MYSTcommunity: Mangree puzzle - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Mangree puzzle

#1 User is offline   Kedir ut Sarrak 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

About a year ago, I spoke about my finding a rare copy of Myst IV. I'd never actually had the opportunity to play the game, so when I found the copy itself, I snapped it up.

Now, imagine my surprise when I arrived home to find that my [then] archaic computer had not the hardware requirements to run the game properly.

Anyways, I've since borrowed a more updated machine from a friend whose currently on a two-week vacation. I've been busy playing "Revelation" for most of that time. But now I've come to the dreaded Mangree puzzle. I've read all kinds of threads and discussions that include assistance for this puzzle. Unfortunately, I've neither the time or the patience to continue trying to beat this part of the game. And with only a few days left before my friend returns, I find myself here asking for help.

Please, could anyone tell me where to find any saved games that pick up just after this puzzle? I could try to beat it myself. But as I said, my friend's due to return and will likely want his computer back. And I really want to get on with the rest of the game. Thus, I need a saved game...

HELP!

#2 User is offline   Kedir ut Sarrak 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Any thoughts/assistance with this folks? I'm running out of time with this new computer...

#3 User is offline   realXCV 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

Which mangree puzzle ?

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

[quote name='realXCV' post='380182' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:56 AM']Which mangree puzzle ?[/quote]
I'm guessing the end one.

All I can give is some advice on the puzzle (very spoilery, but it might help you get past it if nobody has a save game file). This is assuming you mean the ending Mangree puzzle in Haven, past Achenar's house on the lake.
Click to reveal hidden content

General purpose: You need to get one of the Mangrees (a specific one) into the tree with the fruit, then have the camoudile run through the middle while you signal the mangree to throw the fruit into the rattlesnake plant (which will stun the camoudile if it is close enough, which will let you through). When you call a specific mangree, it runs off in whatever way is open to it (if there is any open tree to run to, and if it doesn't have the camoudile right under it).

An example of the Mangree call diagrams

The first note in this call (noted by it being on the top [I'm not sure about this point - if it doesn't seem to be working, read bottom-to-top instead]) is a long note (multiple rotations - this is indicated by the long mark) played on the smallest of the calling things (noted by how the symbol above it is the smallest).

To Begin with: Find the signals for each of the mangrees (they are scattered around Achenar's stuff, each is a page with a drawing of a mangree and a chart to show the calls for them). Write down the calls for each mangree. Abbreviations will work (like LL SH for a Long Low pitched call and then a Short High pitched call). Make a diagram of the mangree trees, with circles indicating each tree and lines showing all the pathways that connect them. Cut out pieces of paper (or use coins or other tokens) to indicate each mangree. Position these where each mangree starts out in (you can tell which is which by the calls - notice which responds to which call, and then note where they are).

First: Practice with all the calls. Make sure that you can reliably make the call for throwing the fruit. Cycle the mangrees through the tree with the fruit, and try having each of them throw the fruit. You'll notice that one of them throws it further than the others - write this down (it might be useful to check off each mangree that doesn't throw the fruit far, so that you can make sure you don't repeat them in your tests).

Then: Arrange the mangrees like... well, let me show you.

Starting from the left most tree (the one with the fruit), I number these trees 1-5 (going clockwise, so that "5" is the tree farthest to the right).
You want the setup to have tree 1 empty, and the special mangree in tree 5 (without the camoudile under him). Then, call the special Mangree so that he'll run to tree 1. Then, call the mangree in tree 2, so that he'll run to tree 5. This will cause the camoudile to run through the center. Quickly call for the special mangree to throw a fruit.

According to a walkthrough I've found, all you need to do is turn the wheels in this order
[quote]W1 turn .5; W3 turn 1.5
W3 turn 1.5; W2 turn .5
W1 turn .5; W3 turn 1.5
W1 turn 1.5; W2 turn 1.5
W2 turn .5; W1 turn .5
W1 turn .5; W3 turn 1.5
W3 turn 1.5; W2 turn .5
W1 turn 1.5; W2 turn 1.5
W3 turn 1.5; W2 turn .5
W1 turn .5; W3 turn 1.5
W3 turn 1.5; W1 turn .5; W2 turn .5 (and do it quickly)[/quote]
(I'm assuming it numbers the wheels from left to right, and that the numbers indicate amounts of seconds [so a short note is half a second, and a long note is 1.5 seconds]. If this isn't so, try other interpretations of it.)

If you're talking about the other earlier mangree puzzle...
From [url="http://myst5.com/myst4walkthru.html"]this walkthrough[/url], just like the other quote. [quote]For this one, if you turn the 3rd wheel 1 1/2 times around, the 1st wheel 1/2 times around and the 3rd one again 1 1/2 times around...[/quote]

#5 User is offline   realXCV 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Jul 5 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

(I'm assuming it numbers the wheels from left to right, and that the numbers indicate amounts of seconds [so a short note is half a second, and a long note is 1.5 seconds]. If this isn't so, try other interpretations of it.)

Your assumptions are correct.

A question: what exactly is the problem? Not knowing what to do or not being fast or slow enough?

#6 User is offline   Cocovanna 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:30 AM

Have you installed the officiel update for Revelation? It is pretty important

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users