• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Los Kalabusman The Lost Prisoner

#26 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Yup. That sounds like Atrus, alright. You'd think he expected to be imprisoned. :evil:

#27 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Here's some more. Sorry I don't write in huge volumes. By the way, I made sure to include the words "sickening lurch", as that seems to be the almost unanimous description of the link.

I write now from the small island off of the coast, once again. I'm afraid this first trip has gone very badly. The islanders did apparently see the gateway image in my Myst book. Thankfully, they didn't link through, but they decided that my apparent witchcraft was enough to banish me from their island. I shall link back to Myst after I finish writing, but I'm stumped as to how I should continue research of this age. I surely can make small day trips to this small islet, but this will leave me ignorant of the people's culture, and how it came about in a world of this one's properties. I did find out that this world is called Terrel by it's people, though I still am ignorant of the context. They could have been referring to the island, the planet, or the whole of their universe, for all I know.

I close now. I'm quite hungry, and am looking forward to seeing Catherine and the boys after my incarceration on the main island. I do hope that I find time to continue my work here, but I've actually been pondering on a new age recently. I might just put my exploration of this world on halt until I can clear my head in this new age.

Kala flipped through the rest of the pages. They were blank. Apparently, the man had never found time to come back to this world, Terrel. Or,if he did, he began in a new book.

Part II

I watched as he placed his hand over the moving image on the page. He looked me in the eyes.

"Follow me swiftly."

And he was gone.

My stomach tumbled. He had explained to me what I would see, but it was an altogether different thing for it to be there. The air around him had seemed to bubble for a moment, though it may have been a trick of the light. Either way, I was startled as the full wight of the book was suddenly in my hands.

There it was. An island, living beneath the page. It was quite large, and had a wooded peak, built on top of which was some sort of tower. This was the only detail I saw before I took the plunge and brushed my fingers against the image. The surface was cool and smoky to touch, liked dusty crystal.

Then the page grew and seemed to envelope me. I felt a sickening lurch, and was surrounded by black. My lungs were pressed by the void. After what seemed only a moment, I felt I couldn't live any longer without another drop of oxygen.

Then I was on the rocky shore, gasping for air.

#28 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

Yay, it's back!

So Atrus is going to get some company, a bit early.

I always wondered about what would happen if the "natives" didn't take to kindly to a guy materializing out of thin air.

Terrel is the Age where Sirrus got his gold coins, right?

#29 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

I'm happy to see more of this. Well-written, again; you've got a great Atrus-journal sound.

#30 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

OMFG!!! :pout: :gosh: :gosh: I can't believe I missed this!!!!! It's a GREAT fanfic! I feel so ashamed! And about a Moeity too! :blinky:
You now have one more reader and fan! ;) When's the next chapter? ^^ Sorry to come so late again! ;)

#31 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

Thanks guys. :blinky:
More to come whenever I find time to write.

Yes, Terrel is the age that Sirrus' gold came from. I tried to leave how open-ended, and give the feeling that this age was probably particularly unwelcome to Sirrus.

#32 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

Real small piece here. Had to stop writing pretty quickly.

I stumbled and fell against the sand, pebbles and sharp seashells stinging my hands. I lay on my back and coughed repeatadly, shivering violently, despite the lack of cold. In my naive terror, I closed my eyes, concentrated for a few moments, and was able to get control of myself.

I sat up. My companion stood on the shore, composed, looking around at the condition of the beach. He nodded, which I took to mean we had ended up in the right place. At this reassurance, I took the time to look at the landscape myself.

The beach was narrow, being encroached upon by a thick pine forest. Above that, the land rose steadily towards the peak I had seen, very few areas naked of trees. A thick mist hung in the air, under an overcast sky. The surf was choppy, I saw as I turned around.

A long pier stretched out off of an outcropping of bare land about ten feet down shore. The pier extended into the mist, ending at nearly it's threshold of visibility. Then I noticed something quite strange. A monumental water vessel lay under the surf, only it's mast and lookout post visible a hundred feet above the waves. I must metion that this vessel was quite unprecedented for me. We had used small boats on Riven for fishing, but never anything as large and seaworthy as this. I wanted to explore the vessel, but my companion was walking into the pine forest, gesturing me to follow.

I grudgingly did, walking behind him as he continued along a well tread path that I had barely noticed. He removed a folded paper from his pack as he walked, looking over it and nodding.

