• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

200 Years my attempt at writing :D

#51 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

I hope Veovis does something drastic and crazy. Despite the fact that he's old, grey, and probably crippled by this point.

And now I'm cracking up at the thought of Veovis with a long beard and a cane. Shouting at kids to get off of his lawn. And I bet all of his Halloween candy is poisoned.

Click to reveal hidden content
You dang-blasted surface dwelling hooligans! Yeh better ge' offa my lawn before I get over there! *waves cane*

#52 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

View PostShinkansen, on Oct 23 2009, 01:44 PM, said:

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Oct 23 2009, 02:28 PM, said:

View PostAllatwan, on Oct 23 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

AHHHH!!!! Restless? What will they do NOW? Suspence, suspence... ^^ Love it!

Obviously they are going to take a nap, and then they'll not be restless. :miw: Then Moss will be antagonistic by not offering them cake on their birthdays, but eventually someone will give them it and they'll be happy. :evil:

That comment is certainly made of Tin and Possum :evil: .
Obviously, what's going to happen is Yeesha is going to show up and yell at the D'ni because they are supposed to have died two hundred years ago, and then she'll turn Justin into a yak, and make him give rides to children. :rotflol:

bahro children!
Posted Image

#53 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Eight

Corporal Ramos could see the group of men in the distance with the aid of his binoculars. Unfortunately, the intruders had seen Ramos and his men, as they had stopped their approach and were taking what looked like defensive positions.

"What are our orders, sir," one of the soldiers asked, also looking through binoculars.

"The Colonel wants us hold our positions and stop the intruders if they advance on us," Ramos said, slightly unsure of himself. When the intruders had been spotted, there had been only three soldiers in the camp. There were at least ten men in the opposing group.

Ramos looked through his binoculars again. The intruders were dressed similarly to the prisoners, but they had a different look to them. While the four men in the tent were similar to the scientists at the camp, the new group looked like soldiers. They were all armed. Ramos doubted that they would make the mistake of walking into a camp unarmed in the middle of the night.
Guild Captain Patul surveyed the encampment through his goggles. He had been expecting to find the four missing guildsmen as corpses, but now he was starting to wonder if they were alive. The fact that the natives walking around the camp had not come over to the Maintainers seemed to back up this. There were three men, all clad in green, and each was carrying an item that looked disturbingly like a gun. They would not be so organized if we were a surprise, Patul thought. He reset the magnifier in his goggles and activated his communicator.

"Master Needrah, this is Captain Patul reporting."

"Yes, what have you found," the Guild Master's voice replied clearly.

"We have come across a native encampment or village. The actions of the natives suggest they have encountered or captured the survey team."

"Why do you think that, Captain?"

"They seemed to have been expecting us, Guild Master. There are armed sentries patrolling the edge of the village. I cannot be sure that they did not kill the survey team, but as they have not attacked us, so the team might be in their custody."

"Yes, Captain. Stand by for further instructions." The transmission ended.

Stand by. The typical D'ni response. Patul did not mind, of course. He'd rather wait than loose men in a ill-planned assault on the village. As for the natives, though, Patul was not sure he could count on them to "stand by".

He turned to his next in command. "Set up camp. We are to continue observation until further notice."

"Yes, Guild Captain."
Justin and Loftin waited in the back of one of the trucks, watching the sun set. Justin would have rather just talked to Watson and Loftin anytime, but he couldn't risk Moss or Pritcher overhearing what could be considered a mutinous conversation. So he had slipped them both notes at lunch, instructing them to meet in the motor pool at eight.

They were still waiting for Watson. He finally wandered into the motor pool nonchalantly, ten minutes late, wearing his baseball cap and blue nylon vest. He climbed up into the truck and sat down on the bench running the length of the truck.

"So, what's this all this, then," Watson asked, breathing heavily.

Justin exhaled, preparing himself for what he was about to say.

"I'm sure you're both aware, but there is a large group of armed tunnel-men outside the camp. I have to tell you that if I was still the one in charge, I would have released the prisoners to them. But, as circumstance would have it, the good colonel is in charge now. He wants to keep the prisoners as a sign of strength, no doubt.

"So, I just wanted to say that I, uh, was going to try and help the prisoners escape, so to say. What I'm doing will probably land me a court martial, so I thought I'd tell someone why I am doing what I did. A witness on my side could be very helpful."

Both Loftin and Watson stared at Justin. After a few seconds, Loftin spoke. "You think you can trust us?"

"I know I can trust you, Loftin. You've been unhappy about military interference since I got here. If Moss has his way, our four friends will be sent to some research facility to spend the rest of their lives. Neither of us want that."

"No," Loftin said, crossing his arms.

"Why am I here, then?" Watson asked, "I'm still in shock over the whole situation. I can understand why you want Loftin in on your little coup, Lieutenant, but why me?"

"Because, we, all of us, need to be able to communicate with not just the prisoners but the rest of them. If this thing is as big as I think it is...communication is essential. Continue teaching that one man English, ok? Moss already told you to do that anyway, I'm sure, so that won't raise suspicions. I'm not going to attempt to free the prisoners unless I can communicate with them, so tell me when that one man is somewhat competent, Watson."

"Ok."

"So, not a word to anybody else, ok?"

The two other men nodded, and exited the truck.

Justin remained, still thinking about what he had decided to do. One thing still worried him. To get to the prisoners, he would have to take care of the guard. To do that, he needed...
"I am sorry, Veovis, but I cannot do that. It is beyond my authority."

Veovis sat in front of the desk of Suahrnir, keeper of the Prison Ages, and Veovis' friend inside the Maintainers. Veovis spoke angrily, "Why, Suahrnir? You are a Master Maintainer, only Lord Ri'anis is above you-"

Suahrnir cut in, "Yes, I know that, but we are not the Writers. The duties of the Maintainers are so varied we might as well be ten guilds. I cannot give you the details of the surface expedition no more than you could dictate recipes to the Caterers."

Veovis exhaled, "Fine, fine. Could you at least get me a communicator, for, say educational purposes?"

Suahrnir smiled and shook his head. "You are relentless, Veovis. I could get you a communicator. It is not unusual for us to give them to other guilds. Though, of course, I'll suppose you will be wanting a Maintainer-model, yes?"

"Indeed, my friend."
Later, Veovis sat in his room on K'veer operating the communicator.

The communicator was an incredible device, capable of not only person to person communication or information storage, but also communications across the void between Ages. But it was the model used by the Maintainers that the communicator reached its full potential. Each Maintainer-model communicator had access to the entire network allowing instant contact between any two communicators in existence. Also, conversations between Maintainer units were not monitored. Veovis, of course, knew all this.

