MYSTcommunity: Mini-Mysterium Boston? - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Mini-Mysterium Boston? Cross-posted from UO

#1 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

I also posted this on UO, but since there are many people who hang out here more than there, I decided to post it here, too.

So it seems that there are many more Massachusetts Mysters than I originally thought, and every time I talk to one of them the idea of a Boston gathering comes up. Personally, I think this is a great idea. We could meet in Boston and do stuff :arianna: Like...um...Boston things :P Duck tours, top of the Prudential...uh...What else do tourists do here? :D

Seriously though, are the other Boston-area Mysters liking this plan? I'm terrible at planning things, I think...(I've never tried planning an event, so I don't really know :rotflol: )...So if someone else has any idea about what we could do during our gathering, don't be shy :D

And it wouldn't be limited to just Boston, either. All are welcome, but we'd definitely meet in Boston. Could be a good opportunity for North-Easterners who can't afford plane tickets to Spokane or Minneapolis! :P

#2 User is offline   rivenchan 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

I'm in Lexington, so count me in when/if this happens. Rivenchan@yahoo.com is the best way to reach me if I'm not hanging around in CyanChat. :arianna:

#3 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00111929

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

I like this plan a lot! I have been involved with some event planning in Boston and can probably come up with some ideas... and I was at this Mass Mysteria meetup a while ago (erp, now I feel old!)

Something I liked at Mass Mysteria was the mix of tourist-y things and less cheesy, more Myst-like things. I'm in the middle of a family vacation just now, but when I get back I'd love to do a bit of research on places to go and activities to do :arianna: I like the idea of doing this sometime in the winter, midway between macro-Mysteriums.

EDIT: but oh my goodness, not during MLK weekend, it's fully booked already for me at least. Though a Myst-ish Mystery Hunt team would be pretty neat :rotflol:

#4 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Ok, I definitely think between Mysteriums is a good idea, and I'm glad that I won't have to plan the whole thing! :arianna:

I like that Mysteriums are, as you said, a combination of touristy-things and myst things. I think it's a good pattern, and we should definitely try to follow it. I think perhaps my favorite event this year was the marker missions, but I feel like perhaps with the (much) smaller projected attendance of a mini-Mysterium, organized team-based events like that would be somewhat difficult :rotflol:

That being said, if we can figure out a way to do it Mysterium events on a smaller scale, it would be awesome :P

#5 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

I must agree that it is a great idea. I'm just over the border in New Hampshire, and let me tll you...I sometimes feel like I am the only Myst-fan in the state (there are others, but none quite as crazy as me)

It would be good to have some tourist and some myst-things. Something that occure to me that could be done would be a tour of Mount Auburn cemetary just over the line in Cambridge/Watertown. There are many an interesting gravestone (knows of one shaped like a perfect cube), not to mention the ponds, the tower that you can climb, and the various statues within (there's a Spinx within the cemetary as a Civil War memorial if memory serves) Everytime I visit my departed loved ones, it always has this mysterious vibe to it whether I am near a loved one or not.

I don't know if I could offer much help, but I'll do my best to lend a hand if I can...

#6 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

OK, I'm back from vacation and ready to start researching stuff!

The graveyard sounds really neat, though I worry about whether it'd be very respectful for a bunch of potentially silly fans to wander through it... if there was an official tour, maybe that would work best. Here's info on group tours... looks like advance registration is required, there's a cap of 25 people, and you don't get a guide unless you want to give them money. It could be doable, though.