"You should take this and look it over," he said, handing me the paper, "It's a map of the area of the island I explored, and all of the landmarks. We're heading to the library now. It seems to be the nerve center of sorts.

#33 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

View Postpadfoot7726, on Jan 6 2010, 04:56 PM, said:

I must metion that this vessel was quite unprecedented for me. We had used small boats on Riven for fishing, but never anything as large and seaworthy as this. I wanted to explore the vessel, but my companion was walking into the pine forest, gesturing me to follow.

I'm not Rivenese, but I wanted to explore more of the ship too! ^^ Lol, I really like this already :blinky:

#34 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

“But.. the boat.... What... is it doing there?” I said, taking the map.

“I... don't know. I checked around. There's not really anything of interest about it as far as I can tell.”

“Hmm... What are these other landmarks?” I asked.

“There's the ship, here on the West shore. There's the Library, to the East of the ship, in the forest. And then there's the cabin to the North of that and the... well... I don't really know what to call it. It's like a sort of giant, fat metal dart, on a platform on the coast to the south of here. When I found it, I noticed some wiring leading further South, and began to follow it, but it was getting dark, so I decided to go back after about a mile.”

“Hmm. Why would you want to power a giant dart? Or could it be that the dart is powering something else?”

“No idea. The library's only a couple of miles up this path. We should make it before sundown, then stay there for the night.”

We made it to the library as the sun was sinking through the mist, it''s foggy shape dimming in the haze.

The library itself was quite a large building. Two floors, and wide. From what I could tell, the exterior was almost solid marble. With no windows, it seemed quite forbidding, but that feeling faded as we walked through the tall oak front doors.

The interior was warm and welcoming. The ceiling of this main chamber extended up both floors, with a walkway around the border of the second floor. From inside, I could easily see the reason for no windows. Tall shelves full of books covered the perimeter of the room. More shelves were lined up in rows throughout the floor, with a reading area in the center.

We immediately walked to the reading area, setting down our previsions and taking a rest. The reading area was octagonal, with an ornate rug in the center, and eight large chairs sat facing the center.

Looking up, I could see a massive octagonal mural of a blue clouded sky, above a large metal chandelier, also eight sided. The effect was quite impressive.

The two rows of shelves extending to the far wall, opposite the doors ended in two paintings. One of them showed the mountain that capped the island. One showed the library itself.

Walking up to the first, I noticed a miniscule seam about a half an inch into the perimeter of the painting. I put my hand to the painting, touching at the seam for a moment. To my surprise, I felt the interior of the painting give to my pressure. I pressed harder, and the painting pushed into the frame about half an inch. I took my hand away, the painting returning to it's original position.

I was about to turn and say something about this, when I heard a low scrape. I froze. The library had been entirely silent, but now I heard the nearly imperceptible, unmistakable sound of wood slowly scraping against wood, echoing through the vast library chamber.

#35 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

:excited, excited: ^^

#36 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

Cool. I like your description of a supersized-Myst Island.

#37 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

After "Supersize me", "Supersize Myst" :blinky:
God I hated that documentary/movie...

#38 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

View PostAllatwan, on Jan 8 2010, 06:00 PM, said:

After "Supersize me", "Supersize Myst" :blinky:
God I hated that documentary/movie...

You saw Supersize Me? So did my sister. She wouldn't eat anything from McDonald's for months. :pout:

I'm liking your expanded, semi-canon version of Myst. Feels like the original, but more realistic in size.

#39 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Lol, yes, but NOTHING will ever stop me from going to Mc. Donlads! :blinky: Ever!
Well, once a while, and with moderation, of course :pout:

#40 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

I've written more of this! Over the course of the last week, while my computer was out of an internet connection and Blender wasn't working, I got some time to write some more.

---

I turned. For a moment, I thought it was my imagination, but there it was. The shelves of the central back shelf were shifting back into the wall, then lowering into a shallow series of stairs, leading into a narrow passage lit by buzzing halogen lamps.

I looked back to speak of it, but he stood standing behind me, as grinningly awestruck as I was.

“Nice find,” he said with a chuckle, “Let's take a look shall we?”

The space was narrow, but certainly traversable. The walls were of aged panels of wood. The light was a sickly yellow green, and the corridor gave the sense of being in a crevasse in a cramped mine shaft. Only after a few minutes of walking did I notice that the space was actually becoming a real rock tunnel. The ceiling became more and more varying in height, and I had to actually duck down to fit in a few places.