Still, this new technology was somewhat difficult for a old man like Veovis. He stumbled through multi-layered menus, trying to navigate the huge network of communicators, looking for one belonging to the rescue team. Veovis could have given the tedious task to his servant, but something like this required discretion.

After taking a guess that the team would be made up from members of the City Guards, Veovis found a group of fifteen men, arranged by rank, their names highlighted in deep red. It would have been much too obvious to talk with the leader directly. Veovis needed someone pliable, yet knowledgeable of the situation. He selected a Guildman Venash from the middle of the list, and pressed the "talk" button.

"Who is this?" Venash's voice sounded out from the communicator.

Veovis paused, savouring the moment. The guildsman was still asking about who was calling him.

Veovis finally spoke into the communicator. "Guildsman, this is Lord Veovis, Grand Master of the Writer's Guild."

There was a coughing noise, and the Guildsman spluttered, "My Lord! I...I...forgive me, I did not know that the Lords were going to be contacting us."

"The Lords are not, but I am, guildsmen. I am talking to you because, unfortunately, your superiors in the Maintainers have not been as forthcoming with information as they should be. What has been going on there, Guildsman?"

"We...we have been conducting surveillance on a surface dweller settlement, where Captain Patul believes the survey team is being held captive, my Lord."

"Why does Captain Patul believe that the survey team is being held captive?"

"The surface dwellers are...are not behaving like we would expect them to. They have not tried to investigate us. We...Captain Patul believes that they have already met the survey team." The guildsman was becoming more confident now. "The organization of the surface dwellers' actions suggests that they are not a mindless, violent, mob, my Lord."

"I see. Why have not attempts been made to rescue the survey team, Guildsmen?"

"They are...the surface dwellers appear to be armed, and have a superior defensive position, my Lord."

"Thank you, Guildsman. Do not be surprised to hear from me again in the future. I have taken an interest in these events."

"Yes, m-my Lord." There was fearful tone in the Guildsman's voice. Veovis deactivated the communicator.

Veovis found it hard to believe that a native rabble could give pause to a group of Maintainers, yet why would Veovis have been lied to? The Guild Captain believed the survey team to still be alive. What could the surface dwellers gain by holding the survey team?

Despite his doubts, Veovis believed the Maintainer when he said they suspected the survey team still alive. The surface dwellers would not be holding the team unless they had something to gain. Veovis had been expecting any inhabitants of the surface to be brutish and violent, but these actions suggested an intelligence, a devious intelligence. And if their weaponry was formidable enough to worry the Maintainers, it was entirely possible that they could overpower the tunnel's defenses. All the more reason to stop this foolish course of action before things spiraled out of hand.

The maddening thing was Veovis could do nothing. He had just gone around the back of both the Council and the other Lords, something that could cost Veovis his position on the council, a prison sentence if he was unlucky.

But he could do nothing, not with the future of the D'ni at risk.

Veovis paced around his room, unsure of what to do for the first time in his life.
A week of frustration and impatience had left its mark on Moss. Things were going much too slow, in his' opinion. Neither the soldiers in the camp nor the group of mysterious men surrounding the camp had made a move to break the standoff. The group of men had surrounded the camp, effectively cutting them off from the outside world. As there were only three soldier in the camp, and nearly fifteen in the surrounding force, a forceful breaking of the "blockade" would have been suicidal.

Although Watson and the college student had been somewhat successful in teaching English to that one prisoner, he seemed less than willing to provide information. All the prisoner had volunteered was that he was from "Dunny", whatever that meant.

Moss had contacted his superiors, via radio, about the group of men. They had agreed about sitting tight for the moment.

There was one thing that had been puzzling Moss. Maneris had said that he had been wounded accidentally by the prisoner shot by Corporal Ramos. The thing was, the prisoners seemed to have had no weapons with them. There were, of course, the communicators, which Moss wanted moved to a research facility as soon as possible, but no evidence of any weapons. Moss gave it no thought most of the time.

If Moss had taken the initiative to investigate the matter, what he would have found would have been very disturbing indeed. The weapon in question was being kept in a box under Lieutenant Justin Maneris' bed.

As to why, that was Justin's secret to himself, part of a plan that would at the very least cost him his career.
Me'erta had long since lost count of the days they had been kept in the tent. At this point, the only way of telling how much time had passed was how much their beards had grown. Me'erta had even started to help Ulam and Gadren dig their escape tunnel, watching the guard.

A guard was now posted outside the entrance continuously. Me'erta at first worried that the surface dwellers had done this because they suspected an escape plot, but nothing else had occured. Sirreh had overheard a conversation between two of the guards, mentioning a "opposition" of some sort. This made Me'erta wonder if a rescue had actually come.

Me'erta mentioned this to Gadren, who had said, "It's obvious that if there is a rescue team out there, there are not going to take the risk to actually rescue us. Our escape goes on as planned."

The injured man had been visiting infrequently. He never said anything; he just looked around the tent and exited. Worryingly, he often stared at where the hole was being dug, but he had never said anything.

So the digging continued, slowly.
Justin's plan was put into execution, two weeks the first meeting between humans and the D'ni. This anniversary had nothing to do with this action; Justin had acted then only because it was convenient. Watson had reported that the prisoner was becoming reasonably competent in English skills. Justin had also noticed the prisoners had moved the furniture around in the tent; some the sleeping pads were pushed against one of the walls, suggesting they were trying to burrow their way out. Justin had not reported this, he wanted to keep the guard of the prisoners as light as possible.

Justin lay on his bed, listening to the sounds of the camp going to sleep. It was almost midnight before he moved. Justin sat up, and moved the box out from under his bed with his uninjured arm. He opened it and took out the prisoner's gun, checking that the tranquilizers were still loaded.

Justin exited the tent, awkwardly carrying the gun with one hand. Apart from the unnatural orange glow of the camp lighting, the night was dark and moonless. It took much less time to reach the mess tent than Justin would have liked. He sighed quietly, and prepared the gun.

Corporal Ramos was the soldier assigned to guard duty that night. Justin reflected on the irony of this, then suddenly realizing he had no way of aiming the gun properly. It had been designed for a two hand grip, one hand on the trigger, and one hand holding a grip halfway down the barrel. Justin lay himself on the ground in the prone position, holding the trigger with his uninjured hand, pushing the handgrip into the sandy ground for support. He aimed at Ramos' leg, hoping to minimize physical injury. Forgive me, corporal, he thought as he pulled the trigger.

The bullet hit Ramos just below his knee. The corporal let out a short, loud shout, then collapsed into unconsciousness. Justin tensed, listening for sounds of waking, but there was only the quiet hum of fluorescent lighting.

He stood up and walked towards the tent.