Some more ideas:
Boston Commons might be a neat place for a picnic if the weather permits. There's this neat domed gazebo and stuff.
The Charles River Museum of Industry is a bit of a trek out from Boston proper, but you can get there via commuter rail... it is full of extremely awesome old machines--steam-powered things, watches, weird gizmos, etc. I'll try to make a visit myself in the next few weeks to see if it'd be worth the hassle for a group.
Harvard Museum of Natural History--includes amazingly realistic plant models made from glass, and lots of neat fossils and mineral samples that wouldn't look out of place in Atrus's office :arianna:

Hits from past Mass Mysteria:
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum -- there's a garden in the middle, and lots of weird old things in the building itself.
New England Aquarium -- hooray for weird sea creatures! I don't think they have wahrks yet, though...
Museum of Fine Arts -- Ancient art in particular
Pharaoh Tomb -- interactive Egyptian tomb exploration

Please post suggestions as you think of them! The more options for Myst-like events and activities we know about, the better the final plan will be (hopefully) :rotflol: Oh, and is there discussion of this on other forums? I don't travel outside of MC all that often...

Timing questions: What month is the least likely to leave us completely rained/snowed/frozen out of outdoor activities? Do we want to err on the side of sooner (more momentum from Mysterium) or later (maybe the weather will be spring-like)? My gut instinct is to plan this for mid-to-late fall, and if it goes really well, maybe we'll have one in the spring too! And would people be interested in two days' worth of stuff, or should we try to keep it to a single day?

#7 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

This is the only other discussion of this, on UO. I also have brought it up on Cyan Chat a few times. :arianna:

All that stuff seems pretty good, there's also the Science Museum and a few zoos (Franklin Park, etc), if we need more to do :rotflol:

#8 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Those are all good ideas. In fact, Tomb was done as part of Mysterium 2008 (quite enjoyable actually, however better done in a small group)

As for the cemetary, they do run tours and as long as you maintain respect for everyone (both the living and the dead) and follow the rules.

Most likely, the museums would be the best choice because they have the most balance between tourist and Myst. The Museum of Science does tend to get crowded on the weekends...especially at night for that is when they do things like Lazer Floyd and Lazer Queen (might be something to consider)

As for meet-up time, I think mid to late fall is good. The trees in the common will be in color, and the museums might not be as crowded with the kids back in school. It would probably best to do it on a week-end (many people don't work the week-ends...I unfortunatly do :arianna: )The sooner we can set a date, the easier it would be to schdule and plan things as well as to give people a chance to get the days off if need be...

I'd say shoot for around the middle of october. It's enough time from now to plan everything, yet close enough to keep the intrest up.

#9 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

I think that the best time would be during a school vacation, because I happen to be one of those kids in school, as are a few others in the area :rotflol:

This would probably mean more people at museums and the like, but if it's any other time (even a weekend), I'm going to have a lot of homework to do, and that will spoil the fun for me (and I suspect I'm not alone). It could even be on a weekend during a school break, if that makes it more convenient for those with work.

That being said, I don't have any substantial vacations until winter break, around Christmas :arianna: A few long weekends here and there, but I'll still have homework :P

#10 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Well, October 12 is Columbus Day... that means a three-day weekend for some people, though I don't know about the school system. What's the timeframe for a typical winter break? What about having a 1-day-of-events meetup on the middle day of a 3-day weekend?

#11 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

Typical timeframe for winter break (remembering NH school system) was usually between december 22-23 to january 3-4. because we always had both Christmas and New Year's off.

School vacation weeks are good, but if MA follows the NH system (which I know sometimes they are a week behind), this puts us in the timeframe of snow and ice, so getting around might be hindered a little and things that would be done outdoors (such as a picnic in the Common or a walking tour).

I'm trying to remember if (besides Columbus Day) there are any other holidays that get school's out for the weekend or the day...

http://www.doe.mass....s/holidays.html

This link has a list of all the holidays this year that people observe. The bold ones indicate State holidays (such as Labor Day and Columbus Day)

I would say either the Columbus Day set or maybe Veteran's Day in Novemember. Those dates (while I will agree things may be crowded) would probably work best. As for what to do, I suggest a 1-day plan for the winter (easier to take weather into account) and then in the spring, maybe plan for a long weekend like get-together.