At last, we emerged into a cylindrical space, about 15 feet across, paneled with threaded metal sheets. At the center, stood a wide column, with a sliding metal door.

Next to the door was a small white button. I tried it, but found it did nothing. Then, I cautiously opened the door. The inside of the apparatus clashed brilliantly with the dank, cave like corridors we had just left. The walls were paneled with gorgeous red-stained oak, lit comfortably by an overhead light.

A small linearly operated lever and a box of backlit printed text sat invitingly next to the sliding door.

The text currently read “Library” in solid Arabic lettering, all capitals.

Waiting to be joined in the small but comfortable space, I tried the lever.

To my disappointment, it wouldn't move. For a moment, I was stumped, then I understood, and pulled the lever out to a secondary tier of selection. Now it moved with ease, from three vertical positions.

The first was the current level, “Library”. The second, below, read “Household”. The third, above, read “Tower”.

Interested more by the Tower, I pushed in the lever at that level. Immediately, I could hear gears springing into motion. A second, interior door, closed. This one had a window, albeit small, viewing, currently, the threaded metal of the exterior sliding door.

Then, suddenly, and unexpectedly, the car jolted downwards. The motion ended as soon as it started, probably one floor height below the chamber we had just left. Below us, some metallic part of machinery snapped into place. Or at least I was hoping it was 'into' place, and not 'out of'.

We then began a fast sideways acceleration, obviously now on a sort of monorail-like system.

I was expecting this acceleration to stop quickly, but to my surprise, it simply continued. After a minute, it was moving so quickly that it was difficult to stand on my feet. My traveling partner (who's name, by now, I didn't really feel it was very pertinent to ask) was also having this difficulty.

All this time, which was growing into several minutes, the view out of the window did very little to reveal the position of the car. Almost all of the time, there was simply a pitch dark wall of rock and soil, illuminated only by the dampened light from the interior of the car.

All of a sudden, brakes screeched from below and the car quickly ground to a halt. Outside the window, there was now a concrete surface. I could tell that now we were once again in a vertical shaft, and this was proven correct as the car began to ascend.

As the car accelerated, I became aware that outside the window, was a sort of amazing display. As the car moved upwards at a stupendous rate, there appeared a painted counter of depth. It appeared that at every few feet, there was painted the depth of the car. The numbers were aligned quite perfectly, so that when moving past them at great speed, they created a fluid animation of numbers, swiftly decreasing toward zero.

At around 50 feet I expected the car to at least show some sign of slowing, but it did not. Not until 5 feet did the brakes once again spring into action, jarring me almost to the point of falling over.

As the car stopped, the windowed door slid back to the right, and left the exterior door to be easily slid to the other direction. As we both stepped out of the car, we got our first glimpse of the mountain tower.

It was magnificent.

Perfectly open to the air, it was made of polished pine. It was basically a wide deck, extending to the edge of the cusp of the mountain at the island's center.

Directly ahead of the elevator car, A telescope stood, bolted to the railing. As I approached, I could see that it was certainly pointing at something, so before I attempted to move it, I peered through the lens.
It was pointing directly at the sunken ship. The fidelity of the image was amazing. I could see the crash of the surf against the aged wood, making out details that I would have left unnoticed even at close range.

It was then that I understood that the telescope could not be moved. It was bolted securely to a ball and socket joint, atop one of the railing's posts. But the joint was inoperable. It seemed it was controlled from elsewhere. How odd.

#41 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

Yay, a new part. I was just thinking about this story the other day. :eyebrow:

#42 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:15 AM

Yay! I thought you had given up writing it or something :eyebrow:

#43 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

Whoopee! Los Kalabusman! :eyebrow:

#44 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Ha, it's back! :eyebrow:

#45 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

I heard a call from the other side of the tower, and made my way back there.

“There's something written on the back of the elevator. They're dates.”

And so they were. In a small wood framed box on the back of the elevator column, there were three dates printed in the same meticulous manner as that in the elevator.

OCTOBER 11, 1984
10:04 AM
JANUARY 17, 1207
5:46 AM
NOVEMBER 23, 9791
6:57 PM

Feeling a bit unprepared for this, having pen nor paper, I glanced at my partner. He removed from his coat a thin book and a very eastern looking fountain pen. The book was noticeably burned around the edges, so it must have been one from the library. As he opened it though, I saw it was blank. A good idea. I should remember to pick one up myself when we get back there.

“Got them down,” he smiled, “Might be totally useless though. Perhaps this whole tower is only a memorial for the crashed ship, and those dates are related.”

