MYSTcommunity: Playing Exile First? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Playing Exile First?

#1 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:00804795

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

I recently ordered Myst IV, Myst V, and Myst URU from Amazon in order to finally complete my entire Myst experience, and after ordering cheap used ones was not only surprised to find they arrived the next day for the cost of standard shipping, but the Myst IV version I ordered must be special because it also came with a copy of Exile in the back. This would be great, but since I bought the 10th Anniversary Edition Myst, I already own Exile. I'm considering letting a friend have it, because I think he would like puzzle games and I enjoy knowing how well he did on them since he's 10x better than me at them. :arianna: Would it be safe to play Exile first, or would listening to Saavedro rant on and on about how evil the brothers were too greatly ruin the choice endings in Myst and possibly throw off a first time Myst player by making them not want to gather either blue or red pages, fully aware that neither brother is a good choice to free?

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention. Don't start making offers or ask me for the extra copy of Exile, cause you won't get it. I don't mail things to people I don't know.

#2 User is offline   realXCV 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

The Myst IV edition you've got is the limited edition which is less limited than the standard edition.

Always better to start from the beginning.

Can I have your extra copy of Exile? :arianna:

#3 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

Ya, that's what I thought. Oh well, guess I'll just hold onto this extra copy of Exile.

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

I did perfectly fine with Exile as my first real Myst game (I had watched Myst and Riven be played, though). Still, it's probably best to start with Myst. Unless the graphics/storyline/tech will make a person give up the series because of the first game, it is a lot better to start with it.

#5 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

Ya, since Myst is so strong on atmosphere and story, as opposed to gameplay since it's just clicking things, I'm worried that playing them out of order will ruin the story.

#6 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'd say that Myst or Uru are the best starting points, Reve and EoA the worst, while Riven and Exile are in-between. If you think that your friend might be turned off by the outdated graphics, maybe...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users