The four prisoners were all awake, staring at Justin, transfixed by his unexpected appearance. Two of them were in the corner of the tent, quickly covering up the hole they had been digging. Justin ignored this. He said "Do any of you understand me?"

There was silence. The four prisoners continued to stare at Justin.

He sighed. "Look, I don't have time for this. I know that one of you has been learning English for the past two weeks. Which one of you is it?"

One of the prisoners stood up. "I here, Lutenent Manerus," he said haltingly.

"Good, ok, ok, tell your friends that you're getting out of here."

"What you saying?"

Justin tried to keep his voice down, but his frustration was showing. "You're, you're, you know, going back to that place you came from, Dunny!"

"Ah! D'ni!"

"Yes, Dunny! Tell them, ok?"

The man talked to the other prisoners quickly in their language. The other men started gathering their belongings, seemingly moving in slow motion.

Finally, the four men were ready. Justin gestured for them to follow. They made their way across the camp, Justin listening for any sound of another person.

They were out of the camp now, Justin in front, walking across the expanse between the camp and the tents surrounding them. Then, Justin heard it.

"MANERIS!"

He turned around.

Moss, eerily backlit by the camp lights, was running behind them, pistol in his hand.

Justin, not taking his eyes off Moss, shouted to the prisoners "Go fast!" They seemed to understand, as they started running.

Moss shouted again, "What the HELL are you doing?!"

Justin did not reply. He was trying to run backwards, not wanting to turn away from Moss. Justin still had the gun. He pointed it at Moss, not knowing what that would accomplish.

The answer came soon enough. Moss fired his pistol twice. The first bullet missed Justin, impacting in the dirt behind him. The second did not miss.

Justin screamed as pain tore through his thigh. He fell to the ground. No tranquilizer would ease the pain this time. He tried to deliberately pass out, but of course that did not work.

Moss was a looming shadow above him, the metal of the gun glinting in the orange light of the camp.

"You've screwed up, Lieutenant. Big time."

The only thing registering in Justin's mind was the gun. "Murder! Murder!" he shouted despite the pain, wanting to wake somebody in the camp.

"Don't be a fool, Lieutenant." Moss said, still pointing the gun at Justin. "I'm not going to kill you. You will eventually die, no doubt. That's what happens to traitors."

There were footsteps approaching now. Moss looked in the direction of the sound. He stopped pointing his gun at Justin, and pointed it at something out of Justin's field of vision. There was unease on Moss' face now.

"I'm warning you, I'm armed! Step back!" Whoever he was talking to apparently had not listened to this, because Moss started taking backwards steps, away from Justin. He lowered his gun, and shouted, "Fine! There's only me now, but there will be more of us!"

Moss turned and ran back to camp.

Justin heard voices and felt someone pick him up, but did not pay attention to where he was being taken. All he thought was Moss was correct.
Veovis sat in his quarters, activating the communicator Suahrnir had given him. A report had been given before the Council, but Veovis had found it lacking. There had been no mention of Guild Captain Patul's belief that the survey team was in a surface dweller village.

The panicked voice of Guildsman Venash issued from the communicator. "Ahh...Lord Veovis! Now is not a good time, my lord!"

Veovis was not amused by this, "I feel that it is a perfectly good time for me to inquire on your actions, guildsmen. What is going on?"

"Ahh...there is...we found the survey team, my lord."

"What, you attacked the surface dwellers?"

"No my lord, we...they were escorted over to us by the surface dwellers"

"What?"

"Yes, I know, my lord, it's strange, but, ahh...I am not talking to anybody, Guild Captain, I..."

Another voice came out of the communicator, a deeper, sterner voice. "Who is this?" the voice asked.

"I am Grand Master Veovis of the Guild of Writers, who is this?" Veovis asked angrily, covering up his nervousness. He had been exposed.

"Oh really?" the voice replied, dodging the question, "I did not know the Lords would be contacting us. But if I had known, I would have expected Lord Ri'anis, Grand Master of the Guild of Maintainers. Tell me, my lord, why did you contact one of the junior members of my expedition? Surely, my lord, information would have been given to you by my superiors at Council."

"Insolent dog! How dare you talk to me in that tone!" Veovis flung the communicator against the wall. It landed on the floor, undamaged.

Veovis rubbed his temples. He would be investigated. There was no preventing it now. Even though he was head of the Writer's Guild, interference into the actions of the Maintainers would be seen as a highly questionable act. He realized now how obvious his trail had been. He made known his dissatisfaction of the Council's decision well known, and had involved two Maintainers in his scheme. He could only hope that he could bully Suahrnir and Venash into silence.
Frank woke to sounds of argument. He sat up in his bed, and rubbed his eyes wearily. He could make out the voice of Colonel Moss, shouting something about the prisoners being missing and Ramos being dead and who knows what.

Frank got up and exited his tent.

There was a circle of people in the centre of the camp. In the middle was Moss, face red, shouting at Loftin. "The prisoners are gone, Loftin! Gone! I'm sure you're behind this somehow!" Moss yelled, gesticulating wildly. Frank winced, noticing that Moss was holding a pistol.

"Why do you think that, Colonel? I was asleep until you rudely woke me up two minutes ago."

"You put Maneris up to something! He's lying bleeding in the middle of the desert now, because of you!"

"What, you shot him?"

Moss spluttered, "Yes, I shot him! He was letting them escape!"

Loftin smiled, "Well, I'm sure glad he did. If we had kept them for much longer, I'm sure their friends out there would have tried to free them forcefully. Nobody would have liked that, I'm sure."

"You were in on this! You are all traitors!" Moss turned to the men standing around him, "You've all been against me!"

Loftin just stared at Moss, and shook his head. "So what are you going to do, Colonel? Shoot me? Arrest me? Hit me over the head?"

"What?!"

"You're obviously under great emotional stress, Colonel, so I think that until we sort things out, I should take charge."

"No, you get back!" Moss started to swing the gun up into a threatening position. Loftin, however, brought his fist sharply down on Moss' shoulder. Moss dropped the gun, which Loftin quickly grabbed.

Everyone stared at Loftin, including the two soldiers who should have been on guard duty.

"Well, lets go get Maneris before he bleeds to death, ok?" Loftin started walking out of the camp. "Keep him in his tent until we get back." he added, pointing to Moss.

The two soldiers flanked Moss, face red with anger, but he said nothing and clutched his shoulder.

"Well, come on then!" Loftin called back to the group standing in the camp.

Posted Image
Something I've noticed.

#54 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Oh, Justin. What have you started? :evil:

#55 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

View PostShinkansen, on Oct 31 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

Justin did not reply. He was trying to run backwards, not wanting to turn away from Moss. Justin still had the gun. He pointed it at Moss, not knowing what that would accomplish.

