MYSTcommunity: What Would've Made Myst V Better? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

What Would've Made Myst V Better? Since we have one for all the others...

#1 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

So basically, if you could remake Myst V, how would you have changed it.

First of all, I would have made it prerendered with 360 degree panning, like Exile, with actual actors integrated via bluescreen.

Also, instead of the Ages in the game, which makes it feel like URU 2 rather than Myst V. Instead of Laki, Todelmer, Noloben, and Taghira, I would have an Age from each of the previous games.
So:
Myst-Myst Island (obviously :D )
Riven-Riven (with time travel, this is possible)
Myst III-J'nanin/Narayan (Narayan might be interesting, but J'nanin keeps with the 'hub' theme in Riven and Myst)
Myst IV-not sure which would work here, really

I would make the slate puzzles less prominent, limiting them to only perhaps one per age, and a final slate puzzle to unlock the Tablet. Also, I would include more time travel, which I think is a interesting feature hinted at in the real Myst V that wasn't taken to it's full potential. It would be really wild if the player could go back in time into the previous games.

As for the whole Yeesha/Esher/Bahro plot, first, I'd either make Esher more sinister, or make him a conflicted villain like Saavedro, as I feel somewhat sorry for him, the way he is in game. Secondly, I would make it a little more clear as to what the Tablet exactly is, and why it is important to the plot.

#2 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

I like all of Shinkansen's ideas. The whole concept of time travel would be really interesting. And no slates would be wonderful.

What really would have made End of Ages a good game is if you could
Click to reveal hidden content
actually explore Releeshan. I mean, they tease it with you in both Exile and End of Ages. The least (no pun intended) they could do is let you run around and jump off of things a bit.

I think what would tie it in better than the rest of the series, graphics-wise, would be to scrap the fake characters and use real people that we can actually relate to. I found that most of the expressions both Yeesha and Esher made were hilarious, and I spent most of my time laughing at them instead of sympathizing with them.

And a clear explanation of what the heek the bahro are and why they're so important. Please.

Now that I think about it, maybe drop the whole tablet thing altogether. I just felt that the whole tablet quest thing came out of left field when I was playing. Before this, there was no mention of it.

#3 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:43 AM

Giving Cyan more time to make the game would definitely help. There were a number of things that got cut because of the deadline.

A few specific things I think would have made Myst V better: first, the Ages felt very empty and needed all the little details that fill out a world and hint at its past. Second, give more explanation on the Bahro and on Esher's back-story. Third, work out the bugs with the Slates.

View PostLostthyme, on Sep 6 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

I think what would tie it in better than the rest of the series, graphics-wise, would be to scrap the fake characters and use real people that we can actually relate to. I found that most of the expressions both Yeesha and Esher made were hilarious, and I spent most of my time laughing at them instead of sympathizing with them.

The expressions were the one real part of the characters. ???

#4 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

View PostTalashar, on Sep 7 2009, 06:43 AM, said:

View PostLostthyme, on Sep 6 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

The expressions were the one real part of the characters. ???

Yes, the faces were film recordings of the actual actors pasted onto the 3D models, but what made it look fake was that the 3D generated person didn't move to match the movements of the face. For example, Esher's jaw doesn't move when he laughs, so it makes it look like his mouth is disappearing into his chin, rather than making his chin and jaw move down when he opens his mouth.

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Let's see. There's two totally different ways I would think of in approaching this.

1. As an expansion of Uru. For this, I'd keep the realtime (for obvious reasons) and the Ages. It would have an avatar, though (not Dr. Watson as the ambiguous Stranger). Esher would have a better backstory, which would be related to in journals and in better speeches. He'd be more like Gehn - a very realistic and human villain, with tragic and friendly hints in his character. He would not appear everywhere all the time. When he did appear, he wouldn't just be showing off his insane linking skills - he'd walk in or be sitting there in a rational fashion. The slates would be less overused. The bahro's backstory would be finally explained. Going back in time might be very interesting (especially with an Uru avatar - when you can sit by and watch exactly what you did before).

2. As the final Myst game, connected to Uru only a little more than the other games. For this, I would return to 360 degree panoramics and live action. Atrus would be a more major character (not necessarily present during a lot of it, but still more major), as well as Esher and Yeesha. I might start in Tomahna, and from there head to the Volcano and the tunnels into D'ni (it would make an awesome starting sequence, along with sad Atrus and the sandstorm). I'd make the same changes to Esher (deeper, more human character, less annoying). Atrus, perhaps in journal form, would explain the bahro somewhat. Esher or Yeesha could chronicle the rest. The slates would be used in only a few puzzles (maybe not even slates as we know them - writing on paper, perhaps, or with chalk on certain surfaces). The Ages would be different. Perhaps one Age that Yeesha (or maybe Calam) wrote. The whole quest would be different. It wouldn't be a Yeesha-esque journey. There would be some reasoning behind it (I'm not sure yet what - maybe summoning the bahro to something so you can tell them something important [Esher would want you to control them for him, Yeesha would want you to free them]?).

#6 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:00804795

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

1) Ducktape Esher's mouth shut
2) Make it part of URU instead of Myst V which gave the wrong impression
3) Explain the Bahro better
4) Remove some of the slate puzzles, way too many
5) Only make it realtime if it's more like URU where it works, otherwise go back to 360 panoramic
6) Make the puzzles a little more obvious. I know Myst is suppose to be hard, but whatever the space age was (bad with age names), it's first puzzle with the ropes didn't make much sense to me and it was mostly a game of hide-and-seek with a telescope than anything, but without any real way of knowing it was a game of hide-and-seek
7) Explain Bahro powers specifically better. The bubbles and slates just seemed to jump out of nowhere and completely alter what we already knew about how the Myst universe works, which was linking books. URU focuses back on the books against, but Myst V just seemed to throw it all out the window

I think the first one is probably the most important one, but that's just me.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users