#12 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

So do we all agree that we'll do a one-day gathering in october or november, and then a longer one during winter or spring break?

Also, we could still have fun in the winter, especially if it snows. Being the creative types we are, it shouldn't be difficult to build something with snow :P

The largest time that I have off in October or November is Thanksgiving break, which is wednesday the 25th through sunday the 29th, but since that's Thanksgiving, people will probably be busy :arianna:

I'm in favor of Columbus day weekend for our first gathering :rotflol: Veterans' day falls on a wednesday this year, which is not so great.

#13 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Keep in mind that college students also often have to fly home during that early January/late December timeframe and for Thanksgiving, but not typically for other holidays...

I don't know about committing to a longer winter/spring break gathering until after we've seen how a 1-day event works, but it seems like a good idea in theory :arianna:

Sooo.... Columbus day weekend, by process of elimination? :rotflol:

#14 User is offline   Odo'Ital 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Might I point out, as well, MIT's innovations museum? It's cheap (free on Sunday), and I've heard awesome things about the holography and robotics collections... kinda wish we'd planned a trip out there during 2008, because it was right off of the public transportation line we took to go downtown for TOMB.

#15 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

Ooh, good point! They have all sorts of cool things at the museum. I'm going to scout out the CRMI this weekend; maybe I'll look into the MIT Museum while I'm at it. (Mostly to see how much time we'd need to feel like we'd seen the places without rushing or getting bored, and in the case of the CRMI, whether the transportation there is convenient.)

I'm going to start a poll thread to see if Columbus Day weekend is good for people; let's keep using this thread for activities/places to go :arianna:

#16 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Ooo, definitely the MIT museum, it's been a few years since I was last there.

#17 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

Just got back from the CRMI + stopping for ice cream :arianna: Oh my goodness, it is awesome. There's a bunch of steam-powered machinery, tiiiiiny watch parts and the tools for making them (!) and woven core memory from the Apollo project AND A GUY WHO WORKED ON IT. And the space around it is really lovely, there's a dam on the river and a bridge across it, and a big park a couple of blocks away. It is like Voltaic: The Museum. AND the bus that goes there picks up every 10 minutes from a spot that's only a couple of blocks away from the MIT museum. The bus ride is about 45 minutes, which is kind of long, but parts of the scenery are very nice, and we can talk and/or show off portable (and non-fragile) Myst projects and stuff?

Here's an example itinerary for going to both the MIT museum and the CRMI (assuming that this happens on a Saturday):

Morning: Meet up, then head to the MIT museum--the museum opens at 10am and takes 1 to 2 hours to see.

Lunch: there are a bunch of nearby restaurants as well as a grocery store--we can either go to a restaurant in one big group, or scatter and meet up with food somewhere. If it's nice outside, there's a great outdoor common space with tables, and if the weather is bad and we want to scatter-and-meet-up, I can probably get permission from my old dorm to use their big lounge for our lunch (it's across the street from the museum, and around the block from the grocery store).

Afternoon: bus to CRMI, wander around CRMI, wander around the footbridge and maybe the park if the weather is nice

Evening: haven't worked out what would happen then--presumably dinner, and then... Something Else afterwards? If people aren't worn out from the day's activities, anyway.

I feel like the Something Else should be art or archeology or music-related--the two museums plus the park have technology and nature, but I feel like the Myst aesthetic also requires a good dollop of the arts&humanities :rotflol: If there's interest in "something related to the humanities", I can start looking for events or places for that. AND/OR we could do a Mysterium-like activity, like What Would Atrus Build or a riddle trail (I think I saw mention of a "find the linking book" event at past Mass Mysteria). Outdoor Mysterium-like activities could be done in the park near CRMI; for indoor things, again, I can probably find us a space in my old dorm or in the MIT campus.

Any thoughts? Are two geeky museums overkill, or is one being modern technology and one being antique technology enough to keep us from getting sick of museums? Does anyone have a phobia of buses?