The answer came soon enough. Moss fired his pistol twice.

Do people never learn that pointing guns at armed people is not a good idea? :miw:

Posted Image
Something I've noticed.

:rotflol: :evil: :mad:

View PostLostthyme, on Oct 31 2009, 08:16 AM, said:

Oh, Justin. What have you started? :evil:

Well, they would have dug their way out anyway.

#56 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Oct 31 2009, 01:51 PM, said:

View PostShinkansen, on Oct 31 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

The answer came soon enough. Moss fired his pistol twice.

Do people never learn that pointing guns at armed people is not a good idea? :evil:

It's become a recurring theme. :miw:

Of course, one would hope that a reasonable person would not shoot an injured guy who can barely aim.
If they're reasonable, of course.

#57 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:01 AM

LMAO!!! :rotflol: :evil: :mad: Another awesome chapter!
:looks at the corrector: Ah, yes, I have had such problems with my vista. Know what you should do? Make it "add" all those D'ni names and words. My brother kind of freaked out last time he realised that after making several mistakes, the computer was trying to correct him in D'ni, but well... :evil:
Guess we should start a D'ni program for windows an mac! XD Then D'ni google, D'ni firefox... hey, it all exists for crazy languages like Breton and Basque, so why not D'ni? :looks in the distance at a big crowd: One day... one day.... it will all happen. Because I have a dream in which all the D'ni- never mind that! :miw:

@ Gloa: OMG, no! I missed all the tin and possum posts over the hols! Gotta catch up quick! :(

#58 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Nine

"The last time humans dealt with a situation like this was when Columbus landed on San Salvador Island, seven hundred years ago. That first contact resulted in the subjugation and enslavement of two entire continents for five hundred years. Therefore, that it is somewhat amazing that the United States, in the midst of a mindset of suspicion and mistrust, could forge positive relations with a society more alien than any nation of the surface."
-from The Road to Ae'gura, published 2204, by Roald Edvarson, University of Olso
The entire Council had been assembled to hear the first official report on the surface dwellers. There was still a small team on the surface, continuing the observation, but the most of the survey team and Maintainers had been recalled.

The reporting had been going on for three days. It was not so much as a report as an inquiry; the Council had wanted to know exactly what had happened.

Throughout it all, Veovis had sat uncomfortably in his chair, waiting for the moment when his recent actions would be mentioned. So far, however, nothing had been said. Perhaps rouge actions by one lone Lord were insignificant to the colossal events occurring simultaneously. Still, Veovis had not paid much attention to the recommendations of the Survey team and the Maintainers. They had recommended that relations be established with the surface dwellers.

It was now the fourth day. Both sides were allowed final speeches on the issue. Lord Aitrus, of course, had taken up leadership of those who wanted continued contact.

He was finishing up, "...in conclusion, the best possible course of action would be to pursue relations. These people are incredibly different than us, but perhaps we can learn things from them. From what little we have learned about them, since the time we have been living in this cavern, they have advanced from a people barely in control of their environment to the masters of the entire surface. And they have done that without help or interference from us. Perhaps we can learn something from that. I am not asking to rush into things; if there is one thing that the D'ni never do, it is rush. I await this Council's decision. Thank you." Aitrus returned to his seat.

The Council speaker spoke. "Any wish to speak on behalf of the opposition?"

Veovis stood up.

"The Council recognizes Lord Veovis of the Guild of Writers."

Veovis began to speak. "As Lord Aitrus has said, a great choice lies before us. We must make the right choice. So far, we have been making the wrong choices. Every time the D'ni have pursued relations with outsiders, it has resulted in tragedy. History has proved that outsiders, when not barbaric primitives, are ruthless and scheming, wanting to conquer and destroy our very society. It is unlikely that these 'surface dwellers' are any different. They have existed for thousands of years without moral guidance from us; which even book-worlders benefited from. The survey team has reported that they are nearly equal to us in terms of technology. That alone is reason enough to not to associate with them. Technology combined with barbaric impulses will only serve to increase the potential for destruction. I ask you, do not be seduced promises of those who have been blinded in the name of 'scientific exploration'. Reject any further dealings with these surface dwellers."

He sat back down.

"Now that both sides have spoken, we will vote on the issue," the Council Speaker said. "Those against continuing relations with the surface dwellers?"

Many Councilmen raised their hands; nearly half.

"Those in favour of relations with the surface dwellers?"

More Councilmen raised their hands. Veovis sighed.

"Abstentions?"

A few Councilmen raised their hands, including, Veovis noticed, Lord Ri'anis.

"The resolution is passed one-hundred sixty-two against, one-hundred eighty-one for, with seventeen abstentions. This Council is in recess until further notice."
The Secretary of State walked at a quick pace through the carpeted hallways of the White House. He had a meeting with the President, and he was running late. He was late because, of course, he had wanted to confirm the story before the meeting. The whole thing just seemed too bizarre to be true.

He arrived at the door of the Oval Office, and walked in.

The President sat behind his desk, reading a memo. He looked up as the Secretary walked in and smiled "Ah, George, come in, I got your note. Please tell me this is a hoax."

"I'm sorry Mr. President, but it all appears to be true. I've had assurances from both the Army and the USGS."

The President's smile became rather fixed. "So, there is a race of humans living under New Mexico, and they built a tunnel just to visit us?"

The Secretary smiled in return, "It would appear so, Mr. President."

"So, George, what are we going to do about it?"

"Well, Mr. President, the people, Dunny, I believe they call themselves, are maintaining a small camp near the contact site, no doubt awaiting response from their government. We have a small team continuing work on the language problem, sir."

"It seems that everything is in capable hands, George. What do you need me to do?"

"One thing is two of the men involved in the contact, Colonel Eric Moss and Lieutenant Justin Maneris, are currently on trial. If they are found guilty and discharged, they could become a potential security risk. Me and the Security Advisor feel that it would be better if they were not removed from military service. If you could, Mr. President, contact the judge in the trial..."

"I suppose I could do that. Anything else, George?"

"If relations are to continue with these Dunny, Mr. President, an order on your behalf would be needed. Revealing the nature of these people to Congress and the general public might be, ah, problematic, as I'm sure you would agree, Mr. President."

The President ran his hand through his greying hair. "Turns out ET was under our feet the whole time. Leave it to him to show up in an election year."
The past three weeks had been mostly a blur for Justin. It had been one long slide from the last day at the camp to his brief recovery at a hospital to the trial.

The trial itself had taken up nearly two of the three weeks, because of the exceptional circumstances of the situation. Security concerns had made choosing the judge and lawyers somewhat difficult. Also, as most of the witnesses were civilians, special precautions had to taken.

