MYSTcommunity: Mysterium 2009---Who's Going? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mysterium 2009---Who's Going? Everyone come! Or the Bahro Nekisahl will get you!

#1 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:374576

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

So, who's going to Mysterium #10 in Spokane next month? :cheesy:

I am! :cheesy: And I'm pretty sure M@ is, too.

For all of you thinking of coming, or thinking of NOT coming, just come! Every year, far too many people say to themselves "I'm not committing to coming unless enough people I know are coming, too." But then a lot of THOSE people say the same thing, and then far too many people just don't come for no good reason! So just plan on coming if you can make it!

The thing is, regardless of who's there, we always have a good turnout, & we always have an awesome time :arianna: Plus, the Spokane Mysteria are ALWAYS the best-attended! And I know that Cyan's going through some tough times right now, & they might not have much (if anything) to show us, but we'll still have a good time!

To finish my Mysterium-attendence-encouragement, please read the follwoing, which is most of a letter I posted shortly after Mysterium 2007 in Los Angeles:

-------------------------
Pre-Conceptions:

I don't intend for this post to come off in an "angry" tone, but I do wish to reprimand a great deal of people in general for their lack of faith in Mysterium, and in this Community's abilities. Every year that Mysterium is NOT going to be in Spokane (at Cyan Worlds HQ), there comes a point where you hear some people start saying things like "Mysterium's not going to be very good this year", or "Mysterium's gonna suck this year", or "Hardly anyone's going this year". In the week or two before this last Mysterium, I even saw someone on one of the web-boards saying they thought this might be the LAST Mysterium!

Success:

Just let me set the record straight, as I was AT Mysterium 2007 in Los Angeles: Mysterium this year did NOT suck! The West Coast may have not been the best place to have it (as it was on the West Coast last year). Los Angeles may not have been the best city (distance, size, & cost). Not as many people may have come as in some past years. The Mysterium Planning Committee may not have been there. And there may not have been an itinerary set in advance.

But this was an AWESOME Mysterium! EVERYONE who was there will tell you that! When we all gathered on Thursday night to plan the itinerary for the weekend, there were 2 things we were all hell-bent on: Making this such an awesome weekend that everyone would regret not coming, and making sure that Mysterium happened in the future.

False Ideas:

1- We may not have had as many people as in the past, but in the past, the ENTIRE group rarely stayed together. They usually broke up into several smaller groups--like the size of OUR group this year. And with too many people, you can't really meet & get to know everyone, but this year we ALL got to know each other.
2- The Committee may not have been there, but they're the PLANNING Committee--it may help to have them there, but that doesn't mean the event can't happen without their presence.
3- There may not have been an itinerary set beforehand, but Committee members in the past have said that it's better NOT to have the entire weekend plans set in stone. There has to be flexibility so there's other options if someone doesn't want to do something on the itinerary. And a large city like L.A. has all kinds of options, plus we had lots of locals who attended to suggest ideas & guide people around.

Attitudes:

The thing I hate the most is when people say (either publicly or to themselves) "I'm not committing to going to Mysterium this year until I see who else is going." If EVERYONE said that, then NO ONE would go! I understand that sometimes you just CAN'T afford it. And I understand that sometimes there are unavoidable time-conflicts. But barring those, and if you WANT to attend, just tell yourself "If at all possible, I'm GOING next year!" Or at least "If at all possible, I'm going the next time it's in Spokane!" Tell that to yourself, and start planning & saving NOW!

Additionally, I understand there's a lack of motivation to go when there aren't many people going who you know. Just about all of my close friends that I've seen at past Mysteria couldn't make it to L.A., and out of the 30+ people who attended this year, I had only met 4 or 5 of them, and only knew 2 or 3 of them very well. But even though I didn't know very many people, we all share our PASSION for everything Myst/Uru/D'ni! It was a weekend where we could make the slightest reference to something from one of the other games, and EVERYONE would laugh & love it--something none of us can really do in "real life". It was a weekend of getting to know wonderful, wonderful people with a common passion. And even though I didn't know many people at the start, it was COMPLETELY worth it to go, because I made new and lasting friends.