#18 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

I like this plan a lot! :arianna: I definitely think we should have non-museum activities as well, like you said. Some kind of mysterium-specific event like WWAD or the marker missions.

#19 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

Here's a thought on something to do. I was in Boston today (near Faneuil Hall to be exact) and I saw one of the Trolley Tours go by. It came to me that if we take a trolley tour, we can get on and off at stops that might interest us, then get back on and go somewhere else. Doing something like this would actually take care of getting around the City and to various things.

They offer tours for Boston, Cambridge, and Salem (which might be fun to do because October and Halloween).

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/

There's not much information on the tours on the site, but I do have one of their maps and these are the places they go:

BOSTON: The Aquarium/Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere House, Old North Church/North End, USS Constitution, North Station, Old State House, Boston Common, Beacon Hill/Statehouse, and the Convention Center

SALEM: Salem Maritime National Historic Site, House of Seven Gables, Blaney Wharf, Salem Witch Museum, Downtown Salem, and the Witch House.

Plus between now and October, if you purchase a tour, you get a free Boston Harbor Cruise or free admission to the Sports Museum at North Station.

Just something to consider.

#20 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

I am not really enthused about riding in a trolley--they're actually just buses that look like trolleys, they don't go on tracks, and they're way more expensive than public transit (and I know I wouldn't make use of the free harbor cruise or sports museum admission). In the Boston area, what trolley-related stuff is interesting enough to go to it independent of the fact that it's near a trolley stop? (The aquarium is the only thing that really stands out to me.) Salem does in fact sound neat, but I personally vote for rivers and steam engines rather than witches, if we're going to take a bus-like vehicle out of the city :rotflol:

Oh! If there's interest in WWAD, I can go to the MIT electronics flea market and get $10 worth of bargain-bin broken electronic bits or something along with some hot glue guns and duct tape... that would be pretty easy for me to do between now and then. I'm not sure about marker missions, but I can look into writing a Myst-like riddle trail somewhere near wherever we end up going :arianna:

#21 User is offline   mysteria13 

• Douchecanoe Sequestration Expert

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Don't forget Quincey Market! I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life, and while Boston is not one of the finer points of my life, I'd love to come too. I'd drag Lutra and Reelah along too!

I think the one problem with doing the museums and things here is that well...most of us who live here, haven't we already gone to the Science Museum 8.000 times in our lives? I know I have. Aquarium too, and many of the other tourist things. Too bad the water is too cool...

#22 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:03 AM

View Postmysteria13, on Aug 23 2009, 12:45 AM, said:

I think the one problem with doing the museums and things here is that well...most of us who live here, haven't we already gone to the Science Museum 8.000 times in our lives? I know I have. Aquarium too, and many of the other tourist things. Too bad the water is too cool...

You have a point about the museums, but they are still fun. Plus, the fact that you would go with a bunch of Myst fans just makes it better because you would have someone to joke around with when it comes to items within a museum (For example; take any old piece of machinery, look it over, ask an employee if in order to make it work, you need to try moving the slider).

#23 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

SO! We've planned for this friday, my friends. But what exactly is our plan?

#24 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

Augh, real life has totally distracted me from planning this. And, um, Saturday or Friday? I don't have the day off on Friday :/

It does seem to be unseasonably warm! It's supposed to rain on Friday but not on Saturday.

Yea or nay on the CRMI? Pretty park *and* old machinery that looks like it fell out of a Myst game... :D

#25 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

I agree with you Riven, Real life really gets distracting doesn't it?

As for the weather *checks the doppler* Friday is showing showers (40% chance) while Saturday is only showing light showers (30%)

Both of them are showing to be around the same temperature (63 - 63) which, while slightly unseasonable, just makes me think Indian Summer is coming earlier than it's usual time...

But as for the dates, I sadly have to work the Friday, but I have both the Saturday and the Sunday off

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users