye for help!

#7 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

View Postauntielola, on Jun 3 2009, 02:49 PM, said:

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Jun 3 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

very minor spoiler

spoiler about the tower

Atrus notes that "something terrible has happened". His books are burned (and he doesn't just mean journals - more like the book that you used near the start of the game, that transport you between Ages). He thinks it was done by one of his two sons. Then he obviously got killed, trapped, or involved somewhere else, because he isn't still around. :rotflol: Neither are his sons, or, for that matter, his wife (Catherine). :P :D So you've got to figure out what happened, and how to help (and who to help).

You are fantasically helpful! (not sure that's a real world!) I like how I don't have to look at your "spoiler" LOL..I've printed off some of your hints which I do find extremely helpful. I'll push through tonight risking divorce LOLOLOLOL
As I said, I really enjoy it and appreciate all your help!
Thanks for the tomato :D
I'm sure I'll be back..please keep out an eye for help!

Okay...so last night I spent the night in Myst :P....I got the ships up but can't get aboard. I went into the log cabin and found a match that does nothing. Regarding the map-I can see all four points and all four clues in the tower. I can see the top of the planetarium, the ship, i have dates for the planetarium and figured out the constellation part (after me note taking- thank you- from the books in the library)which raised the ship. I got the code for the safe in the tower but the match doesn't do anything. I have no idea what to do with it as when I leave the cabin, it's no longer on my screen. I'm back to square one as I can't do anything else. :arianna: ...Arrghh..what kind of mind do you need for this game? I really hope I'm stimulating some brain cells that apparently haven't been active in some time! the kind that require logic LOL I'm such a "tetris" type person and I'm completely captivated by this game...thinking about what i've missed b4 i went to bed last night LOLOLOL

#8 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

View Postauntielola, on Jun 4 2009, 05:55 AM, said:

Okay...so last night I spent the night in Myst :rotflol:....I got the ships up but can't get aboard. I went into the log cabin and found a match that does nothing. Regarding the map-I can see all four points and all four clues in the tower. I can see the top of the planetarium, the ship, i have dates for the planetarium and figured out the constellation part (after me note taking- thank you- from the books in the library)which raised the ship. I got the code for the safe in the tower but the match doesn't do anything. I have no idea what to do with it as when I leave the cabin, it's no longer on my screen. I'm back to square one as I can't do anything else. :arianna: ...Arrghh..what kind of mind do you need for this game? I really hope I'm stimulating some brain cells that apparently haven't been active in some time! the kind that require logic LOL I'm such a "tetris" type person and I'm completely captivated by this game...thinking about what i've missed b4 i went to bed last night LOLOLOL

For the ship, you're sure it's up? If so, then you're probably just not approaching it from the right angle (or it's a bug) - you should be able to get aboard it. Make sure you're on the dock itself (not on the patch of ground above it or the stairs), and then try?

About the match, if you still haven't figured it out
Have you lit the match?
You don't need to go outside of the cabin.
What else is in the cabin that could possibly use a match?

(outright spoiler)
On the other side of the cabin, there should be a furnace that you must light (I don't remember if you have to make sure the gas is flowing first [red wheel]).

But from this post in the other topic, I think you've figured that out already

View Postauntielola, on Jun 4 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

Ooops...now i went up a tree from the cabin and there's tons of water and trees...I lost the elevator..how do i get back?

Did you find and touch another book (one with a swirling picture)? If so,
You're in a different Age (world) now, one that you might recognize from the journals you read. The only way to get back to the first island (Myst island, with the ship and library and all) - aside from going back to a saved game or starting a new game - is to work through the puzzles of this Age. Explore around and figure out how things work here. I'd advise you make a map as you go (people get lost in this Age a lot). You should find several useful things in your explorations here. Specifically (very spoilerish list - read only if you really feel that you might have missed something)
A book that will take you back to Myst island
Some important pieces of backstory on two important characters
Red and blue pages (I won't say what these do here)
and I think half of a note

#9 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

perfect..I'm to Channelwood for the weekend :arianna:
Thanks for the tips again...it is a bit dreary and confusing in here :rotflol:

#10 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hi again..I think this might not be the game for me. I got really frustrated yesterday and had to stop. I'm going around and around in circles in the tree tops trying to get to the darn platform. I've found it twice, left to find the lever and never made it back. They all look identical!! I have no idea what direction i'm facing (it needs a little compass thingy in the corner for the Ipod so you know what direction you are in).