Summary:

I know things were kind of rocky leading up to this Mysterium, but please, have more faith in this Community! We're not a Utopia, but we're a WONDERFUL group of very capable people, and quite a rarity compared to most online communities. Mysterium has ALWAYS been a blast in the past, and we are NOT going to let any year become the "weak link" simply because of a few problems. No matter what little hurdles come along, the ONLY factor that will decide whether or not a Mysterium is "good" or "bad" is US.
-------------------------

:rotflol:

#2 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

Man, I wish I could go to this, but I'll be on the other end of the country then. :arianna:

#3 User is offline   mysteria13 

• Douchecanoe Sequestration Expert

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

I'll be in the other end of the country too, Z, but I'm driving to Washington!

Uberlutra (on here), Doahveh (also on here) and I, M13, will be there. Lutra and I are driving from New Jersey, though I live in Massachusetts, and we're taking a week to get there. We can't wait.

Or, I can't wait since I shouldn't speak for Lutra. :arianna:

And, I was at Mysterium 2008 - and it was awesome! There were like, 50 people there, including myself and my mother who unfortunately won't be attending this year. I made lots of new friends, several of which I talk to on AIM.

I'm planning on bringing a video camera with me, so I'm going to make a video diary of the entire trip. On our way, there, and back again.

#4 User is offline   Johannes 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

I would if I could but I can't. I takes place on the other side of the world. :arianna:

#5 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

I'm coming. Sure it's all the way on the other side of the country...But that's what my tax refund was for.

Seriously, I used it to book my airfare...I'm not missing a chance to see everyone and to go to the city I have always wanted to go to...

#6 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

View PostJohannes, on Jun 19 2009, 12:22 AM, said:

I would if I could but I can't. I takes place on the other side of the world. :arianna:

Hey, at least you'll have my shoulder to cry on! And that makes two French girls crying about Mysterium! how many more to go? :rotflol:
Sad, sad... when are they making one in Paris? PAAAAAAARIIIIISSSSS!!!! Oh well... Hey, did anybody mention Washington? I might actually go there in September 2010! We'll be moving, and my Dad's got a list between:
-Hong-Kong
-Brussels
-Washington
-Hanoi
-Seoul

^^ Any Mysterium in 2010-2014 coming up THERE? I'd LOVE to go!
And yes, sorry Johannes, I will be deserting my country once again and leaving you to be the only French Myst fan living in France! :P

#7 User is offline   Johannes 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:42 AM

View PostAllatwan, on Jun 19 2009, 12:41 PM, said:

And yes, sorry Johannes, I will be deserting my country once again and leaving you to be the only French Myst fan living in France! :rotflol:

Don't worry, I'll still have Faeliscity's shoulder to cry on (other French Myst fan from DA). :arianna:

#8 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:58 AM

What, really? Faelescity's French? Why do I talk to her in English then? Oh... 'coz I like English better! :rotflol:
LOOL, or maybe 'coz now EVERYONE speaks English... ^^ It's like Latin during the Middle-Ages, and Arabic in the Eastern Crescent- except today, English is probably more spoken than the two combined! It's like "THE" kind of universal language :P

Good, good, I won't feel so guilty! :arianna:

#9 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

You're coming too Nagi?! Yay! It'll be nice to see you again. Is Oos joining you?

#10 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Jun 19 2009, 11:01 AM, said:

You're coming too Nagi?! Yay! It'll be nice to see you again. Is Oos joining you?

It'll be nice to see you again too! I can not wait, but unfortunatly Oos is not joining me. It's rather expensive to fly out to Washington state (which is how I am getting there...) and she doesn't have the money. However, in 2012 (when I beleive Mysterium comes back to the East Coast) she said she will gladly come again.

Thinking about the trip. I am not sure if driving would be cheaper than flying (my way of getting there), but it does give one the advantage of having a way to get around the city...something I still need to figure out.

*Holds up sign* 'I need a ride. I will provide gas money!'

Anybody?

#11 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

View PostShorahNagi, on Jun 19 2009, 04:42 PM, said:

*Holds up sign* 'I need a ride. I will provide gas money!'

Anybody?