“Hmm...” was all I could muster. I felt out of my league around him. He always seemed one step ahead of me in his thoughts.

“Doesn't seem to be anything else around. But since we have such a great view of the island, I'm going to add to my map. Might take a while. Feel free to go back to the library without me.”

“No, that's fine, I'd love to help you out. Besides, it's a gorgeous view.”

“Yes.” He set about scanning the landscape and making corrections to the topology of his map, adding annotations and such.

I walked to the opposite side and did the same, searching through the groves of pine trees for any sign of construction.

It was only a moment before I did.

Off the coast of the far shore, veiled in mist, lay a tiny separate island. At it's center was a monumental clock tower. It must have been easily half the height of the mountain itself. The clock's face probably stretched further than I could run given ten seconds.

“Take a look at this!” I called. He was there within seconds, and registered the tower as soon as he appeared.

“Wow. You think it works?”

“Maybe. Might be powered by water. In which case it wouldn't matter how long this place has been deserted.”

“Remember. We still don't know for sure if it is.”

“What?”

“Deserted. We don't know for sure. Be cautious.”

“Ah, sure.” The was a certain disquiet about the last two words he said. Be Cautious. They simply rang of bad things to come.

“There's the dart I told you about.” He pointed down onto the landscape below. Near the tree line lay a platform, on top of which sat a long, shadowed bronze shape, bleached dull by the erosion of wind, surf and sun.

“It certainly is odd,” I said, staring intently.

Silence. I looked up. He had already walked to the other side of the tower.

Eventually, something else caught my eye. Something much more subtle. Deep within the forest of pines there was a tree that towered over the others. Normally, I wouldn't think much of it, but after a second look, I spotted something quite odd at it's base.

A hint of red, striking against the lush green of the forest, was hiding at the base of this central giant. I decided I would mention it when we left.

---

#46 User is offline   Andrewnuva199 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:00209849

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Ooh, I like where this is going! Keep it up!

#47 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

little more.

---

The muffled rush of wind started to decline in volume as the elevator car began to fall. The sound of intricate mechanics filled the car as it accelerated downward.

Six items total had been added to the map. The cabin had also been pointed out to me, to the north of the library. Most we found were only subtly visible through the trees. There was the tower itself, the central tree, the clock tower and three others spotted over the course of an hour long search across the forested hills of the island.

One was a monumental gear. We didn't spot it for a while, because it was at the far end of the island, near somewhat to the clock tower. But once we did, we could easily see that it was massive. It was perpendicular to the ground, halfway sunken into a constructed platform.

The next we found was much less visible, and we were still unsure what it was. It was to the south of the library. All we could see of it was the roof. It was dome shaped, and lightly colored. Other than that, no clue could be seen.

The third was more easily visible. It was a tiny greenish brick building. It was mentioned to me that it was almost certainly the source of the cable leading to the dart. The trip back to the library passed in thick conversation, discussing what these things may be for, what the nature of the books were, and other details.

When we arrived, I immediately began browsing the shelves for a suitable blank book. I found one quickly enough, as the shelf beside the passage seemed to be stocked only with books of this type. It was a thick, leather bound book with thin pages. I flipped through them quickly before I was satisfied. Now to simply find a pen.

“Do you know where there might be a pen in here?”

“What? Oh, yeah. On the northwest corner there's a shelf with pens and inks.”

“Thanks.”

I walked around the octagonal structure, making my way to the northwest corner. There it was. A shelf of drawers stood out like a sore thumb, surrounded as it was by myriad books.

The lower shelves seemed to be only jars and jars of ink, ranging from white all the way through the spectrum to black.

The upper drawers held individual thin wooden boxes. Opening one, I found a beautifully crafted fountain pen, made of brass. Putting it in my pocket, I made my way back to the central reading area.

It was at this point that I noticed the small labels on each of the octagon's rows of shelves. They made no sense to me for a moment, then I realized they were Dunn'e numbers, the oblong boxes with such intricate patterns of lines.

I had never learned to read them, and now I wished I had. The idea of exploring such a vast quantity of books without anything to guide me seemed daunting.

#48 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

There were so many. And so many burned. The pages fell to ash when turned. Of the rest, all were simply journals. Each an island of it's own it seemed, except for a few puzzling ones. As I pored over those books for hours, as the sun on Myst grew lower and lower in the sky, I found myself beginning to understand that what these traveling books did was not simply go to another island on a simple ocean, but they “linked”, to use Atrus' term, to Ages, places that seemed entire worlds to me now, entirely separate in reality itself from the other ages.