Still, a decision had been reached. It might have taken months in a civilian court.

On the day of the judge's announcement, the large courtroom was mostly empty. Moss and Justin were there, along with their lawyers. Of the witnesses that had been called, only Frank, Carl and Zandi were there, looking uncomfortable in dark suits. The rest were back at the camp, working with the Dunny people.

The judge, strangely angular in his crisp uniform, exited from his office and sat down in his chair. He spoke, glancing at notes. "Let me first say that both of your actions are deserving of dishounarable discharges at the very least. You have both acted in ways unbecoming of officers of the United States Army. However," he paused, "there are others who have taken an interest in both of your fates. Let's just say 'security concerns' play a part in my decision.

"Therefore, it is my decision that you will both remain in the Army. However, you must not go without punishment. You will both be demoted and placed under supervision for one year. Also, your pay and rank will be frozen for two years."

The judge leaned forward, looking at Moss and Justin with an odd expression. "You may have escaped the gallows today, gentlemen, but mark my words, if either of you continue to misbehave, even national security will not save you."

The judge returned to a normal posture and shuffled his papers. "This court has ruled. You may both leave." The judge stood up and exited the courtroom.

Moss stood up quickly, and exited without a word. Justin, however, remained, thinking to himself. At that point, he would have rather been discharged and imprisoned than kept and told to work under Moss. Be good, don't act up, and I can be out in two years, Justin thought to himself.
Lord Ri'anis sat in his office, waiting for that man, the Secretary?, to arrive. Whoever the surface dweller was, apparently he was trained in forging relations with outsiders. There was no D'ni equivalent to that, but long ago, Maintainers been responsible for dealings with the ahrotahntee, so Lord Ri'anis had been appointed the official representative of D'ni to the surface.

Eventually, the Secretary entered the room, a translator at his side. The Secretary wore a dark blue tunic over a white shirt, a red-coloured neck cloth tied under his collar. He sat down, and said to Ri'anis through the translator, "I'm sorry I'm late, Lord Ri'anis, but there were some details that I had to smooth over with the President. He couldn't come because he had to appear before Congress." He placed a document on Ri'anis' desk.

"I understand," Ri'anis said, not really understanding. The translator had left the words President and Congress untranslated, presumably because there were no D'ni equivalents. "You do understand, Lord Secretary, that any 'agreement' we make here is not final. I am merely reviewing this agreement in order to give recommendations to the Council."

"I understand. Normally, we would run a treaty by Congress, but given the circumstances..."

Ri'anis blinked. He wished the man would stop mentioning "Congress". It sounded like a dirty word.

Ri'anis picked up the document, and scanned it. It had been written in both D'ni and the surface dweller language. Ri'anis had no idea what the surface dweller text said, but from what he could tell, the document was incredibly vague. However, there was noting overtly sinister in it.

He turned towards the Secretary. "I am sure that this will pass Council fairly easily, Lord Secretary."

The Secretary smiled. "Call me George."

Ri'anis just stared, and shook his head. These surface dwellers were strange, no doubt, but there were not hostile or, as Veovis would put it, evil.

Ri'anis stood up and made for the exit. "As I said, George, this agreement will no doubt be approved by the Council."
Veovis paced back and forth on his veranda, muttering to himself. The past year had not been good to him. The whole incident with the communicator had been forgotten, but that was not was bothering him. Relations with the surface dwellers had continued, despite his protests. A group of them had even visited the city, men in with dark coats and strange cloths tied about their necks. Veovis, of course, had been forced to converse with them, listening to them prattle on about their world in broken D'ni. They came from a place called "Amer Riga" or something of the sort. Veovis had smiled throughout the whole ordeal, trying not to breath too much. For all he knew, they carried infectious diseases.

What upset Veovis even more was a "treaty" had been passed by the Council not two weeks ago. Veovis had read it. It prattled on for pages about "spirit of cooperation" and "joint scientific and cultural endeavours" and other such rubbish. To Veovis, the document had given D'ni over to invasion and exploitation. He had, of course, denounced it openly, but it seemed no one had listened.

Veovis rubbed his temples, trying to calm himself. He knew that some of the Writers still supported him, even if only out of loyalty. But what could the Writers do? Refuse to Write?

Veovis chuckled to himself, and looked out across the lake.

The view was quite beautiful. The entirety of the Cavern was visible from K'veer; from the great vertical spike of Ae'gura to the cobweb of lights that was the City. It was his city, his people. He must protect it.

Then Veovis remembered how the people had wanted the tunnel, how the dregs of the lower and middle classes had supported contact with the surface, all because of those damn bones. They deserved their fate.

As rage rose in Veovis' heart, something gave way. A great pain suddenly coursed through Veovis' chest. He fell to the ground, never to rise again.

Three hours later, the great bell of Ae'gura tolled out the death notice of Lord Veovis, Grand Master of the Guild of Writers, last reasonable opponent of contact with the surface.

Five hours later, a small group of men meet, forming their own opinions and theories about Veovis' death.
Me'erta sat on the chair, his goggles resting uncomfortably on his sweating face. Why the surface dwellers had chosen to have the ceremony on the surface, in the heat, he had no idea. A perfectly useful chamber had been recently built just below them.

Me'erta looked around. The volcano was visible in the distance, but the tunnel no longer came out there. A diversion, ending in a surface terminal had been built. A small complex of buildings had sprung up around the terminal.

Me'erta returned his gaze to the stage. He was sitting on the end of a row of chairs. The entire survey team, Gadren, Ulam, and Sirreh, was there, along with the four Lords (a replacement for Veovis had not been appointed), and Captain Patul of the rescue team. Of the original group of surface dwellers, only the old man, Loftin and Maneris, or as Me'erta liked to think of him, "Lutenent Manerus", were there. Me'erta had no idea why the others were not present. He dismissed it, thinking that they were busy.

He shifted uneasily in his chair. What was taking the surface dweller leader so long?

Finally, something appeared on the horizon. Me'erta thought it at first a bird, but as it approached, he realized it was a machine of some sort. Accompanying its arrival, a low, rhythmic thumping grew louder and louder.

The thing landed some distance away from the stage. A man in a white hat and blue uniform jumped out of the machine, placed a stepstool on the ground, and stood to attention. A band of more men in blue started playing a tune of sorts. Me'erta remembered the music he had heard of Phil's music device, and was struck how different these two pieces were.

Out of the machine stepped the leader of the surface dwellers, wearing the customary tunic and neck cloth. He smiled and waved at the small crowd gathered. He walked up to the stage and stood behind the podium and began a speech.