As far as I know, Lutra and I are the only two driving, and I know that Taniith said he wanted to, and that his car and our car could leap frog, but I'm not actually sure. Unfortunately, Lutra's car is small - and I'm not taking mine as it's a Mustang, and might stage a revolt and kill me if I drive him any farther than Kentucky - so I really don't know if we'd be able to take you with us.

How much are plane tickets? Why not take a train?

#12 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous
  • KI number:00111929

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:09 AM

I'll be there! I hope that there'll be stuff for an old-school pre-Uru-canon fangirl like me :rotflol: I was on the fence, but then I realized I'd be flying out to the west coast the week after Mysterium to go vacationing with my family, so it would be pretty silly to pass it up (almost as silly as missing the one last year that was practically in my back yard :arianna: )

I'm hoping to put together a couple of Myst-related craft projects to bring with me, but I make no promises :P

#13 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

View Postmysteria13, on Jun 19 2009, 11:44 PM, said:

How much are plane tickets? Why not take a train?

I always fly Southwest Airlines when I travel. I find they are reasonably priced most of the time. Right now, a round trip for one person from Manchester (MHT) to Spokane (GEG) is $588 (This is using the Wanna Get Away fare option)

For my flight which is leaving July 30th and coming back Aug. 3rd; I paid $459. It's just easier than any other form because you get there fast (If flights are on time, I will be in Spokane by 2, and at the hotel by 4 at the latest).

#14 Guest_Doahveh_

• Group: Guest

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

View Postmysteria13, on Jun 18 2009, 09:50 PM, said:

Uberlutra (on here), Doahveh (also on here) and I, M13, will be there. Lutra and I are driving from New Jersey, though I live in Massachusetts, and we're taking a week to get there. We can't wait.

Oh yeah, I totally can't wait! It's going to be awesome! I'm so excited ^_^

#15 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

Aww... I wanna go too. I've always wanted to go to Washington. :arianna:

Maybe in a few years...

#16 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

View PostLostthyme, on Jun 25 2009, 03:22 PM, said:

Aww... I wanna go too. I've always wanted to go to Washington. :arianna:

Maybe in a few years...

Are you on the way?

#17 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

I'm afraid not. Sometimes I think I'm the only Myst fan down here in Alabama.

#18 User is offline   mysteria13 

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

View PostLostthyme, on Jun 25 2009, 10:30 PM, said:

I'm afraid not. Sometimes I think I'm the only Myst fan down here in Alabama.

Alabama? Maybe. I don't have any friends in that state. (Other than you, of course). Sorry...

#19 User is offline   Moiety Jean 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

Brian Fioca and I will definitely be there. Still might possibly convince Saxy to go, though it seems unlikely right now.
Brian and I will have RIUM+ from Australia with us! Woohoo! It'll be good times.

And I'm totally going to wear my Catherine costume. XD

Also, if anyone is driving through Idaho, Lynnutte posted a need for a ride: http://mystonline.co...pic.php?t=17706

Also, Johannes, I'm hearing whispers of a EuroMysterium this year in Switzerland. I don't know if that would be a possibility for you, but it's definitely closer.. http://mystonline.co...p=294459#294459

#20 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

EuroMysterium? That sounds nice! But... why Switzerland? :arianna: I don't know how far that is from where Johannes lives, but it's WAY too far from where I live. Any Mysterium in Hong-Kong around 2010-2011? I'd personally be interested in that...

#21 User is offline   wkwalker 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

After many years of trying, I'll be there. Finally! I have only the vaguest idea of what I'm getting into, but I'm gonna show up.

Bill

#22 User is offline   uberlutra 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:00429457

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hey dudes. Yep, I'm going with M13...road trip, my first, which should be interesting. We decided last year that it had to be done since Mysterium 2008 was pretty much one of the most awesome things that happened in an otherwise terrible year. I'm stealing someone's digital camera and taking pictures, and...M13, your video diary idea sounds quite fun. Can't wait. Realized last year that if all Mysteriums were that awesome, then I'll be spending a lot of time traveling all over the country, eh wot?

I was going to make a costume but then my friend who knew sewing dropped out of school and joined the Navy, so no costume for me. Very sad :arianna:

#23 User is offline   bioman10154 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

they should hold a Mysterium in Latin America. I´ve always wanted to go, but I´ve never gotten the chance. always too far away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users