MYSTcommunity: Modern clothing spotted - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Modern clothing spotted on suspicious character

#1 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

I noticed while posting the texture mentioned in my other EoA topic that there's a logo on his shirt.
This logo.

A screenshot for comparison:
Click to reveal hidden content
Posted Image

His trousers look ready made, too, with those rubber bands.

Do you think that he had to *gasp* mix with other people after Catherine died? At least to get food and clothes (or even just clothes, since Ages can produce food but clothes don't grow on trees)? With what money?

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

View Postlaughingpineapple, on Jul 12 2009, 04:33 PM, said:

I noticed while posting the texture mentioned in my other EoA topic that there's a logo on his shirt.
This logo.

A screenshot for comparison:
Click to reveal hidden content
Posted Image

His trousers look ready made, too, with those rubber bands.

Do you think that he had to *gasp* mix with other people after Catherine died? At least to get food and clothes (or even just clothes, since Ages can produce food but clothes don't grow on trees)? With what money?

It's quite possible that he was interacting with humans even before Catherine died. He'd be in contact with the D'ni in Releeshahn at all times (unless there's something there that we don't know about), so I don't think it was due to necessity (unless he just liked Earth clothes better - Catherine would have learned to sew them, but other D'ni wouldn't know). He may just have liked the modest human civilization around him. Perhaps he even visited with the Stranger - he could fit into Earth society without too many problems. (in Rev, he says he'll go to the Cleft for supplies - perhaps he actually means going to human areas? Why exactly would the Cleft have more useful materials than his sprawling estate?)

Also, come to think of it, Earth goods might be cheaper (he'd be using gold or other useful materials he could get from other Ages - he also has a lot of skill with building machines) because there wouldn't be other D'ni who could get the same things just as simply. This could simply be convenient (or him being frugal), or maybe he had financial problems. Many great leaders and artists have been forgotten by their own people when they grow old and die, and many die penniless. It could be that Atrus retreated from D'ni society, and it forgot him for other new leaders and writers. Running out of money, with only his estate at Tomahna (useless to the D'ni at Releeshahn if Atrus would even sell it [both because of its value to him, and because he might not want the D'ni that interested in the surface]), human clothes would be a necessary frugality. Perhaps that could even be how the Zandi's acquired their property around the Cleft - Atrus might have owned it and then sold it to them to get useful human cash. :arianna:

#3 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

It's quite possible that he was interacting with humans even before Catherine died.

I like the hypothesis and I'm glad that there is some sort of confirmation in the games - and in other people's heads. Thanks for the insight, your posts are always helpful!

he could fit into Earth society without too many problems.

At night or with a very large hat, that is - the goggles would stand out :rotflol:

(in Rev, he says he'll go to the Cleft for supplies - perhaps he actually means going to human areas? Why exactly would the Cleft have more useful materials than his sprawling estate?)

A valid point. That had always struck me as weird. "Always" as in "after half an hour spent elaborating the notion that, if he goes to the Cleft without linking, Tomahna must be on Earth", that is.

he'd be using gold or other useful materials he could get from other Ages

Likely. I used gold in a fanfiction set in 1820 where the Stranger tells him that there's a caravan stopping nearby for a couple of days and he ends up playing chess with a French merchant, but I thought that its plot, while possible, was unlikely. Turns out it wasn't... :arianna:

Perhaps that could even be how the Zandi's acquired their property around the Cleft - Atrus might have owned it and then sold it to them to get useful human cash.

Or, on the contrary, he had no idea how land ownership works on Earth, walked to the Cleft one day and found it fenced-in. Dun dun duuuun...
How did he meet Watson, by the way? Is there some canonical source on the matter?

#4 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Jul 12 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

Perhaps that could even be how the Zandi's acquired their property around the Cleft - Atrus might have owned it and then sold it to them to get useful human cash. :arianna:

I kind of like that idea, though my suspicion is that Atrus was long gone by that point.