Me'erta tried to listen to it, having attempted to learn the language, but he quickly lost interest. The only real phrase that caught his attention was something along the lines of "a whole new frontier in our own backyard", which struck him as hopelessly silly.

The leader finished his speech, and there was some applause. Lord Aitrus then stood up, and placed a Book on the podium before the leader. The leader opened the Book, placed his hand on the swirling image, glowed momentarily, and vanished into nothingness.
KGB Colonel Gigori Chekov read the report, handed to him by some Lieutenant, with a feeling of unease. The report was a summary of something that had been noticed in a routine satellite sweep of the United States. A complex of buildings had sprung up in the middle of the New Mexican desert, a public highway had been rerouted.

Chekov rubbed his forehead. There was not much he could do about this. Ten years ago, he would have sent an agent, but now, funds were tight, no doubt due to increased military spending. He wrote a note on the bottom of the report: "continue satellite observation, keep me posted." That was about all he could do.

Gaah, I killed Veovis. I feel so...evil. :evil:

#59 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 5 2009, 04:02 PM, said:

The President ran his hand through his greying hair. "Turns out ET was under our feet the whole time. Leave it to him to show up in an election year."

It's election year? Oh dear, everyone is doomed now.

As rage rose in Veovis' heart, something gave way. A great pain suddenly coursed through Veovis' chest. He fell to the ground, never to rise again.

Three hours later, the great bell of Ae'gura tolled out the death notice of Lord Veovis, Grand Master of the Guild of Writers, last reasonable opponent of contact with the surface.

Five hours later, a small group of men meet, forming their own opinions and theories about Veovis' death.

:evil: Veovis is dead... Well, that should change things. Last "reasonable" opponent...

KGB Colonel Gigori Chekov read the report, handed to him by some Lieutenant, with a feeling of unease. The report was a summary of something that had been noticed in a routine satellite sweep of the United States. A complex of buildings had sprung up in the middle of the New Mexican desert, a public highway had been rerouted.

Obviously they're building a mall there because land is so cheap.

#60 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

Oh no... Veovis died... D:

#61 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:13 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 5 2009, 07:40 PM, said:

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 5 2009, 04:02 PM, said:

It's election year? Oh dear, everyone is doomed now.

ahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :miw: :rotflol: Indeed!

These surface dwellers were strange, no doubt, but there were not hostile or, as Veovis would put it, evil.

Totally agree with Ri'Anis! XD

#62 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

Alright, here's two things that don't really add to the plot, but they kind of bridge the gap between chapter nine and the next chapter. There's a bit of a gap between the two, mostly because nothing really important happens. Lots of boring, routine stuff.

Article from the Washington Post, April 12, 2010

"Army Unveils New Body Armour-
The Pentagon announced today a new type of body armour. Called 'Narnex', the Army hopes that the new material will replace Kevlar as the main type of bulletproof body protection. "Eventually, Narnex will applied in many ways, not only in body armour, but also in tanks, aircraft, and ships," said General Harold Pritcher, at a press conference today. Narnex, whose composition is still classified, is about the same weight as Kevlar, but nearly twenty times harder. In field tests, a half inch-thick casing of Narnex protected a rat from the detonation of a Tomahawk missile. Kevlar manufacturer DuPont has not released a statement about the Pentagon's revelation. Narnex was developed directly by the military, rather than by a defense contractor."

Article from the Wall Street Journal, September 2, 2015

"Zandcorp to Buy AT&T-
AT&T, the largest American telecommunications firm is being bought up in a $1.2 billion deal. Zandcorp, which effectively blasted fiber optic communications into the past with its 'holonet' communications network, had been eyeing to buy out its last remaining competitor. A lawsuit is expected, as many view Zandcorp's moves a violation of anti-trust laws. Still, it seems Zandcorp has a special immunity when it comes to expansion of its business interests. Started as a defense contractor in 1997, Zandcorp has since expanded into telecommunications, manufacturing, and even the video game industry. In a related story that has had network-neutrality types howling, Apple has announced the release of the iNet, a combination camera, video phone, and information storage unit that is only compatible with Zandcorp's holonet."

#63 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

Interesting... so is the U.S. actually attempting to keep the D'ni secret? I mean, surely people would connect the new advanced alien race with sudden new miracle technologies. :evil:

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 8 2009, 05:36 PM, said:

In field tests, a half inch-thick casing of Narnex protected a rat from the detonation of a Tomahawk missile.

"How should we test this material, boss?"
"I don't know. How about you get a case and put a rat inside it so it looks like we're being scientific. Then shoot a Tomahawk missile at it-"
Posted Image
"-or maybe a nuke. Do you think they'll let us use a nuke?" :miw:

#64 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 8 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

Interesting... so is the U.S. actually attempting to keep the D'ni secret? I mean, surely people would connect the new advanced alien race with sudden new miracle technologies. :evil:

I was going to call the iNet the 'iKai', but I thought that might have too much of a giveaway. :evil:

Anyway, most people probably would not notice if the Army doesn't rush things and they play their cards right. The Contact takes place in 1984, if you haven't figured that out already, and the articles are twenty-six and thirty-one years later. A KI is not that much different than an iPhone, really, and Nara could be disguised as a really clever carbon-nanotube composite.

The only really 'miraculous' technologies are Books and the fusion-compounder. I really doubt those won't be sold in Wal-Marts until at least 2100.

I think that keeping D'ni secret might be more for D'ni's sake than security's sake. I'm sure the Council would not approve of tourists going down there for vacations.

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 8 2009, 05:36 PM, said:

In field tests, a half inch-thick casing of Narnex protected a rat from the detonation of a Tomahawk missile.

"How should we test this material, boss?"
"I don't know. How about you get a case and put a rat inside it so it looks like we're being scientific. Then shoot a Tomahawk missile at it-"
Posted Image
"-or maybe a nuke. Do you think they'll let us use a nuke?" :miw:

There is no overkill. :rotflol:

I needed something that Kevlar obviously would not survive a hit from, and a Tomahawk missle was the first thing that came to mind. A nuke might work, though the rat might be a little overheated afterward...

#65 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 8 2009, 06:17 PM, said:

I was going to call the iNet the 'iKai', but I thought that might have too much of a giveaway. :rotflol:

Because we weren't going to make the connection without that hint? :miw:

Anyway, most people probably would not notice if the Army doesn't rush things and they play their cards right. The Contact takes place in 1984, if you haven't figured that out already, and the articles are twenty-six and thirty-one years later. A KI is not that much different than an iPhone, really, and Nara could be disguised as a really clever carbon-nanotube composite.

But the KI uses a completely different method of communication. I mean, it doesn't need cell phone towers and can even pick up calls from other Ages (so it's probably not using radio waves). Does anyone notice that these new phones are not emitting any signal remotely like previous long distance communicators?