And this Atrus. He was no mere explorer. That became obvious from the start. He created these places. These realities. He “wrote” them. Perhaps in Dunn'e.

The very thought brought a great clarity to my own history. All of a sudden, I had a somewhat feasible explanation for what had happened to me that day at the edge of the Allatwan. Perhaps I had performed a “Link”, just as described in these books. Perhaps my old world was truly that. An old Age, an old reality, that I had simply shifted from in a way I couldn't yet become close to imagining. The idea made my skin ran cold. The memory of falling into that deep slumber as I fell still haunted me, to be quite truthful. The coldness of the void that I had fallen into had set me on a path towards another reality and away from the one that I had known and sworn to protect from the outsiders like Gehn and his son. Atrus.

That was another thing entirely. Atrus was Gehn's son. I kept no judgmental fashions toward offspring of those whom I disliked, but the idea that THE Atrus was the one who had created this world, and had filled a Library with links to them, just staggered me. Him, the one we were so unsure of. Now it seemed I had my hands full of reasons to give him credit, their pages crisped by the fires which had burned their neighboring partners.

#49 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

View Postpadfoot7726, on Jul 8 2010, 09:11 PM, said:

There were so many. And so many burned. The pages fell to ash when turned. Of the rest, all were simply journals. Each an island of it's own it seemed, except for a few puzzling ones. As I pored over those books for hours, as the sun on Myst grew lower and lower in the sky, I found myself beginning to understand that what these traveling books did was not simply go to another island on a simple ocean, but they “linked”, to use Atrus' term, to Ages, places that seemed entire worlds to me now, entirely separate in reality itself from the other ages.

And this Atrus. He was no mere explorer. That became obvious from the start. He created these places. These realities. He “wrote” them. Perhaps in Dunn'e.

The very thought brought a great clarity to my own history. All of a sudden, I had a somewhat feasible explanation for what had happened to me that day at the edge of the Allatwan. Perhaps I had performed a “Link”, just as described in these books. Perhaps my old world was truly that. An old Age, an old reality, that I had simply shifted from in a way I couldn't yet become close to imagining. The idea made my skin ran cold. The memory of falling into that deep slumber as I fell still haunted me, to be quite truthful. The coldness of the void that I had fallen into had set me on a path towards another reality and away from the one that I had known and sworn to protect from the outsiders like Gehn and his son. Atrus.

That was another thing entirely. Atrus was Gehn's son. I kept no judgmental fashions toward offspring of those whom I disliked, but the idea that THE Atrus was the one who had created this world, and had filled a Library with links to them, just staggered me. Him, the one we were so unsure of. Now it seemed I had my hands full of reasons to give him credit, their pages crisped by the fires which had burned their neighboring partners.

I think this one is particularly well-written. Keep it up, Padfoot! :eyebrow:

#50 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

View PostZenoc2, on Jul 16 2010, 09:00 PM, said:

I think this one is particularly well-written. Keep it up, Padfoot! :eyebrow:

Thanks!
a tiny bit more:

---

It wasn't long before we found the map. It was tucked away in a corner of the library to the northwest side. From a distance, it was colored oddly, so it looked almost like a vaguely descriptive painting of a landscape. Closer, you were able to see that the colors were only a cursory overlay. The real content was in the thin lines sketched over these blurred shapes.

The outline of the island was lightly portrayed here. On top of these were small dots, tiny and black. Comparing these to our own map, we were able to see that these were in the same general place as the points of interest we had spotted from the tower.

Touching the painting lightly, I noticed that it was rough paper stretched over a hard surface, probably wood. But then I felt that beneath each of the black dots, this surface was noticeably raised. I cautiously pressed against one of the black spots. The raised surface beneath clicked downwards. A button.

I waited for several moments, in uneasy anticipation. When nothing occurred, I almost began to speak. Then, under my feet, I realized that I could feel a subtle rumbling. It reminded me greatly of volcanic tremors on Riven, something I had not felt for years. But at the same time, I knew of course this was not a natural phenomenon. For one thing, how could a tremor be triggered by a button?

No, this was mechanical, I was sure. As held my breath and felt these vibrations, I began to hear the ghostly sound, so quiet I was unsure if I was imagining it, of the tinny scrape of stone against stone.

It stopped.

“You felt that?”

“Yes.”

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users