View Postlaughingpineapple, on Jul 13 2009, 06:27 AM, said:

How did he meet Watson, by the way? Is there some canonical source on the matter?

Probably it was roughly the same as the ending of Myst V.

#5 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

Nope. Watson mentions knowing Atrus in his 2004 diary in To D'ni. "I realize now that Atrus was right. He said that the city in the cavern shoud not be restored. I believed for years that his admonition didn't include those of us from the surface, that we could somehow be a loophole in his concerns. But he was right. I finally see that now." It's likely that it refers to an early stage of the Restoration. Besides, EoA's opening letter and Yeesha's speech imply that Watson already knew Atrus. And there's that "Old friend" at the end.
(and what were Catherine's journals doing in the Cavern all by themselves anyway? Isn't it likely that... ok, maybe not. Wouldn't it be cool, though?)

#6 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

View Postlaughingpineapple, on Jul 13 2009, 06:27 AM, said:

he could fit into Earth society without too many problems.

At night or with a very large hat, that is - the goggles would stand out :arianna:

He fits in... as an eccentric human.

(in Rev, he says he'll go to the Cleft for supplies - perhaps he actually means going to human areas? Why exactly would the Cleft have more useful materials than his sprawling estate?)

A valid point. That had always struck me as weird. "Always" as in "after half an hour spent elaborating the notion that, if he goes to the Cleft without linking, Tomahna must be on Earth", that is.

Of course, it could also be that they wanted to make sure you wouldn't have any other links accessible (having all his books somewhere near the Cleft), but I don't see why paranoid Atrus would do that.

Perhaps that could even be how the Zandi's acquired their property around the Cleft - Atrus might have owned it and then sold it to them to get useful human cash.

Or, on the contrary, he had no idea how land ownership works on Earth, walked to the Cleft one day and found it fenced-in. Dun dun duuuun...

I'd assume that the Stranger would have helped him buy/claim the land around Tomahna and the Cleft (with Atrus' money, of course, or from selling things that he got from Atrus), as the Stranger would probably know at least a little of local law on Earth.

I kind of like that idea, though my suspicion is that Atrus was long gone by that point.

Depends on how long the Zandi's have been around the area, and when Catherine died (because Atrus only left after she died - so knowing when she died would help us know the earliest time when he could have left the surface).

View PostFrom Jul 13 2009, 08:01 AM:

Nope. Watson mentions knowing Atrus in his 2004 diary in To D'ni. "I realize now that Atrus was right. He said that the city in the cavern shoud not be restored. I believed for years that his admonition didn't include those of us from the surface, that we could somehow be a loophole in his concerns. But he was right. I finally see that now." It's likely that it refers to an early stage of the Restoration. Besides, EoA's opening letter and Yeesha's speech imply that Watson already knew Atrus. And there's that "Old friend" at the end.
(and what were Catherine's journals doing in the Cavern all by themselves anyway? Isn't it likely that... ok, maybe not. Wouldn't it be cool, though?)

Watson might not be referring to actually meeting Atrus. Atrus' support of abandoning the caverns would probably have been in Catherine's journals (the ones that would help for the opening sequence in Exile) or other locations. EoA's opening letter does not reference Watson, and may not be addressed to him (or anyone else - it might just be a rant in letter form, not intended for a specific person). Yeesha's speech just tells Watson that Atrus is not there - it doesn't necessarily mean that they would have met before (Yeesha seems to assume that Watson would think that Atrus would perhaps be in K'veer - due to rumor or sightings by other people, perhaps). "Old friend" is often said to be a sign of Atrus' old age and approaching senility, but may also be just referring to Atrus knowing about Watson. The two leaders might not have met before, but would probably have heard of each other in passing. Of course, it still is possible that Watson and Atrus had met before.

#7 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

Hmm...you're right that some aspects of End of Ages suggest that Atrus and Dr. Watson had met before, but there's no indication that they ever encountered one another earlier than 2004. I vaguely recall that Watson may have outright denied meeting Atrus once, but that would probably be in an Uru chat now buried in the mists of time/the Internet.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users