I think that keeping D'ni secret might be more for D'ni's sake than security's sake. I'm sure the Council would not approve of tourists going down there for vacations.

And think of the global political troubles. Everyone would want there own connections to D'ni, and then everyone would want to send negotiators with various sneaky plans and nationalistic motives... Then the scientific interest, the conspiracy theorists and cultists, the various reactions to this new race (x-e-n-o-p-h-o-b-i-a - yep, I can spell it), the reworking of all sorts of alliances (to join with/protect against the D'ni and allies)...

#66 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 8 2009, 10:07 PM, said:

But the KI uses a completely different method of communication. I mean, it doesn't need cell phone towers and can even pick up calls from other Ages (so it's probably not using radio waves). Does anyone notice that these new phones are not emitting any signal remotely like previous long distance communicators?

I'm sure someone noticed, the same way that someone noticed that DVD's operate differently than VHS tapes.

Not quite the same, though, but new technologies can be different enough that they are not backwards-compatible with older technologies. And be different enough that they seem a little strange to us.

Most people will probably not care though. All they'll notice is how convenient it is now that they can call their friend in London from the middle of Antarctica without having to worry about signal strength. :evil:

Though of course, someone will no doubt wonder about the fact that these new technologies are somewhat different than what we've got currently.

#67 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 9 2009, 05:55 AM, said:

...Not quite the same, though, but new technologies can be different enough that they are not backwards-compatible with older technologies. And be different enough that they seem a little strange to us.

Most people will probably not care though. All they'll notice is how convenient it is now that they can call their friend in London from the middle of Antarctica without having to worry about signal strength. :miw:

Though of course, someone will no doubt wonder about the fact that these new technologies are somewhat different than what we've got currently.

And then go "Hmm, a defense contractor that probably started somewhere in the Southwest suddenly has an incredible new technology without any sign of prior research or even previous scientific study about how it works. Oh, and they also have a bunch of other interesting new technologies, the government likes them, and also the Army is bringing out new miracle materials..." :evil: Conspiracy theorists are going to be so happy in this world (or in basically any world with the D'ni - especially since they are so humanoid, have amazing communication tech, and tunnel up into the American desert).

#68 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:02 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 9 2009, 12:14 PM, said:

*snip*

Now you're just getting silly. :P

This chapter is a little shorter, but it is more of an introduction to Part 2. Just pretend that the first nine chapters were an unlabeled Part 1. :P

Ten

"HENDERSON, PHIL (1963-2029)- The twelfth and final American Ambassador to the original D'ni government, served from 2024 to his death in 2029. Due to the special nature of his post, Henderson (and his predecessors) enjoyed a certain amount of autonomy in the decision-making process, making choices independently of both the President and Congress. He continued the general policies that had been established over the previous forty-five years, that of limited commercial and scientific cooperation."
-Encyclopedia Britannica, 2210 edition

Phil looked around his large office. Being the Ambassador did have its perks, no doubt. It was furnished in what Phil called jokingly the "Ikea style", but the office served its purpose.

The entire Embassy complex had been wedged into the Guild District on Ae'gura, the first new building in the area for thousands of years. It was a squat, white building, similar to the hundreds of American embassies that littered the surface; making no attempt to blend in with its surroundings. For instance, it had a roof.

Still, it was better than the old embassy. That had been on the surface; a glorified trailer with temperamental air conditioning. Phil had worked there, after a radical change in college majors that was hard to explain to his parents and counselor, as one of the many assistants to the first Ambassador. That was nearly thirty five years ago.

The intercom light on Phil's desk beeped. He pressed it.

A hologram of his secretary flickered into life. "The Guildsmen who scheduled the appointment are here, Mr. Ambassador."

"Good, send them in."

The hologram dissipated, and the door at the far end of the office opened.

Five D'ni Guildsmen entered the room. Most were clad in the black and dark red robes of the Writers, but Phil noticed one man, thin and rat-like with a bald head, in the light salmon of the Healers.

Phil recognized the men as belonging to the Nationalist D'ni Faction. That was not their actually name; the actual name was "Fahrah[1]" meaning "unity". Phil's predecessor, Ambassador Maneris, had nicknamed them the Nationalists, and the name had stuck. The whole movement had started with Lord Veovis, who had died a year after the Contact. Most of the faction members were Writers, though of course there were members in nearly every guild. Every ambassador had been graced by their presence at least once. However, this was the first time they had visited Phil. He wondered what had taken them so long with him; he had been ambassador for nearly five years.

Some of the men sat on the various chairs in the office, the rest stood.

"So, then Guildsmen, what can I do for you?" Phil asked in English. One could usually assume that at least one of a group of guildsmen could speak English.

One of the Guildsmen spoke, "I am sure that you are aware of our concerns, Mr. Ambassador, but you are a busy man, so they may have slipped your mind.

"Me and my companions find the current situation less than satifactory. The people of the surface are have free access to our City, yet we are confined to a small area of the surface. You have adapted our technologies for your own gain. While you profit, D'ni's secrets are thrown to the winds. This is unacceptable We want a fair and equitable relationship."

Phil folded his hands. He had been expecting this. "First, Master uh...?"

"Guild Master Veralm, Ambassador."

"Master Veralm, firstly, we are as much detained from your city as you are from the surface. We don't permit unauthorized personnel to get within five miles of the tunnel site. I'll admit that we have access to a greater portion of your City than you do to the surface, but to be frank, me and my staff are the only real permanent 'surface dwellers' here. We rarely leave the Embassy. Your citizens are left unharassed, your Ages are barely visited by us. Believe me, we could be a real pain, but that would gain us nothing.

"The knowledge-sharing programme is flawed, I'll admit, but we're trying our best to keep things fair. Your Archivists no longer keep records on paper, now that we've given them computers, your ferries are no longer driven by oar. You all were perfectly capable of accomplishing these changes yourselves, no doubt, but you did not do that. Our societies have very different ways of thinking. I think that is the biggest thing that we can learn from each other. We were doing fine on our own, you were doing fine on your own, but now here we are."

The Healer cut in, "Yes, here we are, but as you said, we were doing fine by ourselves." The Healer's voice had a slight awkwardness about it, as if every word was a struggle for him. "What if the people of Dach'nee told you to leave, eh? Would you go and never come back?"

"I, uh...well, I hope that it would never come to that, and I doubt it will, but if the Council and the D'ni people really wanted that, we would leave. Though of course, we would try to do everything possible to prevent a situation like that-"

"See, that is the problem with you, you are all arrogant." the Healer interjected. He opened his mouth to continue, but Veralm raised his hand.