Could I PLEASE (do I sound desperate) get some help with regard to what the heck do I do up in the treetops?
:arianna:
Thanks
Laura

#11 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

View Postauntielola, on Jun 8 2009, 11:35 AM, said:

Hi again..I think this might not be the game for me. I got really frustrated yesterday and had to stop. I'm going around and around in circles in the tree tops trying to get to the darn platform. I've found it twice, left to find the lever and never made it back. They all look identical!! I have no idea what direction i'm facing (it needs a little compass thingy in the corner for the Ipod so you know what direction you are in).

Could I PLEASE (do I sound desperate) get some help with regard to what the heck do I do up in the treetops?
:arianna:
Thanks
Laura

Don't get too discouraged - this happens to most everyone (it's just this one Age, don't worry [it's all the trees - they make people get lost easily]).

Here is a map that might help.

Posted Image

(or for a more detailed map)
Posted Image

and another map just for good measure
Posted Image

Now for what you're trying to do (yet again, from general to specific)
You're up in the second level, right? (if not, the maps won't help you, by the way)
You're still trying to go upwards.
Have you found a platform with a way to go up? (not the one you came up in)
It's not powered, since you can only power one thing at a time, and currently the power is routed to the elevator that you need to get to the second level. If only you could bypass that elevator...
A staircase doesn't need power. You'll have to get it into the right position. However, there are no controls nearby.
You've just got to go searching for the lever to work this. Look on the maps, or look for a tree house place where you can see the staircase from (this is probably the hardest step).
Return to the staircase (by the maps, by your own maps, or just by randomly clicking on the screen in frustration), and you should be able to go down and reroute the power.
I'm assuming you've figured out how to direct the power (and I've forgotten, so I can't help much there). Point it towards the staircase (not for the staircase itself - you're powering the elevator next to the staircase). Then use the stairs and elevator to reach the third level (a lot smaller - a lot harder to get lost in).

#12 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hi thanks for the maps. THey are more detailed than any others I've seen today! I would presume the second level is where I am as the elevator dumped me off on a platform. I've seen the lever to move the staircase but have promptly lost it going back out looking for the platform again (which I did find clicking the screen in frustration LOLOL) and now can't find again. Talk about walking in circles...i've been in and out of the same hut about a billion times.. LOL..I keep thinking Im in a new one and am trying to memorize the vertical lines in the wood on each one :rotflol: :arianna: I am one very Dizzy blonde !

So yes, I found the platform and the lever but when I go back to get the other, I get lost again. Hoping against every fibre of my being that when I get there, something will happen LOL. Thanks....I'll be bacckkk..I hope I can get out of this tonight...Hat's off to the developers of this game :cheesy:

#13 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

View Postauntielola, on Jun 8 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

Hi thanks for the maps. THey are more detailed than any others I've seen today! I would presume the second level is where I am as the elevator dumped me off on a platform.

Yes (well, there's more than one elevator in the Age, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the second level).

Talk about walking in circles...i've been in and out of the same hut about a billion times.. LOL..I keep thinking Im in a new one and am trying to memorize the vertical lines in the wood on each one :cheesy: :rotflol: I am one very Dizzy blonde !

Yeah, that happens. The only ways I've found to get past it (I have some sense of direction, but everything is just so similar) are to use a map or just click randomly for a long time. I prefer the first method - it's much faster. :arianna:

#14 User is offline   auntielola 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

Ok, so I got up to the third level with the help of the maps. I could never have done that without hte maps! :arianna:
I've got a blue page for the book but when I grab the red one, the blue disappears..
I see a knife and a 1/2 note.
Now, do i take that page and attempt to find my way back to the island? Which really at this point seems ridiculous. I liked the island much better than Channelwood!

#15 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

View Postauntielola, on Jun 10 2009, 05:44 AM, said:

I've got a blue page for the book but when I grab the red one, the blue disappears..

Yes, you can only carry one page at a time.

I see a knife and a 1/2 note.

Yep. You can't carry those with you, though (as I'm sure you've figured out). They could be important, though.

On the other stuff you might have found.
Have you seen all three (I believe) rooms on the third story?
So you've seen the hologram with the person chanting at you?
Have you found the controls for that?
They aren't in the same room.
What is this telling you about the people involved?

Now, do i take that page and attempt to find my way back to the island? Which really at this point seems ridiculous. I liked the island much better than Channelwood!

If you think you have found everything important in Channelwood, then the only thing left to do is go back to Myst island with the page (either one). Then you can come back for the other page, or explore around the island (and other Ages) more.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users