"I am sure that the Ambassador would do the right thing in any situation," he said tersely. "Thank you for your time Ambassador." The five men stood up. "Of all the Ambassadors, you were probably the most cooperative."

They left the room, the Healer glancing back at Phil with a curious expression.
Mikhail Glazkov sat at the desk, reviewing his notes. He had been sent on a journey to make sense of what was an increasingly unsettling and strange situation.

The journey had started with a single, yellowed report that had been found deep in the Foreign Intelligence Service Archives. The report was nearly forty-five years old, dating from the time of the old Soviet Union. Spurred on by the report, an investigation had been ordered. There seemed to be a connection between the out of place military installation in New Mexico, and the strange advancement of the American forces. Intelligence reports had indicated that there had been very little development on the US Army's two advances, Narnex and the new communications network. There had been brief demonstrations for the media, of course, but the time in between the release and the start of the development was under two years, unprecedented even for the United States.

Then there was the issue of Zandcorp. They had helped develop both Narnex and the communication system now being commercially sold as the iNet. Zandcorp seemed to have enjoyed a special immunity from government regulators.

Of course, Glazkov had known this before arriving in America. He had been sent to try and tie everything together. He could have just traveled to the base, but given the fact that it was vaguely labeled on maps as "military installation", the whole area was no doubt under heavy guard, making any infiltration rather difficult. So instead, Glazkov had made the Library of Congress and the National Archives his home, sifting through mountains of both digital and paper documents. What he had discovered was rather interesting, and puzzling.

The first document was a death notice dating from the mid 2000's, for a one Dr. John Loftin. Included in the notice was a guest list for the memorial service. The people on the list were somewhat surprising, to say the least. Besides the usual family and friends, there had been several people, who on the surface, had no connection to Dr. Loftin.

First, there was General Harold Pritcher, who had been head of Military Research and Development at the time of Narnex's release. Then there was Phillip Henderson, who, according to State Department payrolls, had been an assistant to a Ambassador Justin Maneris at the time. Glazkov had done a check on both Maneris and Henderson, finding out that Maneris had since retired, and Henderson had replaced him. What was odd was they were both listed as active ambassadors, but the country they served was not listed.

The last two out of place guests were two geologists, a Dr. Carl Standsky and a Frank Hutton. Dr. Standsky had been a mid-level supervisor at the New Mexico Geological Commission, where Loftin had spent most of his time working, so perhaps they had known each other. But then there was Hutton.

Frank Hutton, as far as the documentation told, had been a low-level bureaucrat for the USGS most of his life. The only other piece of documentation to his name was a report filed in late 1984 about an earthquake in the Carlsbad, New Mexico area. The report had mentioned that there had been a earthquake on June 2, 1984, and mentioned that it manifested itself somewhat differently than a normal earthquake, but as there had been no damage, the report did not elaborate. However, where the report listed the epicentre had been near to where that military installation was now.

It all came back to New Mexico. Loftin, Standsky, and Hutton had all worked in New Mexico. Ambassador Henderson had gone to the University of New Mexico. Zandcorp was headquartered in Carlsbad, New Mexico. The base was in New Mexico. Rosewell was in New Mexico. Were the "little green men" conspiracy theorists right?

As much as Glazkov would have liked to stay in comfortable Washington, there was no denying it. He would have to go to New Mexico.

[1] I made this word up. :D

#69 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 11 2009, 07:02 AM, said:

The twelfth and final

Ooh, ominousness.

"What if the people of Dach'nee told you to leave, eh? Would you go and never come back?"

Dach'nee! :P

What was odd was they were both listed as active ambassadors, but the country they served was not listed.

Ambassadors to New Mexico, of course. It's special.

#70 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

I made that word up! :P

Haha! Can you seriously do that? If so, I'll make one I've been wanting to make up for a looooong time- but wait, we're neither D'ni, nor Rand Miller, so I don't think we'd be allowed to do that! :P Anyway, that's OK, I guess: your word sounds "D'ni-ish" alright! ^^

@ Gloa and Shinkansen: Hahaha! I love how you wrote it "Dach'nee"! XD Lol, I write it "Duhkh'nee", but maybe it's more of a "uh" than "ah"... BTW, Oh great Gloa, wise man on the D'ni subject, what's "Dukh'nee"/"Dach'nee"? Is it supposed to be "D'ni", the city, or D'ni, the culture.... the city, right?

#71 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 11 2009, 12:17 PM, said:

I made that word up! :D

Haha! Can you seriously do that? If so, I'll make one I've been wanting to make up for a looooong time- but wait, we're neither D'ni, nor Rand Miller, so I don't think we'd be allowed to do that! :P Anyway, that's OK, I guess: your word sounds "D'ni-ish" alright! ^^

What I did for that was take the D'ni word for one "Fah" and then added "rah", which is what I guessed was D'ni for "-ness", so we get one-ness, or "Unity". Ta-da! :blink:
I've been trying to avoid using D'ni words so far, because my knowledge of the language begins and ends with "Tagemah! B'soo rekoah! Ta-ta-ta-tahgema, b'soo rekoah." :P

@ Gloa and Shinkansen: Hahaha! I love how you wrote it "Dach'nee"! XD Lol, I write it "Duhkh'nee", but maybe it's more of a "uh" than "ah"... BTW, Oh great Gloa, wise man on the D'ni subject, what's "Dukh'nee"/"Dach'nee"? Is it supposed to be "D'ni", the city, or D'ni, the culture.... the city, right?

Dach'nee/dukh'nee/duck knee is a certain Myst character's mispronunciation of D'ni.

#72 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, I knew that, I just thought it was part of some other dialect you'd made up, since one of your characters used it! :P It wouldn't have surprised me... you're the official D'ni and German language butcher! But then again, you're not the only one... :P plz don't look at me, ppl! ^^

#73 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 11 2009, 09:17 AM, said:

Well, I know he uses it to refer to himself being "Dukh'nee" ("...my people. I am Duck knee..."), and I think he uses it for the city as well (but I can't remember anything specific). He doesn't really have any reason to talk about the language, but he'd probably use it then too.

View PostShinkansen, on Nov 11 2009, 02:24 PM, said:

What I did for that was take the D'ni word for one "Fah" and then added "rah", which is what I guessed was D'ni for "-ness", so we get one-ness, or "Unity". Ta-da! :D
I've been trying to avoid using D'ni words so far, because my knowledge of the language begins and ends with "Tagemah! B'soo rekoah! Ta-ta-ta-tahgema, b'soo rekoah." :P

Choa?

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 11 2009, 03:08 PM, said:

plz don't look at me, ppl! ^^

:P :D :blink: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

#74 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:03 AM

LMAO! Why is Gloa always teasing?

#75 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)